PDA

View Full Version : Home Brewers Thread... Wine/Mead/Beer/Pulque

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Any favorite recipies/yeast?

I have some red star montrachet going, some 05 safale, some lager (cant recall the #) all in various cider/pseudo-pulque recipies...

Mrs.K034
01-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Any favorite recipies/yeast?

I have some red star montrachet going, some 05 safale, some lager (cant recall the #) all in various cider/pseudo-pulque recipies...

Show off! Lol. [emoji12] I'll stick to the BL & JD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverrunner1984
01-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I had cider for the first time last year when I was in England. I thought that stuff was really good!

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I had cider for the first time last year when I was in England. I thought that stuff was really good!

super easy for starters... 1 gallon of PASTURIZED, no additives apple juice, one cup of corn sugar (or 3/4 cup brown sugar), 1/2 package of red start montrachet and air lock it... after 1-2 weeks (depending on bubbles) add a kick starter of sugar syrup made from your original starter IF you wanna make it sparkle... and wait...

waiting is the hard part...

most apple juice jugs take a 7.5 or 8.5 bored stopper... since it's pasturized its super easy since your fermenting in the jug you bought it in...

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Show off! Lol. [emoji12] I'll stick to the BL & JD.

WOud you rather Baileys? ;)

riverrunner1984
01-14-2015, 10:58 AM
super easy for starters... 1 gallon of PASTURIZED, no additives apple juice, one cup of corn sugar (or 3/4 cup brown sugar), 1/2 package of red start montrachet and air lock it... after 1-2 weeks (depending on bubbles) add a kick starter of sugar syrup made from your original starter IF you wanna make it sparkle... and wait...

most apple juice jugs take a 7.5 or 8.5 bored stopper... since it's pasturized its super easy since your fermenting in the jug you bought it in...

Is the effort to make it worth it or is it just easier to buy it and taste the same?

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Is the effort to make it worth it or is it just easier to buy it and taste the same?

I dunno if you can even buy Apfelwein (German Hard Cider)...

It's a tradition for us Germans here in Missouri...

riverrunner1984
01-14-2015, 12:20 PM
I dunno if you can even buy Apfelwein (German Hard Cider)...

It's a tradition for us Germans here in Missouri...

Now your talking right up my ally lol.
So the recipe you posted, that's for your apfelwein???

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Now your talking right up my ally lol.
So the recipe you posted, that's for your apfelwein???

Its basically it, fermented hard cider... :) Ideally you have fresh ground/pressed cider but, since this is pasturized (if you buy the right brand) it makes it much easier... The yeast and sugar you use, and your process impacts the dryness/flava/ABV... ;)

Mrs.K034
01-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Sounds like fun to try!

riverbound
01-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I just tried my first batch of beer. Using a mr beer kit. Not sure if I did it right but it's been cold here and it said to keep above 65 degrees. So giving it a couple extra days.

Pretty sure I screwed up. But figured I would try with cheap and easy stuff before upping my game.

Mrs.K034
01-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I just tried my first batch of beer. Using a mr beer kit. Not sure if I did it right but it's been cold here and it said to keep above 65 degrees. So giving it a couple extra days.

Pretty sure I screwed up. But figured I would try with cheap and easy stuff before upping my game.

Good idea!!

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 06:18 AM

Lager yeast likes MUCHO colder temps, as proof, I used lager yeast in some pizza dough which was refrigerated for 48 hours and it worked like a champ...

Do you know what yeast you are using?

Lager can make a funky sulphur smell for the first phase of fermentation but that will go away... Ale yeast is mucho more sensitive to temps and will need 60+ for sure...

What makes you think that you messed it up? the smell?

You can always kick start the brew with more sugar/nutrient/yeast... How big of a batch do you have going???

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 06:19 AM
Sounds like fun to try!

HARD cider is yummy / easy to make, and especially good warm if you spike it with something like honey america (wild turkey)... OR everclear...

riverbound
01-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Lager yeast likes MUCHO colder temps, as proof, I used lager yeast in some pizza dough which was refrigerated for 48 hours and it worked like a champ...

Do you know what yeast you are using?

Lager can make a funky sulphur smell for the first phase of fermentation but that will go away... Ale yeast is mucho more sensitive to temps and will need 60+ for sure...

What makes you think that you messed it up? the smell?

You can always kick start the brew with more sugar/nutrient/yeast... How big of a batch do you have going???

Well that's good the. As I'm trying out a lager. It didn't look right a couple days ago. Bottled it last night and it looked And smelled good. So I might be good.

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Well that's good the. As I'm trying out a lager. It didn't look right a couple days ago. Bottled it last night and it looked And smelled good. So I might be good.

Oh, excellente'... It can be cloudy for any number of reasons if thats the case...

I have a gallon of "pseudo pulque" going that was started with lager yeast and was 6 days done, and it was almost as clear as the spring water I started with, yesterday I messed with it and kick started it with more agave nectar/tangerine juice/pulp and its super cloudy-orange but working like mad again... I added the tangerine juice/pulp as a nutrient mainly and not to flava it...

Pulque is kind of a PREcurser to what is distilled into mezcal/tequila I think... Made from blue agave plant parts (i think)...

HB Vic
01-15-2015, 07:39 PM
My boy got me a kit for Christmas, can't wait to start cooking

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
My boy got me a kit for Christmas, can't wait to start cooking

Thats a cool gift... :thumb: