PDA

View Full Version : Performance Engine Build...

2manymustangs
11-07-2014, 04:54 PM
When building a HIGH PERFORMANCE engine for your boat, be sure to have your machine shop set up the bottom end with .030" clearance on the main journals and .050" clearance on the rod journals if you want GREAT oil pressure and want your engine/lower end to live...

:thumb:

Also, run a 1050 dominator with soft touch linkage on any engine from 289 inches up to 350 inches... and be sure to buy the biggest hydraulic roller cam your $$$ can buy, dont worry about stock heads, they will do just fine...

It will SCREAM...

bb88
11-07-2014, 06:26 PM
When building a HIGH PERFORMANCE engine for your boat, be sure to have your machine shop set up the bottom end with .030" clearance on the main journals and .050" clearance on the rod journals if you want GREAT oil pressure and want your engine/lower end to live...

Also, run a 1050 dominator with soft touch linkage on any engine from 289 inches up to 350 inches... and be sure to buy the biggest hydraulic roller cam your $$$ can buy, dont worry about stock heads, they will do just fine...

It will SCREAM...

Thank you for the Hotboat.com post. Welcome to the boards. You will soon find out your post, although perfectly related to what the site Hotboat.com "should" be about, will now move down the new post oblivion. Enjoy the Fireball thread during your stay here at Hotboat.com.

Sharp shooter
11-07-2014, 06:49 PM

It will SCREAM...

I'm building a 460 Ford with stock E7TE heads. Do you think this engine will work with well my Comp Cams Xtreme energy XR294HR? I'm thinking the Holley 2 barrel off my old 78 mustang should top things off perfectly too. :thumb:

hoofy
11-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Sure glad I didn't have advise from you guys when building my engine.

HotWater
11-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm building a 460 Ford with stock E7TE heads. Do you think this engine will work with well my Comp Cams Xtreme energy XR294HR? I'm thinking the Holley 2 barrel off my old 78 mustang should top things off perfectly too. :thumb:

Is that the same as a 3/4 race cam? If so it should work great!

hoofy
11-07-2014, 07:28 PM
What's a 3/4 Race cam, only run 990 ft.?

HotWater
11-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Yep, custom grind for the new track layouts.

Sharp shooter
11-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Is that the same as a 3/4 race cam? If so it should work great!

It would've been back when that term was hot. lol

CampbellCarl
11-07-2014, 08:42 PM

When you can't quite afford a full race cam.....

Uncle Dave
11-07-2014, 11:28 PM

Or when you only race 3 out of 4 nights......

2manymustangs
11-08-2014, 08:23 AM
:D

Disclaimer, my OP was made tongue in cheek...

My hope is that someone would DEbunk the total BS that I put into that post, with real info...

Sharp shooter
11-08-2014, 08:35 AM

My hope is that someone would DEbunk the total BS that I put into that post, with real info...

What? I thought you were serious? I wasted a ton of money thanks to you! I need a Vodka and cran....:indifferent0001:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ef/d0/d6/efd0d6195b971b50754c5ca78db4e66a.jpg

gn7
11-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Great!! Now what do I do with the 2X rod bearings I bought trying to get to .050.
Why isn't this thread in the engine tech forum where it belongs. Oh, maybe because there isn't one???

HB Vic
11-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Great!! Now what do I do with the 2X rod bearings I bought trying to get to .050.
Why isn't this thread in the engine tech forum where it belongs. Oh, maybe because there isn't one???

Easily fixed ...

gn7
11-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Easily fixed ...

Return the bearings?

HotWater
11-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Return the bearings?

Might as well, don't even need bearing's for those clearances, just float em on some 70wt nitro oil.

Uncle Dave
11-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Pretty sure thats whats going on hoss....

Next question is- can anyone really build an outdrive friendly marine ford?

They seem a lot like bigfoot and atlantis.

I see fuzzy pictures and stories but never see the real thing at the lake or in the ocean.

UD

gn7
11-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Pretty sure thats what going on hoss....

I see fuzzy pictures and stories but never see the real thing at the lake or in the ocean.

UD

There's been couple built using BBF. Volvo used Ford 351s in front of their King Cobra drive

Merc/GMC just has a lock on the market.

