PDA

View Full Version : Social Media, friend or? (semi boating related)

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I mentioned a little about this last night. Watching my FB and IG feed blow up the past several days over the Lucas drags in Chandler got me thinking. Why FB & IG?

So I scoured the other regional sites thinking maybe these people are just not posting on Hotboat. Not the case. For the most part they are not posting anywhere but FB & IG. Again, why?

I am no media mogul and to be honest, I'm a FB & IG rookie. Hotboat.com has accounts on both sites. Initially I thought it would be a good idea to have a presence there. After some time my thought changed as the effort was being drawn away from the site. Of course I have my reasons, just as any other site operator, as to why I want the activity here. And they are selfish reasons, I won't lie. However, just as I have my reasons, the racers, promoters, and others who depend on crowds, attendance and followers, also have their reasons.

In the past I've heard people say things like "We want to stay neutral, so we don't post on this site or that site". That honestly makes no sense to me. I'm not saying we're channel 7, we're more like channel 34 with snow, but if channel 34 rolled up to your event, wouldn't you be happy? If you had a chance to make a post on channel 7's feed, wouldn't you take advantage of it? If you could play to an audience of thousands vs hundreds wouldn't you do it?

And to be fair, I'm not picking only on boat racing. Many of the other boat shows and events are doing the same thing. And I'm not saying social media is a dead end. But I am saying its limited. Its limited to primarily the people who are already engaged in that sport or activity. Or "friends and family". I would certainly want to play to the largest audience I could possibly play to if my sport or activity relied on attracting fans, customers, or the public.

Just a little food for thought. We will still post on FB & IG. And I'll still certainly view and support those who also post there.

But I will also continue to scratch my head at the same time :D

bb88
11-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I mentioned a little about this last night. Watching my FB and IG feed blow up the past several days over the Lucas drags in Chandler got me thinking. Why FB & IG?

So I scoured the other regional sites thinking maybe these people are just not posting on Hotboat. Not the case. For the most part they are not posting anywhere but FB & IG. Again, why?

I am no media mogul and to be honest, I'm a FB & IG rookie. Hotboat.com has accounts on both sites. Initially I thought it would be a good idea to have a presence there. After some time my thought changed as the effort was being drawn away from the site. Of course I have my reasons, just as any other site operator, as to why I want the activity here. And they are selfish reasons, I won't lie. However, just as I have my reasons, the racers, promoters, and others who depend on crowds, attendance and followers, also have their reasons.

In the past I've heard people say things like "We want to stay neutral, so we don't post on this site or that site". That honestly makes no sense to me. I'm not saying we're channel 7, we're more like channel 34 with snow, but if channel 34 rolled up to your event, wouldn't you be happy? If you had a chance to make a post on channel 7's feed, wouldn't you take advantage of it? If you could play to an audience of thousands vs hundreds wouldn't you do it?

And to be fair, I'm not picking only on boat racing. Many of the other boat shows and events are doing the same thing. And I'm not saying social media is a dead end. But I am saying its limited. Its limited to primarily the people who are already engaged in that sport or activity. Or "friends and family". I would certainly want to play to the largest audience I could possibly play to if my sport or activity relied on attracting fans, customers, or the public.

Just a little food for thought. We will still post on FB & IG. And I'll still certainly view and support those who also post there.

But I will also continue to scratch my head at the same time :D
Think about this. One person likes your pic on Facebook or IG. Let's say that friend has 300 FB and IG friends. One of their friends has 2000 friends and a Public account with 2M friends and they really love the pic of that DCB flying across the water with the hot woman in the back. Bam, more traffic to your site than you can imagine. Social media isn't going anywhere.

Eli
11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
I compare social media to a pyramid scenario and forums to BtoB.

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
11-03-2014, 07:53 PM
It's the difference between push and pull. On IG, pictures get pushed to me from those I follow. I click the icon and BAM, they're there. I don't really read comments. On forums you have to go pull pictures, search threads. People are lazy.

C-2
11-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Think about this. One person likes your pic on Facebook or IG. Let's say that friend has 300 FB and IG friends. One of their friends has 2000 friends and a Public account with 2M friends and they really love the pic of that DCB flying across the water with the hot woman in the back. Bam, more traffic to your site than you can imagine. Social media isn't going anywhere.

Yup, the fact people do not reply or like it does not mean they did not view it. Good call.

In anticipation of tomorrow's election, I'm working this angle right now. There is a Las Vegas real estate developer trying to develop some land that has been protected by growth control measures for decades. So, he cleverly disguised his measure as "Save the Hills." Of course, everybdoy wants to do that and vote "yes", so it's been a real uphill battle to inform people that the Measure is misleading and a No vote is the correct response. In our grass roots money chest was $20K for signs, advertising, placards etc. Thus far and as of a week ago, the developer has spent $1,500,000.

So our strategy is the same as bb88 point outs - social media. I have 1700 friends. Today, I reached out to about 100 friends, all of whom have between 700-1500 friends, asking them to reach out to each of their friends in the same manner. This in addition to the multiple blasts I have been making for the past week. So today, I probably reached out to about 12K people in the local area.

I doubt we'll pull it off, but the results will be interesting.

---------------------------

For business purposes, I would like to have the friend cap of 5000 friends. That way, if I add friends who each have between 3000-5000 friends...that gives me a reach to 15,000,000 people in the SoCal area. With that reach, if I don't personally know you, there's a good chance one of my friends, or a friend of a friend does, which is mny goal.

But, one thing I've learned over the past several years, is that achieving 5000 friends is not an easy task and will take several years of daily work to accomplish that task. And we're not talking about going on Fiverr and buying FB friends for $5. Four years ago on FB, you could add hundreds of friends per week, but now everybody is pretty much over friend whoring, and Facebook will put you in timeout if it thinks you are adding people who are not personal friends.

Lastly, just yesterday I was telling wifey about my theory on how some people will always be "cheaters" because they cannot control their basic survival instinct of reproducing. I think, this underlying and subconscious instinct is stronger in some people than others, and uncontrollable for the minority of people. It ties into FB because you see it there too. Some people need constant validation, and FB gives them the perfect platform to seek out their constant need to be praised. Which is what I loathe about FB. Yuk.

So earlier today I was researching click-baiting and found a great article, which basically says all our brains care about is food, sex and danger. You need food to survive, without sex our species will not survive, and if you are killed, the first two will not matter.

See, I told ya...

http://www.blog.theteamw.com/2009/11/15/100-things-you-should-know-about-people-11-you-cant-resist-paying-attention-to-food-sex-or-danger/

Anyhow, carry on... :)

bb88
11-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Yup, the fact people do not reply or like it does not mean they did not view it. Good call.

In anticipation of tomorrow's election, I'm working this angle right now. There is a Las Vegas real estate developer trying to develop some land that has been protected by growth control measures for decades. So, he cleverly disguised his measure as "Save the Hills." Of course, everybdoy wants to do that and vote "yes", so it's been a real uphill battle to inform people that the Measure is misleading and a No vote is the correct response. In our grass roots money chest was $20K for signs, advertising, placards etc. Thus far and as of a week ago, the developer has spent $1,500,000.

So our strategy is the same as bb88 point outs - social media. I have 1700 friends. Today, I reached out to about 100 friends, all of whom have between 700-1500 friends, asking them to reach out to each of their friends in the same manner. This in addition to the multiple blasts I have been making for the past week. So today, I probably reached out to about 12K people in the local area.

I doubt we'll pull it off, but the results will be interesting.

---------------------------

For business purposes, I would like to have the friend cap of 5000 friends. That way, if I add friends who each have between 3000-5000 friends...that gives me a reach to 15,000,000 people in the SoCal area. With that reach, if I don't personally know you, there's a good chance one of my friends, or a friend of a friend does, which is mny goal.

But, one thing I've learned over the past several years, is that achieving 5000 friends is not an easy task and will take several years of daily work to accomplish that task. And we're not talking about going on Fiverr and buying FB friends for $5. Four years ago on FB, you could add hundreds of friends per week, but now everybody is pretty much over friend whoring, and Facebook will put you in timeout if it thinks you are adding people who are not personal friends.

Lastly, just yesterday I was telling wifey about my theory on how some people will always be "cheaters" because they cannot control their basic survival instinct of reproducing. I think, this underlying and subconscious instinct is stronger in some people than others, and uncontrollable for the minority of people. It ties into FB because you see it there too. Some people need constant validation, and FB gives them the perfect platform to seek out their constant need to be praised. Which is what I loathe about FB. Yuk.

So earlier today I was researching click-baiting and found a great article, which basically says all our brains care about is food, sex and danger. You need food to survive, without sex our species will not survive, and if you are killed, the first two will not matter.

See, I told ya...

http://www.blog.theteamw.com/2009/11/15/100-things-you-should-know-about-people-11-you-cant-resist-paying-attention-to-food-sex-or-danger/

Anyhow, carry on... :)
Solid info right there!

Stainless
11-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Not sure if I'm track in this topic but this is how I roll. I like Hotboat for general everything. It's fun and we can usually count on someone here to be at the boating events and post pics or give us play by play, ie the Enduro and the Drag Boat Finals this past weekend. Plus a wide variety of everything gets discussed here and there's no hair pulling to speak of.
As for everything else Twitter is my go to because the posts are short and usually instantaneous. I follow several people in Nhra and lately been following some political stuff bc of the election tomorrow. Usually I hear news happenings on Twitter bf it hits the news outlets.

CH3NO2

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 09:27 PM

I'm quite familiar with the exponential aspect of the deal. The problem is you have no idea who the audience is. And furthermore the goal isn't necessarily to get the users to come to websites from social media, the goal is to get those who rely on putting butts in the seats to spend an equal effort and time posting on sites such as this one.

The promoters want butts in the seats. The racers or those who rely on a venue (to do what they love) and possibly some sponsorship dollars also indirectly want butts in the seats. Sponsorship money will only come if the sponsors receive some benefit. Lets be honest. Posting anything on IG is pretty much a waste of time if you're in it for business. FB isn't much further behind as there is no direct means of advertising. Track the flow of sponsorship dollars and you'll see who needs to be fed.

Just thinking out loud really. I see a real disconnect between sites that are monetized vs social media. At least for the purposes of boating events like races or any event that needs butts in the seats.

bb88
11-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm quite familiar with the exponential aspect of the deal. The problem is you have no idea who the audience is. And furthermore the goal isn't necessarily to get the users to come to websites from social media, the goal is to get those who rely on putting butts in the seats to spend an equal effort and time posting on sites such as this one.

The promoters want butts in the seats. The racers or those who rely on a venue (to do what they love) and possibly some sponsorship dollars also indirectly want butts in the seats. Sponsorship money will only come if the sponsors receive some benefit. Lets be honest. Posting anything on IG is pretty much a waste of time if you're in it for business. FB isn't much further behind as there is no direct means of advertising. Track the flow of sponsorship dollars and you'll see who needs to be fed.

Just thinking out loud really. I see a real disconnect between sites that are monetized vs social media. At least for the purposes of boating events like races or any event that needs butts in the seats.
I hear you on all fronts. But the butts in the seats you speak of nowadays are the butts in their computer chairs. You would be money ahead putting all your chips on full blown online live coverage of events and make just as much sponsorship money.

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 09:40 PM
I hear you on all fronts. But the butts in the seats you speak of nowadays are the butts in their computer chairs. You would be money ahead putting all your chips on full blown online live coverage of events and make just as much sponsorship money.

The second part of the equation is attracting viewers to sites who receive ad dollars. Ad dollars allow media outlets to monetarily support these events, sometimes all the way down to individual teams or racers. It really is a trickle down effect. Social media cuts everyone, and I mean everyone, out of the loop if you really think about it :D

bb88
11-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Neither Sheikh Hassan, Bob Teague or Joe Backyard racer really cares about the financial gain of boat racing because there is none.

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Neither Sheikh Hassan, Bob Teague or Joe Backyard racer really cares about the financial gain of boat racing because there is none.

Understood. But without the venue, the organizers, the fans, there isn't much left.

bb88
11-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Understood. But without the venue, the organizers, the fans, there isn't much left.
You are right.

C-2
11-03-2014, 10:24 PM

The truth is, boat races and poker runs are not spectator friendly. I've always thought sponsors need a reality check and realize their events will never be like the Wide World of Sports. Sponsors, vendors, they need to stop dreaming about conquering the world, and instead focus on those people who actually buy their products.

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 10:32 PM
The truth is, boat races and poker runs are not spectator friendly. I've always thought sponsors need a reality check and realize their events will never be like the Wide World of Sports. Sponsors, vendors, they need to stop dreaming about conquering the world, and instead focus on those people who actually buy their products.

