PDA

View Full Version : Sold my Hallett...

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Kind of a sad happy day...but first...I wanna clean the air.... I knew who was getting the boat...and I have no problem with the deal at all...
next.... there was nothing wrong with the boat, that was not the reason for the sale..I just want a 210/ or a 21 schiada...or some thing close...here's what happens... the hallett cruises at 60... half throttle...my son has to run on pin on his hallett...
lake mead gets rough... and the 270 loves it...when we go out, my son has to run the fuc out of his boat to keep up....and , as nice as the 210 runs....it's no match for the 270...so the thought is , before my son goes crazy on his 210 to out run DAD...I just wanna down size so that we run the same.....

when I got the 270, and after some seat time,there was a lot going on...the boat would do some weird shit out of no where...the x was way too high for a pleasure boat...and would get violent past mid range.... the boat had a dangerious prop walk and would get out of hand at full throttle..although I didn't buy the boat to go fast... and it had a nice cruise speed... you really had to drive the boat....the boat did fine unless there was water change.. the rocking would start.... what I figured was going on was one prop would try to come out of the water...surface... while the other would get buried...and that force would cause the buried prop to get more bite... and cause it to try to surface...when that started happening it would start to bow stear...

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 07:47 AM
So.... here's what I did to the boat, when I first got the boat... I put a straight edge on the bottom to see where neutral was...with both drives at neutral... one gauge read 1.0 and the other read 2.5, so I adjusted the gauges to read 2.0 on both sides....with the drives tucked, one side read 1.5 and the other went to 0. so now a new problem.... one drive went lower than the other... with a lot of head scratchin... and looking at the situation....I finally found the problem...some one... not to mention names... put blocks on the drives that go to bravo 3's... and on one side they turned the blocks to where the drive wouldn't go all the way down as far as the other.... the idea behind the blocks id because of the transom lift on the bravo 3, and it will cause bow steer...so took the blocks out..now the boat gets on plane effortless... and it cruises nice...but ... top end it still was a hand full...

HB Vic
09-21-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I actually thought you were going hang on to that one for awhile.

Well, you know the old saying....better to get rid of it before it gets rid of you. Or something like that lol

Congrats I think lol

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I actually thought you were going hang on to that one for awhile.

Well, you know the old saying....better to get rid of it before it gets rid of you. Or something like that lol

Congrats I think lol

the boat was really too big for a second boat...that and its a 100 mile trip to mead and back from my house..that boat with twins is a heavy mo-fo

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 07:56 AM
so now, the next problem..... the X was way too high, and it just didn't handle like a pleasure boat with twins..you really had to drive the boat and the trim and tabs where real sensitive...with the drive that high, any amount of trim to get the bow up would cause it to hop like peter cotton tail....and once it started hopping... you pretty much had to shut it down..so I added 1.5 drive spacers...

tchb
09-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Time for another toy. Dune season anyway!

Now no excuse to get the garages cleaned out.

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 08:10 AM
so now,, here's where I was at...rocket out of the hole...great mid range...but something was still going on at faster speed..it only like to bust through rollers straight on..if not, it would pitch side to side and start to bow steer..so back to the straight edge and the looking process ....what I found was the outer edge of the lower cav plates where below the water line, and as soon a s you tried to trim up..they would grab water... as long and they were in smooth water...they did nothing but cause drag.... but in rollers and chop... the drag would chage side to side.... and cause the boat to steer .... pretty wild ride on speed.....so.... I started looking at different lowers...what I noticed, any of the performace lowers didn't have the big wrap around cav plates... and all of the out board lowers that had jack plate type set ups didn't have them either.... so I did a mod to the stock ones....it was gonna cost 20k for two new imco lowers... and really all I was gonna gain was lowers that didn't have the cav plates..and what were the lowers worth..1000 buck each???? and if the idea didn't work....I still had to buy new lowers....so I got lucky...and it worked...

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Time for another toy. Dune season anyway!

Now no excuse to get the garages cleaned out.

garages are cleaned out and RZR's are ready to go...

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 08:25 AM
so now, on the quest to be the baddest mo fo...every time I did something so far was positive...and the boat just got better and better in the handling dept.

but... still more to go...so i'm out in the wind and big ass mead waves...the boat seemed to be like a stable house and would try to turn back to the dock on it's own....and after talking to guru after guru... they all seemed to say the same thing.... the props are spinning the wrong direction ...and it's a easy trial and error...swap the props around,, and see what happens....WOW... it worked...the boat is now amazing...runs though any thing with ease....done right????? wrong,... as with anything that you fine tune....there still more....lol

now whats happening....you still couldn't Ghost ride the boat....and it didn't track in a straight line... so back to head scratching sitting on a bucket looking at the transom.....with tape measure and straight edge in hand, I found that the drives were way toed out,... and it's said that they should toed in 1/8" or so...trial and error type deal... see what works and that where to keep it deal

like I said... it's a 100 mile trip to the lake and back..and I did the adjusting a little at a time..

jordy
09-21-2017, 08:38 AM
lake mead gets rough... and the 270 loves it...when we go out, my son has to run the fuc out of his boat to keep up....and , as nice as the 210 runs....it's no match for the 270...so the thought is , before my son goes crazy on his 210 to out run DAD...I just wanna down size so that we run the same.....

You could have sold his 210 and found another 270. Ever think about that? ;-)

Keymyster
09-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the sale of your Hallett Steve.

2manymustangs
09-21-2017, 01:34 PM
I admire your ability to buy/tinker/sell/start over/buy/tinker/sell........... :)

2FORCEFULL
09-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I admire your ability to buy/tinker/sell/start over/buy/tinker/sell........... :)
hopefully I can end up with a nice 210 hallett,

tchb
09-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Next time in Havasu I will take you golfing.

I owe you lunch or dinner for the tire.

steak&lobster
09-21-2017, 09:02 PM
it doesn't matter, you will sell it within a month or so of getting it
hopefully I can end up with a nice 210 hallett,

ColeBoater
09-22-2017, 06:41 AM
it doesn't matter, you will sell it within a month or so of getting itAin't that the truth!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL
09-22-2017, 07:04 AM
it doesn't matter, you will sell it within a month or so of getting it
boats are like picking up chicks at the bar, you can't keep all of them, some you bring home, and then can't wait till they are gone...we have had our boat which was built to our spec for 4 years, the one before it we kept for 4 years, and the only reason for upgrading was to get the 525 power, in fact we were down there and gonna do just a motor swap, but, when bob said, why go through all the bull shit of swapping motors, give me 10k and your boat and i'll build you a brand new boat with a 525, so with the swap I upgraded to full hydraulic steering, a 525, and a 4 year newer boat.... I know most of you wouldn't do something like that for fear of being drug over the coals and stabbed with a pitch fork cause you get to do what ever you want... but...my Wife liked the idea ... so we did it..the boat works perfect for us and our family and friends...plenty of power, and lots of room....as for a second boat...I just would rather have a smaller , closer to the water boat for vegas... we have to tow 100 mlies for a lake trip to mead..that and I like to go out during the week, most the time it's by my self... the 270 with twins is a bad ass boat...right now I need the cash, I 'm building a house out of pocket,..most of my money is tied up, I built two there out of pocket and carried the notes...getting good interest and nice to have about 10 a month coming in..but, I have a million tied up in havasu property,.I have balloons on the notes and they are close to the ends, but I would rather extend them if I can.. but we have a older home in havasu....wife want a new house ... so there you have it...I have been getting rid of stuff that we don't use..like the mustang GT that just sets most of the time...we have cars and shit every where...So as much as people poke fun.... I started with less than a hundred bucks...

2FORCEFULL
09-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Soooo... to add to this thread....about 6 months ago.... I seen this sleekcraft jet boat....thought it would be perfect for a second boat... we could use it on the lower river,.. and a nice boat to run the coves at mead and find the low spots..Well, guess what... I went all the way to Idaho to get it, brought it home, gutted the interior and had it re upholstered...and that's where it set...short time after buying the sleek, I bought the hallet....I bought the hallett because it was so unique, and knew I had only one chance at buying it..it is the only one made with 2 step bottom and twin scorpion motors...at the time, I also had a cheetah that I took tradein from my son as he wanted my hallett 210,yes I quickly sold the cheetah,and he loves the 210 hallett..not sure that the sleek is a keeper, but I think it's cool as hell and you don't see them everywhere...probley a better choice would be a CP..... but the sleek was way cheeper and more rare...So now what I have to do is get more motivated on the Sleekcraft...and at least take it out and run it....right.... or just sell it and get a Schiada, or 210 hallett...both of which have become very rare to find...

so there it is folks.... fuc'd up situation huh...

2FORCEFULL
09-22-2017, 07:35 AM
heres the new sleek interior...

El Toro
09-22-2017, 08:51 AM
looks like the 20' aristocrat, is it tunnel or v bottom ? they are nice looking boats.

09-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Congrats on the sale Steve.:thumbsUp:

Those twin step 270's can get a little scary at higher speeds, can't imagine how one would handle with another 400 to 600 hundred pounds thrown in the ass end.

But they do look bad a$$ on the trailer. :wink_002:

HB Vic
09-22-2017, 04:37 PM
So are you unbanned now? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL
09-22-2017, 08:15 PM
looks like the 20' aristocrat, is it tunnel or v bottom ? they are nice looking boats.

it's the tunnel... hope to get it in the water in the next few days..