You don't see a lot of v-drives either. BBF are jet motor engines:shock:

Uncle Dave
11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
There's been couple built using BBF. Volvo used Ford 351s in front of their King Cobra drive

Merc/GMC just has a lock on the market.

You don't see a lot of v-drives either. BBF are jet motor engines:shock:

Now that you remember it I mention those "casper milquetoast" factory combos back then.
Buddy had a 4 winns liberator 201 with a ford cobra I thought was cool when I had no money.

Im saving for a 3rd "engine" that will fit both my rides. Seem like lots of potential from the F troop, but nobody that has a combo seems to be on these threads.

Never see em in Marina Del Rey, Long Beach, Havasu, Parker, Mead, Mojave... To bad as it seems the right guy could give me a roaring bastard of a mill.

UD

2manymustangs
11-08-2014, 10:24 AM

:lmao1: Im glad to see that my subtle humor wasn't lost on EVERYONE ^^^... :lmao1:

Pretty sure thats whats going on hoss....

UD

BroHAM, this (from CNC motorsports) is the 347 build I was telling you about. He gives up quite a bit of the secrets on his cam specs and I think that the customer gives up even more of the cam details in the comments. I have slightly less duration, slightly more lift and around 110-112 lobe separation from an off the shelf hydraulic roller (using a top quality lifter).
http://youtu.be/gTZWqL93Qmw
Add another 55-75 cubic inches and......
http://youtu.be/19zpjLmFNJc

http://youtu.be/pjc5ituuHvc

http://youtu.be/f2x0fMszj58

Uncle Dave
11-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Not a single wet exhaust build thats running in a boat.
Then running wide open in said boat till the tanks run dry.

All dyno shots. That I can find-

Where are the Ford powered boats outside of Jet and V?

UD

Uncle Dave
11-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Don't feel bad Mustang. It could be worse. You could be an LS/ LSX fan.

The LS guys are still kinda the same place as that platform glacially creeps into boating.

Every chevy guy on the planet swears they can build them for nothing and that they last forever at full output.

But I never see them in boats.

Took Ilmor a full year from announcement to put out a packaged mill on that platform and they said the oiling system flat out wasn't up to up to the task without major work, but you never hear the backyard guy mention that.

Seems everyone else knows better than Ilmor though.

UD

PS: ....this oughta "rile up the place"

gn7
11-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Not a single wet exhaust build thats running in a boat.
Then running wide open in said boat till the tanks run dry.

All dyno shots. That I can find-

UD

Glad to see there is another person aside from myself that isn't woooo'd by dyno vids.
Problem as I see it is things like decent offshore type exhaust manifolds, Custom tube exhaust is a fortune, No readily available front accessory drives packages. The 460 and 351 blocks will a ton of power, and the engine parts are available. Just a lack of decent marine exterior pieces to do it at reasonable cost.

Uncle Dave
11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Glad to see there is another person aside from myself that isn't woooo'd by dyno vids.
Problem as I see it is things like decent offshore type exhaust manifolds, Custom tube exhaust is a fortune, No readily available front accessory drives packages. The 460 and 351 blocks will a ton of power, and the engine parts are available. Just a lack of decent marine exterior pieces to do it at reasonable cost.

Yup - the ratio of chevy to ford for headers and manifolds is huge.

The ratio for "real tubes" is even "huger".

Tubes and tails for my V10 cost a heart stopping 7K retail but thats what it takes to get an NA pump gas mill to 1.38HP perCI and still be tractable with decent idle quality.

I fear replacement day like a protracted root canal.

Mustang anybody got a kaase mill on a set of tubes yet?

UD

2manymustangs
11-08-2014, 06:04 PM
I had to do some fab/engineering on my front/rear mounts but was able to score most all parts needed from one guy on eBAY that had a decent set of wet/vdrive 429/460 bassets, timing cover, magnaflow pump, bellhousing. I have less than 1k in all the parts needed to convert my sanger from bbC to BBF including new flexplate and new PTO flange.

I'm a poor boy and have to shop at the second hand store... :)

I'm not exactly WOOOOed by the dyno pull videos but it's good enuff proof for me that I can get a solid 500HP out of my 347 with the right tune/cam that will purrrrr like a kitten... With my 4:11 gears and the viper spec T56 six speed it will be WAY more than a hand full...

There were some decent fords running at Long Beach over the years, one of the most memorable I recall was the little Lavey "Nutmegger" that was running a windsor ford I believe (maybe it was a cleveland, not sure)... Sharpshooter or GN7 may know what kind of ford mill he was running but I can tell you it was no slouch...

We could always take a trip to see Joe Sherman and you could continue down the SBC path since already have the SBC hardware... http://www.joeshermanracing.com/347_ford_full_race_engine_combo_16.html

gn7
11-08-2014, 09:17 PM

UD

I guess this shot over your head.

BTW, the boat in the pictures you posted couldn't make over 350HP if the dyno was aimed downhill

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 06:07 AM
I guess this shot over your head.

BTW, the boat in the pictures you posted couldn't make over 350HP if the dyno was aimed downhill

Ok, how about this one then.... ;)

gn7
11-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Next question is- can anyone really build an outdrive friendly marine ford

UD

Next time you're in L.A. we will sit down over donuts and I will explain to you the difference between jet, v drive and I/O.
Now stop being a jerk trying to defend your cherished Fords.

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Next time you're in L.A. we will sit down over donuts and I will explain to you the difference between jet, v drive and I/O.
Now stop being a jerk trying to defend your cherished Fords.

Doughnuts? Promise? Carson & Orange has the best...

gn7
11-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Doughnuts? Promise? Carson & Orange has the best...

Only if you promise to stop being a dimwitted child about Fords in I/Os.

I can post pics of Olds, Pontiac, Buick and Mopar jets and v drives. Doesn't make any of them suitable or friendly for I/O use. It would just make me an idiot.

Seriously, I don't think you can help yourself, so I am not going to hold my breath about the donuts.

Uncle Dave
11-09-2014, 08:49 AM
I love V drives, and thats a bitchin rig in your post.
I even find jets a good time on the lower river if a bit expensive on fuel - and if looking to power rigs like that I would be open to all sensible alternative power to chebby.

I also get that lots of guys think you can't have a "hot boat" without a vdrive, or a jet because I/O Imposes too many restrictions.

Thing is I have 2 outdrive boats now and need a 3rd mill for the inevitable, and because its simply time for a new project, and it has to have enough manners to swap into either, with enough beans to shove a 30ft boat around.

My small block's pretty stout, but would have a hard time shoving that 2750 around with authority, so I was thinking something well mannered with about 600HP.

I'm open to a Ford Setup that would work. If someone - anyone- can show me some actual examples in a boat vs. on a dyno.
I just can't find any wet exhaust combos that idle at (or better yet below) 1K, and stabilize at low RPM load, at least that anybody is willing to talk about.

Just about any builder can make any mill roar with -0- manner or fuel restrictions - hell I can do that.

It's kind of a bummer I know they can rock balls and hold up.
I just hate pioneering combos in boats, and prefer to do what guys have already proven.

I'm not convinced Shermans kid is the builder the old man was. I've seen more than one "oil burner" come out of Shermans shop.

Im also not convinced in my situation it pays to "get different" , but I'm all ears and ready to learn should guys with experience ever decide to step out of the shadows.

UD

On another front - That box-o-doghnuts you showed up with the morning of the evo test run was killer - whoever pumped those babies out was a true doughnut connoisseur

HB Vic
11-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I love these 👍48504

Sharp shooter
11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I've always thought it would be fun to grab a 302 powered tri hull I/O off Craigslist ($1000 range) and swap in a 5.0 out of an 87-93 stang for the Enduro. I would run straight zoomies until the drive blew. :D

http://santamaria.craigslist.org/boa/4673455995.html

HotWater
11-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I love these ��48504

What's that, part of a trolling motor?

HB Vic
11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
What's that, part of a trolling motor?

Pretty much these days yes lol

Uncle Dave
11-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Then theres these.....

Not quite the same thing.

UD

Uncle Dave
11-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to grab a 302 powered tri hull I/O off Craigslist ($1000 range) and swap in a 5.0 out of an 87-93 stang for the Enduro. I would run straight zoomies until the drive blew. :D

http://santamaria.craigslist.org/boa/4673455995.html

just my kinda twisted fun!

