PDA

View Full Version : Why? - danger boating content

HB Vic
11-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Would you do this? I don't think they inherently porpoise like that do they? Looked scary to me

https://vimeo.com/190393374

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

314joey
11-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Doesn't look like it's "trimmed" properly

spike morelli
11-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I concur with 314joey, it's just not trimmed properly, especially for that new of a hull. With older sixties flatbottoms, quite a few of the hull builders molds were designed with some "rocker" to the bottom, ( like my Stevens' hulls ), I'm guessing to soften the ride at lower speeds, I really don't know exactly, I'm sure someone with the firsthand knowledge like Harlan Orrin could tell us. I DO know that on lots of early drag boat videos porpoiseing is fairly predominant, maybe even "inherent", as you put it. There's a lot involved in bottom design, shaft angle, plate design and position, engine placement, that I'm sure comes into play,...but in the case of the boat in this video my guess is that it's just trimmed too loose.

HB Vic
11-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Maybe he was getting seat time? Idk but there were a couple of times if I were a passenger I'd have soiled myself [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordy
11-07-2016, 08:50 AM
First guess would be operator input error, like noted above. Second would be a setup issue where the boat is fighting itself as it did seem to get worse as the clip ran.