Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishimself View Post
    I'm here ta help ya brother..here ta help....

(In my best Foghorn Leghorn impersonation) LOL....
    Thanks!

Should I threaten to take him to court and give him another chance or just surprise him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$1500 is worth teaching someone a lesson.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Getting a judgement against him probably won't be the hard part. Actually getting paid will be the bigger challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Seriously fuck a duck

Do it! Just like everyone has said. On a side note if I'm not mistaken in small claims you can sue for up to 3 times the original amount owed. Do it with an exclamation point.

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Do it! Just like everyone has said. On a side note if I'm not mistaken in small claims you can sue for up to 3 times the original amount owed. Do it with an exclamation point.
    Andrew,

I'll defer to Eli but I think the answer here is that you can sure for anything you want (up to $7,500 in SC Court) but you will only be awarded any real costs/losses you incur as there are no "Punitive" damages awarded in SC court.......and also somewhat limited in regular court unless there are some special circumstances.

On the OP's question, it won't take more than a morning or afternoon to do this and you'll get a hearing before a "Judge" (not really a judge in SC court but the same effect) and if nothing else you'll teach the guy a lesson and he might just pay up once he's been served......it's worth it IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Andrew,

I'll defer to Eli but I think the answer here is that you can sure for anything you want (up to $7,500 in SC Court) but you will only be awarded any real costs/losses you incur as there are no "Punitive" damages awarded in SC court.......and also somewhat limited in regular court unless there are some special circumstances.

On the OP's question, it won't take more than a morning or afternoon to do this and you'll get a hearing before a "Judge" (not really a judge in SC court but the same effect) and if nothing else you'll teach the guy a lesson and he might just pay up once he's been served......it's worth it IMHO
    Yeah I knew about a max amount too. Just didn't know the number. My info is based on knowledge of what happened to lawsuits we have lost (the company I work for) over towing incidents. Folks that have sued us and won sued us for 3 times the original amount and was awarded the amount asked for. The number has never been over 5K from what I remember. I will also differ to a lawyer also but I believe the max is 3 times the amount up to the SC predetermined amount. Idk. Def not a lawyer and have very minimal court experience.

sent from the poor house

Small claims court?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Andrew,

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Yeah I knew about a max amount too. Just didn't know the number. My info is based on knowledge of what happened to lawsuits we have lost (the company I work for) over towing incidents. Folks that have sued us and won sued us for 3 times the original amount and was awarded the amount asked for. The number has never been over 5K from what I remember. I will also differ to a lawyer also but I believe the max is 3 times the amount up to the SC predetermined amount. Idk. Def not a lawyer and have very minimal court experience.

sent from the poor house
    Small claims and anything contractual do not allow for punitive damages, with some exceptions. $10,000 is the max in small claims court, May be different based on jurisdiction.

NGE,
    If it's a matter of principle, then do it. Just a couple things to think about. First, research how to recover the money from a judgement. Your best option will likely be wage garnishment. In each county the WG is done by a different entity, i.e. sheriffs dept. Second, make sure you're in the correct venue. Venue is determined by which jurisdiction (county) the contract was signed or where the defendant lives. In your area, you're very close to OC and LA. Third, ensure you properly serve him. You can have a friend do it for free instead of a process server. They charge $65+. You just can't do it yourself. Remember to file the proof of service.

Call me if you want me to look it up for you or get you the documents. Small claims court is nothing like judge Judy. From my experience watching people in pro per, judges are very accommodating and understanding, unless you're not prepared. I'm certain you'll be more prepared than some attorneys I know

I'd offer to sue the SOB for you, but they don't allow attorneys is small claims court, they want to keep it civil but, I can help you with anything you need. I'm a phone call away. Best time to call me re: work is 8-6. That way I can look things up as we talk.

This will be fun! Well at least for me

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Last edited by Eli; 02-06-2014 at 08:17 AM.

I have a couple of judgments I've had for 10yrs or so. I'll sell them cheap LOL

On a side note, if this person is in the retail business, I would highly recommend a till tap. I've never done one but they sure as hell sound like a lot of fun

Its simple go online to the many small claims court filers cost a couple hundred and they do absolutely everything for you. Once you get the judgement with all the late fee's and extra charges, interest, late payment penalty and the like. Than find one of the many slime balls that buy judgements and sell it off and be done with it.

Real simple no big deal i deal with mortgage brokers and about every 6 months i file 12 of them show up get all my judgements and off i go takes a couple of hours and off i go. By the time im done i actually make a few bucks if its done right.

Quote Originally Posted by ilmormark View Post
    Its simple go online to the many small claims court filers cost a couple hundred and they do absolutely everything for you. Once you get the judgement with all the late fee's and extra charges, interest, late payment penalty and the like. Than find one of the many slime balls that buy judgements and sell it off and be done with it.

Real simple no big deal i deal with mortgage brokers and about every 6 months i file 12 of them show up get all my judgements and off i go takes a couple of hours and off i go. By the time im done i actually make a few bucks if its done right.
    Welcome to www.hotboat.com!