PDA

View Full Version : Would you?

HB Vic
02-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Camp out in the desert for months without hookups to save camping fees?

I don't think I could. Seems like a lot of work to save $35/night.

314joey
02-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Roughing it for me is called the Westin.....................lmao.

76Bonneville
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
From dust to dust.
They are just checking out what the future holds for them.

ChumpChange
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
They have dump trucks bringing fresh water and picking up black out there so why not. Old people don't shower everyday anyway.

Ziggy
02-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't think its $35 they're saving, probably more like double that. And they don't have a noisy neighbor 6 feet away.
I used to think it was bizarre to see them all, now it's kinda alluring :)

HB Vic
02-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't think its $35 they're saving, probably more like double that. And they don't have a noisy neighbor 6 feet away.
I used to think it was bizarre to see them all, now it's kinda alluring :)

The noisy neighbor thing I totally get. And since you can't find a park with 100' sites I guess I would consider that.

It's hard for me to dry camp for 2 nights. I just can't imagine 4 months [emoji16]

Ziggy
02-08-2015, 01:24 PM
The noisy neighbor thing I totally get. And since you can't find a park with 100' sites I guess I would consider that.

It's hard for me to dry camp for 2 nights. I just can't imagine 4 months [emoji16]

Fire up the genny and turn on the DirecTV you'll hardly know that you are in the sticks.

HB Vic
02-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Fire up the genny and turn on the DirecTV you'll hardly know that you are in the sticks.

Until the shitter overrunneth [emoji16][emoji15]

Sharp shooter
02-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I only dry camp if I have to and 4 days is about all I can last without needing water. Dry camping just to save money hell no. lol

Cougar Buttes.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb39/Roadroamer1/706065_10200116188014362_1901958517_o_zpsvbnpkvtk. jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/Roadroamer1/media/706065_10200116188014362_1901958517_o_zpsvbnpkvtk. jpg.html)

Luvnlife
02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't do it for months but days is ok. That is why we got a moho, way more comfy than a hotel, you feel more at home. You cn alwys find a place to dump and take on water.

HB Vic
02-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Old people don't shower everyday anyway.

Very disturbing. I can do two showers a day easily.

When you lose partial or full control of your holding tank and pipe valves due to age, I'm thinking 3-4 showers a day, if not for you for the people who have to sit downwind of you.

I need to throw up now. Brb

314joey
02-08-2015, 04:51 PM
When I first saw this I thought it was going to be a "would you Jennifer Aniston" and I was going to have to say hell yea.

2manymustangs
02-08-2015, 05:54 PM
For some its not a issue of the $35/day, its just being away/off the grid/away from everything-everyone... Just because you can...

I like it BUT if I was going to do it for a long time I think now a solar oven and a PV panel/battery for a radio may be in order...

I would be fine with a woodstove-campfire/someplace to catch some fish... Kerosene lantern...

2manymustangs
02-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Very disturbing. I can do two showers a day easily.

When you lose partial or full control of your holding tank and pipe valves due to age, I'm thinking 3-4 showers a day, if not for you for the people who have to sit downwind of you.

I need to throw up now. Brb

My dad, 80 yrs old, boggles my wife/kids mind when he tells about growing up in the country (not far from LOTO) with no electric/water/bathtub/bathroom... AND growing/rasing all of their own food... My father wired his parents house with a kit from Sears & Robuck when he was 16, one light bulb per room...

My grandpa, on his deathbed (mid 80's) looked up at the ceiling and pointed to the A.C. vent... He said to me "that was the downfall of mankind", he didn't know his own wife OR kids but I think he knew what he was trying to communicate to me...

My gramps farmed with mules, built barns for a living, hauled lumber that his father would saw with their steam saw mill, used his mule teams to haul out logs that his brothers would fell to clear farm ground and create pasture... He liked dynomite to remove stumps, split oak logs for fence rails/posts (treated the bottoms with a barrel of creosote)... Raised all of his own beef and didn't care much for pork, cut hay and grew/mixed his own cattle feed...

Built 5 houses (not counting my uncles home (that lives on the farm still)) on his farm (his last at 80yrs of age) and sold them off after he would build a new one...

My grandpa's pride, his barn with his black baldies...

He was a real tough nut...

I bet he smelled like a goat at the end of the day, wearing his union suit over his bibs, long sleeve shirt/Tshirt all buttoned/zipped up to his chin... In the sweltering Missouri heat/humidity... :action-smiley-035:

Mrs.K034
02-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Wow, not surprised!!! Always great stories, Bruce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
02-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Sorry for going totally sideways on yall... :)

To Vic's original question, yes I would and not to save the $... I would just for fun... :thumb:

JohnnyRotten
02-09-2015, 05:21 AM
Hell yeah but not in the desert with all those noisy neighbors.

