PDA

View Full Version : IF you could....?

GotHalos
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
If you could do it all over again, would you build from scratch or buy a finished boat?

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

The Doctor
12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
We can all do it over and over again and again if we choose. I currently have a Schiada 21' River Cruiser that we were pleased to purchase because this hull isn't something many replicate in their garages. We have upgraded things a bit but were generally pleased to just purchase it. Now, we also have a Hallett flat (we've had for multiple decades) that now needs new floor, glass tanks cut out, new stringers and everything else so it will be a fun project for the boys and I. We also have two Biesemeyer flats to build and we see it as a grand opportunity where the possibilities are nearly endless. :D

WMC
12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll let you know after I finish the Campbell. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Mitch
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
From scratch ......

obnoxious001
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
From scratch ......

Yeah, but you can't buy something and just leave it alone!

Mitch
12-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Thats no fun !!!!! Agt001

GoFastRacer
12-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Unless the price is "right" I'd start from scratch, because whatever you buy there's always something you won't like about it and next thing you know you start over anyhow,LOL..

GotHalos
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I'll let you know after I finish the Campbell. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Hurry up and let me know!!! :D

Unless the price is "right" I'd start from scratch, because whatever you buy there's always something you won't like about it and next thing you know you start over anyhow,LOL..

All good points, now only if I can find the "right" deal!

74 Howard 21rc
03-19-2013, 05:42 AM
You know I always like to build my own stuff.I have put together a lot of cars/trucks.When I sold them I lost my ass on them.Would I build a boat Hell Ya! Just because I have some knowledge on doing it and to say that I built it.My cruiser I have now was built by someone else.I engoy it,use it. For what I paid for it sombody else invested the money and I enjoy using it!

K-034
03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I would buy one together and redo it. You can still change things the way you want them and you have parts that you can reuse and don't have to buy , like V-drive, plate harware, steering pullies, or whatever is still good. Alot of parts just need to be sent to a polisher or powdercoater and they look new again. Gives you a better base to start with and possibly on the water a little cheaper and faster, in my opion

74 Howard 21rc
03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
I would buy one together and redo it. You can still change things the way you want them and you have parts that you can reuse and don't have to buy , like V-drive, plate harware, steering pullies, or whatever is still good. Alot of parts just need to be sent to a polisher or powdercoater and they look new again. Gives you a better base to start with and possibly on the water a little cheaper and faster, in my opion

:thumbsUp::thumbsUp:

GotHalos
03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
:thumbsUp::thumbsUp:

This is what I'm leaning toward. Hopefully going to see a boat later in the week.

ptc
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I would buy one together and redo it. You can still change things the way you want them and you have parts that you can reuse and don't have to buy , like V-drive, plate hardware, steering pullies, or whatever is still good. Alot of parts just need to be sent to a polisher or powdercoater and they look new again. Gives you a better base to start with and possibly on the water a little cheaper and faster, in my opinion

This is a very good perspective on putting "a boat" together. Just like finding and old car project, if the car has all the parts its alot easier to deal with than buying a frame and a body and piecing it all together. In the long run it will save you quite a bit of cash. Any boat you buy out there is gonna have some "project" part of it. I dont care how much the owner says its "turn-key" there will always be something you will want to change.... its just in a mans DNA!!!!

So you just gotta choose how much "turn-key" you want to find completed and then finish the rest to your own taste. Just make sure that the "turn-key" portion really is COMPLETE as stated.... thats the real trick to find.

Unless you got deep pockets, "Scratch-Built Boating" is not a reality, and certainly not for profit!!!!

Menace Marine
06-21-2013, 08:58 PM
I get this a lot. I always tell people if you can truly afford it brand new is great but for most of us it's not the best option. I always try to find boats with the right parts. Gel or paint is expensive to change so try to find something you like. Big motors are the easy part. Hydraulic steering and hp gimbals and big drives add up fast. Find something with enough good parts to justify spending the money to make it great.

Menace Marine
06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
And above all else. Make sure whatever you do you do it right. It will cost more money in the end to do it twice.

wannabe
06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
I am starting one this week. Gonna take the skill saw to the hull and get to work on new stringers, floor, deck, and full rigging. Home built trailer, engine, paint, etc. REally the only way I can afford to have a boat like I want.

The Doctor
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I am starting one this week. Gonna take the skill saw to the hull and get to work on new stringers, floor, deck, and full rigging. Home built trailer, engine, paint, etc. REally the only way I can afford to have a boat like I want.

You guys just barely finished re-doing your mother's Schiada. Don't you ever just sit and watch TV?

GotHalos
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Looking forward to seeing the build!

S1nn3r7
07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
from scratch

GotHalos
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Thank you for all of the replies guys, they have all helped tremendously. I'm still looking for the "right" boat hoping there will one of those "love at first sight" moments.