PDA

View Full Version : GOprO time...

2manymustangs
05-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have a good GoPro hookup OR "do/dont" advice??? I have an antique borrowed Hero and Im going to take it up a notch or three...

I need a GoPro that I can connect via WIFI so I can have some remote control at close range (100 yards or less)... I don't need 4k but some of the new options may be nice...

My new toy, I'm getting a gimbal tonight...

K-034
05-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Ask Johnny Idaho how to get the best footage of PapaLetch, :LMAOsmiley:

2manymustangs
05-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Ask Johnny Idaho how to get the best footage of PapaLetch, :LMAOsmiley:

:buddies:

THese things are bad azzz, you need to try one out Chris... I'm already planning on building a custom... :yes:

314joey
05-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Don't get it wet................have fun and lets see some vids.

riverrunner1984
05-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Man I want a quadracopter so bad! What are the specs on that bad boy? I have the Hero3 go pro but I'm an amateur and not the most knowledgeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

314joey
05-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Check these bad boys out, they're almost stupid proof, even I'm thinking about getting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

HotWater
05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Check these bad boys out, they're almost stupid proof, even I'm thinking about getting one.

That's really cool! I wonder if it's fast enough to follow my boat around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrs.K034
05-22-2015, 07:19 PM
That's really cool! I wonder if it's fast enough to follow my boat around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[emoji23] that's what I was thinking!

314joey
05-23-2015, 06:04 AM
I think it goes 30mph and runs up to 20 minutes before it needs a recharge, it is cool though.

riverrunner1984
05-23-2015, 06:37 AM
That thing looks bad ass! So I'm assuming you control its flight pattern with the following device you wear?

2manymustangs
05-23-2015, 07:28 AM

That thing looks bad ass! So I'm assuming you control its flight pattern with the following device you wear?

Thats pretty cool... :thumb:

THe electronics that they throw at the QUAD industry is going to really open up some crazy options...

WIth gyro stabilization, GPS, its crazy how easy these are to fly...

Making some fun and decent quality video is my goal... My son is going to teach me the fine art of editing in FInal cut... I just need SOME remote control ABILITY /video feed to my Iphone...

RR, the specs on this thing, i cant really say for sure, it was $388 out the door, ready to fly with one factory battery, i bought a few aftermarket batteries... I was advised to have at least three batteries for a more fun flying experience (about $50 each)...

I saw a youtube video "highest Blade 350 flight ever" where the guy put an altimiter on his and it went to 4800 ft elevation... WAY beyond what is legal for us to fly... :)

I'm going to buy a cheap litte Latrax Alias for FUN flying, they are more racy... THey are less Idiot proof but much cheaper and way more agile...

You may want to upgrade to a higher end "spektrum" controller so you can use the same control to fly multiple devices... The base controller for the Blade 350 READY TO FLY kit is a DX4 controller...

THis Blade 350 is my intro/starter... I wanna stick with the GOPRO camera platform rather than the blade camera or any of the other platforms, at this point with the quality of 4k Video from a high end go pro I really dont see the value for me EVER having a quad big enough to haul a small DSLR camera... What I will lack in video quality I can make up for with editing quality/features/techniques (I think)...

2manymustangs
05-23-2015, 07:51 AM
With the flip of one switch the blade 350 will return to the COLUMN (x-y GPS coordinate) without changing altitude and then land itself... I think I need to do some calibration on mine, so far I just have pulled it out of the box and started flying... I did have to watch one youtube video for "binding the blade 350 qx3", there are flashing lights/codes/sequences that you will need the little cheat sheet to decipher...

Check out some of the FPV youtube videos, crazy stuff...

riverrunner1984
05-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Get the go pro fired up and show us ur practice videos

2manymustangs
05-23-2015, 09:49 AM

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, I have to do some video editing first...

THis antique gopro is just ehhhhhh, not something I really wanna publish...

I did strap my Iphone on and flew it, which was decent video... Maybe I will upload some stock IPHONE video to Youtube...

My son is up to his ears preparing his visa package for application to spend his next semester in Switzerland for college... I'm afraid to even ask him about getting me started on FInal Cut right now... Maybe by the end of next week when he is finished and has a few days to DEcompress from this experience... I should have my gimbal by that time but not the NEW/BETTER GoPro

riverrunner1984
05-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, I have to do some video editing first...

THis antique gopro is just ehhhhhh, not something I really wanna publish...

I did strap my Iphone on and flew it, which was decent video... Maybe I will upload some stock IPHONE video to Youtube...

My son is up to his ears preparing his visa package for application to spend his next semester in Switzerland for college... I'm afraid to even ask him about getting me started on FInal Cut right now... Maybe by the end of next week when he is finished and has a few days to DEcompress from this experience... I should have my gimbal by that time but not the NEW/BETTER GoPro

Switzerland for a semester is going to be so awesome!!!! Tell him, he has to take a weekend and go see Prague. It is the most beautiful city I have seen in Europe!
They offer a 7hr tour that gives you the highlights in 1 big tour through citydiscovery.com.

