Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    I'll play.....Hallett 210 followed me home a few months back.....
    You buy that off Herbst? Nice Lookin ride!

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    I'll play.....Hallett 210 followed me home a few months back.....

Attachment 45097
    Will you be changing your screen name Carl?

Nice ride sir...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

GRADS
    So was that really a Herbst boat or are they kidding because it's red?

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    You didn't know...? Every red boat is or was a Herbst boat.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post

Don't know. I asked at Hallett and they said it's too far back in the records. The red does seem to match the Herbst boats but it also has a lot of black and grey accents that make me believe that it wasn't.

I bought it from a dude that said he got it from his Uncle Randy (Davis) so it must have been traded into Nordic then sold to the previous owner.

Hallett Carl

Name:  Too Much at Parker 001.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  90.1 KB The restored "Too Much" blown gas hydro at parker , me about to light the candles..

Name:  Mortician folder pictures 005.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  51.4 KBName:  IMG_1849Mortician Jeep.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  131.2 KB The Mortician....Earliest, Most Original, Most Record Holding ( 5 world records ), Drag boat still existing today. The restored engines are still not ready to run yet, but it's safely resting in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by spike morelli View Post
    Name:  Mortician folder pictures 005.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  51.4 KBName:  IMG_1849Mortician Jeep.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  131.2 KB The Mortician....Earliest, Most Original, Most Record Holding ( 5 world records ), Drag boat still existing today. The restored engines are still not ready to run yet, but it's safely resting in my garage.
    That's bad ass. Whats the story on this boat??

Both of those boats are absolutely awesome pieces Spike.
    I wanna ride!

UD

Thanks Uncle Dave. Mr. Probz....the story, well, it's fairly straightforward, if not long. Three unknown, regular guys, back in '65, partnered to build a boat to go racing. Tom Morgan, Bill Clark, and driver Buzz Coats took a trailer out from under another boat, bought a new Stevens regular production ski boat hull, bought two 283's punched out to 301 each, engineered how to couple them, tune them, bought a '53 Cadillac Hearse to tow it with....and took it to Ski- Land with the high hopes of doing something. The Mortician did so well first time out, it jumped class twice. Soon, they put two 327's in it and took the unblown fuel title from , then reigning champ Mr. T, a Buck Smith hull. "Mortician" dominated the Unblown Flat class from 1965 to 1967, setting 5 world records, until Buzz Coats died in '67. Bill Clark went on to crew cheif another boat, and Tom Morgan took custody of the boat, only to retire it and garage it. Historically, it's in all the publications of it's day, has a pure pedigree as a legitimate N.D.B.A. original condition record holding drag boat. It did 132.24. it is original right down to it's prop, and the trailer still carries it's original license plate. My job is to take care of it and bring back any mechanical issues that requires attention.....but nothing will be changed from how it was. The hydro was driven and built ( except for the engine, Dave Zeuschel built that )by a man named Bill Dirksing, who was a friend of my family's. "Too Much" never held any record, and, quite frankly, was bested constantly by the more slippery Sanger and Hallett hydros in it's class of Blown gas hydro. It's claim to fame, besides being a flagship for Stevens Boat Co in all their ads, is that, of ALL of the blown gas hydros registered with the N.D.B.A in '66-'67, "Too Much" is the only one that still remains from that roster. I have two more Stevens flats.....one is currently being restored as my ski boat, albeit a component correct '65 ski boat. the other, a '63 awaits in the wings....
    Last edited by spike morelli; 09-07-2014 at 11:09 PM.