PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Noise!!! (Caution boating related content)

riverrunner1984
06-02-2015, 05:53 PM
After almost 2 years!

https://vimeo.com/129617150

Question:
Remember I'm no mechanic....
So before I had it out last time I had an oils change and tune up. I only ran it one weekend and it went to storage.

Should I do another oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs.K034
06-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Nice!!! Yes, change the oil! You're lucky there was not gas in it when you tried to start it after two years, otherwise you'd also be working on the carb. Glad to see it running!! Maybe you'll be able to live up to your name this summer and do some river running? [emoji6] awesome sauce! Lol.

RADRVR
06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
That's awesome! Great sound isn't it?!?! We need a HB river trip/regatta.

riverrunner1984
06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Nice!!! Yes, change the oil! You're lucky there was not gas in it when you tried to start it after two years, otherwise you'd also be working on the carb. Glad to see it running!! Maybe you'll be able to live up to your name this summer and do some river running? [emoji6] awesome sauce! Lol.

So oil and filters...anything else I should check on before taking it out?

Thank god about the carb. I just had the quadrajet rebuilt before the last trip would have hated to have to do it again lol

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 05:00 AM

I was thinking the same thing CandACE, when I heard "two years"... IF it has the typical quadrajet filter on the carb, you may want to have a pocket full of those on hand when you head to the river Brian...

I just sold one of my dads little fishing boats and couldn't believe my eyes what came out of the gas lines when I started flushing/cleaning the fuel system... Fortunately the tank was bone dry when it went into storage... The buyer is in the process of putting kits in the carbs right now as I type this...

THe GOOO that came out of the gas lines was nassssssssssssTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, it wasn't gasoline, it looked like nasty fry grease from the bottom of a fryer...

I think it was more than 2 years in the making to get this bad...

Beware Brian, if you can easily get your gas tank out and flush it...

At any rate, KUDOS!!!!! sounds good, looks fun!!! Lets see some more pics/video, "walk around" of that beast... :)

314joey
06-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Congrats on getting her running again, time to go boating.

riverrunner1984
06-03-2015, 06:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing CandACE, when I heard "two years"... IF it has the typical quadrajet filter on the carb, you may want to have a pocket full of those on hand when you head to the river Brian...

I just sold one of my dads little fishing boats and couldn't believe my eyes what came out of the gas lines when I started flushing/cleaning the fuel system... Fortunately the tank was bone dry when it went into storage... The buyer is in the process of putting kits in the carbs right now as I type this...

THe GOOO that came out of the gas lines was nassssssssssssTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, it wasn't gasoline, it looked like nasty fry grease from the bottom of a fryer...

I think it was more than 2 years in the making to get this bad...
Beware Brian, if you can easily get your gas tank out and flush it...
At any rate, KUDOS!!!!! sounds good, looks fun!!! Lets see some more pics/video, "walk around" of that beast... :)

The boat is a little embarrassing right now as it is all messed up for being in storage lol.
Maybe more pics once its cleaned up a little haha.

I have these in-line fuel filters between the tanks and the engine....Dont these catch the particles/grime, you are referring to?
Remember, Im no mechanic here lol

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
The boat is a little embarrassing right now as it is all messed up for being in storage lol.
Maybe more pics once its cleaned up a little haha.

I have these in-line fuel filters between the tanks and the engine....Dont these catch the particles/grime, you are referring to?
Remember, Im no mechanic here lol
Yep, thats one of the filters... Good thing you have that kind, i would change it... I think those are marked for the direction of flow (should have the arrow point at the engine)... :) I would change it and throw a spare in the boat/tool box in case it's on the verge of filling up with goo... Good thing u have a biggie like that inline, it may have saved you a carb rebuild...

Also on the Qjet I think where the fuel line enters the engine which should be OK with that biggie size filter inline... Im not real good on the Qjet but I think the fitting where the fuel line enters the carb also holds a small "sintered" porous brass/metal filter that is real common on early GM cars... Cheap and worth throwing in the toolbox IF your carb has one at the fuel inlet fitting...

SOmeone else can keep me honest on the Qjet set up... OR you can post up a close up pic where the fuel line enters the carb...

As for your boat being messy/messed up... You should see MY hooptie boat, ugh... :(

riverrunner1984
06-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Yep, thats one of the filters... Good thing you have that kind, i would change it... I think those are marked for the direction of flow (should have the arrow point at the engine)... :) I would change it and throw a spare in the boat/tool box in case it's on the verge of filling up with goo... Good thing u have a biggie like that inline, it may have saved you a carb rebuild...

Also on the Qjet I think where the fuel line enters the engine which should be OK with that biggie size filter inline... Im not real good on the Qjet but I think the fitting where the fuel line enters the carb also holds a small "sintered" porous brass/metal filter that is real common on early GM cars... Cheap and worth throwing in the toolbox IF your carb has one at the fuel inlet fitting...

SOmeone else can keep me honest on the Qjet set up... OR you can post up a close up pic where the fuel line enters the carb...

As for your boat being messy/messed up... You should see MY hooptie boat, ugh... :(

Ill take a close up pic when I get home.
I had these fuel filters put in new the last time i took it out (granted it was 2 years ago lol) and I actually installed them myself...haha....They are the ones where the arrow points towards the engine.
Are you recommending changing it to a new type or just a new one in general?

rioracr
06-03-2015, 07:28 AM
take it to Puddingstone or Elsinore and run it for and hour or so before towing to Havasu, will anwser some questions for ya and those holes you could get away with some body filler or resin and clothe glass..............have fun

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Ill take a close up pic when I get home.
I had these fuel filters put in new the last time i took it out (granted it was 2 years ago lol) and I actually installed them myself...haha....They are the ones where the arrow points towards the engine.
Are you recommending changing it to a new type or just a new one in general?

Ya, just throw in a new one, I suspect they are like 5 bucks at pep boys AND if the carb has the sintered brass/metal filter in the fuel inlet, change it too and have a spare... It's cheap insurance, you know how much the carb rebuild cost and how much of a PITA it was when the carb was messed up... :)

take it to Puddingstone or Elsinore and run it for and hour or so before towing to Havasu, will anwser some questions for ya and those holes you could get away with some body filler or resin and clothe glass..............have fun

Holes??? what holes???

rioracr
06-03-2015, 08:03 AM
he had swim step holes that needed to be filled.............another post by RR

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 08:09 AM
he had swim step holes that needed to be filled.............another post by RR

Ahhhhhhh, yes... Screw holes, just get some matt, shred it, whip it up in some resin, Csink the holes real good and pack her full, put tape/paper under the holes to catch the resin when it oooozes down...

Mix the shredded glass into a paste with the resin... Wet the Csink'd holes with resin with a small throw away brush....Pack em full of thoroughly wetted fibers...

Grind it smooth and mix up some gel touch up from west marine or some other boat shop... Ezzzzzz deal... Seal it with the gel after the first part is ground smooth and cleaned with acetone, to make it water proof (the glass/resin can absorb/wick water into the glass fibers)...

HB Vic
06-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Very cool. Only one way to scratch that itch. [emoji4]

riverrunner1984
06-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Good idea.....
Can you elaborate a little more on filling the holes??? Are we just basically filling the holes and putting the cloth flush with the gel coat?
Do you think it will big a huge eye soar. like a different color?

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Good idea.....
Can you elaborate a little more on filling the holes??? Are we just basically filling the holes and putting the cloth flush with the gel coat?
Do you think it will big a huge eye soar. like a different color?

^^^ my post 13, ez dealio...

how big are the holes???

riverrunner1984
06-03-2015, 09:41 AM
^^^ my post 13, ez dealio...

how big are the holes???

Yah I saw your post after I replied lol....Ok, I think I am getting it...One question (I tried google but it didnt come up) what is Csink?

Hole are small. I'd say, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch long. I dont know diameter but it help swim step brackets in???

2manymustangs
06-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Yah I saw your post after I replied lol....Ok, I think I am getting it...One question (I tried google but it didnt come up) what is Csink?

Hole are small. I'd say, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch long. I dont know diameter but it help swim step brackets in???

TO do a proper repair on fiberglass you have to increase the surface of the original fiberglass that you are bonding to/repairing... SO in the case of a simple screw hole, you 'counter sink' or chamfer with a very wide angle, ideally greater than 45 degrees... if it is a crack, you use a die grinder and "v" it out or if it is a hole like you are talking about the outer rim of your reapir will grow to prolly 1 1/2" wide to 2" long. This increases the surface that you are bonding the new glass to. Without doing this , the patch/repair will fail or be weak around the hole...

You always wanna clean the repair area with acetone between the grinding/patch/grind/patch/grind/patch...

Poly resin sets up super fast depending on how much MEKP (hardener) you put into it... YOu may need to put some kind of rigid backing on the hole to pack your pieces of repair glass against, something that the glass wont stick too hopefully like some wood blocks wedged in place that are covered with plastic or plastic wrap or something you can peel off after the patch sets up...

Rivergames or FC pilot or Wannabe are glass guys, maybe they will CHINE in here :D and give their 2 cents... General purpose Poly REsin typically has wax/styrene in it and it rises to the surface as it cures to keep it from being tacky, so you have to clean all that off with the acetone... I would use the fiberglass MAT and not fabric for something like this... its just a matted layer of fiberglass strands, not woven like fabric/cloth...

You dont need much supplies to get it water tight and ready for final gel coat touch up, but cover the area below your repair iwth tape/masking paper/newsprint or the resin will run/oooze down all over your repair...

There isn't much strength in the poly resin by itself, you need lots O glass strands to make a strong repair... you can hand lay a small object up with a few layers and it will be tough/strong OR you can vaccum lay up 2-3 x the layers of glass, working out the resin and make 2-3 layers of glass as THIN as the hand layed object and it will be exponetially stronger, and the same thickness due to the extra layers of structure (glass)... Just as an example of where the strength comes from, its really not the resin but the saturated glass strands that create the strength...

riverrunner1984
06-03-2015, 07:38 PM

This is where the fuel line enters the carb...don't see a filter???
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/03/34434d7d9fcaa731d7d7930eaa7ba929.jpg

rioracr
06-03-2015, 09:05 PM
put a rag under the AN fitting then loosen it, then get a wrench and loosen the fitting and remove it leaving it attached to the AN fitting, the filter should be housed
in the fitting you just removed from the carb, it will look like a pouress stone, change that and put it back together and check for leaks, don't want to ruin your day
with having to use your extinguser.............have fun