PDA

View Full Version : what i do, how and why..

2FORCEFULL
12-23-2017, 05:46 AM
as most of you know, I try to do things my self, for two reasons, the idea is to make something better, not always the case,... but i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty... and usually can't afford to pay some one to do it,... I feel better when I figure it out and fix it my self. I'm not say'n that I did the best there is,... but can say I did the best I could with what I have to work with...I'm not afraid to try some thing, just to see what happens,... and most of the time I get positive results...but not always... so there is always the chance of a do over,... trial and error is evolution... right????sometimes I do something that works, and people don't believe it....oh well,... and then there are the haters that always have to say something nasty...I try to show how I made an attempt to fix something, in the hopes that if there is a better way, someone will chime in and say, if you would have done it this way it would have worked better,...I'm just try'n to finish out my life being productive...yeah, I'll go buy something just to get to work on it and figure it out..boats and RV's seem to take up my space right now, and I never really thought I was a hack.... but I was enlighten by some professional on another board..I guess others find gratification by being able to right the check, and when it's all said and done say, look what I did,... or look what I built... when really all they did was right the check,... so I guess what I'm really try'n to say, if you know a better way,,, and you can do it better, share with me as i'm allways ready to learn

ChumpChange
12-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Makes life more fun that way! Wish I had the time!

76Bonneville
12-23-2017, 10:33 PM
I also enjoy doing the work myself, fixing, building or just being creative. My son grew up in my cabinet shop and learned to work with his hands. Also learned he didn't want to be a cabinet maker. Went to school and got his mechanical engineering degree. Now he designs, but also can work on prototypes in the shop too. So many kids today have no idea what to do when something breaks or just needs maintenance. Besides working with wood we have a plasma cutter and welder in the garage to play with. My sister has a waterjet machine for technical stuff. A little off the subject,but here is my project I finished today for my grandson for Christmas. Boat I built a few years ago and finally built a trailer for it.

2FORCEFULL
12-24-2017, 06:57 AM
I also enjoy doing the work myself, fixing, building or just being creative. My son grew up in my cabinet shop and learned to work with his hands. Also learned he didn't want to be a cabinet maker. Went to school and got his mechanical engineering degree. Now he designs, but also can work on prototypes in the shop too. So many kids today have no idea what to do when something breaks or just needs maintenance. Besides working with wood we have a plasma cutter and welder in the garage to play with. My sister has a waterjet machine for technical stuff. A little off the subject,but here is my project I finished today for my grandson for Christmas. Boat I built a few years ago and finally built a trailer for it.
That's just bad ass right there...Hey-Lam...look what I did....I started life working with my dad as a drywaller,...and ruff carpenter....and gotta say... to this day,.. my carpentry is pretty ruff....having the right tools, and knowing how to use them is an art in it's self....I know what good finish work looks like...but it's a hill I can't climb....but it keep trying, I have a little table saw, jig saw and a router....but....spending so many years say'n " The tapers can fix that"... or "it'll look good when the painters get done"...I wish I could take a stack of oak and turn it in some bad ass cabinets.... but that where I just right the check....attention to detail is something I have an eye for.... but not the hands...some of the boats that I see where guys pretty much did everything their self just amazes me...that a nice job you did there....I would add some old school through hull exhaust tips to the transom ,...and a steering wheel....you could probley find a cavi plate on the cheep at a boat bone yard... or see'n what you done here.. just make your own...but not to take away from what you did, as it looks very very good as is..thanks for posting,...

tchb
12-24-2017, 09:03 AM
I like to do things myself and learn from others. I just started welding a few projects here in my garage.
Keep doing what you do Steve.

2FORCEFULL
12-24-2017, 12:10 PM
I like to do things myself and learn from others. I just started welding a few projects here in my garage.
Keep doing what you do Steve.

Thanks Tony, Merry Christmas

2manymustangs
12-24-2017, 12:34 PM
That's just bad ass right there...Hey-Lam...look what I did....I started life working with my dad as a drywaller,...and ruff carpenter....and gotta say... to this day,.. my carpentry is pretty ruff....having the right tools, and knowing how to use them is an art in it's self....I know what good finish work looks like...but it's a hill I can't climb....but it keep trying, I have a little table saw, jig saw and a router....but....spending so many years say'n " The tapers can fix that"... or "it'll look good when the painters get done"...I wish I could take a stack of oak and turn it in some bad ass cabinets.... but that where I just right the check....attention to detail is something I have an eye for.... but not the hands...some of the boats that I see where guys pretty much did everything their self just amazes me...that a nice job you did there....I would add some old school through hull exhaust tips to the transom ,...and a steering wheel....you could probley find a cavi plate on the cheep at a boat bone yard... or see'n what you done here.. just make your own...but not to take away from what you did, as it looks very very good as is..thanks for posting,...

2FF, your doing a fine job...

Conversely (to your post here ^^^^ )... I have design/mechanical/machine shop/fine cabinet wood craft and electronic training and I am crippled with the inability of not doing something without blueprinting the dimensions in my head... It drives my father and other carpenters/drywallers/mechanics cray cray... I OVERTHINK everything, to a fault... As a result I don't get very many project completed...

You sir get stuff done, and that is way way way more impressive to me, a quality that I wish I had... :(

The showcase of your other house you built was beyond impressive...

2FORCEFULL
12-24-2017, 03:54 PM
2FF, your doing a fine job...

Conversely (to your post here ^^^^ )... I have design/mechanical/machine shop/fine cabinet wood craft and electronic training and I am crippled with the inability of not doing something without blueprinting the dimensions in my head... It drives my father and other carpenters/drywallers/mechanics cray cray... I OVERTHINK everything, to a fault... As a result I don't get very many project completed...

You sir get stuff done, and that is way way way more impressive to me, a quality that I wish I had... :(

The showcase of your other house you built was beyond impressive...
I just hack everything...lol

2FORCEFULL
01-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Advise to all, keep your day job...I retired when I was 45, haven't had a day off since

CarolynandBob
01-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Retired at 49. If we weren't traveling all the time I would be board unless I did the things you do. Will probably do that when i am in my 60's.

Milkmoney
01-04-2018, 10:40 PM
I got 4 years to go , and think I will move to south Carolina on lake Murray. [emoji106] [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk