PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from KY--1st Jet Boat

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Hey folks!
Just picked up my first Jet Boat project and through the course of researching what I do (and don't) have, there were multiple references back to this site.
My background is more automotive related but I got the Jet Boat bug back when I was little watching them fly up and down the river here close to home. I'm new to the Jet Boat game in general but was able to pick up an abandoned project for less than nothing. Its pretty rough but MAY be a good start, I guess I will find out as I move along.
I was able to acquire a 1977 Sleek Craft. Overall, I like the style of the boat but the interior, engine and just about everything are gone. It does still have a 12JE in place (I was told it was still good) but also came with the remnants of a 12JC. He gave me motor mounts, manifolds, bellhousing and other accessories for a 455 Olds. Overall, I don't really have a "plan" of of yet but I would definitely appreciate any feedback you can give me. In all honesty, I have about $150 in the entire thing the way it sits so if its junk, you wont hurt my feelings!
Thanks again in advance for your help and feedback!

-John Johnson
Account Manager
Ridetech Suspension
812-481-4737
jjohnson@ridetech.com

tchb
03-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Looks like a project. keep the pics coming.

76Bonneville
03-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Big project right there.
First thing to check is the stringers. Make sure they're solid.
Sleek Craft's typically have 1/4 stringers or what some call a motor box. If it's a full stringer boat and they're in good condition that's even better.
Also with 1/4 stringer boats, they usually have a subfloor which is part of the structural rigidity and strength of the boat.
I would ditch the Olds for a BBC. So much easier to get parts for a chevy.

K-034
03-15-2018, 04:56 AM
Big project right there.
First thing to check is the stringers. Make sure they're solid.
Sleek Craft's typically have 1/4 stringers or what some call a motor box. If it's a full stringer boat and they're in good condition that's even better.
Also with 1/4 stringer boats, they usually have a subfloor which is part of the structural rigidity and strength of the boat.
I would ditch the Olds for a BBC. So much easier to get parts for a chevy.

I agree about the olds thing, find a big block chevy. Oldsmobiles are known for oiling issues in jet boats. I have a rail kit for a big block Chevy I would sell you cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-15-2018, 06:26 AM
Thanks guys! I sure do appreciate the advice.
I went over the boat pretty good just to make sure there wasn't any severe rot or hole. Luckily, as of now, everything seems to be okay. Its definitely a project for sure.
I was thinking about running an LS in it. I have a couple of them laying around that would be a good candidate for the boat with a little modification.
Are LS swaps pretty common?

JohnnyRotten
03-15-2018, 07:24 AM
technology is difficult for me

JohnnyRotten
03-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Looks like a Rebel. I have a '75 Kauai with Ford/Panther power.

No record breaker but great bar hopper river runner.

Check out Vintage Jet Boat Forums. Lots of info and knowledge on these old turds over there. http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forum.php

foxfam312
03-15-2018, 08:28 AM
Right on, look's to be a nice little project, I would definitely go threw the pump, keep us posted on your progress with pic's of course, welcome to the site

El Toro
03-15-2018, 09:41 AM
looking at the pics, I gotta ask did you find that boat on the bottom of a lake somewhere ? just about any boat can be brought back to life for enough $$$ for a reference point you can find complete running jet boats for $2500. and up. If your a garage mechanic you picked the right project, good luck. keep posting pics.

at one time I scanned the sleekcraft brochure that had your model and stored them on photobucket. I just now went to photobucket to get them but photobucket said no I can't, WTF ?

El Toro
03-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Looks like a Rebel. I have a '75 Kauai with Ford/Panther power.

No record breaker but great bar hopper river runner.

Check out Vintage Jet Boat Forums. Lots of info and knowledge on these old turds over there. http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forum.php

Johnny if that is a recent pic ? that boat is a real survivor. looks showroom new.

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Not in the bottom of a lake but it was in someones backyard. I literally have like $180ish in it. Worst case scenario I turn the trailer into a BBQ pit. Thanks for the encouragement..lol

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-15-2018, 12:36 PM
That's a very nice boat! Thanks for sharing.
Do you know if the specific model is stamped or tagged somewhere on the hull?

JohnnyRotten
03-15-2018, 05:59 PM
I just suck at this.....

JohnnyRotten
03-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Johnny if that is a recent pic ? that boat is a real survivor. looks showroom new.

It's a sweet 19 footer......literally.

Taken last summer, it's got some scratches, dings and gorks but all original. The short boating seasons here helps.

First owner shot clear on it which is now starting to cloud and crack but has saved the original gel.

Taking that off this spring with oven cleaner and touching up some of the dock dings on the yellow.

Waiting for the 43 yr old vinyl upholstery to blow up, but so far so good. In some spots Marine Goop has helped that stay intact.

JohnnyRotten
03-15-2018, 06:15 PM
That's a very nice boat! Thanks for sharing.
Do you know if the specific model is stamped or tagged somewhere on the hull?

The HIN should be on outside starboard transom. Might be covered with paint?

If it's 18 feet it's a Rebel. Sure looks like one to me, Kauai has a dip in the gunnel, Rebel does not.

Also, that hood is worth waaaaay more than you paid for the boat, guard it with your life.

Here's some info on Sleekcraft.

http://www.vintagejetboats.com/content.php?186-Sleek-Craft-Boats

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-21-2018, 05:18 AM
That's awesome information. Thank you for sharing.
Beginning to debate if my skillset and motivation are high enough to see this project through the end. At this point, its not really eating anything and its not in my way. May just chalk it up to out of sight, out of mind right now.
I've been trying to establish a value for insurance purposes. I'm glad you mentioned the hood, I will have to do a little more research into that. Id like to put insurance on it the way it sits, just incase.
Is there a KBB for abandoned jet boat projects??..lol

2manymustangs
03-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys! I sure do appreciate the advice.
I went over the boat pretty good just to make sure there wasn't any severe rot or hole. Luckily, as of now, everything seems to be okay. Its definitely a project for sure.
I was thinking about running an LS in it. I have a couple of them laying around that would be a good candidate for the boat with a little modification.
Are LS swaps pretty common?

Oh NO he didn't........ ^^^ :schreck:

Kidding ya JohnJ... Welcome to HB, please show us your progress and ask plenty of questions... :action-smiley-035:

JohnJ@Ridetech
03-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Just trying to work with what I got..lol.

El Toro
03-22-2018, 01:39 PM
that hood is worth waaaaay more than you paid for the boat, guard it with your life.

the value in the hood, I think maybe, It makes it WAY easier to get the boat insured.