PDA

View Full Version : Lemon/Warranty Law Experience

RADRVR
04-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Anybody here experience the lemon/warranty law process? What should I expect....?

I purchase a brand new 2012 Ram 2500 from Huntington Beach Dodge in February 2013. From February 2013 - February 2015 the truck was flawless. Mechanically it still is. Just has some computer issues.

On November 22, 2014, at 35,253 miles, the dealer performed a manufacturer recall where the powertrain control module (PCM) was reprogrammed. Went downhill from here...

February 9-10, 2015 at 38,411 miles, Check Engine Light (CEL). NOx absorber efficiency below threshold. Replaced Mass Air Flow sensor. 1st repair attempt. 2 days in shop.

March 2-3, 2015 at 39,044 miles, Another CEL. Replaced Oxygen Sensor harness. 2nd repair attempt. 2 days in shop.

March 9-20, 2015, at 39,216 miles. Another CEL. EGR valve replaced and reset codes. Then truck threw codes P 2701 and P 2704. 2C/4C snap ring broke. All internals replaced and transmission practically rebuilt. 3rd repair attempt. 11 days in shop.

April 12, 2015, at 39,891 miles, another CEL. Still at the dealer for its 4th repair attempt. Allegedly they our working with engineers in Detroit to diagnose.

I sold my Ford PSD to get away from this crap! I think I have another....

rschap1
04-16-2015, 10:45 AM
It varies somewhat by state.
I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD bought back.
In my state of MI if a vehicle is out of your use more than 30 days within a year, or had same defect 4 times, then it is a lemon.
At that point you are entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle.

Ziggy
04-16-2015, 11:42 AM
That's basically it. Number of days documented in for repairs and/or repeated attempts to repair same fault(if it throws different codes each time then that doesn't count).
Depending, some manufactures roll over easy and buy it back, others will dig in their heels.
Documentation will be your greatest ally. Hope all your truck issues go away, one way or another.

2manymustangs
04-16-2015, 02:19 PM
That's basically it. Number of days documented in for repairs and/or repeated attempts to repair same fault(if it throws different codes each time then that doesn't count).
Depending, some manufactures roll over easy and buy it back, others will dig in their heels.
Documentation will be your greatest ally. Hope all your truck issues go away, one way or another.

^^^ what he said... i would start an excel doc... :)

every jot and tiddle...

BY the way , is the NOX absorber the ureha / amonia thingamabob that is used to scrub the exhaust (uses livestock piss?)

Offishial Business
04-16-2015, 03:38 PM
it doesnt matter the maker, they all have issues. my chevy have eaten 13 sets of injectors, i now have just shy of 600k miles.
i looked at the lemon law and they discount dollar amount and the years on the vehicle as well some other BS. doc everything is the key.
if i remember right in SD there is an attorney that specialize in Lemon Law he has like a 98% rate for either trade of vehicle or pay back. i talked to him but my mileage and year of truck i was only going to get like 75% back. So i milked chevey for 8 years.

Good Luck

HB Vic
04-16-2015, 03:45 PM
I assume yours is diesel?

We have (3) Dodge Diesels that were purchased brand new in 2011 I believe. Last year before the urea injection deal. All three have been flawless. I mean absolutely zero issues. And all three are pushing 150K at this point. Best running diesel trucks we've ever had. I am totally impressed by them. Can't imagine one year making such a big difference, but I guess you never know.

Good luck.

RADRVR
04-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Ya, it's a diesel. Been super happy with it and tows like a dream - both boat and toy hauler. In talking with an attorney, I'd likely only get 68-70% of value back, which is not worth it to me. Best case scenario is new vehicle, although unlikely, or Cash and Keep Option where Chrysler just pays me a sum to go away. I'd still own the vehicle, maintain the warranty and it's not branded a Lemon. This might be my option.

As soon as my Ford passed 100K miles, bye-bye went radiator, thermostats and lower pressure turbo (a cab off repair).

I need a Honda Accord that'll tow 15,000#s.

Undersoul02
04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I need a Honda Accord that'll tow 15,000#s.

When you find one let me know!