PDA

View Full Version : Speed boat vs deckboat vs pontoon...

2FORCEFULL
07-23-2017, 05:46 AM
IT'S SEEMS THE EVOLUTION OF BOATING swiftly keeps changing...
.in the early 70's when I got my first boat..1957 biesmeyer...65 hp merc outboard...the "I wanna go faster and have a bigger boat was the constant thought.....It was a little tough , but you could ski behind the little boat...there were many a fun times , go find a spot,set up day camp, unload everything out of the boat and spend the day sking.. tubing..hanging out with friends..

.I was living in paso robles then out by lake nacimento...the whole group was about sking and hanging out at the beach..when I moved back to vegas...mead was about the same... but, we always would head over to HP cove before sundown and watch the hot boat come down the hill from boulder city,,,, bad ass schiada's and lower dullys..it was a dream... some day.I'm gonna own some thing like that.

.I was in my early 20's.. married with a couple kids to feed... but we seemed to be able to make it to the lake every weekend..boating was boating back then...you used the boat to get to the beach...and to ski...some times we would camp on the beach....as time went on... it seemed that people spend a lot more time In the boat...boats got faster..gas tanks got bigger..the bigger jet boats started fading away at the just plain sucked up all the fuel you could carry.

.boats started having open bows...inline 4 cylinder boats were getting replaced with 454 's... now there a majority of boat that will run over 50 mph..and it evolved from there...we used to trailer to the area we were going boating....now you just go there on the water..put in at havasu... boat up to needles...:coffee:

2FORCEFULL
07-23-2017, 05:52 AM
So... with the evo of boats ..came the open bow, the deck boats, and now the high performance pontoon...true performance boaters heckle at open bow boats and pontoons..in fact... they seem to heckle at everything some times..LOL...",they ruined that boat when the cut that big hole in the bow" or " that's not a boat, it's a dock with a motor bolted to it"...

2FORCEFULL
07-23-2017, 05:58 AM
so now... here we are 7/23/2017...people are now willing to give up the performance speed boat for the usability of the deck and pontoon boats. .they wanna haul more and more people in the same boat... give up how fast the boat is.... for how good it is at the beach...they are in and out of the boat all day long...drive them right up on the beach ...leave all their stuff in the boat...

2FORCEFULL
07-23-2017, 06:05 AM
so whats next...what is the draw to pontoons? they're slow... they are like driving a motorhome...you can teach a 5 yr old how to drive it in a day..so lets make them go faster.. put two 350 hp verado's... now she hauls ass...??????ah.... ok...I bought a pontoon with a 300 hp motor...loved the usability... hated try'n to get gas in the wind, that and loading it on the trailer in the wind sucked... so , not for me....

2FORCEFULL
07-23-2017, 06:09 AM
so here's my thought.... make a deck boat that is more like a pontoon....I think the draw to the pontoon is the walk out both ends... the big furniture, instead of the boat type seats...all the lounge areas and shade..kinda like being able to drive around while sitting under an easy up in a easy chair...

2manymustangs
07-23-2017, 06:52 AM
This song came to mind 2FF :D it takes ALL types to make this crazy world go around... ;)

https://youtu.be/V0O0nzkESTI

HB Vic
07-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Nope. Need two boats. Toon and go fast. Mix the two and you have a heap that isn't sure what it is [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
07-23-2017, 03:58 PM
I grew up on a lake (i'm still boat there at my parents house) that has low HP restrictions, hull length restrictions and VERY low speed restrictions...

Its a good lake for wake boarding/tubing and a pontoon float, not good for much more...

Obviously a 42' Outerlimits wouldn't be too good on Pyramid lake or Lake Irvine, in my view it's relative to where you are going to be boating...

My Sanger Hydro isn't a good choice for Lake Of The Ozarks and in peak boating season I don't think that ANY pontoon is a good choice for LOZ BUT in off season it's doable... It's all relative in my simple view...

My Old Town Kayak seems to be my most versatile boat, I've had it in the Atlantic Ocean (shark fishing in the glades), Mississippi River, Ozark rivers, Table Rock Lake, Lake Of The Ozarks, Bull Shoals & other Big lakes & small mud holes... I can seat three IF one is a small child... BUT it's harder than heck to ski or wakeboard behind... ;) EDIT: I can cast a 9' flyrod out of her with ease too....

EDIT: I've said before, I feel cheated for not getting to experience the 60's and boating in CA/AZ/NV (out west)... From Sharpshooters home movie vids and the pics and the stories like 2FF mentions, it sounds like I really missed out... I grew up out on the lake skiing almost daily BUT it wasn't anything like the VDRIVE/go fast boats from the 60/70/80s that you guys grew up with...

https://youtu.be/zOKe4DzgzB4

https://youtu.be/miere_x9uK0

Ziggy
07-26-2017, 10:59 AM
so here's my thought.... make a deck boat that is more like a pontoon....I think the draw to the pontoon is the walk out both ends... the big furniture, instead of the boat type seats...all the lounge areas and shade..kinda like being able to drive around while sitting under an easy up in a easy chair...

All you need to do is buy a Hurricane Fundeck.65429
Pontoon on a fiberglass bottom. :)

2FORCEFULL
07-26-2017, 04:49 PM
All you need to do is buy a Hurricane Fundeck.65429
Pontoon on a fiberglass bottom. :)

how you liking your new deck boat, I never got a chance to check it out..

Ziggy
07-26-2017, 06:25 PM
how you liking your new deck boat, I never got a chance to check it out..Getting much more comfortable with it as seat time increases. Not fast by comparison to other boats yet faster than our old boat and doesn't beat the crap out of us. Took the mufflers off and put turn down tips on instead. Nice muffled exhaust at wakeless speeds where we can talk to each other but the engine can now breath freely under power. Picked up at least 200rpm at top end.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/1c8113475b9f0ac2604020aff1418336.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL
07-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Getting much more comfortable with it as seat time increases. Not fast by comparison to other boats yet faster than our old boat and doesn't beat the crap out of us. Took the mufflers off and put turn down tips on instead. Nice muffled exhaust at wakeless speeds where we can talk to each other but the engine can now breath freely under power. Picked up at least 200rpm at top end.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/1c8113475b9f0ac2604020aff1418336.jpg

got any pics of the whole boat?...I thought it was red?????

2FORCEFULL
07-27-2017, 05:31 AM
got any pics of the whole boat?...I thought it was red?????

also.... look at that little step thane put on the back...it's just about the size of the little plate I put on the back of halletts... it really makes a difference on how she rides

Ziggy
07-27-2017, 09:40 AM
got any pics of the whole boat?...I thought it was red?????It has some red. Maybe that's why you didn't see me and Jan saying hello 30' away from you in the channel a couple weeks ago. [emoji5] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/7fa9b1a04172de32b50df79b3ee7efdc.jpg

2FORCEFULL
07-27-2017, 01:17 PM
It has some red. Maybe that's why you didn't see me and Jan saying hello 30' away from you in the channel a couple weeks ago. [emoji5] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/7fa9b1a04172de32b50df79b3ee7efdc.jpg

I thought it was red and gray...