PDA

View Full Version : Grass in the Parker Keys question......

riverrunner1984
06-27-2016, 08:03 AM
So last weekend I was driving my boat through the keys in Parker and noticed a lot of grass.
Fast forward when I left the keys, Grass was stuck in my jet and I had to dive down and get it all out.

My question is, is there grass year around in there or does it only grow when the water starts to warm up and then dies off?
I am going to be renting a house at the end of Aug and will avoid the keys if the grass is there that time of year.
I do not want to be diving down to take grass out of the jet every time I take the boat out.

Any info would be great.

HB Vic
06-27-2016, 08:17 AM
It's only there for a few months if I remember correctly. Pain in the jet [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverrunner1984
06-27-2016, 08:36 AM
It's only there for a few months if I remember correctly. Pain in the jet [emoji16]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, we went through in the beginning of May and it was fine.
This last time just sucked. Same thing with buck skin....so much damn grass....

spike morelli
06-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Back in the sixties/seventies, when my family regularly water skied on the river at Parker, we would get up early at the first light to get the "glass" water conditions. At that time of day (morning) the river's water level is low. I remember that if you fell, or "deepwatered" in the morning you could often feel the "ski-weed", as we called it, around your feet in many areas of the river. It was not uncommon. We waterskied with a v-driven drag hydro, steel two-blade, with a "baloney-slicer" outboard rudder. At skiing speed, as you drove through a weed patch, we used to call it "tossing the salad", as you could visibly see the occasional tossing of greenery from the rear of the boat as you cut through it. Being a v-drive, it wasn't a nusance to us, as I know it definitely can be for a jet. Come noon, the water was back up to regular level and nobody had any issues. The Moovalya Keys were fairly new, and I remember the kinda stagnant waterways being subject to weeds more than open water. AH...the good old days. The city used to dredge the river every so often to clear weeds and sand bars, and once a year they would drop the water REAL low to just a trickle so property owners could do dock, launch ramp, and wall repairs. I used to hear stories of "islands" that appeared and that some places you could almost walk across the river. I wish someone had photos of the low water periods.