UD

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 02:11 PM
just my kinda twisted fun!

UD

I've got just the TRIhull for you since your bowtie inclined (it's got a chebby inline six)... It's in my barn and has a long history of ........... Well, lets just say the name of the boat should be HOT DATE or HOT NIGHT or HOT MESS and not HOT BOAT... Prolly still a few scratch and sniff stains on the back deck too... :leghump:

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Only if you promise to stop being a dimwitted child about Fords in I/Os.

I can post pics of Olds, Pontiac, Buick and Mopar jets and v drives. Doesn't make any of them suitable or friendly for I/O use. It would just make me an idiot.

Seriously, I don't think you can help yourself, so I am not going to hold my breath about the donuts.

Ok, i'll nibble... Aside from the mild cam/idle quality desire of Uncle AND the need for a decent low RPM IDLE to shift the I/O in and out of gear AND having a nice BROAD torque curve with peak HP all done before say 6500RPM WHAT is so special and unique about a I/O engine???

I'm pretty sure the shotgun ford pic I posted is an old Lavey, I thought Uncle would enjoy seeing THAT combo since he is a Lavey guy PLUS the earlier questions/comments about "FERDS in marine applications"...

gn7
11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Ok, i'll nibble... Aside from the mild cam/idle quality desire of Uncle AND the need for a decent low RPM IDLE to shift the I/O in and out of gear AND having a nice BROAD torque curve with peak HP all done before say 6500RPM WHAT is so special and unique about a I/O engine???

I'm pretty sure the shotgun ford pic I posted is an old Lavey, I thought Uncle would enjoy seeing THAT combo since he is a Lavey guy PLUS the earlier questions/comments about "FERDS in marine applications"...
You want to start with the exhaust, and then move on to all the front mount accessories like water pump, power steering, hyd pump for the O/D, bell housing to O/D, drive hub, and drive system for the accessories, etc etc. Its not the engine itself that makes a marine engine, its all the shit you have to hook to it.
A lot of Buicks & Caddys were used in the 60s. Ever seen a set of offshore type manifolds for an outdrive for them. They were "marine" engines.

Stop the goof ball shit Bruce. Show me you are smarter than this.

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 08:44 PM
You want to start with the exhaust, and then move on to all the front mount accessories like water pump, power steering, hyd pump for the O/D, bell housing to O/D, drive hub, and drive system for the accessories, etc etc. Its not the engine itself that makes a marine engine, its all the shit you have to hook to it.
A lot of Buicks & Caddys were used in the 60s. Ever seen a set of offshore type manifolds for an outdrive for them. They were "marine" engines.

Stop the goof ball shit Bruce. Show me you are smarter than this.

Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to dress out the engine with all of the marine trim and there are TONS of wet exhaust out there for SBF and BBF, prolly even 335 series engines also, aside from some trick water jacketed headers like Uncle Daves Viper engine what would be hard to obtain?

Took me all of two minutes to find on EBAY, and there is a plethora of marine distributors, starters, alternators for sale... SO lets take all of the marinizing excuses out of the discussion... I can have any dimension of performance jacketed stainless polished headers built for any SBF head that is selected, Blue THunder # BTH-CHCA-CC is a 385 series head with chevy exhaust ports... There are plenty of options out there if someone is interested in doing something other than Chebby power...

I thought maybe I was missing something with the engine itself that sets it apart from all of the other boats...

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 09:20 PM
oh, you want a blackie? mercruiser 888 (5.0 ford)

gn7
11-09-2014, 09:49 PM
You really believe you make the 550-600HP UD was talking about for his boat with those manifolds. Would you bolt those up a set of AFR, or Kaase P38 heads. Really Bruce, would you. Are you the same guy that was making suggestion for UD's chevy? And you come with bullshit like this?

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 09:52 PM
You really believe you make the 550-600HP UD was talking about for his boat with those manifolds. Would you bolt those up a set of AFR, or Kaase P38 heads. Really Bruce, would you. Are you the same guy that was making suggestion for UD's chevy? And you come with bullshit like this?

Do you ever read anything I type OR do you just look at the pretty pictures? SO it's only the exhaust manifolds that marinize an engine?

Tell me, since that is all out of the way, what makes an I/O ENGINE so special?

gn7
11-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Do you ever read anything I type OR do you just look at the pretty pictures? SO it's only the exhaust manifolds that marinize an engine?

Tell me, since that is all out of the way, what makes an I/O ENGINE so special?

I'm done

HB Vic
11-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm done

No way Jose. I don't believe it.

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 10:33 PM
There never was a fast boat with ford power, it cant be done... Not possible...Can't happen...

U.D. I understand what your goal is with the third mill, I don't think you will get there with a SB and be happy with the end result versus having the third mill being a big block... The EFI V10 is going to be hard to measure up to with a decent small block and I doubt it would hold up nearly as well in the big boat... In any case I would suggest talking to Gordy at Pfaff...

2manymustangs
11-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Took me all of two minutes to find on EBAY, and there is a plethora of marine distributors, starters, alternators for sale... SO lets take all of the marinizing excuses out of the discussion... I can have any dimension of performance jacketed stainless polished headers built for any SBF head that is selected, Blue THunder # BTH-CHCA-CC is a 385 series head with chevy exhaust ports... There are plenty of options out there if someone is interested in doing something other than Chebby power...

I thought maybe I was missing something with the engine itself that sets it apart from all of the other boats...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uncle Dave
11-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I wont get there with a small block unless its a 5-600CI small block. Then its so much money its smarter to just buy a big block.

In terms of whats in those picts- thats some exceptionally stock crappy stuff that wont flow jack squat.

Where can find I the ford version of these and what do they cost?
How long before I place an order to when I get them?

What will your guy build a set of 2.375 ID tubes for? looks like 10K for the cheb.

I don't think that " it can't be done" I just think that its a lot harder to do.

UD

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I JUST hung up the phone with David at CMI in Wisconsin, he said that they have done some custom stuff for Jack Roush for SBF/SVO... He stated that for E-tops that would typicall be around 3500 for BBC would end up being about 5k for your one off SBF... There are a variety of dimensions that are needed and there are PLENTY of exhaust port variations out there with the many SBF head options and BBF options... I picked the E-tops just for a point of reference...

And yes, that is stock replacement or stock iron in the pics (read FUGLY), BUT the point is that there are MANNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY marinized SBFs out there in service with all of the crapola hanging on them...

I dont know if I could get you a pretty polished set of big tubes made any cheaper than 5K but I do know they are available one way or another...

A few stock parts, a few pretty custom billet aluminum brackets, 5K for some big tubes and bada-bing, you have all the required parts to marinize a hot rod SBF... :)

What's an extra 1500 in the grand scheme of things, this is hot rod boating after all...

I still wouldnt try to push a big boat around with a big inch small block of ANY flava...

Uncle Dave
11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
I JUST hung up the phone with David at CMI in Wisconsin, he said that they have done some custom stuff for Jack Roush for SBF/SVO... He stated that for Etops that would typicall be around 3500 for BBC would end up being about 5k for your one off SBF... There are a variety of dimensions that are needed and there are PLENTY of variations out there with the many SBF head options and BBF options...

And yes, that is stock replacement or stock iron in the pics (read FUGLY), BUT the point is that there are MANNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY marinized SBFs out there in service with all of the crapola hanging on them...

I dont know if I could get you a pretty polished set of big tubes made any cheaper than 5K but I do know they are available one way or another...

A few stock parts, a few pretty custom billet aluminum brackets, 5K for some big tubes and bada-bing, you have all the required parts to marinize a hot rod SBF... :)

What's an extra 1500 in the grand scheme of things, this is hot rod boating after all...

I still wouldnt try to push a big boat around with a big inch small block of ANY flava...

Crapola is off the table.

SO small block to small block - It looks like I can pick up a pair of decent LS headers for about 2400 from CMI vs 5K for the Ford. (still haven't seen a set going on faith)

1500 doesn't seem realistic. Looks like more like a 2500 delta - on one part alone.

UD

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Crapola is off the table.

SO small block to small block - It looks like I can pick up a pair of decent LS headers for about 2400 from CMI vs 5K for the Ford. (still haven't seen a set going on faith)

1500 doesn't seem realistic. Looks like more like a 2500 delta - on one part alone.

UD

I'm not trying to make a case for swapping to a ford, in fact I think that sticking with a chebby makes perfect sense since your balls deep into your Sebring/SBC...

I would run that biotch untill the prop wouldn't turn one more revolution before I changed ANYTHING other than gear oil/engine oil/spark plugs and the radio station... :) But thats just me...

She fine......

Uncle Dave
11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Oh I'll get every RPM that setup can deliver then rebuild it again. Its not going anywhere, at least till I have a third mill.

Im pretty much done squeezing it for power (Id like to dyno an RPM air gap with a 1" spacer) , but I'd like to make her pretty , maybe a single belt kit, polished intake etc....

Gotta provision for a rainy day when one or the other has an issue and threatens to ruin my season.

To many of you out of town guys visiting all the time to let one of the 2 rigs go down.

UD

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Oh I'll get every RPM that setup can deliver then rebuild it again. Its not going anywhere, at least till I have a third mill.

Im pretty much done squeezing it for power (Id like to dyno an RPM air gap with a 1" spacer) , but I'd like to make her pretty , maybe a single belt kit, polished intake etc....

Gotta provision for a rainy day when one or the other has an issue and threatens to ruin my season.

To many of you out of town guys visiting all the time to let one of the 2 rigs go down.

UD

As much as I enjoy flying low in the Laveys, hanging at the CasaGrande with Max, Maggie and ................??? Is very enjoyable...

I was just informed that we will be spending Christmas in LB this year...

K-034
11-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Yep, custom grind for the new track layouts.

I run a 13/16 race cam :action-smiley-060:

Uncle Dave
11-10-2014, 01:36 PM
As much as I enjoy flying low in the Laveys, hanging at the CasaGrande with Max, Maggie and ................??? Is very enjoyable...

I was just informed that we will be spending Christmas in LB this year...

50/50 well be in the dunes - but you can come join us either way.

just bring the fucking doughnuts...

UD

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Is that what works best in blown alcohol engines J.J.? :D

50/50 well be in the dunes - but you can come join us either way.

just bring the fucking doughnuts...

UD

What do I know about doughnuts??? :hmmm:

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Sure glad I didn't have advise from you guys when building my engine.

My advice is worth what it cost U... :D

hoofy
11-10-2014, 05:11 PM
My advice is worth what it cost U... :D
If nothing else, it was worth the price.

2manymustangs
11-10-2014, 08:40 PM
If nothing else, it was worth the price.

:D true dat...

Sharp shooter
11-10-2014, 09:49 PM
So Bruce, since this is basically a "nothing" thread so,,,, how about giving us the specs and parts on your hydro engine and if you're so inclined explain the advantages of running a 385 series Ford over comparable engines.

Thanks in advance! :D

2manymustangs
11-11-2014, 07:00 AM
So Bruce, since this is basically a "nothing" thread so,,,, how about giving us the specs and parts on your hydro engine and if you're so inclined explain the advantages of running a 385 series Ford over comparable engines.

Thanks in advance! :D

No advantages of a FORD versus CHEBBY other than what a guy likes and is comfortable building IMHO... Availability of off the shelf parts is a draw for some folks but that has never been me, then again my project hasnt hit the water since I set the engine... :) There are design features on the BBC engines I Like and there are features on the BBF I like... Same for SBF/SBC...

As for my Sanger, the plan was/is to use my 429 SCJ as a starter engine to see if I needed/wanted MORE HP and go from there... The engine was in my 64 galaxie that I put together for drag strip action BUT the track closed so I ripped her apart... Standard bore 429CJ with work done on the heads/new valves/springs/shims/keepers/retainers, Comp Cam 294 / .605 lift solid flat tappet cam (the last I will EVER USE)... I didnt CC the heads and do a precise CR calculation but the factory specs are anywhere from 11:1 up to 11.7:1... Weiand Stealth intake and mildly worked over Holley 850... Factory ford Duraspark distributor / MSD box and that about sums it up... The bores are standard and could use an overbore, the crank is std/std...

My first post was total total total total BS right down to the bearing clearance numbers and anyone that knows anything about crank/bearing clearances knows even that part was terribly / stupidly wrong...

I started this thread on the heels of the assertions in the POLITICAL thread about "religion and war" most of which were blatantly FALSE. To many they would read my first post and say "Bruce said to OR I read somewhere to do this" (hopefully not) without knowing any better... It's kind of the same thing as I see it, in some areas of life people can say most anything they want and without a discerning eye from someone that knows or has studied (like GN7) the clearance numbers weren't even remotely close... It was funny to see Bob and a few others reaction to the total CRAP numbers about the crank/bearings which were a joke...

K-034
11-11-2014, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=2manymustangs;135145]Is that what works best in blown alcohol engines J.J.? :D

It's that top fuel shit, the way it should be. Drag boat K-boat stuff, LOL :wink2:

SBS933
11-11-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm building a 460 Ford with stock E7TE heads. Do you think this engine will work with well my Comp Cams Xtreme energy XR294HR? I'm thinking the Holley 2 barrel off my old 78 mustang should top things off perfectly too. :thumb: Excellent choice in carbs, be sure to jet it super fat to keep that sweet top-end alive :thumb:

2manymustangs
11-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Excellent choice in carbs, be sure to jet it super fat to keep that sweet top-end alive :thumb:

thats a secret combo for a major bump in compression... :smilies_mit_hut002:

Uncle Dave
11-11-2014, 08:41 AM
No advantages of a FORD versus CHEBBY other than what a guy likes and is comfortable building IMHO... Availability of off the shelf parts is a draw for some folks but that has never been me, then again my project hasnt hit the water since I set the engine... :) There are design features on the BBC engines I Like and there are features on the BBF I like... Same for SBF/SBC...

As for my Sanger, the plan was/is to use my 429 SCJ as a starter engine to see if I needed/wanted MORE HP and go from there... The engine was in my 64 galaxie that I put together for drag strip action BUT the track closed so I ripped her apart... Standard bore 429CJ with work done on the heads/new valves/springs/shims/keepers/retainers, Comp Cam 294 / .605 lift solid flat tappet cam (the last I will EVER USE)... I didnt CC the heads and do a precise CR calculation but the factory specs are anywhere from 11:1 up to 11.7:1... Weiand Stealth intake and mildly worked over Holley 850... Factory ford Duraspark distributor / MSD box and that about sums it up... The bores are standard and could use an overbore, the crank is std/std...

My first post was total total total total BS right down to the bearing clearance numbers and anyone that knows anything about crank/bearing clearances knows even that part was terribly / stupidly wrong...

I started this thread on the heels of the assertions in the POLITICAL thread about "religion and war" most of which were blatantly FALSE. To many they would read my first post and say "Bruce said to OR I read somewhere to do this" (hopefully not) without knowing any better... It's kind of the same thing as I see it, in some areas of life people can say most anything they want and without a discerning eye from someone that knows or has studied (like GN7) the clearance numbers weren't even remotely close... It was funny to see Bob and a few others reaction to the total CRAP numbers about the crank/bearings which were a joke...

Whats that mill supposed to make?

@11.7 you better not plan on filling up on the water- anywhere.

When is coming out here so I can ride in it?

UD

HotWater
11-11-2014, 08:48 AM

I'm going full race. Someone told me ProComp is a winner, or is it Speedmaster now?

2manymustangs
11-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Whats that mill supposed to make?

@11.7 you better not plan on filling up on the water- anywhere.

When is coming out here so I can ride in it?

UD

with 73.5 cc combustion chambers and assuming a .045 thick head gasket and very minimal valve reliefs (flat tops with valve reliefs were stock on CJs). some of the later CJs had the piston down in the hole by a fair amount to drop the compression but my 1970 block/parts end up with nearly zero deck clearance. I think the actual CR is down closer to 11:1...

When you throw the small chamber CJ heads on a 460 you instantly go WAY up over 13:1, that is why all of the big stroker ford pistons are dished (inverted dome)...

Uncle Dave
11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
with 73.5 cc combustion chambers and assuming a .045 thick head gasket and very minimal valve reliefs (flat tops with valve reliefs were stock on CJs). some of the later CJs had the piston down in the hole by a fair amount to drop the compression but my 1970 block/parts end up with nearly zero deck clearance. I think the actual CR is down closer to 11:1...

When you throw the small chamber CJ heads on a 460 you instantly go WAY up over 13:1, that is why all of the big stroker ford pistons are dished (inverted dome)...

I guess the question still stands- hows it gonna run? and whats it going to do in your boat?

So you got a non pump gas friendly mill.

Once you commit to race gas you can't just drop onto any ole place and fill up so that pretty much defines the boats role.

If you are going to run race gas then you can run 13:1 and over.

Love race gas toys. Id like to have one as a third boat someday.

UD

2manymustangs
11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
I guess the question still stands- hows it gonna run? and whats it going to do in your boat?

So you got a non pump gas friendly mill.

Once you commit to race gas you can't just drop onto any ole place and fill up so that pretty much defines the boats role.

If you are going to run race gas then you can run 13:1 and over.

Love race gas toys. Id like to have one as a third boat someday.

UD

I put about 50 hours on the engine just running 93 octane pump gas and it never did ping/knock HOWEVER it was pretty darn hard to load the engine with a four speed and 4:30 gears and 9" slicks... :) In the "water dyno" it should be easy to see if it will ping and bust up the 40+ year old TRW figure 8 slugs...

The boat had a 600" NA chebby the day I bought it and was so stupidly over powered for my taste that I didnt think it necessary to go crazy with a new engine right off the bat...

I got sentimental and bought the wrong boat, this belonged to THREE close friends of mine, two were high school buddies and the first died of cancer... What I really need is a 21' Raysoncraft hull like the GN47/GN24 that I can run at LOTO and on our big lakes... This is one reason I haven't hit the water, we dont really have too many good gathering places for Vdrives/hot boats around here and the lake I grew up on wouldn't allow this boat on the water... I've lost motivation, I need something with MUCHO more freeboard...

http://youtu.be/rQD7mnFU5rw

What I need:

gn7
11-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Vic, IMO you should just delete this thread and close the forum You already have a "marine" engine forum, and there us NOTHING remotely related to building a in this thread. More like Bruce doing his best Grads imitation. Like said, JMO, and we both know what that's worth around here.

HB Vic
11-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Vic, IMO you should just delete this thread and close the forum You already have a "marine" engine forum, and there us NOTHING remotely related to building a in this thread. More like Bruce doing his best Grads imitation. Like said, JMO, and we both know what that's worth around here.

Lol....good morning mr grinch

2manymustangs
12-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I guess this thread will go down in history... At least it will live / resound in my mind... :cry:

2manymustangs
12-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Easily fixed ...

Return the bearings?

Might as well, don't even need bearing's for those clearances, just float em on some 70wt nitro oil.

This was some funny stuff... :gathering: some may not have got Bob's joke OR Vic's joke on top of Bob's joke... :gathering: For sure BOB and HotWater got MY joke about the clearances...

2manymustangs
12-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Or when you only race 3 out of 4 nights......

Uncle Dave
12-21-2014, 10:16 AM
This thread was quintessential Bob in almost every way.

I was a Rusher Air customer for about 10 years from 95-2005 and his company was great to me. We only spoke a few times but they were relatively big deals stuff like "gimme 3 payments " on a 20K bill Im about to incur etc, and we were able to come to a deal each of us could live with. Oddly our boating interests never surfaced during the business relationship, so to find him years later online in the capacity of boat racer was kind of neat.

Somehow- and I can't figure out how - I rarely to never ended up as a target of his infamous unending wrath.

I'll miss you Bob.

"Uncle" Dave Sampson

2manymustangs
02-04-2016, 12:15 PM
This thread was quintessential Bob in almost every way.

I was a Rusher Air customer for about 10 years from 95-2005 and his company was great to me. We only spoke a few times but they were relatively big deals stuff like "gimme 3 payments " on a 20K bill Im about to incur etc, and we were able to come to a deal each of us could live with. Oddly our boating interests never surfaced during the business relationship, so to find him years later online in the capacity of boat racer was kind of neat.

Somehow- and I can't figure out how - I rarely to never ended up as a target of his infamous unending wrath.

I'll miss you Bob.

"Uncle" Dave Sampson

Quintessential GN7 posts AND fun posts from "HotWater" Sean Naffziger K-124 here in this thread... WOW...

Life is strange sometimes... TWO individuals that should still be with us...

When I get stressed out and need a break from work (like this morning) I like to stroll down the BOATING memory lane...