PDA

View Full Version : Which vest and why?

MrDenton
12-06-2014, 03:36 AM
Security Race Products (SRP) or Lifeline?
Will be running a Bezer w/650hp. River play boat. I see there's a slight price difference, but what's a couple hundred dollars when it comes to safety.

Oath Keeper

Sharp shooter
12-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I haven't bought a vest yet either and it's a tough decision. There's plenty of cheerleaders on both sides of the fence.

MrDenton
12-06-2014, 06:24 PM
That is soooo true. I may not "race", but I will be running race speeds out at Needles. I want to get the best I can for me. Just had a talk with my engine/boat builder, he says without a doubt Lifeline.

Oath Keeper

HB Vic
12-06-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm on the fence with my Lifelines. I'm not sure I'm in love with the collar. It's very uncomfortable. I think if it felt better I would be inclined to wear it more often. Then again maybe that's just how they all feel. I also like to wear my hat backwards and the dollar pushes my hat off. Not sure if SRP's are the same, but I'm interested in finding out. Not trying to put comfort over safety, just saying as a casual boater who cruises 80-90+ on a regular basis, a more comfortable jacket would make it easier to wear more often.

MrDenton
12-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I get the comfort thing, but I can't see not buying the best because of an annoyance. Painful uncomfort is totally different. I've never worn either so I'm just speculating.
Sharp Shooter! I can't believe you still haven't bought one.

Oath Keeper

djunkie
12-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I like my lifeline.

314joey
12-07-2014, 07:40 AM
I've worn the lifeline and they're not that uncomfortable, we usually only cruise 40-50 so it's not that important to me, I'm getting slow and pokey in my old age, but love looking at the ladies in bikinis. :partyguy:

Sharp shooter
12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I get the comfort thing, but I can't see not buying the best because of an annoyance. Painful uncomfort is totally different. I've never worn either so I'm just speculating.
Sharp Shooter! I can't believe you still haven't bought one.

Oath Keeper

Yeah, I need to get off my ass and get something instead of continually borrowing stuff. I have an order form from SRP around here somewhere. I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking for the safest jacket available.

Mrs.K034
12-07-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm on the fence with my Lifelines. I'm not sure I'm in love with the collar. It's very uncomfortable. I think if it felt better I would be inclined to wear it more often. Then again maybe that's just how they all feel. I also like to wear my hat backwards and the dollar pushes my hat off. Not sure if SRP's are the same, but I'm interested in finding out. Not trying to put comfort over safety, just saying as a casual boater who cruises 80-90+ on a regular basis, a more comfortable jacket would make it easier to wear more often.

Vic, 80-90mph on a regular basis is enough to kill you IF and accident does happen, you should always be wearing it. (Don't want to loose you) and the collar on the Lifeline is deigned the way it is so if to do get tossed out in a race with a helmet on, the force of the water doesn't pull your head off with the helmet. Chris has worn both, SRP and Lifeline, and is for Lifeline all the way. Lifeline has more padding and floatation for added safety and has more in the front, so if you are tossed out and unconscious, you will float face up, not down left to drown. Gotta love Chris Kenner at SRP, he's a great guy, but when it comes to safety, Lifeline is the way to go. Also, you can have them made without the collar on them, but for Mr. Denton, he should be wearing a helmet out there anyways, so the collar makes it much safer. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Vic
12-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Vic, 80-90mph on a regular basis is enough to kill you IF and accident does happen, you should always be wearing it. (Don't want to loose you) and the collar on the Lifeline is deigned the way it is so if to do get tossed out in a race with a helmet on, the force of the water doesn't pull your head off with the helmet. Chris has worn both, SRP and Lifeline, and is for Lifeline all the way. Lifeline has more padding and floatation for added safety and has more in the front, so if you are tossed out and unconscious, you will float face up, not down left to drown. Gotta love Chris Kenner at SRP, he's a great guy, but when it comes to safety, Lifeline is the way to go. Also, you can have them made without the collar on them, but for Mr. Denton, he should be wearing a helmet out there anyways, so the collar makes it much safer. IMO.

50, 40 or even 30 can kill you. I don't sustain those speeds and I'm not racing. My toon will do 60 and I do 50 in it sustained.

With my luck I'll get t-boned in the Raptor on a 25mph street and the air bag will snap my neck :D

Probably don't want to get in to the whole jacket debate lol. All I'm saying is if my jackets were a little more comfortable I would probably wear them more often and for longer periods of time.

Sharp shooter
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Mr Kenner told me they could add more floatation to the front of the jacket if desired. I haven't seen an SRP done like that but it's something I would consider.

2manymustangs
12-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Serious topic for sure that deserves MUCHO consideration for the sake of our family/loved ones/friends...

I don't recall the brand off the top of my head but look at Andrew RIverGameS vest pic he posted in the 2014 in review pic thread... I don't know the speed at the time of impact, maybe Andrew or someone can share that info...

Lets have a look at his pics in that thread and think about the potential for serious injury, we don't wanna loose ANYONE ELSE EVER, in a race OR in a playtime situation...

:action-smiley-035:

rivergames
12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Fellas, My Lifeline vest and gear was cut off me from the rescue. I have gotten wet 3 times now. Each time the Lifeline jacket safely keeps my head protruded out of the water. I hands down will NEVER race with any other gear besides Lifeline. I am not hear to talk any shit, but I have heard horror stories in regards to other manufactures. When it comes to living another day, IMO, lifeline is the only way to go.

Tell Ken @ Lifeline Andrew with the P550 cracker told him to hook you guys up! Haha

djunkie
12-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Fellas, My Lifeline vest and gear was cut off me from the rescue. I have gotten wet 3 times now. Each time the Lifeline jacket safely keeps my head protruded out of the water. I hands down will NEVER race with any other gear besides Lifeline. I am not hear to talk any shit, but I have heard horror stories in regards to other manufactures. When it comes to living another day, IMO, lifeline is the only way to go.

First hand experience right here. Good enough to convince me. [emoji106][emoji106]

rivergames
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
And another thing to add, I running on the river full speed with a helmet and jacket... I'm 99% sure the lifeline helmet restraints saved me neck from being snapped off by he deck.

A quick pass, I probably won't throw them on, but If I am going for a few GOOD passes, I would throw the helmet restraints on to hopefully save myself from being a vegetable

MrDenton
12-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks Andy. Hope all is well with you.

Oath Keeper

HB Vic
12-08-2014, 12:34 PM

We don't want you testing those jackets anymore dude. You're starting to scare me :D

Stay dry my friend

rivergames
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
We don't want you testing those jackets anymore dude. You're starting to scare me :D

Stay dry my friend

Haha thanks Vic. I try to stay dry, but sometimes, shit happens!

Thanks Andy. Hope all is well with you.

Oath Keeper

Doing good bud! Laying a new one up. Time to get my rigging mentality on. How's yours coming along?

2manymustangs
12-08-2014, 01:02 PM

TY for the clarification MR Games... I couldnt tell from the picture for certain if it was cut or if there was damage...

How fast do you estimate you were going upon impact? NOT counting bouncing off the deck...

rivergames
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
TY for the clarification MR Games... I couldnt tell from the picture for certain if it was cut or if there was damage...

How fast do you estimate you were going upon impact? NOT counting bouncing off the deck...

Considering I don't remember that day or 3 weeks after, hard to say. Although I was told it was close to the far turn, but not there yet. That means that would be down the strait, winding her up and hammering down the throttle. So probably somewhere between 90-95

MrDenton
12-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Andy, it's at S&S getting finished up. It'll be ready to get wet by January 1.

Oath Keeper

wannabe
12-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I started with SRP with my funny-car stuff. The best race suit I have ever owned. They make great stuff, as does lifeline. Take care of the stuff and either will last for a long time. And don't wear shoes that are super buoyant. When your shoes are huge with flotation, your feet float and can keep your face down. When the shoes sink, the jackets will roll you over to where your face is out of the water. It is the little things. Make sure you listen to the old timers that have seen it all.

ONE-A-DAY
12-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Lifeline - Kent is always in the pits at all of the races, great customer service and tech support. He came to my house to let me test the new air system in my pool before buying one.

hyperpasta
12-11-2014, 03:32 PM
One question.....

Does any of these companies make a USCG approved jacket? I saw a line that the Poker Run jacket was non USCG approved. That jacket look like it would be a big seller for most guys. I think I heard that the lifeline Chute Jacket wasn't USCG approved either.

If so....

How do you make the "Coasties" happy?

Are any of these Jackets USCG Legal?

RogerThat99
12-11-2014, 04:30 PM
One question.....

Does any of these companies make a USCG approved jacket? I saw a line that the Poker Run jacket was non USCG approved. That jacket look like it would be a big seller for most guys. I think I heard that the lifeline Chute Jacket wasn't USCG approved either.

If so....

How do you make the "Coasties" happy?

Are any of these Jackets USCG Legal?

I don't believe any Lifelines are USCG approved. I have been pulled over wearing one and never gotten a ticket (you can always carry a cheapo orange vest which will satisfy the approved vest part).

If you are just looking for a Poker Run jacket, West Marine sells a vest my Mustang Survival that is rated to 100mph. I am sure that is USCG approved, or West Marine wouldn't be selling it.

MrDenton
12-11-2014, 05:53 PM
My guess to the SRP and Lifeline not be USCG approved would be [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383] needed for testing. Even though they both probably meet and exceed the standard.

Oath Keeper

hyperpasta
12-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys.

I thought I heard something along those lines, but never saw a thread on this subject. I just mentioned the Poker Run vest because it was plainly described as a Non USCG approved vest. I need to purchase a couple quality vests for the wife and myself for our new Runnerbottom.

I get the quality of the vests mentioned as I was part of the Lucas Dragboat series this year. These vests work! It just seems so odd that you can spend so much for a product and not get the certification.

This is one of the moments in life where you get what you pay for "safety" and some "Federal Suit and Tie" type guy has something else to say about it. Go figure?

Roaddogg 4040
01-02-2015, 11:25 PM
To add my two cents Andrew and Candice have a great point about the Lifeline jackets floating you face up. I have a Lifeline too.

Steve

fdlock890
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I did a ton of research before I purchased my life jacket. I went with LifeLine as well. Kent is great to deal with and yes he is always around at the races (in Parker). I spoke with numerous racers that had used both jackets and the majority were running LifeLine for a few reasons.

1) Safety, they float you face up. Kent advised me to get fully dressed as if I was ready to jump in my boat and go. Then, jump into a body of water and see what happens. It was pretty eye opening.

2) Function, the leg bands and the cut of the jacket.

3) Comfort, most everyone that I spoke with that wore both Jackets preferred the LifeLine jacket over the SRP.

Good luck Greg, and choose wisely. They are a huge investment.

Lock

MrDenton
01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks Lock. Talked to Kent before Christmas. I'm buying one from him. Sending my measurements in tomorrow.

Oath Keeper

fdlock890
01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Awesome buddy. See you in Needles....

MrDenton
01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Lifeline it is...sent in the order form today.

Oath Keeper

Mrs.K034
01-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Lifeline it is...sent in the order form today.

Oath Keeper

Nice!! [emoji3]

MrDenton
01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Comp vest with ballistic shorts. Not sure I need that much protection for a measly 650hp, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need and not have it. Besides I left some [emoji383] in the till for these.

Oath Keeper

2manymustangs
01-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Awesome buddy. See you in Needles....

Great to see your post here Lock... Welcome sir!!! :thumb:

Comp vest with ballistic shorts. Not sure I need that much protection for a measly 650hp, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need and not have it. Besides I left some [emoji383] in the till for these.

Oath Keeper

:thumb:

When in doubt, GO OVERKILL, I always say... ;)

Fashion show Greg, fashion show!!!!

MrDenton
01-13-2015, 02:36 PM
It'll be a couple weeks. Not too sure the shorts will be very fashion worthy.

Oath Keeper

rivergames
01-13-2015, 06:02 PM
It'll be a couple weeks. Not too sure the shorts will be very fashion worthy.

Oath Keeper

You can ditch the shorts and go with the ballistic pants. I did and they are bad ass....Errr.... were bad ass... I need to give Kent a call and completely get new gear

MrDenton
01-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Why pants over shorts? Protection while you're being ejected?

Oath Keeper

Mrs.K034
01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Why pants over shorts? Protection while you're being ejected?

Oath Keeper

Pants are more "fashion show worthy" lol

2manymustangs
01-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Pants are more "fashion show worthy" lol

CandACE, doesn't that depend on how sexy Greg's legs are??? ;)

Mrs.K034
01-14-2015, 10:27 AM
CandACE, doesn't that depend on how sexy Greg's legs are??? ;)

This is true lol.

MrDenton
01-15-2015, 12:37 AM
A little white and little furry...what, it January.

Oath Keeper

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 10:14 AM
A little white and little furry...what, it January.

Oath Keeper

Nothing a spray tan and a fresh wax cant fix, in a matter of hours... :thumbsUp:

MrDenton
01-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Wife waxed my chest and stomach once...ONCE! Holy schnikey's that sucked.

Oath Keeper

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Wife waxed my chest and stomach once...ONCE! Holy schnikey's that sucked.

Oath Keeper

OUCHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :schreck:

fdlock890
01-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks Bruce, It is always good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and the family. When is your next trip out this way?

2manymustangs
01-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks Bruce, It is always good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and the family. When is your next trip out this way?

Possibly the needles event, maybe sooner depending on things at my inlaws... :)

I'm still wanting the autograph from Mr Grich, sorry I never did send the sticker to you after getting your mailing address...

MrDenton
01-23-2015, 05:07 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/87f354fef045eb677f8bdcc36e627a5e.jpg
BAM!!!!!!

Oath Keeper

sangermike
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
has anyone used(not for racing or a hot flat) the automatic inflatable vests. I'm going to become responsible when I boat but all the vests I've tried are not very comfortable. Its for a v drive mini cruiser

RogerThat99
02-02-2015, 07:26 PM
I have worn them and they are very comfortable to wear...I am just not sure how well it would stay on if you hit the water at speed.

RogerThat99
02-02-2015, 07:27 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/87f354fef045eb677f8bdcc36e627a5e.jpg
BAM!!!!!!

Oath Keeper

BAM!!! Very nice set up. You will be happy with that.

sangermike
02-02-2015, 10:14 PM
thanks for the info

MrDenton
02-02-2015, 10:17 PM
We wore them in the USCG. They were called a May West. I've seen a lot of bass fisherman wearing them lately. Their boats are pretty F'n fast too.

Oath Keeper

2manymustangs
02-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Hey Greg, are you going to unveil M.M. at the Needles event??? :)

MrDenton
02-03-2015, 01:32 PM
That's the plan. But it's unfortunately out of my hands.

Oath Keeper