Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Good info and idea. Where did you find a used tailgate?

The tailgate on this truck is actually from an F150. The previous owner said a tree branch fell on it so he found one off an F150 that was whit. It matches great.

I had an Amp Research bed step on my previous truck. I may go that route.
    There were some flat bed conversion shops that had them and the one I bought was from a salvage yard (best price). As you guessed the 08 mirrors can be mounted as well. They do a power conversion for the 03 mirrors with the lights, but the 08 mirrors would make the truck look newer. The back seat from an 08 will also fit and they have the split fold down and the cargo platform.

I had an 08 but hated the fuel milage and didn't want to delete all the smog stuff and kill my warranty. Why did they put cats on diesels in the first place? So I moved the features I liked over to the 03 I replaced it with.

You had to post that! Lol... I was just sitting here thinking I should just say fuck it and do the power folding and extending rather than the manual ones. I'm going to research that. It can't be too difficult. I'm getting the mirrors from Ford. With my hookup, they shouldn't be too bad.

I. Taking the truck to a place in Fullerton to get an estimate later this week. A guy at work had his truck done there and they did a really great job and the prices were fair. I'll also go to Elegance in Upland to get a quote. Mark at Elegance has done a few things for me but getting a ride to Fullerton would be easier than getting a ride to Upland. Where's the seat shop?

My next item on the list to tackle will be fixing all of my door lock actuators. None of my doors open with the remote or door switches and all research leads me to the actuators. I read these are a common problem. I was going to replace them all, but after starting a thread on the Ford forums I leaned that they could be repaired. It looks rather simple so I'm going to give it a shot.

Here's a "how to" video I found

Yeah...I fixed one of my door lock actuators with the foil trick when I first bought my Excursion. The Seat Shop (www.theseatshop.com) is online. The leather seats from Ford were just covers and were around $800 or $900 per bucket seat (if I remember right) before they were discontinued. The seat shop charges around $400 per seat and are a perfect match.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    Yeah...I fixed one of my door lock actuators with the foil trick when I first bought my Excursion. The Seat Shop (www.theseatshop.com) is online. The leather seats from Ford were just covers and were around $800 or $900 per bucket seat (if I remember right) before they were discontinued. The seat shop charges around $400 per seat and are a perfect match.
    Thanks for the info. I looked at the website and the colors are limited and the pricing is too close to having it all redone at a shop. The seats have to come out for carpet and for mounting the amps. I'm getting over the phone estimates for $1,600- $1,800 for all new upholstery and carpet for the bucket seats and rear bench.

Any luck on your Excursion parts? My hook-up hasn't had much.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the website and the colors are limited and the pricing is too close to having it all redone at a shop. The seats have to come out for carpet and for mounting the amps. I'm getting over the phone estimates for $1,600- $1,800 for all new upholstery and carpet for the bucket seats and rear bench.

Any luck on your Excursion parts? My hook-up hasn't had much.
    Yeah, the seat shop is more for someone that just needs one or two seats or partial seats (though they can make all the seats covers for an excursion you just have to ask) replaced to match someone's existing seats. The driver side leather bucket seats are notorious for breaking down and ripping in the Ford trucks so this is a great solution for me since Ford doesn't make the covers any more.

If I decide to go with new parts I have all the parts covered through Sunrise Ford. Are you still thinking about updating the frontend?

Yeah, the seat shop is more for someone that just needs one or two seats or partial seats (though they can make all the seats covers for an excursion you just have to ask) replaced to match someone's existing seats. The driver side leather bucket seats are notorious for breaking down and ripping in the Ford trucks so this is a great solution for me since Ford doesn't make the covers any more.

If I decide to go with new parts I have all the parts covered through Sunrise Ford. Are you still thinking about updating the frontend?
    No I changed my mind. I decided to order billet grills, clear lights and remove the projectors. I think the money would be better spent on a light bar and HID off-road lights.

What lights are you looking at?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What lights are you looking at?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I haven't looked yet. The only "off the shelf" bolt on bar I've found is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2014-F2...-/291065262157

I'm not too crazy about it so I still need to look around. Hopefully I'll see one in person. Sometimes that changes my mind on things.

Question: Are off-road lights required to be covered by law when on road?

I haven't looked yet. The only "off the shelf" bolt on bar I've found is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2014-F2...-/291065262157

I'm not too crazy about it so I still need to look around. Hopefully I'll see one in person. Sometimes that changes my mind on things.

Question: Are off-road lights required to be covered by law when on road?
    Yes they do.

The only reason I know that the lights have to be covered is that back in the early 90's I had a friend of mine get pulled over for not having his lights on his over cab light bar covered. He was pissed and punched a light on the bar. The light broke and cut his wrist so bad that he had to have surgery and was out of work for a couple months.
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 01-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Yes they do.

The only reason I know that the lights have to be covered is that back in the early 90's I had a friend of mine get pulled over for not having his lights on his over cab light bar covered. He was pissed and punched a light on the bar. The light broke and cut his wrist so bad that he had to have surgery and was out of work for a couple months.
    That sucks

I wanted to add interior floor lights in the front. I had some purple neon lights in my garage so used those.

I tried searching for a dome light wire diagram, but had no luck. I had to pull the door panels off to get to my lock actuators so I traced the courtesy light on the passenger door, pig tailed into that and ran a power wire through to the cab.

So now they'll come on when you open the door or hit the dome light switch.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972250.584594.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  57.0 KB

Found power.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972295.605145.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  56.7 KB

Here's where I spliced it. If anyone wants to know, it's the black/blue wire.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972312.790589.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972356.515410.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  38.8 KB

Done!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972365.116164.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972372.698715.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.5 KB

The brake controller looked like it belonged on Fred Flinstones truck so that also came out. I'll add a nicer one later.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390972239.333545.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  41.7 KB

Tomorrow I'll tackle the actuators.
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 01-28-2014 at 10:20 PM.