PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a Typhoon and Hurricane

Stainless
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
The International Date Line. I should have paid more attention in High school.:p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stainless
11-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Cat 5 typhoon hitting the Philippines now. :(

CH3NO2

gn7
11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
pacific/atlantic, but north pacific storms can be called hurricanes.
typhoons are a south pacific phemon.

So what's the difference between a Typhoon and Syclone

Wendi
11-07-2013, 07:54 PM
pacific/atlantic, but north pacific storms can be called hurricanes.
typhoons are a south pacific phemon.

So what's the difference between a Typhoon and Syclone

Syclones are down under and very wet

gn7
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
That sounds like something Party Eli would post. You need to clean up your posts Wendi. You're beginning to get a reputation on the boards.

Wendi
11-07-2013, 07:58 PM
That sounds like something Party Eli would post. You need to clean up your posts Wendi. You're beginning to get a reputation on the boards.

How's this they are mainly in Australia and bring on tons of rain!!

Stainless
11-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Hmm, what can we do with this post, lol

CH3NO2

gn7
11-07-2013, 08:04 PM
How's this they are mainly in Australia and bring on tons of rain!!

Silly girl.
One is a GMC truck, and one is a GMC SUV. Everybody knows that.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/typhoon1_opt.jpg
http://worldcarslist.com/images/gmc/gmc-syclone-typhoon/gmc-syclone-typhoon-02.jpg

Typhoons are what cylones want to be when they grow up. Yes, mainly in the very south pacific, and they tend to be very wet. Slow turning, slow moving tropical storms that can turn into typhoons if they pick up enough energy.

Eli
11-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Those are not Cyclones ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
11-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Party Girl Wendi is in da house

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Ziggy
11-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I just felt a gust of wind blow through here.............
If I'm not mistaken, typhoons also rotate the opposite of hurricanes.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

HB Vic
11-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I just felt a gust of wind blow through here.............
If I'm not mistaken, typhoons also rotate the opposite of hurricanes.

Bingo, rotation is opposite 👍

28eliminator
11-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Bingo, rotation is opposite 👍

Really? Lol, Learn something every day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

McRib
11-07-2013, 09:32 PM
There is no difference in them just called something else according to area they happen. The upper and lower hemisphere dictates their direction of spin and thats it. Same phenomenon.

gn7
11-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Really? Lol, Learn something every day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Yep, rotational storms turn the opposite direction south of the equator.
Water rotation of water going down a sink drain or toilet is opposite in Australia than here.

Don't ask me how those Aussies keep from falling off the earth being uspside though. I haven't figured that one out yet.

McRib
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Its the same with drains and toilets. The upper and lower hemisphere effects the direction of a flush or drain. Counter clockwise in the upper and clock wise in the lower. Hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclons are the same.

gn7
11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Its the same with drains and toilets. The upper and lower hemisphere effects the direction of a flush or drain. Counter clockwise in the upper and clock wise in the lower. Hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclons are the same.

But the cars and boats in Australia still race in left hand circles. Go figure.

McRib
11-07-2013, 09:41 PM
But the cars and boats in Australia still race in left hand circles. Go figure.

That's cause they are right hand drive. Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Napanutt
11-07-2013, 09:47 PM

I've always known this to be true. But if you live on the equator. What the fuck happens then?

McRib
11-07-2013, 09:59 PM
U know..... thinking about this a lil deeper a toilet would flush in the direction the bowl jets are facing. The bowl jets initiate the swirl so with that said a toilet flush can be manipulated. A test would have to be done on a tub of standing water where u pull a plug and let whatever happens happen. As far at cyclons typhoons and hurricanes. .... the upper and lower hemispheres dictate spin. Thats a scientific fact.

Ziggy
11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I think its called the Coriolis Effect. Testing old HS knowledge.:p

Napanutt
11-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I think its called the Coriolis Effect. Testing old HS knowledge.:p

I had to google it. Read a paragraph or two and my head started spinning, pun intended. :D

Eli
11-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Man there was an entire conversation about spinners and I missed it!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

boatsntoys
11-08-2013, 08:15 AM
There is no difference. It's just terminology. Direction of spin is opposit in the aouthern and northern hemisphere The current "Typhoon" is hitting the Phillipines and viet nam. Both if which are in the norther hemisphere thus typhoon is rotating the same as the ones that hit the states.

A question I have is, what happens with a hurricane at the fine line between the southern and norther hemispheres ? Do they cross over ? Change direction ? Just die out ?

Ziggy
11-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Man there was an entire conversation about spinners and I missed it!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

You short girls have all the fun;):D

Ziggy
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
There is no difference. It's just terminology. Direction of spin is opposit in the aouthern and northern hemisphere The current "Typhoon" is hitting the Phillipines and viet nam. Both if which are in the norther hemisphere thus typhoon is rotating the same as the ones that hit the states.

A question I have is, what happens with a hurricane at the fine line between the southern and norther hemispheres ? Do they cross over ? Change direction ? Just die out ?

I would say nothing happens different. Such as typhoons that start in the south pacific and run north into Japan. Never have heard of a hurricane that hit Japan, its always a typhoon. That's sorta why the dateline plays into it the dividing line as well.
Not much different than a hurricane that developes near Africa and heads north towards the States.