PDA

View Full Version : Irs

76Bonneville
02-03-2015, 06:31 PM
We are selling a house to the County of Riverside. Upon running a title search they find a $120,000.00 IRS lien on the property. Apparently it's for back taxes in the early 2000's. It was filed in 09. We refied in 2012 and it never came up. As the real estate rep for the county and I are talking, he ask me if my middle initial is W. I respond with no it's H for Hiroshi. First name Robert, no Ronald go by Ron.
So did the IRS agent just figure I was a close enough match? Maybe the agent just wanted to clear his desk. What a mess, don't want this to blow the deal.
I hate the Gestapo/IRS

ChumpChange
02-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Lien first, ask questions later. That's a sucky deal for sure and hope you can get it cleared up with the Title Company.

314joey
02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
These same morons audited me last year and found nothing, just caused me and my accountant a bunch of grief, why they don't mess with people that don't pay taxes, I guess they can't, they vote for their BOSS.

Where's Lois Lerner again.

C-2
02-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Do you know what the lien looks like, it identifies the other persons name and your address?

A tax lien attaches to the person and any properties they own. People often think it applies to a specific property, when in fact it attaches to any and all property including personal property. But, if a person owes taxes and has a lien recorded against them whuile they are renting a residence - the lien does not attach to the residence since the owner is not the person who owes te taxes.

Unless his name AND address are on it, sounds like it's being erroneously reported on the prelim report, due to you sharing the same name as the other guy. If that's the case I wouldn't worry about it too much, there should be a Statement of Information you fill out stating you are not the correct party.

But, sometimes they get all stupid. That happened to my FIL's estate - his name was Robert Brown. I had to disprove every tax lien and judgment recorded in Hawaii in that name. But that was not for a sale, we were just clearing title now, rather than later.

Let me know if you need an actual copy, I can readily pull it (for free). :)

76Bonneville
02-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Do you know what the lien looks like, it identifies the other persons name and your address?

A tax lien attaches to the person and any properties they own. People often think it applies to a specific property, when in fact it attaches to any and all property including personal property. But, if a person owes taxes and has a lien recorded against them whuile they are renting a residence - the lien does not attach to the residence since the owner is not the person who owes te taxes.

Unless his name AND address are on it, sounds like it's being erroneously reported on the prelim report, due to you sharing the same name as the other guy. If that's the case I wouldn't worry about it too much, there should be a Statement of Information you fill out stating you are not the correct party.

But, sometimes they get all stupid. That happened to my FIL's estate - his name was Robert Brown. I had to disprove every tax lien and judgment recorded in Hawaii in that name. But that was not for a sale, we were just clearing title now, rather than later.

Let me know if you need an actual copy, I can readily pull it (for free). :)

Thanks C-2.
Haven't seen the title report. I'm hoping the title company can straighten this out. Seems clear to me Robert W. Lund in Palm Springs or me Ronald H. Lund in Valley Center. Different socials, claims business in Palm Springs. Mine here in San Diego. I just hope it doesn't get tied up in the IRS machine.

ChumpChange
02-04-2015, 08:27 AM
As long as you have a good title officer, it wouldn't be held up as they could issue the policy.

C-2
02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Doesn't look like you have anything to worry about. The other guy, social ending in 2641, he had some monstrous tax liens - but it appears they were released 2/27/2014. A Title Abstractor should be able to sort that out quick. I did, lol.

Don't worry about it, but in all fairness, there is a Ronald W in San Diego County too, but no tax lien history there, and you are clear too. :)

C-2
02-04-2015, 05:35 PM
And, BTW, this is the title companies deal, the IRS is not reporting anything incorrectly, they identify the guy by address in Palm Springs.

ChumpChange
02-04-2015, 07:06 PM
And, BTW, this is the title companies deal, the IRS is not reporting anything incorrectly, they identify the guy by address in Palm Springs.

Makes me long for the days where we could know our Title Officers and talk things out. When things could actually get done.

76Bonneville
02-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Thank you C-2 and CC. So apparently the title co that the County of Riverside hire screwed it up.
I'm thankful it wasn't the IRS. that could have delayed the sale which could have killed the deal.

C-2
02-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Thank you C-2 and CC. So apparently the title co that the County of Riverside hire screwed it up.
I'm thankful it wasn't the IRS. that could have delayed the sale which could have killed the deal.

I wouldn't say they are screwing it up, they are being cautious, as they should be.

The majority of my work these days consists of working for title attorneys helping to fix mistakes made during the refinance boom, and from generally poor title chain research.

The other half of what I do for them involves title fraud, cases where fraudsters purposely manipulated title chains and documents in order to rip off lenders for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They probably "had to ask", it is the prudent thing to do.

Congrats on the sale :)

C-2
02-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Makes me long for the days where we could know our Title Officers and talk things out. When things could actually get done.

Well that sucks, it should be that way. The part that kills me is, the title company takes a hit for $200K. Pretty good theft, I mean, how many bank robberies net 200K? So then they contact me, and say your budget is $500, go find them and their assets. And oh yeah, the FBI is looking for them too, but finish our case before you speak with them.

Yes, phone calls with live persons would have saved a few headaches, lol.

76Bonneville
02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't say they are screwing it up, they are being cautious, as they should be.

The majority of my work these days consists of working for title attorneys helping to fix mistakes made during the refinance boom, and from generally poor title chain research.

The other half of what I do for them involves title fraud, cases where fraudsters purposely manipulated title chains and documents in order to rip off lenders for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They probably "had to ask", it is the prudent thing to do.

Congrats on the sale :)

Thanks again.
I see you're in Riverside.
Just wanted to let you know I'm probably saving you a couple mil in tax $ by this sale.