PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Shovelnose ID

JohnnyRotten
12-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Hi HBer's

Don't see too many of these around the Great White North.....had to do a double take when I spotted this only a couple miles from my place.

Didn't get a length or HIN as I really wasn't sposed to be there. Take pics and git.

Any ideas on what it is? Hoping the gurus could ID even with the snow and ice encrusted lines of this poor orphan.

May go back and talk to owner if it's a worthwhile hull. Did have an off-set rudder at some point.

Needs everything and then some. No Mouzers around here for good used rigging either.

Hate to see something decent go to shit laying on the ground filling with snow, water etc.

Thanks

HB Vic
12-13-2017, 03:24 PM
thats sad

76Bonneville
12-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Don't anything about those, except that I love the look of the shovel nose

2manymustangs
12-13-2017, 05:47 PM
get it, you never know if it was a historically significant drag boat... I would say its a Sanger based on the lines/dash/stern (the Sangers have a unique look where the sponsons transition into the gunns on the side)

put it in the back yard upside down... :)

JohnnyRotten
12-14-2017, 04:10 AM
....or sit in it and make 1500 horse blower motor noises and then launch myself over the deck and onto the lawn.

Prolly go see if I can make contact with owner just to see what's up, maybe get a better look at condition and if there is any hardware squirrelled away.

If he cared or was moving forward with it.....she'd be upside down or covered, that's for sure.

From my quick walk around the floor and stringers didn't look terrible but that doesn't mean they're good.

HIN could be inside or outside transom?

JohnnyRotten
12-14-2017, 07:12 AM

Seems like top of port stringer rear may be a good spot to look.

On the slim chance someone might recognize it....this had 3 blue airbrushed angled bars and smokey random black scallops? along hull aft of sponsons.

I'm thinking '69-'72?

2manymustangs
12-14-2017, 07:16 AM
....or sit in it and make 1500 horse blower motor noises and then launch myself over the deck and onto the lawn.

Prolly go see if I can make contact with owner just to see what's up, maybe get a better look at condition and if there is any hardware squirrelled away.

If he cared or was moving forward with it.....she'd be upside down or covered, that's for sure.

From my quick walk around the floor and stringers didn't look terrible but that doesn't mean they're good.

Probably transom, photos of the graphics (minus the snow) may be helpful as well... AND shots of any other graphics on the hull...

SAMPLE: "SANSH214D686"

[SAN] Sanger
[SH] ski hydro top
[2] mold number two
[14] 14th day of the month
[D] drag bottom
[6] sixth month of the year june
[86] year built

JohnnyRotten
12-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Thanks.

Need to get back over there when ice is softer, we got a heat wave coming on Monday....37˚

2manymustangs
12-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks.

Need to get back over there when ice is softer, we got a heat wave coming on Monday....37˚

From what little I can see, it looks like factory Sanger artwork/graphics, which I love... All of the factory art was lost on my Sanger hydro... :(

JohnnyRotten
12-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Got back and talked to the owner.

He's had it for 5-10 years, bought it at a local auction for a buck. Spent 150 dollars to move it, wife was livid.

Said he'll sell it for 200 dollars which is 150 more than I offered but probably worth it considering where I live.

Gonna get back to him on that after I get a little more info.

Has no real knowledge about it or paperwork on it.

I forgot to get the length but might head back tomorrow and give it another look see without him hovering.

The artwork appeared to be painted on as there were a few spots where the white gelcoat showed through.

Aside from two 1" holes holes along the hull on each side about two feet back from sponson......? and some scrapes and a couple stress stars, the hull looked pretty good.

No dark spots on the stringer holes. Scratched some lychen off the strb transom but saw no readable HIN.

Sorry for the crappy pics, had to resize to get them to work. Last one is under deck behind dash if that helps anyone out.

JohnnyRotten
12-20-2017, 03:29 AM
How much hp will this need to be fun?

It's 19.6 long

Think I got these pix sizes sussed out.

Here's a shot of the bow profile.

Also the strut, gearbox mount? and three ? thingies in hull.

No HIN without some serious sanding.

JohnnyRotten
12-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Oh that's right......boating content.

2manymustangs
12-20-2017, 07:00 PM
That doesn't look like Sanger hardware but the deck & sponson artwork sure looks familiar...

Can you make the smaller pics larger and higher resolution?

Did you say that at one point it had outboard steering?

2manymustangs
12-20-2017, 07:12 PM
"Last one is under deck behind dash if that helps anyone out."

If that is looking under the deck, are we seeing daylight along the bow/front end of the hull? :yikes:

2manymustangs
12-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Im going to say its a Hondo and not a Sanger... based on the gunnels/chines/shape of transom

JohnnyRotten
12-20-2017, 07:33 PM
"Last one is under deck behind dash if that helps anyone out."

If that is looking under the deck, are we seeing daylight along the bow/front end of the hull? :yikes:

Sunny day and light shined thru gel where it was capped, also on deck where paint was thin or gone.

Lets see how big I can go......

JohnnyRotten
12-20-2017, 07:37 PM

JohnnyRotten
12-20-2017, 07:41 PM
The last pic shows offset rudder holes

2manymustangs
12-21-2017, 09:29 AM
AND it doesn't take all that much HP to go fast in a Vdrive HYDRO... If a SK can go 80+ with 500 HP, the hydro can go faster, I believe...

It's the most efficient way to go through water, as compared to a flat, jet, whacker on a Vpad or MVPad or a deep V or any other hull...

3 points of contact as your speed builds, sponsons and the prop...

BUT , I wouldn't do anything with that hull unless you really like the itch of fiberglass and love mixing resin, and painting.... The floors/stringers will be saturated with water, rest assured.... Look at Buzz and Paul's rebuild thread, that is what your looking at, a total gutting of all wood/floors and rebuild all structures just to get to a point where you can begin to make it look nice...

http://www.wannaberacing.com/sk51.html (http://www.wannaberacing.com/sk51.html)

It would be a cool piece of wall art in your man cave SHOP...

JohnnyRotten
12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
It would be a cool piece of wall art in your man cave SHOP...

....great minds think alike.

I'm close to finishing up a runner bottom build and had a lot more to start with........ kinda inclined to buy closer to turn key next time. :grad:

It might be different if the lakes and rivers didn't get so friggin hard 6 months out of 12 around here.

Thanks for the input TMM

JohnnyRotten
12-22-2017, 04:39 AM
I'd keep it a total roach like Rick Kings snotty sounding scruffy turd. Can't get enuff of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chc7CRuS0u0

The thought had also briefly crossed my mind it would be cool to stuff a direct drive stroker up front similar to this one...

.... I already have a massive Peterbilt steering wheel. :idea:

Poetry in motion.

mouzer
03-07-2018, 07:38 PM
i bought that off rick king last i saw it was in az with a blower motor still looked the same