Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cali Boat Tax Question

I got a letter a few weeks back from San Bernardino County tax assessor questioning my boat, where it's stored and where I live. It's stored in Havi full-time in the garage of my house. It's registered to Cali (previously registered in cali and previous owner lived in San Bernardino when I purchased it). I kept it registered in Cali since the value plus reg fees should technically be less expensive then non-resident AZ reg.

I get a letter yesterday stating I owe San Bernardino my tax money.

My question is, why am I getting a San Bernardino tax assessment when I live in Orange County and the boat isn't in either county? I have paid for a previously owned cali boat taxes but they were for OC and that boat was also purchased in San Bernadino. I'm not questioning the tax...I know what's involved. I'm wondering why OC isn't taxing me...or should I be expecting a letter?

Wendi
    You need to register it in Az with your havasu address and call it a day. And it's cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    You need to register it in Az with your havasu address and call it a day. And it's cheaper!
    For your magic it's cheaper. For my toon it was cheaper. For an $11k boat it's not even close.

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigalert View Post
    For your magic it's cheaper. For my toon it was cheaper. For an $11k boat it's not even close.
    Oh really? Didn't know that. Ill have to check when I register the Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    True. They charge by the foot.

If you have a house in AZ not only should your boat be registered there, but all your AZ vehicles. Get yourself an AZ DL!

I register as a non resident in AZ (trailer in CA for towing purposes) and I pay around $230 a year. A little more than the $38 bucks or whatever it is for the other boat I have registered in CA, but no $200 luxury tax bill and my insurance is about $100 less for the AZ boat.

I also look at it this way. At Lake Havasu they're a ton of picnic/bbq areas on the AZ side and there is NOTHING on the CA side. CA doesn't contribute to the areas I like to boat so fuck em. Same reason I don't register my dog. It's a waste of money and gives me nothing back in return. Does the city come over and pick up the shit once a month or bring me a bag of food? Nope so piss off.
    Can't register the cars out of state and have fastrack so that idea is out...I can't live without the toll road. Now the dog registration thing has my pissed because I got a visit a few months ago since they came looking for previous tenant who hasn't lived there for 4 years. His dog died 3 years ago. They tried mailing me a bill plus late charges for $400. Since my wifes first and last name is incorrect I'm not sure who they intended would get that letter. Based on history, I got another 4 years till they come back...I'll be long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Oh really? Didn't know that. Ill have to check when I register the Campbell.
    Cali is 1% of value plus some random odds and ends (I actually would like to know what the registration fees are going to be...still haven't received my DMV love letter). I got my truck registration (due today...LOL) and my DL renewal....no boat registration. I need to figure something out soon.

Can't register the cars out of state and have fastrack so that idea is out...I can't live without the toll road. Now the dog registration thing has my pissed because I got a visit a few months ago since they came looking for previous tenant who hasn't lived there for 4 years. His dog died 3 years ago. They tried mailing me a bill plus late charges for $400. Since my wifes first and last name is incorrect I'm not sure who they intended would get that letter. Based on history, I got another 4 years till they come back...I'll be long gone.

Cali is 1% of value plus some random odds and ends (I actually would like to know what the registration fees are going to be...still haven't received my DMV love letter). I got my truck registration (due today...LOL) and my DL renewal....no boat registration. I need to figure something out soon.
    Woah you can't have a Fast Trak with AZ plates? Now that does suck. I couldn't go without having a transponder either!

I can't believe they sent you that bill. Animal Control came to my door about a year ago and said, "we know a dog lives here and you have 1 week to register him or else". I said, "I don't have a dog". They said, "yes you do". I said, "what evidence do you have that proves I have a dog to prosecute me for not paying?" As I stared at the city worker's stupid dumbfounded face I said, "you don't and without a warrant to search my property you never will. Now please leave." ...I then shut my door. They never came back
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 12-31-2013 at 02:45 PM.

All three of my AZ registered cars have Fastrack transponders and I use them when I travel back and forth......this is NOT a show stopper at all. I even manage them on the website and it will ask you which state the vehicle is registered in when you add or delete a car......think about it all the military personnel are not required to register their cars in CA so they have to do this.......the biggest issue is if you get pulled over and have a CA drivers license with a AZ registered vehicle or vice-versa. It;s not illegal by any means but it get the cop asking a lot of questions and he may give you a ticket for of all things tax evasion and you're pretty much guilty until proven innocent.....not fun.

It's the same thing with your boat.....if you register in AZ as a resident and when pulled over as asked for ID you have all the same questions going on as has been documented by LEO personnel on many boating websites......again it is technically legal if you truly do reside in AZ but who needs someone writing you a ticket and then having to provide tax returns to prove residence....for some people it just not worth the risk.

There has been a couple law suits against the state about personal property tax on boats registered in AZ, stored in AZ and only used in AZ, and as far as I know, the state can still tax you for the boat if your work in Cal, your income is Cal, and your PRIMARY residence is Cal.

However, if the boat is registered in Cal, your are already paying that personal property tax thru the registration fees, and it makes no difference where you store or use the boat.
    If you think you can dodge the tax by registering it in AZ and only using it in AZ, just hope they don't find out. And they are actively looking.

True. They charge by the foot.

If you have a house in AZ not only should your boat be registered there, but all your AZ vehicles. Get yourself an AZ DL!

I register as a non resident in AZ (trailer in CA for towing purposes) and I pay around $230 a year. A little more than the $38 bucks or whatever it is for the other boat I have registered in CA, but no $200 luxury tax bill and my insurance is about $100 less for the AZ boat.

I also look at it this way. At Lake Havasu they're a ton of picnic/bbq areas on the AZ side and there is NOTHING on the CA side. CA doesn't contribute to the areas I like to boat so fuck em. Same reason I don't register my dog. It's a waste of money and gives me nothing back in return. Does the city come over and pick up the shit once a month or bring me a bag of food? Nope so piss off.
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 12-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.

This is the luxury tax you're talking about? From a county assessor you do not live in?
    :confused::confused:
    That makes no sense.:o

From my POS T-mobile thingie
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement: