Page 32 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Beautiful boat ..... didn't realize they were running speeds like 161 mph in 1963 .... have my google working overtime here with all this boat history
    ...does Barry still have this boat?
    There were 2 boats during that period that ran right at 160. Barry's Banzai, and Rudy Ramos' Golden Thing. Both powered by Keith Black hemis.

The original Banzai is gone, but Harlin Orrin built a replica and its on the list of projects of Dave Sammons. Money is kind of an issue with the project right now.

Name:  banzi PDF-page-001.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  118.3 KB

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I had a nice visit with Barry Mc Gowan today.

Attachment 27406Attachment 27407Attachment 27408Attachment 27409
    How is Mr. McGowan doing these days, it's been about two years since I saw him last and he was on crutches at that time if my memory is right...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

'77
    Name:  end77.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  88.4 KB

Hey Bob, what was different about this bottom?

Name:  ray.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  85.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Hey Bob, what was different about this bottom?

Name:  ray.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  85.6 KB
    I know this will sound like I am dodging the bullet, but the "name" cracks me up. Tell me what you see when you look at that "thing" that's over the part about Duff setting a new kilo record in the ad. May seem strange to you, but if you can see what that is, then the bottom might be easier to explain.

Some of the stuff Rudy came up with makes me laugh. Ever seen the ad where he claims the 17 1/2 ft SK hull has a "funny bottom"? The thing had an entry that was a freekin gull and it was a air trapping sumbitch. You can kind of make it out in the boat in the ad.

Name:  rayson ad1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  110.3 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 12-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Some Hamilton Jet History
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I know this will sound like I am dodging the bullet, but the "name" cracks me up. Tell me what you see when you look at that "thing" that's over the part about Duff setting a new kilo record in the ad. May seem strange to you, but if you can see what that is, then the bottom might be easier to explain.
    The "thing" looks like a 3 dimensional arrow pointing down at the paragraph as part of the ad. So what is this Paralex bottom and how is it different to the earlier models?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Mad View Post
    Some Hamilton Jet History
    Welcome to www.hotboat.com !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    The "thing" looks like a 3 dimensional arrow pointing down at the paragraph as part of the ad. So what is this Paralex bottom and how is it different to the earlier models?
    That's exactly what that is. Its also somewhat a play on the word Paralax, which is "mis-spelled" in the ad, I think deliberately. A parallax is a visual miss que. or error or you could call it an optical illusion. A true parallax has to do with viewed angle, like looking at a gauge and seeing one reading, then looking at the gauge from a different angle and seeing a different reading. That's parallax error.

On the original 20 ft bottom, it was really nothing more than the 20 v from the Allison boat with strakes.
    Later the bottom was changed, I am guessing 1975, but I thought it was before that.

Heres what I THINK Rudy was playing on.
    When you first look at the bottom, 99% of the people still see a V with strakes. Its not. Its 2 distinctly different Vs But its all in the view of the bottom. From the side it looks like a V with 2 strakes per side. From dead on in the front, if you look real close, the 2 inner strakes form a double concave ski effect, and the outer strakes are in actuality a different "layer" on a different V angle than the very outside from the outer strake to the chine. Imagine a standard V with nothing more than strakes. The Rayson bottom is really different layers and different angles, that in effect create the strakes.
    Plus, in all of this, there is the double "concave" of the center, and from the outer strake towards the keel there is a slight concave as well.
    THEN, if that wasn't enough, it all goes away as it goes under the boat, until its just a standard V somewhere around the dash, except the double concave created by the center strakes. That's why they can ride the keel like you see in my avatar on PB.

Its all hard to explain, but the next time you see a 20 on a trailer, take a hard look at it from dead on from the front, and look hard at what you are seeing.

Very few V bottoms have a bottom as complex as a 20ft GN. In my mind, the bottom of the 20 and 21 are sheer genius, and are amazingly tunable with slight changes to the length of the strakes at the rear for differing HP levels and speed.
    Last edited by gn7; 12-10-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Not the easies thing to see even with pictures, but what at first appears to be a V with strakes is really 3 layers from the inside strakes, to the outer chine, all on different angles. Looking at the second picture you can make out the concave between the inner and outer strakes towards the front, but this disappears as it goes back. I think due to the rules regarding concavity a given distance from the transom, or once the chine runs parallel with the water line.
    The angles of the bow area get flatter as you go out from the keel. It makes the nose very difficult to stuff. Deeper it gets in the water, the flatter the surface gets.

Its all optical. What looks like simple strakes are actually layers creating strakes and concaves. But you have to view it at the right angle to see it.

Looking at it from this angle, it all looks perfectly normal. Look at it from dead on from the front, and its completely different.