PDA

View Full Version : Legit question from a non drinker.

Sharp shooter
05-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Why do you guys love going to bars when you can buy booze much cheaper at the grocery store and drink it at home not having to tip or worry about DUI's?

ocphotographics
05-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Great question but never really thought about it. Guess for me it's a social thing with friends and meeting new people.

Sent from my Darkroom

HB Vic
05-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Can't speak for the masses, but today I had to drop some stuff off at storage. It was super hot, and I had a little time to kill so I had a beer (yes one beer) and watched a little of the hockey game and left.

Aside from that, and when I'm not driving, I'll usually go to hang out with friends.

It's very rare that I drink at home. And I almost never drink alone. Once in awhile I'll have a beer if I'm bar b queuing but that's about it.

Sharp shooter
05-01-2015, 09:45 PM
My question isn't about being "alone". I get adding the social aspect, but isn't it just as easy for friends to meet up at someone's house? Can't you turn on the hockey game at home and everyone watch it. I understand when you're out of state at a race, but when close to home I don't get it. lol

ChumpChange
05-01-2015, 09:52 PM
If you're at a house, somebody in the group of friends is working. Who's making the food? Who's cleaning up? Who now can't choose to do something else because he has guests over? Restaurants solve all these issues, have all the choices, service, various drinks, and puts everybody on same level. Yeah it costs but there is a service one is getting.

ChumpChange
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM
No kids!

HB Vic
05-01-2015, 09:56 PM
You saw my post on FB lol. That little bar is very strange. I've been in many bars but this one is different. I've met several people there who are not your typical bar people. They are business owners, intellectuals, and retirees. So I find it very interesting and enjoy hanging out there once in awhile.

MrDenton
05-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Variety. Variety in beers/cocktails. Variety in people. Variety in scenery. Variety in activities pool, darts...

I am an Oath Keeper

rioracr
05-02-2015, 07:27 AM
because we are social people who like to interact, if you are antie social then you drink alone so you don't have to interact with others
so we are two different species.............

Sharp shooter
05-02-2015, 07:56 AM
These are some great replies. :thumbsUp:

Greg, don't most people usually just order the same beer that they've grown to love and mixed drinks and not really "sample" everything aside from what a friend might suggest occasionally?
I know some of you have more variety in stock at your houses than some bars. haha

Chumpchange, that makes sense, but many bars don't have a restaurant attached to them. :D

Rio, I've seen a lot of people at bars sitting there by themselves not interacting and right next to them there might be a group of friends. Is there really a method to the madness?I think all types of drinkers go to bars whether their socialites or not. :beer

HB Vic
05-02-2015, 08:02 AM
There are also other reasons to hit bars if you're single [emoji16]

Sharp shooter
05-02-2015, 08:13 AM
There are also other reasons to hit bars if you're single [emoji16]

I haven't been single for a while, but when I was most bars were a sausage fest. just sayin. :D

HB Vic
05-02-2015, 08:14 AM
I haven't been single for a while, but when I was most bars were a sausage fest. just sayin. :D

lol true but that depends on the bar [emoji16]

ChumpChange
05-02-2015, 08:17 AM

You need to change your question to Dive Bars. That better fits the profile of your question. When I think of bar, I'm thinking Yard House and the likes where there are plenty of foods and lots of variety in beer. You are correct with Dive Bars though. Many of the same people and generally older. They are fun in their own way as the old guys have some great stories to tell about wars and other experiences.

Mrs.K034
05-02-2015, 08:57 AM
This is good stuff.. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Vic
05-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Met a guy at this particular bar a couple months ago who worked for NASA, interesting guy. Also met a guy who worked for a huge contractor doing $15-20M jobs. We worked in a lot of the same facilities.

Also met a guy who hand builds his own bikes. Older dude who is wild as hell. But a very nice guy.

Can't get that at home [emoji16]

Undersoul02
05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
My wife and I like to go to our local sports bar about once a week. We like it because it's a change of scenery for us and our 2 year old. Yes, we bring him with us all the time. He loves it because he can run around on the patio with the other kids and nobody cares. They have great burgers, roast beef dip and ice cold beer. Other then that we will have people over or go to their house. It's a lot easier on the kids and us. I'd say it's more about a change of scenery and friends for us then convenience .

As far as dive bars go I'm not a big fan. I can drink beer out of a can or bottle at home.

314joey
05-02-2015, 06:59 PM
I've never been able to drink at home alone, doesn't seem normal to me, I'm a super social person and so is my Wife, nope not swingers, we both just like people, we both love to dance, not as much as when we were younger, legs aren't what they used to be, but we went out 3-4 night s a weeks years ago, I don't drink very much if any if I have to drive, we either set-up a ride or take a cab, now before anyone says anything to me about driving at all with 1 beer in me, look around at the road with all these kids texting which is much worse than me driving with a beer in me.

That's our gig, I like to have a few beers once in a while and they taste even better on a hot day in the boat.

Ziggy
05-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Usually, I will drink when I go out somewhere with friends, but I don't go out just to drink with friends :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sharp shooter
05-02-2015, 08:41 PM
You need to change your question to Dive Bars. That better fits the profile of your question. When I think of bar, I'm thinking Yard House and the likes where there are plenty of foods and lots of variety in beer. You are correct with Dive Bars though. Many of the same people and generally older. They are fun in their own way as the old guys have some great stories to tell about wars and other experiences.

You may be right. I've always considered restaurants that have bars in them just that- Restaurants with bars in them Hell, I was kitchen manager of the original Cask n Cleaver and responsible for preparing the happy hour food back 25 years ago. :D

I used to go to with friends to the Red Dog in Needles and Sports Valley in Parker. I consider those bars just like Foxes. Are those dive bars? Straighten me out. :thumbsUp:

HB Vic
05-02-2015, 08:52 PM
You may be right. I've always considered restaurants that have bars in them just that- Restaurants with bars in them Hell, I was kitchen manager of the original Cask n Cleaver and responsible for preparing the happy hour food back 25 years ago. :D

I used to go to with friends to the Red Dog in Needles and Sports Valley in Parker. I consider those bars just like Foxes. Are those dive bars? Straighten me out. :thumbsUp:

Sports Valley [emoji106]🏼[emoji106]🏼. Miss that place

Sharp shooter
05-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Sports Valley [emoji106]��[emoji106]��. Miss that place

You wanna see some video? Lol!!

HB Vic
05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
You wanna see some video? Lol!!

Sure. But I may be in it lol

2manymustangs
05-03-2015, 05:29 AM

I go to one of two places (unless its a group from the office going to Fox N Hound)...

Old Monroe Tavern - has a catfish fillet that is spectactular, I like to chat with the bar maid and sip some JD... I usually meet John, my transmission buddy here...

Hobo's Tavern in St Peters - has a caftish fillet that is spectacular, I like to chat with the bar maid and sip som JD...

BB's Jazz Blues and Soup - St Louis's #1 jazz/blues/music venu, the catfish isn't all that but they do have great wings and other good things on the menu... Great music... Great atmosphere...

My favorite pace to have a sip is sitting on my front porch, Sunday night, listening to KDHX.org sunday evening blues show and watching the sunset/stars... :yes:

Eli
05-03-2015, 06:06 PM
I go to bars in hopes that someone will roofie me and take me home [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ok on a serious note, I rarely go to bars. I rarely drink at home. I usually only drink at some event or when I'm at the river. I use to have a glass or two of wine every night at home, but that changed a few years ago.

Sent from my Bat Mobile

HB Vic
05-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I know a couple people who go strictly for the purpose of getting wasted lol

I don't recommend this

Eli
05-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I know a couple people who go strictly for the purpose of getting wasted lol

I don't recommend this

I know a lot of people who do that...it's a bad idea.

Sent from my Bat Mobile

MrDenton
05-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Jerry, I don't keep alcohol in the house for me. My taste for cocktails changes like the weather. Brenda, keeps a well stocked bar for herself. If and when we go out, it's usually to a restaurant/bar and I might have 4 or 5 different drinks. So variety works for me. I love dive bars. For me it was shooting pool, throwing darts and drinking watered down tap beer with good friends.
Now a days, I own my own pool table and usually fall asleep before I finish my first drink.

I am an Oath Keeper

Sharp shooter
05-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I go to bars in hopes that someone will roofie me and take me home [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lol!!!

Ok on a serious note, I rarely go to bars. I rarely drink at home. I usually only drink at some event or when I'm at the river. I use to have a glass or two of wine every night at home, but that changed a few years ago.

Sent from my Bat Mobile

Sounds like everyone's running a little bit different program. I must say, this is all interesting. I need to shoot a documentary about it. :D

2manymustangs
05-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Lol!!!

Sounds like everyone's running a little bit different program. I must say, this is all interesting. I need to shoot a documentary about it. :D

Im in.... mail me the release form... ;)

P.S. Im on the front porch right now having some apple jack... And the blues are jammin... http://kdhx.org/

westair
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Use to go to happy hour at Cask N cleaver in Hacienda Heights many many years ago ... the food was the best! .....everything about the place was good, not sure why it closed

HB Vic
05-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Hey Jerry, one important detail I forgot to mention. The older guy I met who builds his own bikes and definitely seemed a little on the wild side; doesn't drink when he goes to bars. For the couple hours I was there, he drank Sprites. At least 3 of them.

Thought that was very interesting.

Eli
05-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Lol!!!

I always have a pretty good variety of alcohol at my place...I'm just not a big daily drinker. I think it's funny when people see my bar and ask me if I'm an alcoholic...I always reply, alcoholics don't have alcohol in their house. They usually drink it all.

I realized that not drinking daily makes it much easier to keep my girlish figure. So, vanity wins! Lol

Sent from my Bat Mobile

HB Vic
05-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Ha. Kettle one has a delivery service [emoji41]

Sharp shooter
05-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Use to go to happy hour at Cask N cleaver in Hacienda Heights many many years ago ... the food was the best! .....everything about the place was good, not sure why it closed

I'm not sure either. The food was good and makes me want to go pay them a visit. :eat:

Hey Jerry, one important detail I forgot to mention. The older guy I met who builds his own bikes and definitely seemed a little on the wild side; doesn't drink when he goes to bars. For the couple hours I was there, he drank Sprites. At least 3 of them.

Thought that was very interesting.

Maybe you caught him as he was winding down. Maybe he got there early...? If not maybe he was just lonely. :D

I always have a pretty good variety of alcohol at my place...I'm just not a big daily drinker. I think it's funny when people see my bar and ask me if I'm an alcoholic...I always reply, alcoholics don't have alcohol in their house. They usually drink it all.

I realized that not drinking daily makes it much easier to keep my girlish figure. So, vanity wins! Lol

Sent from my Bat Mobile

That's funny!

Isn't beer more of a fat gainer than hard drinks? You look good Eli, you have it figured out. :yes:

ChumpChange
05-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Very true. I worked at a grocery store in High School. There was a guy who would come in every day and buy a small bottle of Jack and a couple 20ounce Coors Light cans. After a couple times seeing this, I commented to the cashier that this customer could save a lot of money by buying larger bottles and a case. He replied that the guy was an alcoholic and buying so little was the only way he could control how much he would drink for the night. If he bought more, he'd drink more.

2manymustangs
05-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Description Serving Sizes kCal Fat(g)

Calories in Jack Daniels (80 proof)

Single (25ml) 56 0
Double (50ml) 111 0
100ml 222 0

riverrunner1984
05-05-2015, 09:20 AM
My wife and I like to go to our local sports bar about once a week. We like it because it's a change of scenery for us and our 2 year old. Yes, we bring him with us all the time. He loves it because he can run around on the patio with the other kids and nobody cares. They have great burgers, roast beef dip and ice cold beer. Other then that we will have people over or go to their house. It's a lot easier on the kids and us. I'd say it's more about a change of scenery and friends for us then convenience .
As far as dive bars go I'm not a big fan. I can drink beer out of a can or bottle at home.

Speaking of Dive Bars....Have you ever been to Boomers on Bellflower and Del Amo across from the Taco Bell? They used to have an awesome band play there and you could get a 32oz beer for $6 def a dive bar though.

Sharp shooter
05-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Sports Valley Bar saturday night of the thanksgiving circle races 98.

How many people can you recognize (if any)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL8uK2PsBo

Mrs.K034
05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Sports Valley Bar saturday night of the thanksgiving circle races 98.

How many people can you recognize (if any)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL8uK2PsBo

That's too funny.. Kinda dark though. Think I saw a Gordy and a Katie and a Ben. I'll have to watch it on the computer again. Lol!!!

Sharp shooter
05-09-2015, 01:56 PM
That's too funny.. Kinda dark though. Think I saw a Gordy and a Katie and a Ben. I'll have to watch it on the computer again. Lol!!!

Not Ben. Ben didn't start coming around until years after that. I'm the guy with the long hair and hat dancing with my then gf. Gordy is dancing with her at the beginning if the vid.

I think Kattie was prego there.

Mrs.K034
05-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Not Ben. Ben didn't start coming around until years after that. I'm the guy with the long hair and hat dancing with my then gf. Gordy is dancing with her at the beginning if the vid.

Lol. You all look so different! Haha. I knew Gordy right away.

HB Vic
05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm sure I've seen you guys. Used to go there all the time

Eli
05-09-2015, 02:55 PM
That's funny!

Isn't beer more of a fat gainer than hard drinks? You look good Eli, you have it figured out. :yes:
Yea, the yummy beer has way more calories. I won't drink the light beers. I drink alcohol for the taste. I try to stick to vodka and a diet soda. Red wine has more calories than vodka but it has a few redeeming qualities.

Thank you!! [emoji5]️

Very true. I worked at a grocery store in High School. There was a guy who would come in every day and buy a small bottle of Jack and a couple 20ounce Coors Light cans. After a couple times seeing this, I commented to the cashier that this customer could save a lot of money by buying larger bottles and a case. He replied that the guy was an alcoholic and buying so little was the only way he could control how much he would drink for the night. If he bought more, he'd drink more.

Yea, it's virtually impossible to keep alcohol in a house where there's an alcoholic. It's a mystery of what will come first every night...the end of the bottle or the passed out drunk.

Sent from my Bat Mobile

2manymustangs
05-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Very :)

Mrs.K034
05-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Did I see Rick Johnson in that video too? Kinda looks like him.

msmeads
05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
"I'm the guy with the long hair and hat dancing with my then gf."

Jerry, you sure had some long hair back then. what made you cut it as you have it today?

Sharp shooter
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Did I see Rick Johnson in that video too? Kinda looks like him.

Not sure about Rick, but Ty Newton is hard to miss. :D

"I'm the guy with the long hair and hat dancing with my then gf."

Jerry, you sure had some long hair back then. what made you cut it as you have it today?

Hey Jon, I cut it for 2 reasons. First my fiancée didn't really care for it and 2nd my hair was thinning by then (5 years later) and I didn't want to turn into this guy. :D

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/778/2340146-bald-long_1845506i.jpg

Mrs.K034
05-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Not sure about Rick, but Ty Newton is hard to miss. :D

Hey Jon, I cut it for 2 reasons. First my fiancée didn't really care for it and 2nd my hair was thinning by then (5 years later) and I didn't want to turn into this guy. :D

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/778/2340146-bald-long_1845506i.jpg

I thought that was Ty, but didn't think he was old enough to be there with you guys. lol. Sorry in advance. [emoji4]

Sharp shooter
05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
I thought that was Ty, but didn't think he was old enough to be there with you guys. lol. Sorry in advance. [emoji4]

Yeah, Ty started driving really young. It was just him and his dad back then and a very light budget. He did really well at times, but had his share of mechanical problems. He's back in the left upper corner in the early seconds of the vid then at 29 seconds he's right there up close for a second.

Dean Neal is the very happy larger fellow. He owned the Pour Investment boat and he's dancing with Denise Tuttle and then Denise's sister (can't remember her name). Chuck Boyd Jr is in there dancing with Mike Stock's sister Megan, Bill Faulkner's in there, Rodney Peralta brother of Scott who drove the SS-126 boat is the shorter stocky guy. He's the guy that would eat the left over food people set out in the hotel hallways. :D

MrDenton
06-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Thought this goes perfect here SS. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/08/c23b1bf1c6d443bdf0e43479b359ab11.jpg

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”

Sharp shooter
06-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Thought this goes perfect here SS.

Lol!! :)

The Doctor
06-08-2015, 09:23 PM
As a lifelong non-drinker, I have little to offer to this thread but I recognize the potential for the social aspect as my father stopped at the bar nearly every day after working as a bricklayer to cool down and tip a few. For me, alcohol and tobacco weren't the least bit appealing so I spent the equivalent amount on drag race cars, tractor trailer, boats, tools and shops. I've easily wasted as much money on them and I can't say I'm really ahead - it's just different that I like.

sangermike
06-09-2015, 07:39 AM
going to a bar for me is a social thing. it's getting dangerous to have friends over to your house for drinks. most states have dram shop laws where you are responsible for the people at your house drinking and driving if they get in an accident or even pulled over for dui. your friend could take civil actions against you. for me its safer to meet at a bar and limit my drinks

tpltrbl303
06-09-2015, 01:32 PM
As a bar owner...and a non drinker I can say that if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian
06-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Ahh, the Red Dog in Needles!! Is that place still there? I remember the Ramirez bros dragging me there 1 night. Walking to and from through the golf course was the best part of that whole night. What a shit hole!

You thinking about picking up drinking Jerry??

Good to see you for about 5 seconds over the weekend. Next time we will have to catch up for real.

HB Vic
06-09-2015, 02:51 PM
I totally believe some people should not drink. Some people cannot handle alcohol and all it does is amplify their anger or granger and they get themselves in trouble as a result.

So to summarize:

Only happy people should drink [emoji23]

2manymustangs
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I totally believe some people should not drink. Some people cannot handle alcohol and all it does is amplify their anger or granger and they get themselves in trouble as a result.

So to summarize:

Only happy people should drink [emoji23]

AMEN....

I was at BB's jazz blues and soup Saturday night and this chick stumbled in, with her guy and another couple... I knew within 30 seconds she was going to be trouble...

I was mortified when she started getting all weird with the lead singer of the band "Laura Rain & The Caesars"... She was soooooooooooooooooooo obnoxious...

:punch: Her guy was holding his hands over his face... :(

Sharp shooter
06-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Ahh, the Red Dog in Needles!! Is that place still there? I remember the Ramirez bros dragging me there 1 night. Walking to and from through the golf course was the best part of that whole night. What a shit hole!

You thinking about picking up drinking Jerry?? Absolutely not.

Good to see you for about 5 seconds over the weekend. Next time we will have to catch up for real.

Likewise. You seemed busy so I tried to make the thank you brief. :thumbsUp: