Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wrote a reply and submitted.

done

even sent a copy of link and a short message to my State Senator
    that started his career in my hood

Anyone else get this today after signing the petition?

Dear Brian :

I received your letter expressing your concerns about the Renewable Fuel Standard. Your correspondence is important to me, and I welcome this opportunity to respond.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) requires that the volume of renewable fuel increase every year from 9 billion gallons in 2008 to 36 billion gallons in 2022. Each year, the RFS requires that an increasing portion of renewable fuels be low carbon "advanced biofuels," which have lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions that are significantly lower than gasoline. However, the RFS does not include any mandate for E-15.

I do not support a mandate for the use of corn ethanol. On December 12, 2013, I introduced the "Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2013" (S. 1807), which would eliminate the corn ethanol mandate within the RFS. Under this mandate, almost 44 percent of U.S. corn is diverted from food to fuel, increasing the cost of food and animal feed. I strongly support greater use of low carbon fuels, like biodiesel, E-85 made with cellulosic ethanol, hydrogen, and electricity, and I share your concern that the RFS is not bringing about this shift to cleaner fuel.

Please know that I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the economic impact of corn ethanol and the RFS, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as I work to enact the "Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2013."

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841, or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov . Best regards.

Also, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Anyone else get this today after signing the petition?

Dear Brian :

I received your letter expressing your concerns about the Renewable Fuel Standard. Your correspondence is important to me, and I welcome this opportunity to respond.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) requires that the volume of renewable fuel increase every year from 9 billion gallons in 2008 to 36 billion gallons in 2022. Each year, the RFS requires that an increasing portion of renewable fuels be low carbon "advanced biofuels," which have lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions that are significantly lower than gasoline. However, the RFS does not include any mandate for E-15.

I do not support a mandate for the use of corn ethanol. On December 12, 2013, I introduced the "Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2013" (S. 1807), which would eliminate the corn ethanol mandate within the RFS. Under this mandate, almost 44 percent of U.S. corn is diverted from food to fuel, increasing the cost of food and animal feed. I strongly support greater use of low carbon fuels, like biodiesel, E-85 made with cellulosic ethanol, hydrogen, and electricity, and I share your concern that the RFS is not bringing about this shift to cleaner fuel.

Please know that I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the economic impact of corn ethanol and the RFS, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as I work to enact the "Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2013."

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841, or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov . Best regards.

Also, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator
    Yes I did

Sent from my Bat Cave

Yep. I did too. Your name must be Brian too. For a second there I thought you hacked my email.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Here is my 2 cents folks...

Here in the Midwest it is common and has been for a long while to have E-10 (10% alcohol) in our gasoline.

As you may or may not know, virtually every state in the union has their own recipe/standards for gasoline and there are ALOT of things added to the gasoline.

Previously the chemical "Methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE)" was added as an oxidizer and was used seasonally for winter/summer blends. This stuff was added without a lot of research and since it was part of the recipe the supply/demand on this stuff became a major factor in gasoline prices.

After a lot of research started pointing to the toxic aspects of MTBE and even the substance being considered carcinogenic some states started banning MTBE and switched to alcohol in the state approved recipe using the alcohol as an oxidizer. It wasn’t heavily advertised here in Missouri but the negative aspects of MTBE was pushed pretty hard in the news. Our fuel pumps say "a minimum of 10% ethanol" or something of that nature with regard to the blends and alcohol content.

This is a very very heavily political issue and there are so many lobbyists with their fingers in the mix, from Monsanto (chemical and seed supplier), CGB grain haulers, ADM agri products, environmentalists, anti-oil drillers, PRO oil drillers, Sierra club, auto manufacturers. You name it, this whole alcohol / "renewable fuel" thing is being batted around like a bad mitten birdy from every direction. IF .0001% of the funds spend in D.C. on this topic were spent on common sense approach to stuff like cellulose alcohol, cellulose-agri diesel, synthetic diesel AND having one standard prevailing federal gasoline recipe and let capitalism work this whole discussion would evaporate like spilled gasoline on hot concrete...

There are lots of factors at play on this subject.

I am neither PRO or against federally mandated anything in our gasoline. I just know enough to get sick when I hear the enviroWHACK jobs start touting the positive merits of yet another federal mandate. Just like they did when they were pushing for the use of MTBE back one decade ago... MANY MANY studies show that producing corn for alcohol creates more pollution / contamination of soil & ground water than any positive attributes of putting it in the gasoline in the first place, WHO are you going to believe???

DISCLAIMER, this is not a political statement just a public service announcement...

Show me a fisherman / outdoorsman that doesn’t want clean water and healthy animals to eat/hunt/catch and I will show you a fisherman / outdoorsman that isn’t really what he claims to be.

Sorry Vic / mods if this comes across as a political statement, I didnt mean for it to come across that way. I just wanted to point out some background on the topic. You have my full support to delete this post if it comes across as a political statement.
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 06-27-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Didn't get the letter, can't believe there may be something ol' Dianne and I agree on, if I was to believe her letter. 2MM, good post, and I agree that it takes more energy to grow the corn that it produces, but curious about the statement of contamination of ground water and soil and where it came from? Not disagreeing with that statement, more like if that is the case, it should be something to be pointed out loudly as another reason why we should reduce corn based ethanol in fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post

Here in the Midwest it is common and has been for a long while to have E-10 (10% alcohol) in our gasoline.

As you may or may not know, virtually every state in the union has their own recipe/standards for gasoline and there are ALOT of things added to the gasoline.

Previously the chemical "Methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE)" was added as an oxidizer and was used seasonally for winter/summer blends. This stuff was added without a lot of research and since it was part of the recipe the supply/demand on this stuff became a major factor in gasoline prices.

After a lot of research started pointing to the toxic aspects of MTBE and even the substance being considered carcinogenic some states started banning MTBE and switched to alcohol in the state approved recipe using the alcohol as an oxidizer. It wasn’t heavily advertised here in Missouri but the negative aspects of MTBE was pushed pretty hard in the news. Our fuel pumps say "a minimum of 10% ethanol" or something of that nature with regard to the blends and alcohol content.

This is a very very heavily political issue and there are so many lobbyists with their fingers in the mix, from Monsanto (chemical and seed supplier), CGB grain haulers, ADM agri products, environmentalists, anti-oil drillers, PRO oil drillers, Sierra club, auto manufacturers. You name it, this whole alcohol / "renewable fuel" thing is being batted around like a bad mitten birdy from every direction. IF .0001% of the funds spend in D.C. on this topic were spent on common sense approach to stuff like cellulose alcohol, cellulose-agri diesel, synthetic diesel AND having one standard prevailing federal gasoline recipe and let capitalism work this whole discussion would evaporate like spilled gasoline on hot concrete...

I am neither PRO or against federally mandated anything in our gasoline. I just know enough to get sick when I hear the enviroWHACK jobs start touting the positive merits of yet another federal mandate. Just like they did when they were pushing for the use of MTBE back one decade ago... MANY MANY studies show that producing corn for alcohol creates more pollution / contamination of soil & ground water than any positive attributes of putting it in the gasoline in the first place, WHO are you going to believe???

DISCLAIMER, this is not a political statement just a public service announcement...

Show me a fisherman / outdoorsman that doesn’t want clean water and healthy animals to eat/hunt/catch and I will show you a fisherman / outdoorsman that isn’t really what he claims to be.

Sorry Vic / mods if this comes across as a political statement, I didnt mean for it to come across that way. I just wanted to point out some background on the topic. You have my full support to delete this post if it comes across as a political statement.
    Great post!!!

I didnt see anything political i the post....What stood out to me was FISHING!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post

Very informative. While I'm not a fisher I like my fish toxic free so I can relate

Disclaimer: as toxic free as possible

Sent from my Bat Cave

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havaduner View Post
    Didn't get the letter, can't believe there may be something ol' Dianne and I agree on, if I was to believe her letter. 2MM, good post, and I agree that it takes more energy to grow the corn that it produces, but curious about the statement of contamination of ground water and soil and where it came from? Not disagreeing with that statement, more like if that is the case, it should be something to be pointed out loudly as another reason why we should reduce corn based ethanol in fuels.

I don’t know anyone smart enough to quantify the idea/theory that growing corn creates more contamination than it prevents through (cleaner burning) ethanol production. HOWEVER when you factor in the fertilizers / pesticides / herbicides and the solid particulates from the diesel tractors/cultivators/sprayers/combines/hauling to market/storing/drying (in some cases)/transport to the distilleries (sp). I think that all of these steps are where the argument comes in about corn based fuel creating more contamination than it prevents. Seed stock has to be grown, harvested, cleaned, stored, bagged, transported, climate controlled for seasons, transported again, planted.

I don't know how you would quantify all of the above but there are MANY MANY steps that take place to produce one gallon of ethanol. Quite honestly at the price per bushel for corn from your local co-op, IMHO I think it should be double or triple the price if the gubment stayed out of the process and let the farmers do their thing on the free market.

Cellulose ethanol is where it is at IMHO, switch grass, it is native to this country / soils and grows fast without depleting the soil. Its a perennial weed... BUT the big energy concerns and the likes of ADM have the enzymes to make it viable totally tied up and buried so it won’t see the light of day for decades and we need this stuff working NOW...

I am ALL for the American farmer / American farm family (minus gubment)...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams