PDA

View Full Version : Building a Boat with my Boy!

ChumpChange
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Finished this gem today. Ran a couple teats on the rug. He already knows to bring the out drives up when he puts it on the trailer.

HB Vic
01-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Nice [emoji106][emoji106]

The Doctor
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
I've heard it said that no other success can compensate for failure in the home. You're doing it right my man! Sooner than you know you'll be stepping it up to the next level. Ask me how I know. :D

http://www.wannaberacing.com/gram.jpg
http://www.wannaberacing.com/smiller.jpg

CampbellCarl
01-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Finished this gem today. Ran a couple teats on the rug. He already knows to bring the out drives up when he puts it on the trailer.

Huh? Teats? Maybe Tests?

Ziggy
01-09-2015, 12:21 AM
That's awesome stuff right there![emoji106] [emoji106]
Teaching the basics during play time is invaluable. As elementary as this seems to us our kids absorb EVERYTHING we tell them. The traits we show them will be there a lifetime. When age approppriate he will only need to learn how physically to do the things he already knows to do in his mind. It removes panic.

riverrunner1984
01-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Awesome! I loved Legos as a kid! Whenever we go to the Mills I check in the Lego store to see what's new lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
01-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Niceeeeeeeeee :action-smiley-035:

Brandon and I would spend all day Saturday sometimes building with his legos, at one point we inherited two MINDSTORMS kits and took it all to a new level...

Building pulling tractors/crawlers was out thing, he learned about gear reductions / multipliers and pulley/belt reductions, sometimes as much as 100/1 ratio which worked great for making pulling trucks/tractors/cranes...

cam movements / pushrods...

Lego's are awesome... Keep him going Mateo...

ChumpChange
01-09-2015, 10:38 AM
This was his first Lego kit from Christmas. His two older sisters have almost all of the "freinds" kits that Legos makes. They are definitely fun and a lot more precise than the boxes of random pieces that I had as a kid. I didn't have many of them though.

Always a fun time playing after work.

2manymustangs
01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
This was his first Lego kit from Christmas. His two older sisters have almost all of the "freinds" kits that Legos makes. They are definitely fun and a lot more precise than the boxes of random pieces that I had as a kid. I didn't have many of them though.

Always a fun time playing after work.

we initially purchased some smaller kits that had motors/pulleys/gears and a batter box w/forward-reverse switch that has the bumps so it can be part of what you create, it holds like 4-6 AA batteries... After that when we recieved the MINDSTORM kits it had TONS of gears/tires/motors/pulleys/belts...

We found a supplier where we purchased the belts when they would break...

At one point we did have a pirate ship/boat that floated and we added a motor/prop... :D

Sorry, no pics from those days I think, well, maybe one or two somewhere...

Great for the kids mind!!!

Lookd at DOCs sons and where it leads... ;)

chevellesb406
01-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Niceeeeeeeeee :action-smiley-035:

Brandon and I would spend all day Saturday sometimes building with his legos, at one point we inherited two MINDSTORMS kits and took it all to a new level...

Building pulling tractors/crawlers was out thing, he learned about gear reductions / multipliers and pulley/belt reductions, sometimes as much as 100/1 ratio which worked great for making pulling trucks/tractors/cranes...

cam movements / pushrods...

Lego's are awesome... Keep him going Mateo...

I did the lego thing forever as a kid, my engineer father definitely encouraged it with us. What really opened my eyes to "how things work" was when I got a Contructs kit. At 6 years old I suddenly understood gear ratios. If I flipped one drive unit one way it had a really high top speed (gear multiplier) but it couldn't go up the ramp I built. Turn it the other way, and suddenly I got a wicked rock crawler :) No top speed but would go up anything. The light switch went on so to speak. I am glad my nephews are into all this stuff as well, I want more future hot rodders and boaters rather than gamers.

2manymustangs
01-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I did the lego thing forever as a kid, my engineer father definitely encouraged it with us. What really opened my eyes to "how things work" was when I got a Contructs kit. At 6 years old I suddenly understood gear ratios. If I flipped one drive unit one way it had a really high top speed (gear multiplier) but it couldn't go up the ramp I built. Turn it the other way, and suddenly I got a wicked rock crawler :) No top speed but would go up anything. The light switch went on so to speak. I am glad my nephews are into all this stuff as well, I want more future hot rodders and boaters rather than gamers.

:thumbsUp: thats what im talking about!!!

Where ya been friend??? :)

chevellesb406
01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
:thumbsUp: thats what im talking about!!!

Where ya been friend??? :)

Kept the kit of course too, they play with it. Just been in the garage cranking out some cornhole sets to get some cash together to start a new interior for the boat. The mortgage and other adult bills eat up my paycheck, so fun money has to come from somewhere. The chevelle could use some love as well.

As strange as it is, I really hope this lego movie's success actually gets more kids into this kinda stuff, it seriously pay dividends later in life, I fear the next generation that can't change a flat tire or do basic home maintenance. I don't expect everyone to dive in dork out on mechanical stuff like all of us like minded folks, but I am sure playing with stuff like this will teach them more than they ever realize.

2manymustangs
01-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Kept the kit of course too, they play with it. Just been in the garage cranking out some cornhole sets to get some cash together to start a new interior for the boat. The mortgage and other adult bills eat up my paycheck, so fun money has to come from somewhere. The chevelle could use some love as well.

As strange as it is, I really hope this lego movie's success actually gets more kids into this kinda stuff, it seriously pay dividends later in life, I fear the next generation that can't change a flat tire or do basic home maintenance. I don't expect everyone to dive in dork out on mechanical stuff like all of us like minded folks, but I am sure playing with stuff like this will teach them more than they ever realize.

I agree on our future generation... At a minimum, one hour playing with legos is one hour NOT playing video games... :D