PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this yet?

MrDenton
06-10-2015, 12:44 AM
http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/35007255?mobile_direct=y

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”

riverrunner1984
06-10-2015, 06:44 AM
WOW, thats crazy...Glad they are OK but sucks about the boat....

Undersoul02
06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
That's amazing! That could have turned out to be a lot worse then it was. There have been some other videos in the past few years of flash floods at Powell. Just amazing!

Here's one
https://youtu.be/wCffOoPuLAo

Another
https://youtu.be/QInKebnh7vA

HB Vic
06-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Thats one of those been there almost done that for me. Scary shit for sure.

riverrunner1984
06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
That's amazing! That could have turned out to be a lot worse then it was. There have been some other videos in the past few years of flash floods at Powell. Just amazing!

That would be really cool to see in person, from a safe distance of course....

Undersoul02
06-10-2015, 10:10 AM

It would be pretty amazing.

MrDenton
06-10-2015, 10:29 AM
That 2nd one "are they safe over there?" Explains where those sandy beaches came from. Note to self, stay off the sandy beaches when visiting Lake Powell

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”

RADRVR
06-10-2015, 12:43 PM

x2....

314joey
06-10-2015, 01:23 PM
That first one looks like Niagra Falls, wow, I always say, don't fool with Mother Nature.

Undersoul02
06-10-2015, 01:28 PM
That first one looks like Niagra Falls, wow, I always say, don't fool with Mother Nature.

She is beautiful, but she can be a real bitch sometimes!

HB Vic
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
We were in a secluded cover with towering walls one year. Sky was clear, weather was awesome. Then came the wind and sand blowing down from the top. Then rain. Then the waterfall. Fortunately the houseboat was about 100' from the cliff wall, otherwise it could have been worse.

2manymustangs
06-11-2015, 06:14 AM
That 2nd one "are they safe over there?" Explains where those sandy beaches came from. Note to self, stay off the sandy beaches when visiting Lake Powell

You do know that they took 50MILLION years to evolve right??? ;) <<< sarcasm implied...

She is beautiful, but she can be a real bitch sometimes!

Lets us know WHO is really in charge... We are like microbes in this universe, really... :) Like gnats on a elephants azzz...

MrDenton
06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
In 95' we went on a houseboat trip to Powell. Big mistake! Choosing your crew is as important as choosing your beach. 3 out of 12 knew about boating and seamanship. The rest were useless complainers. Well, 5 days in the bitching about not having a sandy beach had hit its peak. The useless 9 had found their sandy beach. A full day waisted moving everything and they were happy. The 3 of us were exhausted and turned in early. That night a wind came ripping through that canyon like you wouldn't believe. Mooring lines broke, spikes bent, it was insane! Most of us had been sleeping up topside to enjoy the stars. 4 of the useless 9 stayed up topside to watch us 3 work to save everything. Next thing I see is 4 bodies flying through the air. A gust of wind picked them up in their sleeping bags and carried them 30' before hitting the water.
It was a long night, very little equipment damage and a lot of bruised egos.
That vacation ended 1 marriage and 5 friendships.

HB Vic
06-11-2015, 12:09 PM
In 95' we went on a houseboat trip to Powell. Big mistake! Choosing your crew is as important as choosing your beach. 3 out of 12 knew about boating and seamanship. The rest were useless complainers. Well, 5 days in the bitching about not having a sandy beach had hit its peak. The useless 9 had found their sandy beach. A full day waisted moving everything and they were happy. The 3 of us were exhausted and turned in early. That night a wind came ripping through that canyon like you wouldn't believe. Mooring lines broke, spikes bent, it was insane! Most of us had been sleeping up topside to enjoy the stars. 4 of the useless 9 stayed up topside to watch us 3 work to save everything. Next thing I see is 4 bodies flying through the air. A gust of wind picked them up in their sleeping bags and carried them 30' before hitting the water.
It was a long night, very little equipment damage and a lot of bruised egos.
That vacation need 1 marriage and 5 friendships.

Wow sounds like a nightmare for sure.

Totally agree on a crew. Really makes it hard on those who know what to do, the others are just on vacation and want mimosas in bed LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrDenton
06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
That last sentence is the truth!
I've been on 3 houseboat trips since. Hand picked crew, pre planned everything from who's cooking on what night to where we beach at. Been great trips.

Ziggy
06-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Having newbs on a weekend is bad enough, I could not imagine dealing with whiners for a week or more. I'd have flipped out at the primadonnas. Our invite list got a lot smaller once we decided to stop including the self absorbed.