PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality???

riverrunner1984
02-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Im generally all over the news and read alot online, but I am finding it hard to establish an opinion on Net Neutrality.
I think it is because I generally do not understand the whole concept....
Without getting Political, (Wrong Thread) can a few enlighten me as to what exactly is going on? What does it have to do with being regulated as a utility???
What are everyone else's thoughts on this Net Neutrality thing that is going on?

HB Vic
02-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Its all about the greed.

Telecoms already control bandwidth. You have to pay to play fast.
Now they want to control content and limit or restrict their competitors.

If they could control the air we breathe, they would. This is how much you get, this is how clean (or dirty) it is, and this is how much you're going to pay for it.

It is a political can of worms. I'm all for making a buck, but now they're trying to squeeze every last fraction of a cent out of what they "provide".

Bandwidth is big business. And the company who owns the fiber or copper going in to your house or business, is in control. And you're not.

I think its total bullshit that they can regulate my speed to as little as 1.5MB increments. Now they want to control what you have access to.

Fuckem.

If they really want to create some competition, remove all the stops and let it fly. The provider who has the best bandwidth wins!

riverrunner1984
02-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Control content like China and N. Korea control what their citizens can see online? Like the FCC controls what can be see on broadcasted TV (Think Janet Jackson nip slip???) Is the discussion about taking the internet out of say Verizon, ATT, Time Warner's hands and handing it over to the Government?

HB Vic
02-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Control content like China and N. Korea control what their citizens can see online? Like the FCC controls what can be see on broadcasted TV (Think Janet Jackson nip slip???) Is the discussion about taking the internet out of say Verizon, ATT, Time Warner's hands and handing it over to the Government?

I may be wrong, but say your ISP is Verizon and you want to access AT&T content. Verizon can block it.

rioracr
02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
thank Barry and his cronnies in the WH for trying to take over the interweb............
:AngryFinger_7WSKJO:

Ziggy
02-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Kinda like not being able to use the diamond lane even though your tax dollars helped pay for it.:D

HB Vic
02-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Kinda like not being able to use the diamond lane even though your tax dollars helped pay for it.:D

Kinda like paying to park on public land lol

riverrunner1984
02-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Ok, Im getting the picture....
What is the motivation behind it...Are they trying to make revenue (tax$$$) off it???

riverrunner1984
02-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Mark Cuban on the subject...

http://recode.net/2015/02/18/billionaire-mark-cuban-says-net-neutrality-will-fuck-everything-up/

rschap1
02-19-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't like the idea of providers needing more $$ or letting them be biased at what speed they provided specific content, BUT...
I REALLY don't like the idea of the government getting it's hands on ANYTHING.
The government's brown finger will certainly turn this to $hi+ like everything else it touches.
Without even getting into conspiracies or any other big brother scenario; the government F's up everything it gets involved in.
There have probably already been billions of tax dollars pi$$ed away just on the FCC's studies, experts, consultants, and whatever else some representative's brother in law calls themselves already.

C-2
02-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Yup. Then a temporary tax will follow to pay for the regulation; which they will forget to repeal. Just like the phone bills. $50 for a line, $55 in taxes and fees.

The EFF always is on point for consumer Internet issues; and they have some outstanding resources for free.

riverrunner1984
02-26-2015, 04:17 PM
So it appears the Net Neutrality thing got voted in today....
Appears the courts will decide as to what is going to happen....