PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix this?

GRADS
12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
So the bimini attachment ripped out of the windshield frame. The screws are stripped and because of the size of the thing it hooks to I don't think a bigger diameter screw will work. It looks like somebody might have tried to JB weld it before. Any ideas?

ChumpChange
12-19-2017, 11:04 PM
JB Weld. :D

GRADS
12-19-2017, 11:13 PM
JB Weld. :D

How strong is that shit?

K-034
12-20-2017, 04:50 AM
File the old holes down move it forward or back and re drill and tap them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL
12-20-2017, 05:30 AM
File the old holes down move it forward or back and re drill and tap them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what about nut zerts??

2FORCEFULL
12-20-2017, 05:41 AM
another way might be to pop rivet it..I know I could fix it if I was there...bring it by my house and I'll fix it... I've done so much with so little for so long, I now can do anything with nothing....lol....the other way could be to run longer screws that grab the other side of the tube... or through bolt it with nuts on the other side... looks like it's an on going problem that need to be re engineered ...first figure out why it's coming loose... then the fix will be permanent ....is the attaching part aluminum? you could cut out the section and weld thicker metal that you could thread...
but I have a welding fab shop...and like I said... just bring it by and I'll fix it to where you never have the problem again...

2FORCEFULL
12-20-2017, 05:45 AM
after looking at the pic again... kinda hard with the scroll lines,... but now, I'll say I have fixed these before with stainless pop rivets,...you might wanna make sure you are doing the straps tight enough...

2FORCEFULL
12-20-2017, 05:46 AM
do you have a pic with it on the boat

240Hallett
12-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Can you remove the frame from the glass? If so, go with Steve’s pop rivet idea and put a back up strip inside of the rail. This will give you fresh holes for the rivets and will spread out the load a little bit.

El Toro
12-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Do they even make pop-rivets that big/fat ?

ChumpChange
12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Can you drill all the way through to the other side and use a bolt and nut?

240Hallett
12-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Can you drill all the way through to the other side and use a bolt and nut?

I think the windshield glass goes into the bottom of that extrusion/ rail. Depending on how high the glass goes into the rail, if there’s enough room above the glass you could put a nut up in there with a backing plate.

GRADS
12-20-2017, 09:54 AM
I have no idea what a pop rivet is but I'm open to all ideas. Using a longer screw to grab the other side of the channel won't work because the other side is the glass. Not sure if that piece comes off but I guess I need to look into that. What are your thoughts on welding either the holes closed and tapping them or just even welding the thing to the frame?

240Hallett
12-20-2017, 10:20 AM
I have no idea what a pop rivet is but I'm open to all ideas. Using a longer screw to grab the other side of the channel won't work because the other side is the glass. Not sure if that piece comes off but I guess I need to look into that. What are your thoughts on welding either the holes closed and tapping them or just even welding the thing to the frame?

I’m no expert but I’m assuming that the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless. Not good welding partners. If you’re going to weld up the frame The glass is coming out anyway. FWIW you might want to check the other side...

GRADS
12-20-2017, 10:26 AM
I’m no expert but I’m assuming that the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless. Not good welding partners. If you’re going to weld up the frame The glass is coming out anyway. FWIW you might want to check the other side...

Yes the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless steel. I'm no welder but I wondered about that. Check the other side?

240Hallett
12-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Yes the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless steel. I'm no welder but I wondered about that. Check the other side?

The other side of the boat. I assume there’s an opposing bracket much like this one and if this one’s takin a shit the other side may be as well.

Grimpala
12-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Another vote for a nut-sert. It's basically a threaded pop rivet. Looks like sheet metal screws were used the first time, and then JB Weld to hold it with oversized screws the subsequent times it failed. A nut-sert should be a permanent fix.

Or take it somewhere and have studs TIG welded into the holes and use a nut to hold the bracket on.

GRADS
12-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Another vote for a nut-sert. It's basically a threaded pop rivet. Looks like sheet metal screws were used the first time, and then JB Weld to hold it with oversized screws the subsequent times it failed. A nut-sert should be a permanent fix.

Or take it somewhere and have studs TIG welded into the holes and use a nut to hold the bracket on.

I've never heard of a nut-sert....looks like I'm going to have to fire up Google.

2manymustangs
12-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Grads, is there any opening to the left or right where an aluminum slug could be made and slid inside the extrusion to be drilled and tapped? Any way at all to get something larger diameter inside the aluminum tubing?

Hye power
12-21-2017, 12:49 AM
Definitely nut sert

2FORCEFULL
12-21-2017, 08:14 AM
I've never heard of a nut-sert....looks like I'm going to have to fire up Google.
this is a easy fix with either a pop riviet or nut zert... even the good installers popr rivet the cleats on so they don't come off.. sheet metal screws work there way loose and cause this problem... stainless pop riviets are pretty much a for ever fix and it's how they should ave done it to start with,.. most don't wanna take the extra time and just run self tapping screws in...problem there is the metal isn't thick enough to keep the screw tight with the bouncing around on a boat... when you get a bimini top done, they usually want extra money to pop rivet every thing...