PDA

View Full Version : CA DMV weight fee???? WTF!!!!!

riverrunner1984
06-22-2016, 07:11 AM
So I got my registration renewal notice in the mail for my new truck and it is close to $500 for a 2008

What caught my attention is a $200 and some change weight fee.

WTF is this???? I didnt see it on my last truck. Is this normal on a 2500 4x4?
Seems like $500 is a bit steep for a truck that cost just under $25k.

2manymustangs
06-22-2016, 07:46 AM
ahahahah, when I first read your new thread title I read "CA DMV "WAIT FREE""... I knew that couldn't be right... I had better clean my glasses... :cool

rioracr
06-22-2016, 08:17 AM
that is how Moonbeam and his Dem buddies figured out how to get extra tax money without hoopla, raise the regis. of cars and trucks, he has to pay for that bullet train someway............

riverrunner1984
06-22-2016, 10:21 AM
that is how Moonbeam and his Dem buddies figured out how to get extra tax money without hoopla, raise the regis. of cars and trucks, he has to pay for that bullet train someway............

Yah but a damn weight fee that costs as much as the registration is effing ridiculous!!!

riverrunner1984
06-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Guess it's legit just looked up an old registration from my moms truck and she got charged also fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimpala
06-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Question from Texas....

You pay ~$500 a year in registration? What does a vehicle inspection cost? Are there any other fees associated with owning/driving a car in Cali?

HB Vic
06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Just another reason to gtfo. I could/would change mine to Az, but more than likely the revenue enforcers (CHP) would give me a ticket, and the revenue collector (the judge) would force me to pay. Without getting political, Ca. has to come up with creative ways to cover their distribution of costs. They finally realized their losing their ass on zero emission vehicles, not to mention the massive money pit mass transfer garbage. Someone has to pay for that. Who else but those of us who can afford it.

Imagine if we all never used gas, electricity, or owned property. They'd have to tax us on our body weight LOL

riverrunner1984
06-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Question from Texas....

You pay ~$500 a year in registration? What does a vehicle inspection cost? Are there any other fees associated with owning/driving a car in Cali?

wonderful smog check every 2 years costs about $50.
If you dont pass smog, you dont get to register your vehicle.

riverrunner1984
06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Just another reason to gtfo. I could/would change mine to Az, but more than likely the revenue enforcers (CHP) would give me a ticket, and the revenue collector (the judge) would force me to pay. Without getting political, Ca. has to come up with creative ways to cover their distribution of costs. They finally realized their losing their ass on zero emission vehicles, not to mention the massive money pit mass transfer garbage. Someone has to pay for that. Who else but those of us who can afford it.

Imagine if we all never used gas, electricity, or owned property. They'd have to tax us on our body weight LOL

lol.
Are you boats registered in AZ?

Did you hear about the idea of them taxing us on the distance we drive to work to make up the revenue from the 0 emissions vehicles.
I would be screwed at 100+ miles per day.

HB Vic
06-22-2016, 11:31 AM
lol.
Are you boats registered in AZ?

Did you hear about the idea of them taxing us on the distance we drive to work to make up the revenue from the 0 emissions vehicles.
I would be screwed at 100+ miles per day.

Az yes. Let them try to tax me on how far I drive. Fuckers.

314joey
06-22-2016, 03:47 PM
These states with all the "freebies" have to pay for this stuff somehow, just a small bit of wealth distribution.

2manymustangs
06-23-2016, 09:20 AM
These states with all the "freebies" have to pay for this stuff somehow, just a small bit of wealth distribution.

Isn't it amusing to see the state of affairs in Illinois??? Amazing how EFFFFFFFFFFFFed up that blue state is...

Grimpala
06-23-2016, 10:33 AM
wonderful smog check every 2 years costs about $50.
If you dont pass smog, you dont get to register your vehicle.

We too have emissions testing yearly in large counties such as Tarrant(Ft Worth), and Dallas, and all counties that touch those. I'm in one of the emissions counties and a yearly safety/emissions inspection is $39.

We pay ~$65 a year for a personal auto, doesn't matter if it's a Geo Metro, or a King Ranch F350.

Funny thing is, this past year they did away with having an actual inspection sticker on the windshield and just tied it in with your registration. You can't register without a valid inspection. This saves the state the money of the inspection stickers and booklets, but none of that cost is passed on to the taxpayers.

Still not sure why we have a safety inspection with all the crap I see on the roads daily.

riverrunner1984
06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
We too have emissions testing yearly in large counties such as Tarrant(Ft Worth), and Dallas, and all counties that touch those. I'm in one of the emissions counties and a yearly safety/emissions inspection is $39.

We pay ~$65 a year for a personal auto, doesn't matter if it's a Geo Metro, or a King Ranch F350.

Funny thing is, this past year they did away with having an actual inspection sticker on the windshield and just tied it in with your registration. You can't register without a valid inspection. This saves the state the money of the inspection stickers and booklets, but none of that cost is passed on to the taxpayers.

Still not sure why we have a safety inspection with all the crap I see on the roads daily.

One of my good friends moved from Cali to TX and lives in Houston now and tells me what a huge difference it is between the 2 states.
He is loving it and needless to say, I am a bit jealous. I need to get out of CA lol

2manymustangs
06-23-2016, 11:36 AM
https://vimeo.com/28343859

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ziggy
06-23-2016, 11:38 AM
So I got my registration renewal notice in the mail for my new truck and it is close to $500 for a 2008

What caught my attention is a $200 and some change weight fee.

WTF is this???? I didnt see it on my last truck. Is this normal on a 2500 4x4?
Seems like $500 is a bit steep for a truck that cost just under $25k.
It's considered a commercial vehicle. Your plate will only have one letter and the rest numbers. Most every pick up truck is that way.
You can get rid of the weight fee if you have a shell on the truck by taking to DMV and having it verified. It'll get reclassified as a passenger vehicle and get normal looking car plates(1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers). IF you remove the shell then getting caught is possible but not generally what they look for although the chp is more aware of this stuff.
Risk-reward.

riverrunner1984
06-23-2016, 11:48 AM
It's considered a commercial vehicle. Your plate will only have one letter and the rest numbers. Most every pick up truck is that way.
You can get rid of the weight fee if you have a shell on the truck by taking to DMV and having it verified. It'll get reclassified as a passenger vehicle and get normal looking car plates(1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers). IF you remove the shell then getting caught is possible but not generally what they look for although the chp is more aware of this stuff.
Risk-reward.

Now that's an idea!!!! Do you know what the penalty is for getting caught without a shell?

Is it worth risking the ticket?

Ziggy
06-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Now that's an idea!!!! Do you know what the penalty is for getting caught without a shell?

Is it worth risking the ticket?

Not sure, but I'm sure the fine would be absorbed in savings if you get a year or two into it before caught.

I've had my 2000 F350 that way since like 2003/4 or so.......I also have personalized plates so the dead give away to LEO isn't obvious.

Grimpala
06-24-2016, 10:34 AM
One of my good friends moved from Cali to TX and lives in Houston now and tells me what a huge difference it is between the 2 states.
He is loving it and needless to say, I am a bit jealous. I need to get out of CA lol

You couldn't pay me to live in Houston. That's the sweaty armpit of Texas. You sweat just thinking about going outside. Not to mention the traffic and the people.

I live about 15 minutes east of downtown Dallas in a large enough city that we have amenities, but not so big that it looses its quaintness. Plus in 25 min I can be in the country and do pretty much whatever I please.

If I could get Texas politics and economics in Cali I'd be there in a heart beat, the weather would be worth the move.