PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Catalina Ski Race

BadFish
05-26-2015, 05:22 PM
It’s that almost that time of year again for the Catalina Water Ski Race. Who’s going and anybody skiing? The actual race is on July 18th and first class (boats under 24’) are set to start the 62 mile race at 9am (visibility permitting) and the 24’ – 43’ will start 7 minutes after the smaller boats. Spectator boats line up out at the break wall to see the boats enter open ocean, and then back to get the best spot on the water in front of the Queen Mary. If you plan on watching from shore the, best place is from the Queen Mary’s fantail for both the start and finish or at the Maya Hotel.
I am looking to ski the over and back class this year, so if anybody knows another skier looking to do the over and back class or a driver looking for skiers please let me know.

Here are some photos from different perspectives over the years.

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks
JT

Offishial Business
05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
i may have to take pops out this year so he can watch it.

RADRVR
05-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Sounds fun. We bought our 21' Lavey from a guy that used it to race the Catalina Ski Race. Best I can tell it ran in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Wish I could find photos of it back then. Would make for bitching garage wall art. Might have to check it out this year if were in town.

riverrunner1984
05-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Is Hotboat going to cover this event?

Undersoul02
05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Sounds fun. We bought our 21' Lavey from a guy that used it to race the Catalina Ski Race. Best I can tell it ran in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Wish I could find photos of it back then. Would make for bitching garage wall art. Might have to check it out this year if were in town.

That's awesome and would be cool to find some old pictures like that.

ChumpChange
05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Good ole Bill!

HB Vic
05-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Is Hotboat going to cover this event?

Possibly. It's so hard to cover this unless you're in a chopper and the weather is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ocphotographics
05-28-2015, 01:48 PM

If you know the number of it when it ran, chances are pretty good I may have photos of it. I have been covering the race since 98. If you don't know the numbers it ran under, I may be able to find it if you can tell me the colors or post a current photo.

Possibly. It's so hard to cover this unless you're in a chopper and the weather is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot the race from a chopper, and you can't beat that. Let me know if you want on one of the start boats or the media boat, and I will see what I can do.

2manymustangs
05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
It’s that almost that time of year again for the Catalina Water Ski Race. Who’s going and anybody skiing? The actual race is on July 18th and first class (boats under 24’) are set to start the 62 mile race at 9am (visibility permitting) and the 24’ – 43’ will start 7 minutes after the smaller boats. Spectator boats line up out at the break wall to see the boats enter open ocean, and then back to get the best spot on the water in front of the Queen Mary. If you plan on watching from shore the, best place is from the Queen Mary’s fantail for both the start and finish or at the Maya Hotel.
I am looking to ski the over and back class this year, so if anybody knows another skier looking to do the over and back class or a driver looking for skiers please let me know.

Here are some photos from different perspectives over the years.

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks
JT

We did this event for a number of years, riding along as coast guard auxiliary patrol at the opening in the federal breakwater... The CG put an end to any NON auxiliary ride alongs... SO I took to watching as a landlubber...

I started watching the START from Long Beach (parking lot) and the FINISH from near the queen mary... Nice party at the Maya after... :action-smiley-035:

From the fantail of the QM sounds like a good place to watch/party...

Uncle Dave and I launched from there this summer in his Lavey, but, there was no skiing going on... ;)

RADRVR
05-28-2015, 03:22 PM
If you know the number of it when it ran, chances are pretty good I may have photos of it. I have been covering the race since 98. If you don't know the numbers it ran under, I may be able to find it if you can tell me the colors or post a current photo.

Boat Number 939; it's a Blue/Yellow. I've browsed the CSR results website from 2004 to present and haven't found anything under 939, so perhaps its prior to then. The original owner is Robert Boermans and he has copiloted 777 several times. The boat is a 2000, so it may have ran from 2000-2003.