How's the learning curve on learning to fly that contraption? To get back on topic lol

2manymustangs
05-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Switzerland for a semester is going to be so awesome!!!! Tell him, he has to take a weekend and go see Prague. It is the most beautiful city I have seen in Europe!
They offer a 7hr tour that gives you the highlights in 1 big tour through citydiscovery.com.

How's the learning curve on learning to fly that contraption? To get back on topic lol

We're pretty stoked for him and this opportunity to study in Switzerland, I was there in the 80's for work and fell in love with CH...

There really is no learning curve, take it out of the box and fly it, just start slow... You can turn it on in beginner mode, pour the throttle to it and let it hover in front of your face, walk away, it will just hover there locked on the GPS column... After three or four batteries you will be pushing it to the limit of the beginner mode...

I got a little carried away and flew it into a tree that I was standing under, my Peripheral vision isnt all the great due to my glasses... :boobeyes: It fell from about 20 feet up and broke the landing gear which I replaced with the taller gear so I have room for the gimbal/gopro... It comes with a basic shock/rubber gopro mount included in the package...

I'm still flying in the beginner mode and that is mostly all I wanna do but you can do flips/rolls with this thing, NIGHT flying is my favorite, this thing is very well lit and more fun to fly at night...

I was so amazed to see JOhnny Idaho flying his at night at the Needles campground a few years ago, now I totally get it, way more fun...

2manymustangs
06-23-2015, 04:24 AM

At long last a test/sample, I can see that I'm going to need a gimbal for the windy conditions. I think that Youtube defaults to 480P so be sure to set it up to 1080. I think I need to upgrade to the better radio (spectrum 6 ch) which allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the sticks for slower/smoother movement while recording:

https://youtu.be/HSsCyNxilHw

P.S I ended up with a Hero 3+ Black edition from eBAY, the folks in Colorado Springs CO sell factory refurbs for a pretty decent price, and it's the full kit with all of the pieces/mounts/remote key fob...

riverrunner1984
06-23-2015, 07:10 AM
At long last a test/sample, I can see that I'm going to need a gimbal for the windy conditions. I think that Youtube defaults to 480P so be sure to set it up to 1080. I think I need to upgrade to the better radio (spectrum 6 ch) which allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the sticks for slower/smoother movement while recording:

P.S I ended up with a Hero 3+ Black edition from eBAY, the folks in Colorado Springs CO sell factory refurbs for a pretty decent price, and it's the full kit with all of the pieces/mounts/remote key fob...

Man, that is so cool....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Let me ask you this, is it pretty compact? I mean, could it be easy to travel with say in a checked in suite case on a plane or in a carry on bag?
Would be fun to take on vacations.

2manymustangs
06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
I have the tall landing gear on this one and it will fit in my rolling carry on bag, no way will I check it but I suppose you could... :) YOu could easily take the original box, modify the foam and put it into a large checked bag... After you have multiple batteries, charger for the quad battery, wasabi charger and batteries and attachments for the gopro It will take up most of a rolling bag but fits nicely... I plan to remove the props (8 tiny allen head screws) for the trip and just pack my soft stuff around it...

Maybe after I get a little more use out of it I wont be so afraid to check it in the original box inside of a large checked bag...

In the Ariel Photo or safe modes it is so easy to fly, and these are the right modes for 99% of your video/photo needs...

:D

HB Vic
06-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Amazing how much these things have evolved over the past couple years. The ones I bought are totally antiquated at this point.

Even the Lilly, when it is finally released, will probably be old technology.

I'm gonna save my money and wait for a thought controlled drone. LOL

rschap1
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
A couple things my novice/green/cheap self will throw out there:
Not sure about all quads but friend with a Phantom found out the hard way that the go pro wifi and the Phantom's control are same frequency or interfere with each other some how...Ooops.
Now the cheap part(s):
I got my son a HD wifi "sports" camera.
Had the name indigo on it.
Seen it for less than $70 bucks now.
Obvious knock off, but it does a great job.
Also got him a Syma X5c quad for about $80.
Not close to the class of anything discussed here but for $80 he's learning and better quality and better video than I would have ever guessed for so cheap.

2manymustangs
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Amazing how much these things have evolved over the past couple years. The ones I bought are totally antiquated at this point.

Even the Lilly, when it is finally released, will probably be old technology.

I'm gonna save my money and wait for a thought controlled drone. LOL

I'm worried about where your thoughts might take it... :yikes:

2manymustangs
06-23-2015, 11:29 AM
A couple things my novice/green/cheap self will throw out there:
Not sure about all quads but friend with a Phantom found out the hard way that the go pro wifi and the Phantom's control are same frequency or interfere with each other some how...Ooops.
Now the cheap part(s):
I got my son a HD wifi "sports" camera.
Had the name indigo on it.
Seen it for less than $70 bucks now.
Obvious knock off, but it does a great job.
Also got him a Syma X5c quad for about $80.
Not close to the class of anything discussed here but for $80 he's learning and better quality and better video than I would have ever guessed for so cheap.

one of my workers in Morellia MX has the Syma and loves it, I think his has an integrated cam...??