2FORCEFULL
09-22-2017, 08:16 PM
So are you unbanned now? Lmao

lol...IDK...didn't try...

HB Vic
09-22-2017, 11:14 PM
lol...IDK...didn't try...

You know. You're a smart cookie and I'm not a fool lol

Doesn't matter. You got what you wanted and he got what he wanted. That's a good thing no matter what [emoji1360]

2FORCEFULL
09-23-2017, 06:19 AM
You know. You're a smart cookie and I'm not a fool lol

Doesn't matter. You got what you wanted and he got what he wanted. That's a good thing no matter what [emoji1360]

there is a lot going on with that hallett, one of the things that was what made me do the deal, is the fact that RD knows a lot of people that really know boats drives and such...one being Brian at B&D...I wish he wasn't mad at me cause he would have been very helpful when I was trying to tune the rigging,...pretty hard to explain to people what the boat "WAS" doing before.... when they never drove or rode in the boat...
.as far as the boat being perfect when I got it , that so unbelievable wrong it just makes me laugh....when I bought the boat, the owner said he got the boat from his Dad and just wasn't the boat for him, he also stated that he never drove the boat past cruise..40-50 mph...

as far as the boat set up right....how is it right when one drive goes down farther then the other???how is it right when the drives are towed out 3/8''????how is it right when you throttle the boat out of the hole it blows the props out?... how is it right when you drive in rough water it lists side to side and tries to throw you out of the boat???

I personally think that a big heavy twins should be very stable...you should not have to hold the wheel to go straight..if you have to have the death grip on the wheel... something is not right..

when I bought the boat...I told the guy... I don't need to water test it as I was able and wanting to mess with it..It was part of the deal that I wasn't "THAT" guy that was gonna be calling and bitching about the boat..what ever it was , is what it is and my boat... we were both happy...

I spent a lot of time mess ing with that hallett,.. and like I said,. with out being there to drive and ride in the boat and being able to see what the changes did, is just talking shit..
I have helped a lot of people prop there boats right...some don't care how dangerous the boat is... they just wanna pick up 2 mph on the top end..I say if you wanna win every race... race slower boats...lol there is always some one faster..

I had a 29 force..single carb 598 825 hp..I out ran every 105 mph *** out there... got on plane faster, rode better at cruise, and ate up the big mead rough waves .... when I got it from force, Brad drove the boat...the X was way high... struggled to get on plane... and it gps'd at mead 96 mph...the boat would kite in the big waves and you could keep it on pin..

.I put 1'' spacers and added tunnel tabs...after that it would gps at 99.8 at mead elevation ... it would run across the waves and stay flat,... those of you that have never stood a boat straight up at 95 mph.. there is no way to explain the feeling..

after I did the mods...Brad drove the boat.... with a blank look on his face.. he said..get out on the beach...let me drive this muther fuc'r...he did a couple on pin pass's it was cool to be able to see the set the boat was taking....when he came back to the beach to get me,...lol and yes he did come back..he had a grin on his face and said.."I have drove a lot of 29 force boats, and I got to say this,this is not the fastest, but the best driving and handling 29 I have ever drove!!!"

so there was a good evaluation... a before and after...to go on line and not know nothing about the boat, and make comments.....lol... you can add what I think...

for some reason, people are Brand proud... think what ever the boat builders says is gospel , they will run the wrong prop forever..as much as I like halletts, every one I get is fuc'd up if that's the word...

I sold a 270 to this ass hole..more like I gave it to him...the boat was fuc'd up...or just kinda weird..I never really got to drive the boat, maybe twice,, both times it was flat glass out...we got down to havasu and he start complaining..
.I figured it was his 400 lb fat ass on one side making the boat list...he didn't have it long and sold it to 270. .... 270. calls me and say's WTF is wrong with this Hallett?? what did you do to it???
I tell him nothing is wrong with the boat that I know of, the guy I bought it from drove it for over 10 yrs and said it was a bad MO-FO.. I told him I did notice that it struggled to get on plane.. and didn't like trim at all..
So, I don't know how he figured it out but, it was fuc'd up from the build... a 2000 boat, and it took some one that said, there is some thing wrong here...270. found that they put spacers in the drive to keep it from going all the way down..took the spacers out and BAM!!! baddest MO -fo on the water.

.we drove our halletts on pin from katherens landing and the way to the dam..that step bottom boat took a set and hauled ass...all because the new owner said, I don't care what, or who built and rigged this boat...it's not right..I have owned a lot of halletts ,210's..240's..270's and even a few hallett jet boats..all of them had room for improvement...

2FORCEFULL
09-23-2017, 06:39 AM
Congrats on the sale Steve.:thumbsUp:

Those twin step 270's can get a little scary at higher speeds, can't imagine how one would handle with another 400 to 600 hundred pounds thrown in the ass end.

But they do look bad a$$ on the trailer. :wink_002:

66145[/QUOTE]

..maybe you could tell the story of how you fix'd that hallett,..lol... you might get mobbed though...lol

2FORCEFULL
09-24-2017, 06:01 AM
so I found this out about the hallett, they fill'd the bow with lead shot....what would be the reason, could it be the X was too high and it wouldn't get on plane??? or because of the porpoise?? .with the drives having the limit blocks, you could not trim them down all the way and it struggled to get on plane when I got the boat... that and you had to drive it neg. trim or it would start hopping..just my thinking here..but,.. I would think this would be a better boat as an open bow is it needs more front weight???to me having to put ballest weight it the front of a 27' cruise boat seems weird..but... as much as everyone thinks I fuc'd the boat up by dropping the drives...it worked ,... that hallett now works as is...but all three of the 2ff's will never convince the others...I never though i'd figure out why they put the limit block in the drives as nothing good could come from it... but... I think when they did it , they had to fill the front with lead to get it to get on plane...

2FORCEFULL
09-24-2017, 06:03 AM
does any one else have a hallett with lead shot in the bow???I've never heard or seen this in all the boats we (the 2ff's) owned

HB Vic
09-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Lead shot in the bow for weight distribution?? That don't sound right at all lol

2FORCEFULL
09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Lead shot in the bow for weight distribution?? That don't sound right at all lol

I'm telling you, when I bought the boat The guy was way cool.. I told him,I'm the buyer for the boat because I think it's fuc'd up...and you will never get a call from me about the way the boat handles....if it doesn't work... i'll pull the motors and make it back to a single engine boat... there's a lot going on with the bottom of that boat also... there's a scalloped pad running down the center..if you take the regular straing bottom with twin....the x is 4'' lower than the two step.... the high X combined with the 2 step bottom is the problem... hallett never made a true step bottom.....the put insert in the straight bottom mold...machining the truly bad ass bailey tooling into a frankenstien...it likes....lol... I love boats, all kinds, and like to think that if there is a way to make it work,... I'll figure it out..."holy moses" and "hallett21" seen it run.....I got it fixed IMO...now I guess it's getting re rigged back to being fuc'd up.....oh well..they'll see then...LOL

bigbluhallett270
09-24-2017, 01:38 PM
It will be interesting to see what Dave changes ...

2FORCEFULL
09-25-2017, 05:43 AM

when I talked to him he said he's gonna re rig the whole boat???

2FORCEFULL
09-25-2017, 05:53 AM

he also seems very candid about the whole deal,... not much has been post' he said he has been very busy and hasn't had a chance... pretty sure i'll get flamed and blamed for that boat..
oh well, such is life... I spent many hours of my life sorting out that boat... you can now ghost ride that boat in the ruff water , it gets right on plane, and the mid range will plant you in the seat..
I never bought the boat to be fast...and mo opinion is you would go faster in a single engine... it's turning 24p bravos, and I would guess that it will just as easy spin 26p props...it seems to shut down around 5000 rpms, and I thought those where 6000 rpm motors,... maybe some one was in the computer and lowered the rev???I'm gonna say this.... you did not want to go WOT in that boat for long, and maybe on the water test they figured out it would be dangerous and slowed it down...it has the bigger 18'' tabs(I think)... and is real sensitive to tab and drive settings..

El Toro
09-25-2017, 02:21 PM
what's going on with your old boat ?

?????????????????

don't post much over there, heck I hardly post over here.

update: oops, apparently not allowed to post the link, I think ?

2FORCEFULL
09-25-2017, 05:23 PM
what's going on with your old boat ?

?????????????????

don't post much over there, heck I hardly post over here.

update: oops, apparently not allowed to post the link, I think ?

if you're talking about the 270,..sold it and now people are doing a lot of talking..

El Toro
09-25-2017, 07:06 PM
I posted a link to the new owners restoration page with pics & video. nothing you can't find on your own.

09-26-2017, 01:19 PM

..maybe you could tell the story of how you fix'd that hallett,..lol... you might get mobbed though...lol[/QUOTE]

That was a bad a$$ boat, probably my favorite one I've ever owned. The twin step handled very well but just thought I mess with Dave some. He actually took a picture my wife posted years ago that showed the wake of my 270 and did a John Madden like break down of what was going on back there.

Wish I'd of saved the pic because it was pretty funny. :)

I'm sure Dave's new 270 will be a great boat for him and his family. :thumbup: