PDA

View Full Version : Diesel VS. Gas Trucks....

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Looking for a new to me truck. Mostly used for towing the boat or a trailer/5th wheel toy box.
Looking for something that will tow up to a 30-35 ft boat or toy box.

What are the pros and cons of Diesel vs. Gas?
7.3 Ford/6.6 Duramax or maybe 8.1 chevy gas.....What are your thoughts???
If you were buying something for general towing purposes from So Cal to the river, what would you buy?

Welldigger00
11-06-2014, 08:58 AM
In one word; Cummins.

Skav
11-06-2014, 09:10 AM
I've had all three. The 7.3 is a great motor, just keep the oil clean. It's loud and won't get great mileage. Probably around 12 in town. 10ish while towing. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make more power but you'll need to deal w the tranny if making more than 80hp more than stock. Also the 4r100 is a good trans but I always wished it had another gear. I either had to tow at 55 in third or 75 in OD. I usually picked OD The 8.1 gas was cool and fun to drive but mileage sucked. I swear I could see the gas gauge drop as I drove. It got about 8 around town or on the road. Towing was worse. I have a 6.6 now and like it a lot. It's quiet and smooth. When I first bought it I was seeing around 16.5mpg. Now it's 15 in town. If I didn't have the warranty I'd tune it because I've heard that will improve mileage and you should see around 17-18. I haven't towed w it yet but looking forward to it. The 6 speed trans should be nice.

Hope this helps.

Sharp shooter
11-06-2014, 09:22 AM
I have an 8.1 and It gets 10 mpg around town and 6-7 towing with 4.11 gear and 6 speed Allison trans. I went gas to avoid spending big bucks on maintenance over the long term.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I've had all three. The 7.3 is a great motor, just keep the oil clean. It's loud and won't get great mileage. Probably around 12 in town. 10ish while towing. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make more power but you'll need to deal w the tranny if making more than 80hp more than stock. Also the 4r100 is a good trans but I always wished it had another gear. I either had to tow at 55 in third or 75 in OD. I usually picked OD The 8.1 gas was cool and fun to drive but mileage sucked. I swear I could see the gas gauge drop as I drove. It got about 8 around town or on the road. Towing was worse. I have a 6.6 now and like it a lot. It's quiet and smooth. When I first bought it I was seeing around 16.5mpg. Now it's 15 in town. If I didn't have the warranty I'd tune it because I've heard that will improve mileage and you should see around 17-18. I haven't towed w it yet but looking forward to it. The 6 speed trans should be nice.

Hope this helps.

Great info!!! Thanks! 👍

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 09:30 AM
I have an 8.1 and It gets 10 mpg around town and 6-7 towing with 4.11 gear and 6 speed Allison trans. I went gas to avoid spending big bucks on maintenance over the long term.

So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel? I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?

Ziggy
11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a 2000 7.3 PSD ......won't be trading it anytime soon. Towed a 40' 5er with it all stock and with 35's on it no issues.
Downsized to a 30' 5er and 34's.
100k miles. No oil leaks anywhere. Original trans, etc. Have boosted the hp with a tuner.

Sharp shooter
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel?

Based on what I've heard I would say yes, but like I said this is a long term assessment. You'll likely find people that will have a different view this is just mine based on the world around me. My next door neighbor gave his 2004 Ford to the junk yard after so many problems.

I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?

I think that's true, but at what price? If you're like many and have to buy injectors, injector pumps, head gaskets etc is it worth it. I didn't want to take the chance considering I knew I would have my vehicle 10 years or longer. If you can buy new and keep trading in so your truck is always new then no worries.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Based on what I've heard I would say yes, but like I said this is a long term assessment. You'll likely find people that will have a different view this is just mine based on the world around me. My next door neighbor gave his 2004 Ford to the junk yard after so many problems.
I think that's true, but at what price? If you're like many and have to buy injectors, injector pumps, head gaskets etc is it worth it. I didn't want to take the chance considering I knew I would have my vehicle 10 years or longer. If you can buy new and keep trading in so your truck is always new then no worries.

I am looking for something that is going to last me for the long haul 10+. I do not really drive the truck too much and would quesstimate around 6-8k miles per year.

HotWater
11-06-2014, 01:27 PM
If your only driving 6-8k a year just get a gas rig.

Stainless
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
For real towing I would go diesel bc of the torque. Personally I think they are better in hot weather towing to, but that's just my opinion.
I have a 2500HD Dmax and it tows my 24' boat easily, of course a gas engine would also. One thing I notice is the 6.5' bed tends to move around some if I get passed, or it's windy. I had the same truck with 8' bed truck and it tracked much better in the above conditions.

CH3NO2

B&D Marine
11-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I have an '06 Duramax. I will NEVER go back to gas after owning this truck. It is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. 170,000 miles and all I've ever done is service it and put diesel in. 16 - 17 mpg at 75 - 80 not towing. 12 - 14 towing my boat (twins and lots of wind resistance) and never below 65 no matter what the grade. More power towing than you could need.
My opinion about the long term maintenance is the opposite of Jerry (sharp shooter). My last truck had the 7.4 and by 120,000 the constant maintenance $$ was the reason I sold it.
Unless something catastrophic or unforeseen failure happens, I'll be keeping this truck for a long time to come.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 02:28 PM
For real towing I would go diesel bc of the torque. Personally I think they are better in hot weather towing to, but that's just my opinion.
I have a 2500HD Dmax and it tows my 24' boat easily, of course a gas engine would also. One thing I notice is the 6.5' bed tends to move around some if I get passed, or it's windy. I had the same truck with 8' bed truck and it tracked much better in the above conditions.
CH3NO2

I do want a Long Bed and 4x4. I have the 6ft bed now and always fill it up whenever we go somewhere.

djunkie
11-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I have an '06 Duramax. I will NEVER go back to gas after owning this truck. It is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. 170,000 miles and all I've ever done is service it and put diesel in. 16 - 17 mpg at 75 - 80 not towing. 12 - 14 towing my boat (twins and lots of wind resistance) and never below 65 no matter what the grade. More power towing than you could need.
My opinion about the long term maintenance is the opposite of Jerry (sharp shooter). My last truck had the 7.4 and by 120,000 the constant maintenance $$ was the reason I sold it.
Unless something catastrophic or unforeseen failure happens, I'll be keeping this truck for a long time to come.

What he said. Love my '05 Duramax. Only complaint is I don't drive it enough.

rivergames
11-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Have a 02' Duramax with new injectors thrown on last year. She pulls the loaded down enclosed trailer with the cracker inside across the country with ease. Plus she has 249,000+ on her and I still do not worry about cruising across country in her

niceguyeddie
11-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Best truck I have ever owned.

Lifted, modified and tuned not even 24 hours after leaving the lot. Never had a mechanical issue with it.

Duramax all the way. There is no comparison between gas and diesel. Apples and Oranges.

niceguyeddie
11-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Pulled boat, trailer, buggy and whatever else I threw at it no problem.

The Doctor
11-06-2014, 04:49 PM

What he said. Love my '05 Duramax. Only complaint is I don't drive it enough.

Have a 02' Duramax with new injectors thrown on last year. She pulls the loaded down enclosed trailer with the cracker inside across the country with ease. Plus she has 249,000+ on her and I still do not worry about cruising across country in her

Best truck I have ever owned.

Lifted, modified and tuned not even 24 hours after leaving the lot. Never had a mechanical issue with it.

Duramax all the way. There is no comparison between gas and diesel. Apples and Oranges.

I have an '05 Duramax Crew Cab Dually and it's my third such unit. Nothing changed or repaired on any of the three besides standard servicing and Transynd in the tranny. I suspect I'll have this truck for another decade or two. Oh, I've owned both Ford and Dodge but I'll never purchase anything but the GM with the Duramax/Allison for my needs again.

Ziggy
11-06-2014, 07:04 PM
So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel? I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?
Start with the cost of a simple oil change. My diesel takes 15qrts of oil at nearly $5 a qrt plus a $10 fomoco filter.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Start with the cost of a simple oil change. My diesel takes 15qrts of oil at nearly $5 a qrt plus a $10 fomoco filter.

Sounds like the 100 synthetic oil change in the BMW lol
Does it still get done every 3k miles on a diesel?

Ziggy
11-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Sounds like the 100 synthetic oil change in the BMW lol
Does it still get done every 3k miles on a diesel?
I do it every 4k.....sometimes 5k if I haven't been doing any heavy towing in that stretch.
The bonus of doing it frequently is the seals stay healthier. At 100k miles my truck engine is as dry as a popcorn fart.
I use a oem Motorcraft filter and Shell Rotella diesel oil.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 07:18 PM
So in my search, I see a lot of diesels listed with miles in the 150k range. Not too many of them in less than 100k range. I know with gas when buying pre-owned one generally looks for vehicles with less than100k miles. What is the general rule of thumb in regards to mileage when purchasing a used diesel?

djunkie
11-06-2014, 07:27 PM
So in my search, I see a lot of diesels listed with miles in the 150k range. Not too many of them in less than 100k range. I know with gas when buying pre-owned one generally looks for vehicles with less than100k miles. What is the general rule of thumb in regards to mileage when purchasing a used diesel?

Speaking for a duramax or 7.3 ford I wouldn't be afraid of 150k miles. Mine just cracked 90k and I think it's just finally getting broke in.

Bobbytheboozer
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Diesels are not really broken in till 100k. 150k, by what I've seen, people usually sell around that time because anything over 200k they can't get any cash for them. They try to sell while they can to get a decent down payment on a new diesel.

That's what see with my friends that have diesels.

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Speaking for a duramax or 7.3 ford I wouldn't be afraid of 150k miles. Mine just cracked 90k and I think it's just finally getting broke in.

Diesels are not really broken in till 100k. 150k, by what I've seen, people usually sell around that time because anything over 200k they can't get any cash for them. They try to sell while they can to get a decent down payment on a new diesel.

That's what see with my friends that have diesels.

I have read the same thing about them being broken in around 100-150k. Wasn't sure how accurate that was.
I know ford has 2 diesel sizes with the 7.3 being the bigger one. Was told the smaller one is not very good. Does the duramax only come in a 6.6 and if not what size is best if I go with Chevy?

Bobbytheboozer
11-06-2014, 07:34 PM
I have read the same thing about them being broken in around 100-150k. Wasn't sure how accurate that was.
I know ford has 2 diesel sizes with the 7.3 being the bigger one. Was told the smaller one is not very good. Does the duramax only come in a 6.6 and if not what size is best if I go with Chevy?
Chevy is only a 6.6 and stay away from the Ford 6.0, you might as well burn every dollar you make if you buy that. from about 80k to 100k they fall apart big time

riverrunner1984
11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Chevy is only a 6.6 and stay away from the Ford 6.0, you might as well burn every dollar you make if you buy that. from about 80k to 100k they fall apart big time

Yah I read something similar.
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated coming from someone not very mechanically inclined lol

Bobbytheboozer
11-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Yah I read something similar.
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated coming from someone not very mechanically inclined lol
No problem. I like ford, don't get me wrong, but the only diesel I'd buy from them is the 7.3L. All my friends and I have had ford diesels in the past, we all changed to the duramax. the best years to buy are 04-06. 07 and all diesels have exhaust filters that clog up after 80k to 100k miles and are about a grand to replace. If you buy 07 and up, swap the exhaust and get a tune on it ASAP

riverrunner1984
11-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Aside from the obvious what is the benefit of a Dually vs 4 wheels? Can't they tow the same amount of weight if the engine is the same size?

Stainless
11-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Aside from the obvious what is the benefit of a Dually vs 4 wheels? Can't they tow the same amount of weight if the engine is the same size?

A Dually will carry more weight plus it's more stable due to wider track width.

CH3NO2