PDA

View Full Version : Hey a boat topic! Info please

Ricks raft
01-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Looking for any info, opinions, on early 2000 eliminator 21 eagles. How's the ride? How's it handle? How's it perform with a 350 mag? I haven't been able to find any reviews. My last few boats were an 84 bahner 20.5 350 144blower, 94 hallett 210 454 magnum, and recently sold my dream boat hallett 255 mid cab open bow 500hp efi. (Economy and my business forced a downsize in toys). I'd like to get back on the water. It's hard to find great deals on hallett or howard 21-23' but there's a few fair deals on the eliminator 21 eagles how do they compare to the hallett 210? Thanks.

ChumpChange
01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Too bad not closer to SoCal as Eliminator is having an Open House / BBQ today. I know that wouldn't be the most unbiased though.

Only been in the Hallett 210 myself so can't give the comparison. Buddy gave that 210 away a couple years ago. Was so pissed he didn't tell me first and just took it to Hallett. Could have made an easy $5k flipping it as it was given away that cheap!

Ricks raft
01-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah my 210 was a Great Lake boat, did ok in havasu chop. 255 was a little big for regular lakes and the mid cabin was great for my twin babies but there going to be 6 by summer. And it was a lot easier to tow a 21 than the 25. The 255 did use a bit of fuel and filling a 105 gallon tank and 30 in the truck at $4.50 a gal sucked. $500. For a long weekend does not fit my income level :)

LB247XS
01-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Just keep looking for another Hallett 210.best all around 21 in my opinion.or get a Vector or do I dare say it a (Schiada).I'm a big fan of the 210👍

broadcasting live from the LBC

Ricks raft
01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Still looking but with my budget under $20k, and my wants, great shape, good colors, bigger engine, reasonable hrs, 1998 or newer, I know I'm asking a lot and very few and far between. Thought the eliminator might work. I think I'd be happy with any of the top west coast brands, hallett, howard, eliminator, advantage, essexx, ultra( if I knew which ones were the quality manufactured ones), in the 21'-23' range.

riverrunner1984
01-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Still looking but with my budget under $20k, and my wants, great shape, good colors, bigger engine, reasonable hrs, 1998 or newer, I know I'm asking a lot and very few and far between. Thought the eliminator might work. I think I'd be happy with any of the top west coast brands, hallett, howard, eliminator, advantage, essexx, ultra( if I knew which ones were the quality manufactured ones), in the 21'-23' range.

Not sure if you have FB but Advantage boats just posted a 2004 21ft with 502 for sale. May be worth checking out. Here is a screen shot.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/9c6fb98c70e9f0a655e1ec73c59ae0e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks raft
01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Not sure if you have FB but Advantage boats just posted a 2004 21ft with 502 for sale. May be worth checking out. Here is a screen shot.
[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/9c6fb98c70e9f0a655e1ec73c59ae0e0.

Thanks for the heads up! Don't want to start a debate but not a fan of jets :)

riverrunner1984
01-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Don't want to start a debate but not a fan of jets :)

No worries. I hear ya on that one. I have a jet and wish I had a prop lol

shueman
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
If it's going to be a lake boat, I'd suggest at least a 230 Eagle...much more freeboard, molded swim step, etc.
An '05 like this beauty will cost you $30k+ in our SoCal area...

http://www.eliminatorboat.com/files/boat_images/tn_large/used_boat_541_tn2.jpg

SBS933
01-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Don't want to start a debate but not a fan of jets :) Iam, for one reason

Ricks raft
01-19-2015, 11:07 AM
If it's going to be a lake boat, I'd suggest at least a 230 Eagle...much more freeboard, molded swim step, etc.
An '05 like this beauty will cost you $30k+ in our SoCal area...

http://www.eliminatorboat.com/files/boat_images/tn_large/used_boat_541_tn2.jpg

thats a great looking boat! but well above my under $20k budget.

RogerThat99
01-19-2015, 11:21 AM
A Hallett Vector v-drive with a 454 just sold recently in the Sacramento area in your price range. Keep looking.

2manymustangs
01-19-2015, 12:18 PM
thats a great looking boat! but well above my under $20k budget.

21' rasoncraft cruiser hull all rebuilt and ready to drop in a BBC... Vdrive, super clean/nice...

THis is a great foundation to a very fast boat... It was still available as of a few weeks ago...

http://www.performanceboats.com/boats-sale/188418-1975-21-rayson-craft-less-engine.html

C-2
01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
You looking for turn-key, or some wrenching is ok?

ChumpChange
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
You looking for turn-key, or some wrenching is ok?

Depends on how much wrenching for the price. Keep talking.....

Ricks raft
01-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Though I respect a quality v drive, my wife wouldn't go for the open engine/drive shaft with our young kids, and it takes quite a bit of room out of the boat. Need an open bow in this size range. Although I did find a hallett 240 closed bow that she didn't disqualify yet:)
But I think this time I'll stay in the 21' range for simplicity in towing, maneuverability, and fuel use.

Ricks raft
01-19-2015, 07:14 PM
On a side note, i don't understand people that are selling stuff! I've called and emailed multiple time also through boat trader on a couple of boats with no response. One is even a dealer/ manufacturer. If you want to sell something and you pay for an add why would you not respond???

RogerThat99
01-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Though I respect a quality v drive, my wife wouldn't go for the open engine/drive shaft with our young kids, and it takes quite a bit of room out of the boat. Need an open bow in this size range. Although I did find a hallett 240 closed bow that she didn't disqualify yet:)
But I think this time I'll stay in the 21' range for simplicity in towing, maneuverability, and fuel use.

I missed the open bow part. At one time I was looking for a 21 open bow and they are hard to come by. There was a 21 Spectra open bow for sale a while back. I believe it was a jet with no motor.

Havasuing
01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Don't think you mentioned what price range you wanted to stay in -- that makes a big difference. As for the 21 Eagle XP, I'd give it high marks overall, just a little less interior room due to the somewhat narrower beam than some of the others in that size range. Should be a 60ish boat with a good 350 mag. You can't go wrong with a Hallett 210 or even the Vector -- both great boats. Same for the 21 Schiada but you're probably going to pay quite a bit more. If you want to stay in the 21-foot range, keep your eye out for an older 21 Caliber 1 (Cliff put together some nice boats at one time) or the 21 Cobra is good too. If you happen to stumble on to an Eliminator 236 Eagle XP -- buy it! Has the same bottom (running surface) as the 250 Eagle XP (just no extended integrated/Euro swim platform) and is an exceptional step-vee hull (the steps are very small compared to later ventilated bottoms, but it works great).

Ricks raft
01-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Don't think you mentioned what price range you wanted to stay in -- that makes a big difference. As for the 21 Eagle XP, I'd give it high marks overall, just a little less interior room due to the somewhat narrower beam than some of the others in that size range. Should be a 60ish boat with a good 350 mag. You can't go wrong with a Hallett 210 or even the Vector -- both great boats. Same for the 21 Schiada but you're probably going to pay quite a bit more. If you want to stay in the 21-foot range, keep your eye out for an older 21 Caliber 1 (Cliff put together some nice boats at one time) or the 21 Cobra is good too. If you happen to stumble on to an Eliminator 236 Eagle XP -- buy it! Has the same bottom (running surface) as the 250 Eagle XP (just no extended integrated/Euro swim platform) and is an exceptional step-vee hull (the steps are very small compared to later ventilated bottoms, but it works great).
Thanks, staying under $20k

HB Vic
01-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks, staying under $20k

I can't speak to the boats you've mentioned, never owned one. But I did own a 1986 21' Rogers with a 5.7OMC and I'll tell you this, I absolutely loved that boat. For its size it rode great. It also had (2) 35 gallon tanks, so I literally filled it up once or twice a season. One of the best boats I've ever owned. I think I paid $12K for it. But the joker who sold it forgot to tell me the drive had bad gears. Didn't find out until I really drove it good. So that was $3000-3500. But we used the boat for 3-5 years then sold it for $16K. Great boats, but hard to find now.

Ricks raft
01-21-2015, 01:49 PM

when you say older??? 1 see a few in my price range 2004-2006. I was under the impression caliber 1 was a big step down in quality from hallett, no? we all have opinions but from my expierence I would put hallett howard dcb schiada in the top tier of west coast boats, eliminator advantage essexx maybe a step down, ultra (I guess depending on who built/rigged it). then maybe commander caliber1. my criteria would be build quality, ride, functionality, resale value.

HB Vic
01-21-2015, 03:23 PM
when you say older??? 1 see a few in my price range 2004-2006. I was under the impression caliber 1 was a big step down in quality from hallett, no? we all have opinions but from my expierence I would put hallett howard dcb schiada in the top tier of west coast boats, eliminator advantage essexx maybe a step down, ultra (I guess depending on who built/rigged it). then maybe commander caliber1. my criteria would be build quality, ride, functionality, resale value.

Personally I don't think I would say any of the boats you mentioned are a step down. Especially the first four.

True story. Back in the day I was in the Caliber1 showroom trying my best to work a deal on a beautiful 21' jet boat. Just couldn't get the numbers right and it was the absolute height of the market. I then went to Commander and couldn't get what I wanted there either. Both choices really had nothing to do with quality, meaning at the time I felt they were both the same caliber as any of the others. I ended up going with a used Rogers. Then a couple years later I ordered a brand new DCB 24' Extreme.

Ricks raft
01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Good to know. I know schiada holds it's value, it's like a cult:) howard very good, hallett good. That's why it's hard to find a great price. When I said a step down, even though I don't buy new( even if I had the money) I don't want to take that kind of hit, I still looked at the manufacturers factory's. When I bought my last 2 boats 6 years and 11 years ago I looked at some of the others and found little things like carpet not glued behind seats, seat bases not completly resigned, wires not tied up were you couldn't see them etc... May not of affected build/hull quality but it made me question it. I've seen some other forums saying "Cliff" built good boats, I assume he was building in 2004-2006?

Ricks raft
01-21-2015, 10:38 PM
I can't speak to the boats you've mentioned, never owned one. But I did own a 1986 21' Rogers with a 5.7OMC and I'll tell you this, I absolutely loved that boat. For its size it rode great. It also had (2) 35 gallon tanks, so I literally filled it up once or twice a season. One of the best boats I've ever owned. I think I paid $12K for it. But the joker who sold it forgot to tell me the drive had bad gears. Didn't find out until I really drove it good. So that was $3000-3500. But we used the boat for 3-5 years then sold it for $16K. Great boats, but hard to find now.

I agree my 84 bahner 20.5 with volvo 350 144 blower big ol 290 outdrive was not the quality of my hallett, but it was the most fun, 65ish mph, a bullet out of the hole, and toss it around all you wanted and never brake loose with that big Ron hill elephant ear prop.
We'll my families 75 16' outboard with the first merc v6 200 on the west coast was a blast too.