Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    i don't know what you call the one in the picture but thats definitely the way to go i believe
    also after a pass that prop is a real mfer to get broke loose, they have a type of slide hammer to bang it off with and its a bi..ch
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

When you think about it, how far does the shaft have to move the boat. How many revolutions does it even spin. A top fuel dragster spins less 550 times light to light IN A 1/4 MILE!! The stuff is under a tremendous strain, but not for very long.

A full season of drag racing won't get a full lap at the Parker enduro
    Last edited by gn7; 04-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    When you think about it, how far does the shaft have to move the boat. How many revolutions does it even spin. A top fuel dragster spins less 550 times light to light IN A 1/4 MILE!! The stuff is under a tremendous strain, but not for very long.

A full season of drag racing won't get a full lap at the Parker enduro
    your right about that ...
    than again the very best of the best manufactures run all types of endurance racing , parts fail thats all there is, most material fails are machining and over stressed..
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    That would be a strong MOFO.. So where can I find a prop to run on my CRUISER that has that profile?
    Hondo boats sell the shafts and props.

X'2... Plus a drag boat isn't constantly coming out of the water at WOT releasing the torsion and hammering the shaft when it makes contact with the water again.
    Just the hull lifting and falling, and heavy chop, without the boat coming out of the water will vary the load on the shaft

I thought we've already been though this? BOTH of these materials are tough, Nickel 500 being the stronger of the two, if I remember the testing values correctly. There are other factors that are causing these failures.
    we did and some one wanted to say that the Aquamet22 he wouldn't use it if it was free absolute junk so he stirred the stink pot again
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    GN 369 lost an A 22 shaft and new prop in Sat. race at Parker. I was told it had 6 races on it. I wouldn't run an A 22 prop shaft if was free. K Monel from Italy will be my shaft of choice from now on.
    we did and some one wanted to say that the Aquamet22 he wouldn't use it if it was free absolute junk so he stirred the stink pot again
    I would say I wouldn't buy a A22 shaft from a particular supplier, or put my #1 prop on a A22 shaft that was in a boat I bought. More than likely, I would use it for a transom bar.

I would say I wouldn't buy a A22 shaft from a particular supplier, or put my #1 prop on a A22 shaft that was in a boat I bought. More than likely, I would use it for a transom bar.
    i agree marine machine has there act together, glenwood marine machines are older than anyone on this forum ..
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

i agree marine machine has there act together, glenwood marine machines are older than anyone on this forum ..
    I have no problem with the age of the machines at Glenwood. The shaft that was in my boat was a K Monel shaft from Glenwod and was in it for 5 years when I bought it. I reversed the rotation of the shaft by driving the boat off the flywheel{previous owner off the snout). I ran it for 3 hears like that, then reversed it back to off the snout, and ran it another 3 years before I decided I was pushing my luck and replaced it with a K Monel from Glenwod, and I STILL use the old shaft in the enduro (5 to date). I say its doing pretty well compared to some shafts I have seen.

The K Monel shaft Glenwood cut for Rudy's Allison boat won two Salton Sea 500, the Lake Berryessa 6 hr, and ran a couple Parker 9 hrs, transmitting 1500 lbs of torque the entire time, moving a whaling ship 85-90 AVERAGE, and the shaft is still in the boat to this day.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-08-2014 at 07:06 PM.

I have no problem with the age of the machines at Glenwood. The shaft that was in my boat was a K Monel shaft from Glenwod and was in it for 5 years when I bought it. I reversed the rotation of the shaft by driving the boat off the flywheel{previous owner off the snout). I ran it for 3 hears like that, then reversed it back to off the snout, and ran it another 3 years before I decided I was pushing my luck and replaced it with a K Monel from Glenwod, and I STILL use the old shaft in the enduro (5 to date). I say its doing pretty well compared to some shafts I have seen.

The K Monel shaft Glenwood cut for Rudy's Allison boat won two Salton Sea 500, the Lake Berryessa 6 hr, and ran a couple Parker 9 hrs, transmitting 1500 lbs of torque the entire time, moving a whaling ship 85-90 AVERAGE, and the shaft is still in the boat to this day.
    than all the previous talk about having the the surface to tip speed constant at all diameters doesn't mean that much or how the keyway is cut either

they broach cut the keyway , and the prop shaft taper is cut on a old engine lathe, than put into a chucker to have the threads cut.. look on the shelf outside the door at the rack of shafts .. almost everyone has both ends cut and one trashed with red dyekem on it. they charge a 75.00 tool charge for aqua met and kmonel because it tears up there tools ... hmmm.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB