PDA

View Full Version : New boat

Rock_Bottom
07-23-2015, 09:32 PM
I've been Mia for a while now! Just been busy I guess, hope everyone's doing well! Picked up a little project last week. Got her cleaned up and now just waiting on distributor parts. Should be running next week. 1971 kona 18' with 135 merc. My first out board, man these motors are weird, thank god for google and YouTube [emoji23] ha 562685625956260562615626256263

Also changed water pump and gear oil 56264562655626656267

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Vic
07-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Sweet[emoji106]🏼

Looks pretty cool. What are the details??

Rock_Bottom
07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Sweet[emoji106]🏼

Looks pretty cool. What are the details??

What details you want?

HB Vic
07-24-2015, 08:09 AM
What details you want?

First trip details [emoji4]

When she getting wet

Rock_Bottom
07-24-2015, 08:18 AM
First trip details [emoji4]

When she getting wet

Oh gotcha lol well just waiting on distributor parts, might be in today if not Monday! Then see if she fires up. Then gotta take her to get timed and 'link and sync' or so they call it online ha these out boards are tricky compared to my bbc ha and I'm booked every weekend till about the middle of August so prob no lake test till then !

I'm loosing the 'cool' factor compared to my last boat but I think I'll have more fun in this one.. Lots more room, seats 6 comfy, compared to 4 in my blue boat.

riverrunner1984
07-24-2015, 08:29 AM
The outboards are def growing on me. Dig the black and yellow also.

Rock_Bottom
07-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Dang almost had it back together lol everything was going good with the dizzy rebuild then messed up the new upper bearing, old one is toast also so can't use that. Anyone know some where in SoCal that carries bearings like these in stock? They're pretty basic. Like 10 bucks off eBay but I wanna try an get it fixed tomorrow .. 5628456285

HB Vic
07-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Dude you're hard core

rioracr
07-25-2015, 08:26 AM
King Bearing in Gardena might have it but don't no if they are open today, the place is on 190th by the old Ascot.....

Rock_Bottom
07-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Dude you're hard core

Haha ya dude gotta get this thing going! If you want something done right do it your self [emoji1]

Rock_Bottom
07-25-2015, 08:32 AM
King Bearing in Gardena might have it but don't no if they are open today, the place is on 190th by the old Ascot.....

Thanks!

Rock_Bottom
07-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Ok we're good .. Napa was able to order, should be in by 12 [emoji28]

2manymustangs
07-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Niceeeeeeeeeeeee, I likey!!!

The ole Tower Of Power Merc... TOm Brown's favorite engine... Any luck on a bearing source???

I'm surprised that it isn't a MAGneto... I was working on the 4 cyl version of that thing just one month ago (1967 model/year) when we sold a small fishing boat...

I Like that hull...

Rock_Bottom
07-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Ok got her all back together .. Running to gas station you fill gas can.. Wish me luck!! [emoji16]5630256303

Rock_Bottom
07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Dammit almost had it fixed lol wires are all good but carbs are all plugged up from sitting. Starts with starting fluid then shuts off. So we gotta do carbs now ha Break Out Another Thousand

HB Vic
07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Waited for you all day until now lol

Rock_Bottom
07-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Hahaha

2manymustangs
07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Dammit almost had it fixed lol wires are all good but carbs are all plugged up from sitting. Starts with starting fluid then shuts off. So we gotta do carbs now ha Break Out Another Thousand

U can do it... there should be some YOUTUBE videos on those carbs with step by steps... main jet plugged, get some nice stiff copper wire strands and a can or two of carb cleaner... :) I like to split down some heavy gauge stranded hook up wire and use the individual copper strands to push the goo out of the jets, then flush with carb cleaner...

ALSO, check the CHECK BALL assy where the gas line hooks to the engine, the funky T handle dealio, mine was full of CRUD also...

Rock_Bottom
07-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Yep I YouTube last night! Lol I'll be doing them later today [emoji106]🏼

2manymustangs
07-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Yep I YouTube last night! Lol I'll be doing them later today [emoji106]��

The amount of GOOOOOOOOOOO from the gasoline in this fishing boat/4 cyl merc was AMAZING to me... it took HOURS to get it all cleared away...

IF the carbs are gooey, please do yourself a favor and ensure that the tank/line/pump (if you have an electric pump)/check ball-quick connect all are fresh/clean and get a few external gas filters to put inline so you can run a good inline filter for a while/change a few times... the filter would be cheap insureance that you dont get more goo into your clean carbs...

Rock_Bottom
07-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Sounds good! I put it off till next week so I'll update then !

Rock_Bottom
08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Boats alive! Can't figure out how to time this thing lol anyone know in SoCal that can give me a hand with this? Or know a shop that can time before next weekend.. Trying to go out next weekend ! https://vimeo.com/137712254

Thanks in advance !

HB Vic
08-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Whats it doing??

There's an outboard place on Holt in Pomona I think. Good friend recommended them. I've used them before with great results. I'll try to remember the name.

Rock_Bottom
08-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Nothing it's sounds good. But I know running with the timing off can ruin a motor. Ya b&j marine, there super cool been getting all my parts threw them.

Rock_Bottom
08-29-2015, 06:39 PM
But they said a month till they can do it lol

HB Vic
08-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Run it!!

2manymustangs
08-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Nothing it's sounds good. But I know running with the timing off can ruin a motor. Ya b&j marine, there super cool been getting all my parts threw them.

Call Ron Hill or his son, at Signature props (around Orange), they can prolly send you to one of the COR guys that is close to you or walk you through it... They drink 2 cycle oil for breakfast instead of coffee :D If you can talk to Ron, tell him that Bruce/2mm sent you, they should be able to talk you through it over the phone... Did you mark the dizz and parts before you took it apart to get it back CLOSE to the original position, if yes, you are prolly fine to run it until you can get it timed accurately, just not WOT... Run it and look at the plugs, a hard pull and then looking at a plug should tell you if your about to melt down OR NOT... ;) Not very scientific but its a starting point...

Do you have a timing light??? This should get you real close... :)

https://youtu.be/ZiXJa3Q6X60

https://youtu.be/M4v_Pvr65d4?list=PL33FNrAPSChtcs_6reFoMEZmIG-lVg29N

Rock_Bottom
08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Ok got it lol I was using the wrong marking on flywheel . Yes I have a timing light. 0 @idle and it was at about 25 full advance, nocked it down to about 19-20 full advance as per directed by b & j.. Heading to pudding stone now for maiden voyage wish me luck! 57073

I was using the marking to the left of my white paint mark lol that's why the timing made no sense yesterday lol 57074

Rock_Bottom
08-30-2015, 03:02 PM
I hate boats lol won't rev up in water with a load on it. Only goes to bout 1200 rpm 57075

Busti
08-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Oh chit!

2manymustangs
08-30-2015, 06:41 PM
I hate boats lol won't rev up in water with a load on it. Only goes to bout 1200 rpm 57075

your timing marks / graduations are stationary... trippy, that makes my head hurt when thinking of static timing procedure...

2manymustangs
08-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Timing and Sync of Merc Inlines (to 1988)
July 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks to clamscanino for this info.
Manual specs are different for each but this is close enough to get them all REAL close. This assumes nothing is broken or "wrong" with it. This also assumes that the timing pointer is properly adjusted (if adjustable) to accurately read TDC of the #1 piston.

This basic procedure will work for all the 2/3/4/6 cylinder inlines from 1960 to 1988. It's not for the newer 3 and 4 cylinder loopers.

Engine off

Disconnect throttle cable

Pull throttle arm to full throttle and verify carbs open fully. Adjust main throttle stop so that the carbs are JUST hitting thier own little throttle stops. The idea here is that you want the screw stop and NOT the carbs acting as the "final stop" for your throttle lever.

Return the throttle to idle, carbs should be closed. Set all idle screws to 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.

Remove all plugs except #1, hook a timing light to #1. Then follow the narritive.

When the throttle is in the idle position the carbs should be fully closed and the ignition retarded. It is the amount of retardation that determines your idle speed and is set later with the idle stop screw.

Timing Event One - throttle pickup.
As the throttle is advanced, the spark timing advances toward TDC and then to before TDC. As the timing is just passing TDC the 1st (minor)throttle pickup should hit and start to open the carbs. Use the timing light. Adjust the tang or trigger screw to make this a reality. All of them are speced different, but if the 1st pickup hits at 3-4 degrees BTDC advance - you win. Use the timing light with a friend cranking it to complete this setting.

Timing Event Two - max advance.
As you continue to advance the throttle the timing will advance while the carbs slowly open a bit more. The next adjustment is max advance, this is the point where the distibutor (or trigger) can advance no more. Set the max-advance stop to 21 degrees for "direct charge" crossflow inlines and 34 degrees for the older plain vanilla crossflows. Use the light, - err to the side of caution.

Right after max advance, further throttle motion should cause the second throttle pickup to hit and open the carbs to full. You already set that -now verify it.

Leave the throttle cable disconnected and go to the water. Leave the boat strapped to the trailer and back it in so it's deep enought to run. Have a friend crank it while you operate the choke and throttle. Warm it up at 1500 rpms's.

When "warm" adjust the idle stop screw for about 800 rpm and then ajust your idle needle(s) in (one at a time) till the motor stumbles. Quickly backing it out 1/2 turn from "stumble" will usually save it from needing a re-start. Do that for all the idle screws. Re-set idle stop for 800.

Now have your friend put it in gear (make SURE you are on the transom NOT in the water) and reset your idle stop for as low as you can get it. 500-600rpm is great if your old reeds will let it idle that low in gear. Now, re-adjust the idle screws, in to stumble, then 1/2 turn out. When you've gone back and forth with that a few times and have it "perfect" - adjust each one out 1/4 turn.

Reset the idle stop so that it's about 700-800 out of gear and 500-600 in gear. Sometimes bad reeds won't let you get that low, you've GOT to get it under 1000 in neutral (worst case) to avoid beating up your lower unit when you shift into gear, even 1000 is "bad" but like I said "worst case".

Now adjust (and hook up)the throttle cable so that with the shifter in neutral, there is light to moderate pressure holding the throttle arm against the idle stop.

Take the boat off the trailer and go out in the water. Try the hole shot. If it falls on it's face try adjusting the idle screws out 1/4 turn at a time (all of them together) till you can get a hole shot. You can kind of do this on the trailer at the ramp, but it's not really safe for you, the boat, or the tow vehicle.

You're done.

-W

LINK TO INFO ABOVE (http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/173257-timing-and-sync-of-merc-inlines-to-1988?t=168855)

Rock_Bottom
08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Dropped the boat off at daves marine in chino. Went by after work and he thinks it's gonna be the coil wire to the distributor. He showed me and it looked in pretty bad shape, He also tore all the carbs back off. And reset the timing . And is gonna sync it. Not looking forward to this bill he's gonna hit me with @95/hr $ [emoji24] probably gonna be more than i bought the whole dang boat for!

Eli
08-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Dropped the boat off at daves marine in chino. Went by after work and he thinks it's gonna be the coil wire to the distributor. He showed me and it looked in pretty bad shape, He also tore all the carbs back off. And reset the timing . And is gonna sync it. Not looking forward to this bill he's gonna hit me with @95/hr $ [emoji24] probably gonna be more than i bought the whole dang boat for!

Ouch! Sorry! Bummer!

Sent from my newly renovated Batcave using TapaSTALK

Happiness is worth the fight!