PDA

View Full Version : Selling Stuff Stories

ChumpChange
09-14-2017, 09:37 AM
So I ran across this picture in the Randomness Thread and it reminded me of the crazy story of this bike.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160622/8ab082c00bac18351116a9e2b23319a4.jpg

So I bought this bike along with another to fix up, ride a bit, and ultimately sell. I tear it all down, put new stuff everywhere (neighbor is a distributor of parts and a mechanic), and list it for sale on Craigslist. At this time, I had yet to transfer title into my name as AAA could not do the transfer on this bike and my appointment with DMV was about a week out. The seller I purchased it from had not had it in his name either and it was just some random guy, let's say Jeff Smith.

About a week after listing, I get a message from a lady asking me to call her. I call her and she immediately says he husband would like to talk to me. The guy gets on the phone and tells me that he is Jeff Smith and the bike is still in his name. He knows the bike as he raced for MHR. He wasn't calling to say the bike is his but that he keeps getting hit for the registration and it gets withheld from his tax refund. He also tells me that it's a track bike and can't be registered. I tell him no worries and that it will be in my name within a week as my appointment with DMV is coming up. He tells me the penalties are expensive and when I finally ask him what expensive is, he says $67.00. I thank him for the info but I wasn't worried and we hang up.

About five minutes later, the wife calls me back and asks if I had talked to Jeff about the bike for their son. He is getting to the age where he rides and it would be cool if he got the bike. I say "well you did find the bike in the for sale section so feel free to make an offer" to which she replies that it would be weird to buy a bike that's already in their name. I ask her if she sold the bike to someone else and she affirms. I told her if she wanted to buy it that she would save sales tax and just need to pay the registration up to date. She passed on the deal as she still can't comprehend that she sold the bike and would need to buy it back.

She literally was thinking that because the bike was in her name that she should just get it back even after she sold it to somebody previously and was paid for it. I told her that she can call me a week later when it's in my name and maybe it will then make more sense to her.

Well anyway, at my DMV appointment, the lady ends up giving me a license plate for this CR250. I immediately took down my ad, increased my price by over $1,000, relisted it, and sold it a week later as a street plated bike.

The fun of selling stuff.

2manymustangs
09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
I REALLY suck at selling stuff, good at buying but BAD at selling... I guess that is why I have so much CRAP... ;)

P.S. thats a really odd story about that lady... :D

ChumpChange
09-14-2017, 10:33 AM
P.S. thats a really odd story about that lady... :D

To hear the silence on the phone as she tried to comprehend that she'd have to buy the bike back was priceless! Completely discounting the fact that she had sold it to somebody else.

2manymustangs
09-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Thats CrayZZZZ... People never cease to amaze me... :D

HB Vic
09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

314joey
09-14-2017, 11:22 AM
She wanted something for nothing...................she must have been a democrat.

rschap1
09-15-2017, 07:54 AM
My first boat I bought, sold, bought back, sold, bought again, and finally sold without seeing in about 15 years now finally.