PDA

View Full Version : Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend - Who's going?

HolyMoly
11-05-2014, 09:00 PM
My 11 year old son (Nate) and I are "racing" the Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend. We are in Race 10 on Sunday that starts at 8:15 AM. I used quotes around racing as this is not a sanctioned event and there are no points...just bragging rights. My son is racing the 105-200cc Beginner Class, and I'm in the Beginner Open. We are also doing the Thunder's Hot Lap at 7:30 - but that is for pre-running the course. I'm really just going to be chasing my son around the course as my wife is a bit worried about him "racing". Although as races go, these types of fun races do tend to have more injuries due to the level of participation by normally non-racers who think they can race.

Races are all weekend and the Mushman 100 is on Saturday afternoon. Lots of food. And the race course has a mini mx track in the beginning to give the spectators something to watch near the Storm Stadium.

Sharp shooter
11-05-2014, 09:33 PM
My 11 year old son (Nate) and I are "racing" the Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend. We are in Race 10 on Sunday that starts at 8:15 AM. I used quotes around racing as this is not a sanctioned event and there are no points...just bragging rights. My son is racing the 105-200cc Beginner Class, and I'm in the Beginner Open. We are also doing the Thunder's Hot Lap at 7:30 - but that is for pre-running the course. I'm really just going to be chasing my son around the course as my wife is a bit worried about him "racing". Although as races go, these types of fun races do tend to have more injuries due to the level of participation by normally non-racers who think they can race.

Races are all weekend and the Mushman 100 is on Saturday afternoon. Lots of food. And the race course has a mini mx track in the beginning to give the spectators something to watch near the Storm Stadium.

This is a fun race!

The MX section has been over by the dealership the last several years so that's a significant change. Do they let the 11 year olds ride the entire course or keep them on the kids loop?

Are they still running the ridge?

76Bonneville
11-05-2014, 11:22 PM
i'll be there Sat. and Sun.
My son in law races on Saturday, it's his first time.
My son races on Sunday and I think it's his 7th or 8th year doing it.

HolyMoly
11-05-2014, 11:41 PM
This is a fun race!

The MX section has been over by the dealership the last several years so that's a significant change. Do they let the 11 year olds ride the entire course or keep them on the kids loop?

Are they still running the ridge?
Last year they added the mx section to the front, but still had the other mx section by the Chevy dealer, but that has a lot more natural terrain to it. The front section is completely man made like a regular mx track.

Almost all the classes race the entire course except for the minis.

Yes, the ridge is still in play and widowmaker is still a major spot of congestion especially on the first lap.

76Bonneville
11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Has anyone seen what the water crossing is like this year?

HolyMoly
11-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Has anyone seen what the water crossing is like this year?
The preview is up here http://lakeelsinoregp.com/story/all/2014-legp-track-preview-vid

They cut out the mx sections in the video. The water is low, so there is no real water crossing. There is one spot where j you can get a little wet, but you can stay dry if you keep to the right.

Sharp shooter
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
The preview is up here http://lakeelsinoregp.com/story/all/2014-legp-track-preview-vid

They cut out the mx sections in the video. The water is low, so there is no real water crossing. There is one spot where j you can get a little wet, but you can stay dry if you keep to the right.

When I raced it several years back the water was actually deeper on the right side. Looks fun! Take some pics!

HolyMoly
11-07-2014, 11:05 AM
When I raced it several years back the water was actually deeper on the right side. Looks fun! Take some pics!

Since there is no water at the water crossing, they run the route down in the channel. It hops up the bank on the right for a while, then dips down bank by the water again where you have the option to get wet. The bank is really sandy, and tends to be a point of congestion on the first lap, and the faster guys will go thru the water to get by the congestion. My kid is running a TTR 125. He really is ready for a 85 two stroke, but the funds have been limited. I was going to race my DRZ 400 (punched out to 458) but I picked up a very nice RM 250 (traded for a really nice rifle) and I'll be on that. Took the 250 to the track last week, and it is definitely an adjustment to go back to 2 stroke!

BTW - Your monologues about how great the local tracks are did not go to waste! I finally broke down and took my kid(s) to the track in April (Perris Raceway) and I am in 100% agreement with you! It is so easy to get to, and my fuel gauge on my truck doesn't even move. I have 3 tracks within 15-20 minutes (Perris, Starwest/Lucas, and Elsinore) and we have gone about 10 times this year...almost enough to get a FastPass monthly membership. We've been to Milestone, and have plans to go to all the so cal tracks. Met a ton of great people. We will still do the designated desert trips this year, as that is more of a family trip.

My 11 year old son.

My 9 year old daughter.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/1743affcd7f12b8dd65633c2a449f5b9.jpg
The new-to-me whip

2manymustangs
11-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Since there is no water at the water crossing, they run the route down in the channel. It hops up the bank on the right for a while, then dips down bank by the water again where you have the option to get wet. The bank is really sandy, and tends to be a point of congestion on the first lap, and the faster guys will go thru the water to get by the congestion. My kid is running a TTR 125. He really is ready for a 85 two stroke, but the funds have been limited. I was going to race my DRZ 400 (punched out to 458) but I picked up a very nice RM 250 (traded for a really nice rifle) and I'll be on that. Took the 250 to the track last week, and it is definitely an adjustment to go back to 2 stroke!

BTW - Your monologues about how great the local tracks are did not go to waste! I finally broke down and took my kid(s) to the track in April (Perris Raceway) and I am in 100% agreement with you! It is so easy to get to, and my fuel gauge on my truck doesn't even move. I have 3 tracks within 15-20 minutes (Perris, Starwest/Lucas, and Elsinore) and we have gone about 10 times this year...almost enough to get a FastPass monthly membership. We've been to Milestone, and have plans to go to all the so cal tracks. Met a ton of great people. We will still do the designated desert trips this year, as that is more of a family trip.

My 11 year old son.

My 9 year old daughter.

The new-to-me whip

I wish I still had mine... :(

THis event sounds like a blast!

Sharp shooter
11-07-2014, 06:37 PM

My 11 year old son.

My 9 year old daughter.

The new-to-me whip

That's great to see your eleven year old with his head over the bars mid air like that. :thumbup:

Your bike looks nice too! I think you guys will have a great time! Have you done this race before? When I did it, I was riding 3 to 4 times a week month after month and I felt pretty good doing it. My biggest problem was the lack of a site lap because I didn't want to spend $50 for the unclassified race so when the flag dropped (after I stalled out and got going:D) I was running unchartered territory which lends itself to being over cautious. lol

Sharp shooter
11-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I wish I still had mine... THis event sounds like a blast!

It really is Bruce, and if you saw On Any Sunday when you were a kid like I did, the race means even more.

2manymustangs
11-07-2014, 10:51 PM
It really is Bruce, and if you saw On Any Sunday when you were a kid like I did, the race means even more.

I saw it too many times :D

OCMerrill
11-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Good luck to you and Nate. Make sure your wife mans the camera or have Cole work it from on top of a light pole (LOL) and bring the pics out Thanks Giving.

That 250 cleaned up nice.

Eli
11-08-2014, 08:16 AM

I think me and my camera crew are heading over tomorrow. I will bring my camera too.

Sent from my Bat Cave

76Bonneville
11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
We'll be there. My son races at 8:15
The bike with the side car was crazy.

HolyMoly
11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
We'll be there. My son races at 8:15
The bike with the side car was crazy.
We're at 8:15 too. We are driving in the morning, so we'll be pitting in the day-of parking.

76Bonneville
11-08-2014, 08:22 PM
There was plenty of parking on the camp side west of the stadium today. Meeting my son there, he'll probably go to the camp side again. $5.00 to park

HolyMoly
11-08-2014, 08:27 PM
There was plenty of parking on the camp side west of the stadium today. Meeting my son there, he'll probably go to the camp side again. $5.00 to park
Is that the day of racer parking?

76Bonneville
11-08-2014, 10:49 PM
$5.00 per vehicle, all day. We had a couple car loads of spectators and they were the same.

HolyMoly
11-09-2014, 02:16 PM
We did the hotlap at 7:30 and that was my son's best run! Only ran 2 laps, but he wasn't the last in his class. He had a crash on lap 1 and then got caught in traffic on the widowmaker and had to make a 2nd pass. Got semi-stuck on the soft sand headed back for the finish line. Another crash in the exact same spot on lap 2. But pulled it together and passed a few people. Course was really great. The soft stuff is only bad for the smaller wheel guys and if you go too slow. The natural terrain MX stuff by the chevy dealer was really nice. The course was a lot of fun. Widowmaker was actually quite easy..they had watered it. People just needed to pick a good line thru the corner at the bottom.

Eli
11-09-2014, 03:33 PM
We did the hotlap at 7:30 and that was my son's best run! Only ran 2 laps, but he wasn't the last in his class. He had a crash on lap 1 and then got caught in traffic on the widowmaker and had to make a 2nd pass. Got semi-stuck on the soft sand headed back for the finish line. Another crash in the exact same spot on lap 2. But pulled it together and passed a few people. Course was really great. The soft stuff is only bad for the smaller wheel guys and if you go too slow. The natural terrain MX stuff by the chevy dealer was really nice. The course was a lot of fun. Widowmaker was actually quite easy..they had watered it. People just needed to pick a good line thru the corner at the bottom.

Sorry I couldn't make it, it was a rough (not good kind) night...waking up at 5 am would've been impossible.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Sharp shooter
11-09-2014, 07:03 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is how these little guys can get up that hill. It wasn't easy when I climbed it. :shock: but it wasn't watered either.

Was there a mud jump this year? How about some gopro video?

I'm looking forward to the pics.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 10:05 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is how these little guys can get up that hill. It wasn't easy when I climbed it. :shock: but it wasn't watered either.

Was there a mud jump this year? How about some gopro video?

I'm looking forward to the pics.

It was great on the pre-run ride....he rode thru a group of bikes all waiting their turn to go up the hill...he rides right thru them and zips right up the hill. On the first lap of his race, he hit it in the wrong gear, plus some guy was stuck getting turned around with safety people helping him and he kind of panicked and stopped....had to give it a second shot.

I had 3 gopros running, but the one on his helmet kept falling forward. Gave kind of an interesting view and it was looking down thru the vent in his visor. I can probably blend those into a bigger video. I had one on my bars that the clutch cable kept grabbing and pulling it down and ended up with a view of my front fender, plus got some mud flung on it. The one on my helmet faired the best. I'm working to cut it all together and will post it up soon.

The mud jump was there. We saw someone try to ride thru the mud puddle in the pre-run and it ate him up! Nice mud bath at 7:30 AM.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Widowmaker.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Mud on the bar mounted go pro. lol

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Nate passing in a corner on the MX track.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Natedog

76Bonneville
11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
We were watching the father and son going around the track.
Didn't realize it was you.
Very cool, looks like he had a great time.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 06:06 PM
We were watching the father and son going around the track.
Didn't realize it was you.
Very cool, looks like he had a great time.
Was it that obvious?

He really enjoyed it. And was stoked when he passed several people on the 2nd lap including an adult.

He wants to race next year and camp down there. I don't know about camping there, the parking lot looked rough in the morning with beer bottles and trash every where.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Some gopro action. Widowmaker. Tried to get fancy switching between his helmet camera and mine in the first video. Second video is just his.

http://youtu.be/oS7hDXF03lU

http://youtu.be/Sxq_jMl4Vuk

Sharp shooter
11-10-2014, 09:43 PM

We are in Race 10 on Sunday that starts at 8:15 AM. My son is racing the 105-200cc Beginner Class, and I'm in the Beginner Open. -

So help me out here. Did you guys enter in race 10 or just do the 7:30 pre run? They used to call that the unclassified race. Widowmaker is steep! It was dry and rocky when I did it and the ridge was so dusty it was like riding in fog. lol

I'd like to see the entire course if you have the motivation to post it.

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 11:09 PM
So help me out here. Did you guys enter in race 10 or just do the 7:30 pre run? They used to call that the unclassified race. Widowmaker is steep! It was dry and rocky when I did it and the ridge was so dusty it was like riding in fog. lol

I'd like to see the entire course if you have the motivation to post it.
We did both. They had a 1-2 lap pre run called thunder laps on Sunday. They did post the times of the 4 fastest. But there was like 80 people. That was at 7:30 am. Then at 8:15, race 10 started...And we ran that too.

There was an unclassified race on Saturday morning and that is used as a pre run. It was nice to have a pre run on Sunday morning too as we weren't there on Saturday.

I will post the whole course with minimal editing....maybe even speed it up as it is fairly boring at 20 minutes per lap.

Sharp shooter
11-10-2014, 11:30 PM
We did both. They had a 1-2 lap pre run called thunder laps on Sunday. They did post the times of the 4 fastest. But there was like 80 people. That was at 7:30 am. Then at 8:15, race 10 started...And we ran that too.

There was an unclassified race on Saturday morning and that is used as a pre run. It was nice to have a pre run on Sunday morning too as we weren't there on Saturday.

I will post the whole course with minimal editing....maybe even speed it up as it is fairly boring at 20 minutes per lap.

How about a full length and condensed version. :D

Did you both finish?

HolyMoly
11-10-2014, 11:42 PM
How about a full length and condensed version. :D

Did you both finish?
Maybe...I just downloaded widows movie maker today. There will be plenty of full length videos popping up as we found about 20 from last year.

We only finished 2 laps while most did 3.

Sharp shooter
11-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Maybe...I just downloaded widows movie maker today. There will be plenty of full length videos popping up as we found about 20 from last year.

We only finished 2 laps while most did 3.

I ran the 2nd and 3rd laps with numb hands. lol

Cool on the vids, I'd like to see them. :thumbup:

HolyMoly
11-11-2014, 09:25 AM
I found this video this morning...thunder hot lap pre run.

Hotlap Day 2 Lake Elsinore Grand Prix 2014 wr250r…: http://youtu.be/gieULnyI9rE

HolyMoly
11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Here is another... LEGP 2014, Race #2: http://youtu.be/YgC6ziUxSdE

They are popping up today.

Sharp shooter
11-11-2014, 09:56 PM
That dusty ridge is sketchy! lol

Let me know when you guys roll milestone again and I'll try and join you. :cool

HolyMoly
11-20-2014, 10:52 PM
I haven't edited any more material yet. But, did pick up this for my 12 year old.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/a2217f3b57eca35ccc482ebdd03e8697.jpg

HolyMoly
11-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Got the videos up.

Lap 1: http://youtu.be/DL7DjNAs2lk

Lap2: http://youtu.be/3quDVCJ3Rf0

Sharp shooter
11-27-2014, 12:22 AM
I haven't edited any more material yet. But, did pick up this for my 12 year old.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/a2217f3b57eca35ccc482ebdd03e8697.jpg

The idea of my kids on a motocross bike as opposed to a trail bike is both exciting and a little scary. It's a big step! Has he rode it yet? I see you posted this a while ago.

The vids are cool. The sand is deeper than it looks and must be tough to ride with small wheels. Looks like you guys had a great time and it makes me wanna go moto! (even though I just went last week:))

If you use a screw driver on the gopros or they won't move. :)

HolyMoly
11-28-2014, 12:56 PM
The idea of my kids on a motocross bike as opposed to a trail bike is both exciting and a little scary. It's a big step! Has he rode it yet? I see you posted this a while ago.

The vids are cool. The sand is deeper than it looks and must be tough to ride with small wheels. Looks like you guys had a great time and it makes me wanna go moto! (even though I just went last week:))

If you use a screw driver on the gopros or they won't move. :)
He's riding it for the first time out in the desert. Took him a good day of riding to figure out the two stroke. Wanted to keep riding the ttr 125. But now on day 3, he is really digging it especially when riding with other kids on trail bikes, he blips the throttle and blows by them.