Page 74 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    A couple more for today

18' Cabin Cruiser this is at Pier Point Landing in Long beach Grandpa and the boys would set up demo days to take customers for rides.My dad at the Helm mom in the black outfit The other boat in the shot is also a Arrow Craft. The cabin on this was Fiberglass first use of glass in our shop.
    Here,s a Lancer just out of the spray booth the insides were finish just like the deck and sides.
    Grandpa getting his boat train ready to haul from Factory to our retail outlet
    This is a Vandal new model for 1958 notice the raised deck.It was 16' to handle the new Tower of Power Mercs
    The larger boat behind the Ranchero is the Cabin Cruiser with out the cabin called it a Sport Fisher
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Sanger_Spectra View Post
    Here are some oldies
    *My Dads Cracker Box, they called it "Steam Pot" was a late 50's Champion Hull with a Nail Head Buick. My dad and uncle built the deck on this, my brother who will be 60 in March is sitting on the trunk in one of the pictures.
    *Late 50's Mandella with a Caddy, was a good friends boat, Richard Dyt, had really nice stuff!
    *69 Sanger with a Boss 9 motor, Dad and Brother bought this together in 1979 or 80, under restoration currently.
    *61' or 62' Howard, if I am correct this was the first or second Glass boat out of Howards mold. Same friend with the Mandella owned this one and it was full custom. Had a Keith Black stroker 392 and everything was custom made, they used it as a show boat and towed with a matching 63 Corvette owned by the Brother Andy Dyt. Boat was painted by Junior. Unfortunatly the boat burned to the water in the early 80's, it floated down the river on fire and burned back just befor the engine and went under, engine is in tack and in my brothers garage, just waiting for a project, the full transom with all hardware is hanging in my dads garage, was a stunning boat.
    Some great old pics! thanks ..... also I think the Sanger you own was one of the nicest looking hulls ever made by any manufacture, having one could be my next project as soon as I finish the one I'm on.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeagle View Post
    A couple more for today

18' Cabin Cruiser this is at Pier Point Landing in Long beach Grandpa and the boys would set up demo days to take customers for rides.My dad at the Helm mom in the black outfit The other boat in the shot is also a Arrow Craft. The cabin on this was Fiberglass first use of glass in our shop.
    Here,s a Lancer just out of the spray booth the insides were finish just like the deck and sides.
    Grandpa getting his boat train ready to haul from Factory to our retail outlet
    This is a Vandal new model for 1958 notice the raised deck.It was 16' to handle the new Tower of Power Mercs
    The larger boat behind the Ranchero is the Cabin Cruiser with out the cabin called it a Sport Fisher

So Grampa's boat train was one mounted to the Ranchero and two (2) in tow? Very VERY cool pix! Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    So Grampa's boat train was one mounted to the Ranchero and two (2) in tow? Very VERY cool pix! Thanx!
    Yea we rented the mafacturing shop in Anaheim that my Dad and his brothers all worked at. Grandpa and Grandma ran the Retail store in West Anaheim on the corner of Lincoln and Manchester it was a old fruit and vegetable stand with a great big lot behind it. The front of the store didn't have doors it had two great big tilt up doors with poles attached it took 2 guys to open one would grab the pole while the other would push the door up when it got up the other guy would swivel the pole down and stick it in the hole to hold it up. The factory was about 5 miles from the shop and on Thursdays grandpa would start picking up what ever boats were ready to go so he had new inventory for the weekend. Grandpa signed up as the first Mercury dealer in southern Calif in 1954 he bought 2 Merc 30 hp outboards. If you go to Fiber Classic and search Arrow Craft you can see a Mercury Boat House Bullentin on a 1954 or 1955 runabout that was part of the deal for becoming a dealer. Those boat were built in grandpas garage until he burnt it down which is why grandma told him he needed to get a regular shop so he got 2 a factory and a retail store. The store in Anaheim later became West Anaheim Marine and was part of the mid to late 60,s Glastron race program it continued until the the 80,s.

'75
    Name:  mercruiser75.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  82.1 KB

lol!!

Name:  Schlitz.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  86.3 KB

Glastron had a pretty good stable of boat drivers back in the late 1960s and early 70s. The trio out of West Anaheim Marine were among the best -- Jim Macillwain, Jim Clinkenbeard and Bob Ogle won some serious races. They also had some competition from San Bernardino Glastron dealer, Bob Spratte.

Anyone know the name of the ski vest model in the photo above? Hint....he went on to become a major executive at a national boat company and is still very involved in the water ski industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Havasuing View Post
    Glastron had a pretty good stable of boat drivers back in the late 1960s and early 70s. The trio out of West Anaheim Marine were among the best -- Jim Macillwain, Jim Clinkenbeard and Bob Ogle won some serious races. They also had some competition from San Bernardino Glastron dealer, Bob Spratte.
    What, no mention of Bob Hammond or Ray Atwood? Rudy told me that before he built the Allison, the Glastron V drives were some of the most feared boats in the Salton Sea 500, Parker and Orange Bowl 9hrs.
    Ray Atwood won the 1963 Marathon with a Mercruiser I/O, and the outboards took 1st and 2nd in the OB class at Salton Sea in 63.

Around 69 Bob Hammond ran a Marine Power outdrive behind a injected BBC in in the Speed Classic endures with full cavitation plates and a v bottom cruiser that I swear partly the inspiration for the Rayson 21. Rudy had a lot of respect for Bob Hammond and those Glastrons.

I can remember seeing them test once or twice at Parker with the Holman and Moody powered V drives, and those things hauled ass.
    Last edited by gn7; 01-03-2014 at 09:50 PM.

I don't think Bob Hammond ever raced any of the outboard powered Glastrons -- only the inboard V-drive one, and it was fast. Bob was an aeronautical engineer by education and very savvy when it came to boats. Mel Whitley was responsible for vitually all of the Glastron design work out of the Austin plant and Art Carlson did his thing here in Orange County on the Glastron Carlson side of things. They were a very talented duo -- one of the main reasons Glastron became the largest production builder of recreational powerboats in the world at one time. They actually produced 100 complete boats during a single day of production. Very sad the way Glastron treated Bob in the early 70s and forced him out of the company. Things were never the same (or as good) after he was gone.