Its true about the GoPro WIFI and the blade RC frequency, both are 2.4 and there are rumors of interference on the BLADE that cause the GPS to not lock OR become UNlocked as per the tech peeps... There are reports of FLY AWAYS, I am going to wait a bit longer before I try to run the WIFI of the gopro while flying... I am going with another FPV option that is a small MUCHO higher frequency RF transmitter that will plug into the back of the GoPro and can be viewed with the fat shark goggles, the GoPro feed / view is played out via RF to the goggles so your looking at what the GoPro sees... These are proven and have no interference issues... I expect some kind of digital encryption code in the Blade 350 or the newer versions to prevent the cross talk issues...

HB Vic
06-23-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm worried about where your thoughts might take it... :yikes:

Yeah me too lol

riverrunner1984
06-24-2015, 02:42 PM

With the 4th of July coming up, would be cool to get some drone video of the fireworks....Do you have any good displays where you are?

rschap1
06-25-2015, 10:50 AM
My neighbor puts on one he__ of a show every year.
We watch from the water on the boat.
Too bad the quad we have is so sketchy.
I doubt we'd be able to keep from soaking or sinking it.
Maybe when we get home and I blow up my own stuff I can get the son to try his skills.

2manymustangs
06-25-2015, 02:18 PM
With the 4th of July coming up, would be cool to get some drone video of the fireworks....Do you have any good displays where you are?

We usually watch from Signal Hill... ;)

Will be there (at Signal Hill) this year as well...

The lake/city that my parents live on in MO has a really good display...

2manymustangs
07-01-2015, 02:51 PM
I had to end this video with a special hello to SteveD, from his favorite LBCS pooch "Skittles"... :dogrun:

https://youtu.be/zROmYCft3Ho

2manymustangs
07-03-2015, 02:13 PM
FINALLY, my first real video, where I got to drive in FinalCutPro...

https://youtu.be/487Z5CKlfnY

A palm tree can grow up and reach the sky,
I never did stop and wonder why.
It seems they climb into outer space,
I guess it's cause they're living under California grace.

California grace.

Dear mother don't misunderstand your son,
Think I'm crazy to live my life on the run.
I'll write this line of your pretty face,
Say I'm doing just fine, my California grace.

California grace.

Dear sweet woman put your hand in mine,
I've got my mind made up this time.
You and I are getting out of this place
Don't forget to pack up your California grace.

Smog fills the sky with pink and blue,
Beautifies the air while it's killing you.
Sounds like that's the place where we ought to be.
Let's hitch a ride in California gracefully. Gracefully yeah.

Miles of road that we haven't seen,
Ancient ruins, fields of green.
Come on girl, we got dreams to chase,
Young and under California grace.

Please dear woman, won't you follow me?
Open your mind and set me free.
You and I ain't gotta win no race,
We're young and under California grace.

Say I'm doing just fine, my California grace.
We're young and under California grace.

Mrs.K034
07-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Nice job!! [emoji106]

2manymustangs
08-17-2015, 08:01 PM
https://youtu.be/cZA8NUGbFas

2manymustangs
08-17-2015, 08:02 PM
https://youtu.be/N8n6oAj7Jbc

riverrunner1984
07-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Are you still flying your drone 2MM?
I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos of them and am fighting the not to compulsive buy one lol

2manymustangs
07-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Are you still flying your drone 2MM?
I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos of them and am fighting the not to compulsive buy one lol

Well, i haven't flown it much, but still love it, and IM ready to upgrade the frame to this... The last few crash landings has left my blade 350 in rough shape but still working well... :)

I do get tired of people asking me "is it legal for you to fly that thing?" I still haven't finished the registration process YET... ;)

This 350 class frame is about $120 - $140... THis will make it MUCHO easier to transport in my carry on bag/backpack...

riverrunner1984
07-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Well, i haven't flown it much, but still love it, and IM ready to upgrade the frame to this... The last few crash landings has left my blade 350 in rough shape but still working well... :)

I do get tired of people asking me "is it legal for you to fly that thing?" I still haven't finished the registration process YET... ;)

This 350 class frame is about $120 - $140... THis will make it MUCHO easier to transport in my carry on bag/backpack...

So is it a model you build yourself? I was looking at the dji phantoms but I can't justify spending the money right now after putting so much into the boat this year

2manymustangs
07-20-2016, 12:46 PM
So is it a model you build yourself? I was looking at the dji phantoms but I can't justify spending the money right now after putting so much into the boat this year

that frame kit accepts the guts/electronics from my blade 350, not totally plug N plan but close based on what I have seen...

THEN the next upgrade will be FPV: http://www.fatshark.com/

The Phantom does have some strong points but eventually I will have a much better set up with the FPV set up... and much higher quality video...