PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather

76Bonneville
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
With consecutive nights in the upper 20's and highs around 50, should we be concerned about our blocks freezing?
Thinking about running an extension cord out to the boat with a drop light to put a little heat under the cover.

HB Vic
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I would definitely think you have a legit concern. I would drain the block as well just in case you lose power for some reason and your lights or block heater takes a dump. Fortunately here in So Cal that isn't much of a concern, but it was 31 this morning :calm:

wolfie
01-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Here in Utah it gets pretty cold. I usually drain the block and make sure that the bowl on my jet has oil in it and make sure there's no water.

obnoxious001
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
With consecutive nights in the upper 20's and highs around 50, should we be concerned about our blocks freezing?
Thinking about running an extension cord out to the boat with a drop light to put a little heat under the cover.

Ron,, I would suggest draining the block. Any time I put an engine together I use brass plugs in the water drains (don't forget to drain both sides since they are separate water jackets) so they come out easily.

Wendi
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
It was 29 degrees this morning in Chino hills when I took my daughter to school a bit nipply ILife I must say so

wolfie
01-11-2013, 04:10 PM
It was 29 degrees this morning in Chino hills when I took my daughter to school a bit nipply ILife I must say so

That wasn't even our high today... High today is 22*. It'll be 12* tonight when I get off work. Sunday a high of 16 and a low of -8*.

24 Sleekenforcer
01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Our high was 27* and our low tonight is going to be - 5.

76Bonneville
01-11-2013, 08:47 PM
It would be winterized for sure if I live in colder country like you two Wolfie and 24 Sleek. But I live in So Cal like HB, Wendi and Barry,where we dont normally have to give it a second thought. It's 7:30 on Friday evening and we're already down to 42*. I'm in the foothills in Northern San Diego county at about 2300' elevation, soa little colder than the valleys but like Wendi said 29* Thats down right chilly. Hell I almost didn't wear shorts today. Did put shoes on instead of flip flops.

obnoxious001
01-11-2013, 09:03 PM
It would be winterized for sure if I live in colder country like you two Wolfie and 24 Sleek. But I live in So Cal like HB, Wendi and Barry,where we dont normally have to give it a second thought. It's 7:30 on Friday evening and we're already down to 42*. I'm in the foothills in Northern San Diego county at about 2300' elevation, soa little colder than the valleys but like Wendi said 29* Thats down right chilly. Hell I almost didn't wear shorts today. Did put shoes on instead of flip flops.

I was on the phone a bit ago talking with one of my Parker friends about the same topic,, maybe try a lightbulb/droplight under the cover, placed so that it can't melt anything? You are probably only talking about keeping a couple of extra degrees of temperature.

Anybody make a remote thermometer app for smart phones????

The Doctor
01-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Just a note! The drop light can't have a cfl, or led bulb in it, in case you have upgraded to such as they generate zero heat. A good old 100Watt incandescent bulb will usually do the trick if you have a cover to catch the warmth.

76Bonneville
01-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Just a note! The drop light can't have a cfl, or led bulb in it, in case you have upgraded to such as they generate zero heat. A good old 100Watt incandescent bulb will usually do the trick if you have a cover to catch the warmth.
Come on Doc, just because I drive a jet boat, really.
I'll have you know, I put 16 of those LED lights in there so i'll be burning a 100w

76Bonneville
01-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey Wendi and Hotboat, did I qualify for a T-shirt and sticker?:smilies_mit_hut008:

obnoxious001
01-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Hey Wendi and Hotboat, did I qualify for a T-shirt and sticker?:smilies_mit_hut008:

I thought you were supposed to be a new poster for that deal,, you have 27 already? I didn't really read the rules so maybe you do?

76Bonneville
01-12-2013, 01:14 AM
I thought you were supposed to be a new poster for that deal,, you have 27 already? I didn't really read the rules so maybe you do?
OK, maybe just a discount then. I should order one since I didn't make it out to the Parker race for the free giveaway promo.

wolfie
01-12-2013, 10:55 AM

I'm still waiting for my magazine to show up!! :biggrin:

jrork
01-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Yup, up here in the miserable north, many without garages just tarp it up and throw a light in there. BUT, one friend had a bulb burn out and cause trouble with a cracked block. So, Ron go for it but keep an eye on the bulb. You should be fine