PDA

View Full Version : experimental boat needs rigging advice

fastfunco
03-27-2018, 03:05 PM

Hello everyone,
My name is John and im new to this forum. I am just finishing a long project and was hoping for some rigging advice.
I made this carbon fiber hull from my own molds off a plug i messed with for a couple years - I have no idea if this thing is going to work but its time to find out!

hull

length is 16 ft 8 inches with the 10 inch cav plates
width at transom is 60 inches
widest part is 76 inches
5/8 runner
3/4 inch V
reverse dihedral chines like a jet ski
bottom has a 1/4 inch stepright where bottom gets absolutely flat
Chines have 3/4 inch step
boat is glass and carbon fiber
floor has a solid piece of birch 1/2 inch thick running transom to about 18 inches from bow laminated in for a super rigid bottom-
2x6 laminated plywood stringers run transom to bow- tapering to 1 inch at bow
1 bulkhead at 24 inches back from bow
1 bulkhead just under deck as normally done
integral 10 gallon glass fuel tanks on both sides fully boxed in to sides and stringers
1.5 inch thick transom
hull weighs 675 lbs- estimated

engine - 454 LS6 with forged pistons and full floating pins - forged and crossdrilled and nitrided crank- forged hbeem chevy performance dimple 7/16 rods with Arp bolts
milodon gear drive - enderle 80a pump and billet water pump cam driven
990 square port heads fiully ported and polished gasket matched to the big felpro gaskets
BDS intake with pop off valve 871 BDS supercharger without teflon- set up
tight though with anodized rotors
enderle bug catcher
2 1/4 zoomies

10 degree casale and a 12 degree both with whirlaways

8 degree steel strut

its a clean bottom no holes yet

think maybe younguys could help me -

ill tell you right now

i have no idea what im doing from here or who is gunna be dumb enough to drive this thing - my passion is building
not driving

HB Vic
03-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Wow it looks like its going to be gorgeous!

There are a couple people here I'm sure will chime in, give them a bit.

Thank you for posting and welcome to www.hotboat.com !!

fastfunco
03-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Wow it looks like its going to be gorgeous!

There are a couple people here I'm sure will chime in, give them a bit.

Thank you for posting and welcome to www.hotboat.com !!

Thank you very much- this was only accomplished by the enjoyment of the work involved- the amount of hours that went into it were 10 times what I had anticipated- however- sure will be neat if it actually works like I hope - I sure could use help with the strut - if I do it - it will be a guess with no actual real world experience - im excited !!

fastfunco
03-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Well guys I figured this was going to be a problem- nobody has any data on a creation even close to this- Soooo I have a picture of a boat that is set up and balanced perfectly - the picture is a full side shot with the whole boat in the air- the boat I believe is a 19 ft sanger - im going to find the CG of my boat and use this picture as my only guide and WING IT I guess- speaking of Wing - I made a mold for a wing too- that will also be carbon fiber --
im going to go post on performance boats page and see if anyone can help there as well and will keep you all up to date on how this goes - exciting times-

fastfunco
03-30-2018, 10:03 PM
I sure could use some experienced advice on where to set this strut - I am all done with performance boats website- it freezes - does not let me in half the time- and I never have any issues here or at RDP- anyone out there that can help ? I sure don't want to end up cutting new holes- took me a long long time to gelcoat the grafix-
hopefully someone will help- thanks in advance --

dekman
03-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Very cool...esp. the step! Probably should post this on Performance Boats site under v-drives....

HB Vic
03-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Very cool...esp. the step! Probably should post this on Performance Boats site under v-drives....

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
06-04-2018, 10:16 AM
I sure could use some experienced advice on where to set this strut - I am all done with performance boats website- it freezes - does not let me in half the time- and I never have any issues here or at RDP- anyone out there that can help ? I sure don't want to end up cutting new holes- took me a long long time to gelcoat the grafix-
hopefully someone will help- thanks in advance --

Rankin and Gordy know the strut/drill/hole saw/dimensions/geometry/C.G. stuff like the back of their hand... There are gents on here that should have some insight for you, I know that there are several on here that have set them up from scratch as well...

Chris & Joe & Spike & Buzz & Paul & AHOLE HICK...

All I can tell you for sure is that your prop should be SUPER close to your strut... Like .020 - .040 between the two... SO, you can work backwards from your theoretical/ideal prop location.

Sharp shooter
07-05-2018, 10:47 AM
That's a lot of motor for experimenting with. :eh:

Blown-Flat
08-12-2020, 06:18 AM
John did you get some help on installing the strut in the right place yet?

Those struts have to be perfectly in the right place which I'm sure you know.

fastfunco
11-08-2020, 06:20 PM
John did you get some help on installing the strut in the right place yet?

Those struts have to be perfectly in the right place which I'm sure you know.

no - i am just now ready to install the strut and need - ok- would like some help - im not sure on what size to drill the hole but i have laid it out and it appears the strut will work with my 12 degree v drive - the 10 degree vdrive does not fit as well- the 12 is dead nuts - aligns with shaft angle and engine

i have measured half a dozen fast flattys and every single one was 29 to 31 inches from back of cav plates - does this sound right ?

so i took the 31 inch reading as gospel - and 3 boats were all 19 ft - - since my boat is so short - i did the math and im ready to set this strut at 26 inches from the back of my cav plates - anyone that has a better idea based on experience i sure could use your help - i am just guessing using as much common sense as i have-- it aint much

26 inches from back of plates to back of strut
75.5 inches back of transom to center plate on vdrive
24 inches from transom to back of block70189

fastfunco
11-08-2020, 10:18 PM
no - i am just now ready to install the strut and need - ok- would like some help - im not sure on what size to drill the hole but i have laid it out and it appears the strut will work with my 12 degree v drive - the 10 degree vdrive does not fit as well- the 12 is dead nuts - aligns with shaft angle and engine

i have measured half a dozen fast flattys and every single one was 29 to 31 inches from back of cav plates - does this sound right ?

so i took the 31 inch reading as gospel - and 3 boats were all 19 ft - - since my boat is so short - i did the math and im ready to set this strut at 26 inches from the back of my cav plates - anyone that has a better idea based on experience i sure could use your help - i am just guessing using as much common sense as i have-- it aint much

26 inches from back of plates to back of strut
75.5 inches back of transom to center plate on vdrive
24 inches from transom to back of block70189

i guess nobody either knows how to help or just dont want to stick their necks out - this has been a 5 year project and my mentor a racer and champion named Jack Oxley taught me how to make plugs and molds ecc- we experimented with this hull in 1/4 scale remote control boats and ended up with a boat that won national and world championships - we always felt it was a good idea to let the 1/4 scale version take the learning curve than the real boat- however-- Jack has long ago passed away and this i did as a tribute - and its been alot of fun- i will be sure to let you guys know - all 3 or 4 of you?? how this thing does -- yes the engine is alot of motor for a 16 ft boat but top fuel and blown alcohol boats have a much higher HP to length issue than i do -- - i really dont know if strut location is relevant to length and HP - or if it is a set location regardless of them! wish i did - but in the last 2 years while i have been finishing the top - not 1 person has given any advice - nor have i met anyone with experience in a short boat - - as far as design - yes its way different - the step in the bottom was the last thing we thought would work- everyone said - IT WILL NEVER WORK- ITS GUNNA TAKE FLIGHT- but again- these are all bench racers who really have no idea for they never tried it - The first time out was a rough windy day- we thought well--- if it works in this water we got a winner-- - first lap wide open the bow came up started to get to the oh shit zone -- and she unloaded and set flat every single time - the boat ran like a hydro dancing on the 2 small sponsons and prop - That 1/4 scale did 71 mph on radar - and power to weight ration was much better than the real baot - but the slower it ran the better it handled so thats why i went forward with the design -- for the guy who commented its alot oof HP for experimenting -- I have a question-- how will i know if its going to work or not if i put any less to the prop ? anything that floats will work if you go slow enough -- supercharged boats on pump gas are a total joke in my neck of the woods where it gets to be 130 in the summer -- Alky runs nice and cold and i wont have to worry about detonation -- my hopes are to eventually build one with a twin turbo LS engine - but funds just not there for this one -

cpdad93
11-24-2020, 06:44 PM
did you figure this out? I can easure my 16'er.