Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 Sale

Quote Originally Posted by nowski View Post
    I've been doing this for the past 5 years. Your auto parts stores pretty much don't have any lines on Black Friday. It's actually a pleasant Black Friday experience. I also wanted to mention that they have other specials as well but this is what I normally go shopping for. F.Y.I. last years synthetic oil special was Castrol Edge @ $4.00 per qt. They seem to switch back and forth between the 2 brands... "Happy Thanksgiving To All"
    Wally Worlds every day price for castrol synthetics is also $4.
    Go on Monday or any of the other 364 days in the year for it.
    All four of my cars take syn 6qrts at a time and the damn truck takes 15qrts of Rotella. At 5k intervals it almost feels like one of them is always needing an oil change.:banghead:

From my POS T-mobile thingie
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wally Worlds every day price for castrol synthetics is also $4.
    Go on Monday or any of the other 364 days in the year for it.
    All four of my cars take syn 6qrts at a time and the damn truck takes 15qrts of Rotella. At 5k intervals it almost feels like one of them is always needing an oil change.:banghead:

15 qts Rotella? Is it a pickup or big truck?

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    15 qts Rotella? Is it a pickup or big truck?

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang
    7.3 PSD Ford F350.

I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

I read on another boat site that Mobil 1 is junk. So I stopped using it.

Mobil 1 is ~@$25 for 5 qts at Wal-Mart. So...already $5/qt almost any day of the week.

Kind of a serious comment/question, GN7. It seems like in some similar vehicles (me or my family have had various 5.3 powered GM trucks since '99)...it seems like the quality of Mobil 1 has gone down. In similar mileage (but later model) trucks, the oil would seem much blacker at the 5k mile mark than it did in the 99-03 time period. Is it my imagination...or...did Mobil 1 change the formula/blend?
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-24-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    Mobil 1 is ~@$25 for 5 qts at Wal-Mart. So...already $5/qt almost any day of the week.

Kind of a serious comment/question, GN7. It seems like in some similar vehicles (me or my family have had various 5.3 powered GM trucks since '99)...it seems like the quality of Mobil 1 has gone down. In similar mileage (but later model) trucks, the oil would seem much blacker at the 5k mile mark than it did in the 99-03 time period. Is it my imagination...or...did Mobil 1 change the formula/blend?
    Almost all off the shelf oils changed when they had to meet the GF5 standards set down by the car manufactures. The days of the oil companies blending what they think is best are gone. The EPA and the manufactures are calling the shots for the most part. Some M1 oils changed more than others. I have no need for 10/30 or lighter oil so it doesn't bother me.
    Another thing that really SUCKS is that a few years ago Mobil sued Castrol for using the term "synthetic" for oil that was really just highly refined/hydro cracked petroleum. And they lost the case. The SAE and the API both refused to define exactly what was "synthetic". The term no means any oil that is not processed thru normal distillation.
    In industry jargon, that moved synthetics from Group 4 and 5, to include group 3. That means oils that contain group 2 and 3 are now "blends" and anything made up of 3, 4 and 5 is 100% synthetic. Mobil had no choice but to start using some group 3 base stock or lose a huge market share due to price. They still use more 4 and 5 than any other "synthetic" on the shelf, but it did change the formula for previous M1 oils.
    Still the best synthetic on the shelf at the big box stores, but not quite up with the pricier Amsoils, which by the way, now also have some lower cost so called synthetic under the OE and XL labels. Not bad oil, just not what Amsoil is known for, and not 100% group 4 and 5 base stock.

FYI, the Mobil 1 10/40 High Milage and the Mobil 1 0/40 are both slightly better oils than the 10/30.
    The 15/50 is pretty close to what it has always been. Its the 10/30 and lighter stuff that took the biggest hit in the formula.
    But then, everybody's API certified GF4 and 5 oils did. If they tell you different, they're lying, or don't know any better.

The best oil for your boat is no longer a car oil. Mobil 1 10/40, 0/40, and 15/50 are damn good and probably the best thing you will find in a big box retailer for 99% of the boats out there. But the best is when you get away from the controls of the EPA and car manufactures. That means oil that is not API and ILSAC certified.
    I.E. No API donut seal logo on the bottle.

As for your car, I still continue to use M1 in everything. What my car NEEDS and what my boat WANTS is 2 different things.

I walked into a Auto Zone a coupe months ago and saw this. Needless to say I cleaned out 5 Auto Zones in my area and spent a few hundred doing it, but I am good for a little while.
    Name:  mobil mc.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 11-24-2013 at 02:52 AM.

I use 0/40 for everything, including my boat. I use to swear by the German Castrol 0/40, the one that specifically says "Made in Germany" on the back. However, once I started seeing 0/40 Mobil 1 on the shelves for $25/5 qts, I just switched to it because of the price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Almost all off the shelf oils changed when they had to meet the GF5 standards set down by the car manufactures. The days of the oil companies blending what they think is best are gone. The EPA and the manufactures are calling the shots for the most part. Some M1 oils changed more than others. I have no need for 10/30 or lighter oil so it doesn't bother me.
    Another thing that really SUCKS is that a few years ago Mobil sued Castrol for using the term "synthetic" for oil that was really just highly refined/hydro cracked petroleum. And they lost the case. The SAE and the API both refused to define exactly what was "synthetic". The term no means any oil that is not processed thru normal distillation.
    In industry jargon, that moved synthetics from Group 4 and 5, to include group 3. That means oils that contain group 2 and 3 are now "blends" and anything made up of 3, 4 and 5 is 100% synthetic. Mobil had no choice but to start using some group 3 base stock or lose a huge market share due to price. They still use more 4 and 5 than any other "synthetic" on the shelf, but it did change the formula for previous M1 oils.
    Still the best synthetic on the shelf at the big box stores, but not quite up with the pricier Amsoils, which by the way, now also have some lower cost so called synthetic under the OE and XL labels. Not bad oil, just not what Amsoil is known for, and not 100% group 4 and 5 base stock.

FYI, the Mobil 1 10/40 High Milage and the Mobil 1 0/40 are both slightly better oils than the 10/30.
    The 15/50 is pretty close to what it has always been. Its the 10/30 and lighter stuff that took the biggest hit in the formula.
    But then, everybody's API certified GF4 and 5 oils did. If they tell you different, they're lying, or don't know any better.

The best oil for your boat is no longer a car oil. Mobil 1 10/40, 0/40, and 15/50 are damn good and probably the best thing you will find in a big box retailer for 99% of the boats out there. But the best is when you get away from the controls of the EPA and car manufactures. That means oil that is not API and ILSAC certified.
    I.E. No API donut seal logo on the bottle.

As for your car, I still continue to use M1 in everything. What my car NEEDS and what my boat WANTS is 2 different things.

I walked into a Auto Zone a coupe months ago and saw this. Needless to say I cleaned out 5 Auto Zones in my area and spent a few hundred doing it, but I am good for a little while.
    Name:  mobil mc.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  56.2 KB
    Did you cut and paste this?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    I use 0/40 for everything, including my boat. I use to swear by the German Castrol 0/40, the one that specifically says "Made in Germany" on the back. However, once I started seeing 0/40 Mobil 1 on the shelves for $25/5 qts, I just switched to it because of the price difference.
    The 0/40 M1 is an excellent oil. People see the zero and get all jittery. I hardly pay any attention to the W number. If you don't live where it gets below freezing, its a useless number.
    Interesting fact about the 0/40, its the oil Mobil recommends for non racing performance use in place of their racing oil. The other being the 15/50 if you need a heavier oil.
    I only mention the 10/40 High Mileage for people that bring themselves to use a 0W oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Did you cut and paste this?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!
    Cut and paste what? The picture? NO, that came from my phone. I sent it to a friend that had just bought 24 qts a week earlier, and I sent it to him to rib him.