Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Pipeline Surfing Shot with a drone and a gopro

Cool Video!!!

Watch on

Wow that's awesome. Never really thought about taking ours down to the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never realized how short of a ride pipeline actually is. That Arial view was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Never realized how short of a ride pipeline actually is. That Arial view was cool.
    Its not always that close. Back in '85 I was stupid enough to get talked into going out there with a boogie board, ONCE. That shore comes at you faster than you can imagine. One of the stupidest things I have ever done.

I was lucky enough to be over there when the Eddie AIkau Memorial at Waimea went off in '09. They won't hold it unless the open water swells reach 20 ft. We had the radio everyday at work waiting for word, with 2 motorcycles ready to haul ass. They announced it was on and we were out of there.

50 ft waves that you could feel standing on the hi way. Those guys are nutz.
    Last edited by gn7; 01-26-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Its not always that close. Back in '85 I was stupid enough to get talked into going out there with a boogie board, ONCE. That shore comes at you faster than you can imagine. One of the stupidest things I have ever done.

I was lucky enough to be over there when the Eddie AIkau Memorial at Waimea went off in '09. They won't hold it unless the open water swells reach 20 ft. We had the radio everyday at work waiting for word, with 2 motorcycles ready to haul ass. They announced it was on and we were out of there.

50 ft waves that you could feel standing on the hi way. Those guys are nutz.
    When I was stationed temporarily at K bay me and some of the guys would travel to pipe often and boogie board it. Never tried surfing it. In all my short yes I've only surfed twice and both times at Waimea on long boards in 3 footers. Boogie boarding pipe we averaged 4 to 5 footers but had our best times in 10 footers. Anything over that we would come in and watch the locals tear shit up on their surf boards. I hate Hawaii except for its beaches and surf. I remember the summer of 97 while I was there the north shore got pounded with 40' swells. No one was out except the pros who traveled just for it. Jetski tow ins and all. Balls of steel!!

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    When I was stationed temporarily at K bay me and some of the guys would travel to pipe often and boogie board it. Never tried surfing it. In all my short yes I've only surfed twice and both times at Waimea on long boards in 3 footers. Boogie boarding pipe we averaged 4 to 5 footers but had our best times in 10 footers. Anything over that we would come in and watch the locals tear shit up on their surf boards. I hate Hawaii except for its beaches and surf. I remember the summer of 97 while I was there the north shore got pounded with 40' swells. No one was out except the pros who traveled just for it. Jetski tow ins and all. Balls of steel!!
    People that think Hawaii is such a wonderful place haven't stayed there long enough.
    I always thought it funny that aloha means hello and goodbye. Like, "hello, leave your money, OK, goodbye", all in one greeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Cool Video!!!

Watch on
    Did you shoot that? That video was awesome! How do those guys not get crushed under those waves?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Did you shoot that? That video was awesome! How do those guys not get crushed under those waves?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    not? Guys get pounded on the reef frequently. Some have even gotten stuck under reef out croppings and drown. Pipe is dangerous as fuck when it get big.

Some flying/FPV skills right there. I can't help but cringe everytime someone gets sucked over. Those guys are flat out crazy.

GRADS
    Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    Some flying/FPV skills right there. I can't help but cringe everytime someone gets sucked over. Those guys are flat out crazy.
    First thing I thought when I watched that video was GotHalos sphincter has got to be tightening watching that.