PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Dodge Cummins Expert???

riverrunner1984
12-02-2015, 03:26 PM
So I am going to be coming up on some money here in the next couple weeks and am going to buy a new to me tow vehicle.
I have heard great things about the Dodge Cummins.

My question is:

Should I go with the 5.9 or the 6.7 diesel?

I need the truck to be able to tow a 28ft boat and a 30ft trailer/5th wheel.
Truck will be 4x4 and long bed.

Thinking the newer body style 06' or newer.
Budget is $17.5k- roughly $23k

Any info would be great as this will be my first diesel 4x4.

HB Vic
12-02-2015, 04:13 PM
For the 6.7, I think 2010-11 was the last year without urea.
We bought 3 of them brand new, not one single issue with any of them. And they all have around 200K now.
Best diesel engine ever.

riverrunner1984
12-02-2015, 04:52 PM
For the 6.7, I think 2010-11 was the last year without urea.
We bought 3 of them brand new, not one single issue with any of them. And they all have around 200K now.
Best diesel engine ever.

I'm not too knowledgeable with vehicles....what is urea???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Vic
12-02-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm not too knowledgeable with vehicles....what is urea???

Urine LOL
The newer diesels use a urea additive to get the emissions down. They require it usually when you fill up your tank, you fill up your urea tank.

But like I said, the older ones don't use it.

riverrunner1984
12-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Urine LOL
The newer diesels use a urea additive to get the emissions down. They require it usually when you fill up your tank, you fill up your urea tank.

But like I said, the older ones don't use it.

Got it. Just googled it and it looks like I need to purchase a model prior to 2010.

JohnnyRotten
12-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Look up "dodge" in the dictionary....."too avoid." :speechless-smiley-0

I had an '06 3500 4x4 dually w/Cummins, just shy of 20 mpg running empty and ~15 working, plenty of power. Good truck.

Now I have a '14 3500 4x4 C&C w/Cummins HO and Aisin transmission. It has 9 sensors on the exhaust and another (urea) system to deal with. Won't get over 14 running empty and ~ 8 working, I don't drive it hard.

All power is governed electronically so it feels nuetered compared to the '06 even tho there is much more there. Don't really like it that much and am considering a blue oval gasser next.

Way too many system and electrical gremlins showing up with < 20K. Dealerships can't fix anything if the truck doesn't tell them anything, they are not mechanics anymore.... parts installers and computer readers.

Cummins is a great engine....too bad they put it in a Dodge.

Hope this helps.

riverrunner1984
12-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Look up "dodge" in the dictionary....."too avoid." :speechless-smiley-0

I had an '06 3500 4x4 dually w/Cummins, just shy of 20 mpg running empty and ~15 working, plenty of power. Good truck.

Now I have a '14 3500 4x4 C&C w/Cummins HO and Aisin transmission. It has 9 sensors on the exhaust and another (urea) system to deal with. Won't get over 14 running empty and ~ 8 working, I don't drive it hard.

All power is governed electronically so it feels nuetered compared to the '06 even tho there is much more there. Don't really like it that much and am considering a blue oval gasser next.

Way too many system and electrical gremlins showing up with < 20K. Dealerships can't fix anything if the truck doesn't tell them anything, they are not mechanics anymore.... parts installers and computer readers.

Cummins is a great engine....too bad they put it in a Dodge.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!
So it sounds like I need to get an older model.
With my budget, it looks like the truck will have around 150k miles on it.
Is that too high for a diesel? I know with gas, I try and avoid anything over 100k miles....

This is one I am looking at.

http://www.ocautos.net/web/used/Dodge-RAM-3500-SRW-CUMMINS-DIESEL-2008-Santa-Ana-California/26051990/

JohnnyRotten
12-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info!
So it sounds like I need to get an older model.
With my budget, it looks like the truck will have around 150k miles on it.
Is that too high for a diesel? I know with gas, I try and avoid anything over 100k miles....

This is one I am looking at.

http://www.ocautos.net/web/used/Dodge-RAM-3500-SRW-CUMMINS-DIESEL-2008-Santa-Ana-California/26051990/

Where's the rusty rockers? LOL

I'm no expert....just owned a couple and did stay at a Holiday Inn.

Looks nice, Cummins is just broke in at 150K if maintained properly IMO. Maybe see if there are service records.

I traded my '06 in at about those miles.....new owner did have to do some injector pump work within 12 months that I was unaware of being an issue.

There was also a problem with rust eating out the oil pans (go figure) mine started leaking in the middle of a blizzard at 2AM. Pricey to replace.

Not sure if they fixed that problem or not, look for blisters (from rock chips) in the clear coat on oil pan with crusty bubbles underneath.

Short of brakes, bearing, exhaust and stuff like that you should be good, I never had or heard of any major issues with tranny or T-case.

Good luck

HB Vic
12-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Looks like a nice truck to me. Check the records, car fax, and maybe take it to a mechanic for his blessing. Then drive the snot out of it [emoji36]

jordy
12-05-2015, 12:13 PM
As noted a few times above, older is better for all of the reasons listed. DEF is a pain in the ass, along with the 20,000 different functions that are now monitored via computer. The emissions regs have choked the diesels way down from their potential. Don't get me wrong, the new trucks are nice, but I find it odd that in the name of cleaner air, which is bullshit by the way with diesels, that they put a huge dent in efficiency, and it's all the manufacturers that are suffering in pickups and the larger engine market. If I was looking at a Dodge I'd find an older 5.9 24 valve and run the shit out of it. The automatic transmissions (48RE) will hold up fine until you really start twisting them with programmers and such.

riverrunner1984
12-05-2015, 01:10 PM
As noted a few times above, older is better for all of the reasons listed. DEF is a pain in the ass, along with the 20,000 different functions that are now monitored via computer. The emissions regs have choked the diesels way down from their potential. Don't get me wrong, the new trucks are nice, but I find it odd that in the name of cleaner air, which is bullshit by the way with diesels, that they put a huge dent in efficiency, and it's all the manufacturers that are suffering in pickups and the larger engine market. If I was looking at a Dodge I'd find an older 5.9 24 valve and run the shit out of it. The automatic transmissions (48RE) will hold up fine until you really start twisting them with programmers and such.

So the 5.9 is the engine without all the regs and better fuel economy and the 6.7 is the newer one?

I should also note that this won't be my daily driver as I have a beater car for that. This will be used mostly for pulling the boat trailer and hauling. I'm estimating less than 10k miles per year.

JohnnyRotten
12-05-2015, 03:04 PM
So the 5.9 is the engine without all the regs and better fuel economy and the 6.7 is the newer one?

Yes, and it actually sounds like a diesel instead of an old washing machine.

jordy
12-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Yes. At least in my opinion. The 6.7 was a response to increased regulations and the choking of the 5.9 by the emissions posse, or so I've been told. Ford did the same thing with the increased displacement to offset the loss of power. Think of all the regs as restrictor plate races in Neckcar to put it in simple terms.