PDA

View Full Version : light trailer tongue weight

sangermike
02-19-2015, 05:10 AM
after finally finishing my boat I filled up the tanks each hold about 25 gallons. when i connected the trailer to my truck I had to push down on the tongue to make connection to my truck. prior to filling the tanks the tongue weight seemed normal, it tows fine but i always thought your tongue weight was supposed to be about 5-10% of trailer and boat.the boat is a sanger mini. when i push it all the way down to the floor it stays there but its practically 0 tongue weight. is this a problem? and are there any solutions other then moving the axles back, which i wouldn't do attempt i'd buy a new trailer first.

RogerThat99
02-19-2015, 08:35 AM
You need the boat further on the trailer. One of my friends had this issue (I think it was also a Sanger Mini). He ended moving the axles back a couple of inches. He was going to move the bow stop forward a couple of inches, but didn't have room with his breakaway hitch. .

HB Vic
02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
It will track weird if its too light. I had this problem with one of my boats and it always fishtailed on me.

My DCB is just the opposite, the axles are sooooo far back it loads this shit out of the tongue. But it tows straighter than an arrow :D

rschap1
02-19-2015, 11:37 AM
You will find out real quick at highway speeds why you need more tongue weight.
It will shake, shimmy, and dance all over.
Like said; either reposition the boat or axle to get some weight on the hitch.

Mrs.K034
02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Dang, Mike.. Sorry to hear more troubles!! That sucks. Let us know if you need anything. And since you had fuel in it and towed it.. Did you hit the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyhippy
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Put a spare tire as far forward as possible. 2 if you have the room.
Put a heavy floor on the front section of the trailer to make trailering easier...

I'm doing the same thing.

sangermike
02-22-2015, 05:07 AM
ye we've had it in twice tanks weren't full then I filled them and added stable for the winter, 2 months. I might be able to move the boat a couple inches forward but thats all and that requires some welding

sangermike
02-22-2015, 05:09 AM
thanks I'll try that. it would be the easiest

2manymustangs
02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
I've had some tough trips with LOW tongue weight, it can cause the trailer to WHIP really bad... I have also seen some bad accidents over the years from low or negative tongue weight situations, careful...

Good suggestions above... :)

sangermike
02-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Put the spare up front, have about 50lbs of archers and beach ties secured under the bow, definitely heaver tongue weight, took it for a test at 70 no shimmy or back and forth movement. Temp fix, also not putting 400 lbs of gas will help. we can move the boat about 2" forward with some welding and 1 " without welding I'll try that first I hope that will do it. I won't be able to launch with the f100 I was spinning the tires at the stop signs. not going to take a chance and tow it on 40 with the f100 we'll use the 250 and keep it down to 65/55 in cal still bringing the truck not all done but almost there