Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GRADS

I found a Gold Mine today

I was on the paddle board today (I know big surprise) exploring where the old town of Mormon Island was flooded when Folsom Lake was built. I saw 4 cement pillars on this island so I went to check it out. It turns out they were sitting on top of an old abandoned gold mine. This mine is normally under 100' of water. You can tell the area has been mined because of all the tailing piles.

A rusted out pick

Some of the tailings

Last edited by GRADS; 12-28-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    I was on the paddle board today (I know big surprise) exploring where the old town of Mormon Island was flooded when Folsom Lake was built. I saw 4 cement pillars on this island so I went to check it out. It turns out they were sitting on top of an old abandoned gold mine. This mine is normally under 100' of water. You can tell the area has been mined because of all the trailing piles.

Very cool. Love those types of findings. The PNW has a lot of that stuff as well.

Cool find!

But, how do you paddle board where there's no water?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Last edited by Eli; 12-28-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Shasta supposedly has an entire town under it complete with a train that got stranded there...if it gets much lower like this...I suppose we will see that also....if we don't get some rain here soon...it won't be deep enough for paddle boarding much longer...

Holy frick...

GRADS

Quote Originally Posted by bb88 View Post
    Holy frick...
    serious pay dirt!

serious pay dirt!
    Does Todd Hoffman know about this???

Quote Originally Posted by Tishimself View Post
    Shasta supposedly has an entire town under it complete with a train that got stranded there...if it gets much lower like this...I suppose we will see that also....if we don't get some rain here soon...it won't be deep enough for paddle boarding much longer...
    There was the town of Kennett. All but one bldg was relocated and its 400 ft deeper then the lake is now. Doubt that will ever be exposed. There are train tunnels and the old trestles that become exposed. Couldn't find anything about a stranded train though. That would be cool to dive down to. Id bet its all preserved real well too. The cold water that deep would have preserved the old wood of the bldg and rail cars.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    I was on the paddle board today (I know big surprise) exploring where the old town of Mormon Island was flooded when Folsom Lake was built. I saw 4 cement pillars on this island so I went to check it out. It turns out they were sitting on top of an old abandoned gold mine. This mine is normally under 100' of water. You can tell the area has been mined because of all the trailing piles.
    Cool find!!!

No sign of DHS???
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by bb88 View Post
    Holy frick...
    Lol...