PDA

View Full Version : Website webhosting change

HB Vic
12-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Its that time of the year again. Hotboat has been hosted by Godaddy for a couple years now. Some of you may remember the issues we had early on when we were hosted by another large company. We even had issues when we were on a shared Godaddy server. For the past two years we've been on a dedicated server with Godaddy, and knock on wood, little to zero issues since then.

Like any other company, Godaddy is raising their rent. Somewhat substantially this year. I've been fortunate in the past to negotiate a pretty fair increase, this year is proving to be a little more difficult. Maybe they checked my history LOL.

The benefits of moving to another less expensive company initially are obvious. Lower rent. But when you look at the other costs, just as in moving your home, cheaper rent isn't always the best route to go. If I move the site, it could be down for days. And honestly I don't think the site could bear another long outage. So in addition to the soft costs of moving, I'm hesitate to go that route.

I do believe in time, and with less distraction on my end, Hotboat.com can do much better than it has. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you slice it, our minimal traffic is a motivating factor for Godaddy to work with me on price. If we were booming, they'd be less open to negotiate.

So for my sake, cross your fingers and lets see what Godaddy can do for us. I'll update this thread as things progress. I am optimistic we won't have to move and we can stay right where we're at.

HB

Eli
12-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Good luck!! Let me know if you need a negotiator. [emoji16]

Sent from my Bat Cave using TapaStalk

Go Brady!! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji176][emoji176]

HB Vic
12-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Good luck!! Let me know if you need a negotiator. [emoji16]

We're very close. GoDaddy must incentivize their sales people properly, they will not take no for an answer. And that no isn't coming from me, its coming from their management. They seem to really pound on them. Great people to work with.

Eli
12-16-2015, 09:52 AM
That's great!! There's no need for them to lose your business.

Offishial Business
12-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Host gator is who we use and it is less than godaddy and much more friendly

i know the pain of moving a site and the loss from being down, thats a tough call to make.

314joey
12-16-2015, 02:48 PM
They host my and Terri's business web-sites and we got jabbed last year when we re-uped, it's almost doubled from when we started with them 5 years ago, next time we may have to change, good luck with opening their eyes.

The Doctor
12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
BlueHost hosts about twenty sites for us. Very affordable and 24/7 customer service. We love them.

https://www.bluehost.com/

HB Vic
12-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Moving sites is a nightmare. We moved once, don't wanna do that again. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy
12-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Go Get 'em Daddy Vic :D

HB Vic
12-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm motivated today. For many reasons [emoji4]

2manymustangs
12-17-2015, 06:06 AM
I'm motivated today. For many reasons [emoji4]

Must have been the doughnuts Vic!!! GO get ya sum more!!!

Allisons @ Orange & Carson just south of Bixby Knolls... I suggest you try the old fashioned buttermilk w/Chocolate icing...

HB Vic
12-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I may try that today. Doughnuts are good for a hangover yes? [emoji30]

Eli
12-17-2015, 09:05 AM

Lol

2manymustangs
12-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Si amigo!!! :)

Seal Beach Doughnuts on PCH next to 7-11 is a great place if your in that hood... The other favorite is Suns @ 15450 Beach Blvd
Westminster, CA 92683

rioracr
12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
good luck dealing and is there anyway you can make it ez'r on some of us that don't like tapatalk that we can post pics from our phone without
being bugged by them, just a small request while you are dealing.....thanks Vic

riverrunner1984
12-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Chili cheese fried and a pastrami from the HAT is the best for a Hang Over!!!

2manymustangs
12-17-2015, 10:52 AM

as a preventative measure OR as a cure?

Pat Eason says "Jack N The Box" tacos at midnight are the hot ticket for prevention... :)

riverrunner1984
12-17-2015, 10:53 AM
as a preventative measure OR as a cure?

Pat Eason says "Jack N The Box" tacos at midnight are the hot ticket for prevention... :)

Oh he yes!! Jacks tacos and chicken sandwich is a go to for me at midnight lol

HB Vic
12-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Oh man that sounds good [emoji39]

Ziggy
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I thought Vic made a move, my normal shortcut to here went to "page not available" but I was able to walk right in the front door.....IDK:headscratch:

HB Vic
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
We're not moving. My superior negotiating skills paid off once again [emoji12]

2manymustangs
12-17-2015, 12:52 PM

:partytime:

I thought Vic made a move, my normal shortcut to here went to "page not available" but I was able to walk right in the front door.....IDK:headscratch:

You were temporarily banned due to bad behavior... :AngryFinger_7WSKJO:

Eli
12-20-2015, 12:44 PM

Nice

HB Vic
12-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Sealed the deal this morning. It is possible for the site to act a little weird for the next few days while it is being cloned on the new server. The move will probably happen before next week. Hoping to point to the new server at 2am or so to minimize any impact. The move should not be noticeable to anyone hopefully.

After the move we're good for another year barring anything unforeseen.

Big thank you to GoDaddy for making it happen!!

2manymustangs
12-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Sealed the deal this morning. It is possible for the site to act a little weird for the next few days while it is being cloned on the new server. The move will probably happen before next week. Hoping to point to the new server at 2am or so to minimize any impact. The move should not be noticeable to anyone hopefully.

After the move we're good for another year barring anything unforeseen.

Big thank you to GoDaddy for making it happen!!

:thumb:

2AM is when you are usually most active, with your drunken FIREBALL posts... :drinkin:

Should be a good LOAD test for ya

314joey
12-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Glad it worked out...................we doesn't hate moving....................anything and everything.......Go Hotboat !

HB Vic
12-23-2015, 02:02 PM
:thumb:

2AM is when you are usually most active, with your drunken FIREBALL posts... :drinkin:

Should be a good LOAD test for ya

Hahaha not me, I hate that stuff