6 days easy...... sponge bath the chick and me and the Shepherd jumped in the (cold) lake.

2manymustangs
02-09-2015, 05:43 AM
:action-smiley-035:

ChumpChange
02-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Nice setup there Johnny. I'd find a way to make do with that view as well. Quartzsite on the other hand.......

314joey
02-09-2015, 06:42 AM
My dad, 80 yrs old, boggles my wife/kids mind when he tells about growing up in the country (not far from LOTO) with no electric/water/bathtub/bathroom... AND growing/rasing all of their own food... My father wired his parents house with a kit from Sears & Robuck when he was 16, one light bulb per room...

My grandpa, on his deathbed (mid 80's) looked up at the ceiling and pointed to the A.C. vent... He said to me "that was the downfall of mankind", he didn't know his own wife OR kids but I think he knew what he was trying to communicate to me...

My gramps farmed with mules, built barns for a living, hauled lumber that his father would saw with their steam saw mill, used his mule teams to haul out logs that his brothers would fell to clear farm ground and create pasture... He liked dynomite to remove stumps, split oak logs for fence rails/posts (treated the bottoms with a barrel of creosote)... Raised all of his own beef and didn't care much for pork, cut hay and grew/mixed his own cattle feed...

Built 5 houses (not counting my uncles home (that lives on the farm still)) on his farm (his last at 80yrs of age) and sold them off after he would build a new one...

My grandpa's pride, his barn with his black baldies..

I bet he smelled like a goat at the end of the day, wearing his union suit over his bibs, long sleeve shirt/Tshirt all buttoned/zipped up to his chin... In the sweltering Missouri heat/humidity... :action-smiley-035:

They don't make folks like that anymore, our parents we bad azzes, great story.

2manymustangs
02-09-2015, 08:17 AM
I'm liking JohnnyRotten's idea about trading sponge baths with the Mrs... :)

Milkmoney
02-09-2015, 08:32 AM
I know staying at emerald cove You can be in for 14 days and out for 7. So I know some do that so they don't have to pay for the 7 days.

HB Vic
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I know staying at emerald cove You can be in for 14 days and out for 7. So I know some do that so they don't have to pay for the 7 days.

Trying to understand what you just said, sorry I'm not too bright.

Are you saying that Emerald only allows you to stay for 14 days, then you must leave for seven?

If so I don't understand why you would have to pay for the third week if you're not staying there?

Milkmoney
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Are you saying that Emerald only allows you to stay for 14 days, then you must leave for seven?

If so I don't understand why you would have to pay for the third week if you're not staying there?

Part of the membership conditions are 14 days in and out for 7 days , you do have the option to pay for that one week , that you are suppose to be out and stay in the park
I have ran into a few snowbirds that will go out to the desert somewhere for 7 days and others pay for the 7 days and stay in the park

Sorry maybe I worded it wrong

HB Vic
02-09-2015, 01:14 PM
That sounds even worse to me. Set up for two weeks then break camp and leave for seven days, then return?

Holy pennysavers.

Bobby V
02-09-2015, 08:19 PM

If so I don't understand why you would have to pay for the third week if you're not staying there?Same thing for the campers in the desert. They can only stay a couple weeks and then need to move on.

ChumpChange
02-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Same thing for the campers in the desert. They can only stay a couple weeks and then need to move on.

Really? Even places like Quartzsite?

HB Vic
02-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Same thing for the campers in the desert. They can only stay a couple weeks and then need to move on.

The ones in Parker sure seen like they're there forever. A few for sure I have not seen move at all.

Bobby V
02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Really? Even places like Quartzsite?I don't know about Quartzsite or Parker but the desert around Havasu City you can only stay so long in one spot. Not sure if its BLM land or not.

Mrs.K034
02-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't know about Quartzsite or Parker but the desert around Havasu City you can only stay so long in one spot. Not sure if its BLM land or not.

Really? It seems like we see the same motorhomes in the same spots for months.. But maybe it just seems that way because we are in the desert so much out here.

sangermike
02-09-2015, 09:35 PM
yea you see them at the hwy 40 off ramp earning their income. I won't camp unless there's a color tv head and hot water. no generator noise. maybe a hotel

2manymustangs
02-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't know about Quartzsite or Parker but the desert around Havasu City you can only stay so long in one spot. Not sure if its BLM land or not.

Really? It seems like we see the same motorhomes in the same spots for months.. But maybe it just seems that way because we are in the desert so much out here.

Whats up with the crusty looking leather skin guy in a THONG and no shirt, riding around Quartzite on a bicycle??? WTFFFFFFFFFF??????????

Bobby V
02-10-2015, 10:41 AM

BLM Camping Info.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/blm-land-northern-arizona-longterm-camping-55179.html