Actually events like the one last weekend in Chandler and a few weeks prior in Havasu are very spectator friendly.

My initial post had to do with those who are primarily behind the scenes or are involved with these races. They actually provide a tremendous amount of content. However, I believe to the wrong audience. Or at least not primarily to the right audience.

C-2
11-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Actually events like the one last weekend in Chandler and a few weeks prior in Havasu are very spectator friendly.

My initial post had to do with those who are primarily behind the scenes or are involved with these races. They actually provide a tremendous amount of content. However, I believe to the wrong audience. Or at least not primarily to the right audience.

I used to promote Desert Storm, I was one of the original staff members promoting it at a time when everybody on the original HotBoat thumbed their noses at it, back when the city didn't want anything to do with it, and the USCG and every other law enforcement agency on the water was trying to shut it down. I left the run because of that reason, it was an event for participants, not spectators.

That said, I still think sponsors and even event organizers are reaching for the stars, not every motorsport can rise to the level of auto racing. Don't fret too much, they'll figure it out some day. Until then, let them continue to drink the social media kool aid. MySpace nearly evaporated overnight, FB and Twitter could do the same.

HB Vic
11-03-2014, 11:53 PM
I used to promote Desert Storm, I was one of the original staff members promoting it at a time when everybody on the original HotBoat thumbed their noses at it, back when the city didn't want anything to do with it, and the USCG and every other law enforcement agency on the water was trying to shut it down. I left the run because of that reason, it was an event for participants, not spectators.

That said, I still think sponsors and even event organizers are reaching for the stars, not every motorsport can rise to the level of auto racing. Don't fret too much, they'll figure it out some day. Until then, let them continue to drink the social media kool aid. MySpace nearly evaporated overnight, FB and Twitter could do the same.

Huge undertaking. Kudos to you or anyone who takes on a project like that.

We're reporters, not promoters :D

Just trying to figure out a way to draw more attention to these events so everyone wins.

Sharp shooter
11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I feel as though I am a promoter. I promote things and events that I choose to promote. Social media is the best free promotional tool out there IMO. Here's a few examples of the reach I get from Facebook.

My picture thread on PB covering the Pirates Cove show has 50,000 views. In the days before social media, we had to mail out news letters or hope for magazine coverage aside from that the only way to promote was paid advertising or word of mouth.

I keep 2 face book pages. One for V-Drive Video Productions and the other for regular use. I don't get carried away with boating content on my personal facebook page because the average friend isn't interested in that stuff.

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Nothing wrong with using social media, I don't think I said that. What I'm saying is:

Does your sport or activity relies on a venue?
Does your sport of activity rely on gate revenue to fund the event? (insurance, safety, etc)
Does your sport or activity rely on sponsorship or promotion dollars?
Would your sport or activity be meaningless without spectators or viewers?

Then I would think hard about strictly using social media.

I embellish, but imagine the NFL or NBA going underground and cutting out all of the media outlets completely. Broadcasting strictly on the web for free. It would suck.

Its apparent companies like Lucas Oil believe the sport of boat racing can be something big. Otherwise they wouldn't be involved.

Its a trickle down effect. If there isn't anything at the top to trickle down, then you're trickleless.

rioracr
11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
good example of like NASCAR has a following in each of their pro series bit the Truck races only has those who follow that racing and the Cup racing is more social but they have been around alot longer than boating sites so on this media there are three basic sites and it seems like two that don't really flow together on the surface, there is no reason not to get along as we are all boaters with ideas and like SS said he has two sites cause there are folks that have no clue of boat ownership and we have no clue of doll house building...

C-2
11-04-2014, 11:02 AM
My unqualified thoughts and observations...

You can't convince people to enjoy something they don't necessarily like.

Big dollar sponsors can throw all the money want at creating outstanding coverage, but who is watching it? I'm not and could care less because watching boat drags and boat racing is boring. And, I'm a performance boater.

Not to keep on DS, but years ago it was a blast. Why? Because - you ran in the event, you participated in the shotgun starts, the thrill was there. Now, it's watching a couple of really fast boats go by and 30 seconds later, it's over. Woo hoo!

Watching, or reading about a couple guys getting together and coming up with a plan, then building a motor to race a boat and racing that boat - that's bitchen. I know that's why racers do it and most could give two shiats less about winning, or losing, for those same reasons. Deliver that intimate, close-up experience and you'll have a winner. In that regard, social media is a great platform.

How many people are demanding streaming coverage? A couple of hundred, or tens of thousands?

The big dollar guys are riding on theory and ideologies, not reality. Perhaps the market is already capped. Maybe it's as simpla as everybody needs a job and part of that job is creating an illusion there is this giant, untapped market for boat racing? I mean, hasn't this been a rinse and repeat pattern in offshore racing, for years?

Don't let it bother you. :)

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
It seems I'm not making myself clear lol

The people who are generating the most content are not posting that content on sites such as this one, they are sharing it primarily with social media.

Sites such as this one rely on traffic. No traffic no advertisers. No advertisers no ad dollars. No ad dollars no sponsorships.

Trickle down.

Doesn't bother me. I do not rely on this site as a source of income, thank god lol.

But I would like to continue to sponsor events. So we shall see :D

C-2
11-04-2014, 11:27 AM

The people who are generating the most content are not posting that content on sites such as this one, they are sharing it primarily with social media.

Sites such as this one rely on traffic. No traffic no advertisers. No advertisers no ad dollars. No ad dollars no sponsorships.

Trickle down.

Doesn't bother me. I do not rely on this site as a source of income, thank god lol.

No, no, I understand that :)

And, it does bother you. At least a little :D

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
No, no, I understand that :)

And, it does bother you. At least a little :D

Only to the extent that so much more could be done for the sport. As far as lining my pockets with gold, ain't gonna happen. I'm so deep in to this thing I'll never see daylight LOL

Ziggy
11-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Only to the extent that so much more could be done for the sport. As far as lining my pockets with gold, ain't gonna happen. I'm so deep in to this thing I'll never see daylight LOL
Snorkeler:)

gn7
11-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Trickle down.

Vic, to be honest I couldn't tell what you were ranting about until this post.
I thought this was all discussed months ago with another thread. As I remember, I was bashed for saying the site came across as being primarily for a clique group of "friends". Much like a "social media site". I still hold that belief, and I don't think I am alone.
I respond and post on about 6 websites, some waaaay to technical for most here, but that's what I am into, and so are ALL the other members . On all but one site, I have never met a single member. Makes no difference to me. But I don't have to sift thru a one page website looking for the content I am interested in. No bacon, or Fireball threads.
Like Shooter said, he posted a thread about boat "gathering" on PB and got 48,000+ views and 340 posts. SS didn't make dime on the post, but I bet Billy, and Pirates Cove and event sponsors, and PB and its sponsors are ecstatic. I take it you are looking for something similar. Good luck!!! Just River Dave, I don't think you get it. Sorry, JMO.

I and many others appreciate your involvement with the SCSC races, and other events. But as it stands right now, come this Thanksgiving, I will be looking on PB for results and pics. Its just easier, faster, I can inter-act with people that know what the fuck they are looking and are truly interested.

On a sticky post you asked what people wanted see. 99% of it non sense. The few that aren't, did you implement the idea. How is that working out as far as posts and views? When was the last time somebody posted in your "new" marine engine forum? And when was the last time that person that made that post has posted since? When was the last time he even logged on? He just happens to be one of the smartest, talented people know.
Sorry Vic, but this just isn't the "boating" site you may think it is. Its just not "boater" user friendly and there is nobody to blame but the captain of the ship. YOU set the precedent here. YOU made it a FB site. What do you care if its about Fireball, recipes, whats blaring on somebody's radio, or the last pic they took with a phone. Its all traffic isn't it. So what if in time Teague, Status Marine, or Eliminator figure out that this isn't REALLY a boat site. Maybe they are just looking for traffic as well. Regardless if they are playing to shit load of people that don't even own a boat.

I ask myself, if I was going to spend boat related ad dollars, would spend them here? What do you think the answer is, and why?

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Vic, to be honest I couldn't tell what you were ranting about until this post.
I thought this was all discussed months ago with another thread. As I remember, I was bashed for saying the site came across as being primarily for a clique group of "friends". Much like a "social media site". I still hold that belief, and I don't think I am alone.
I respond and post on about 6 websites, some waaaay to technical for most here, but that's what I am into, and so are ALL the other members . On all but one site, I have never met a single member. Makes no difference to me. But I don't have to sift thru a one page website looking for the content I am interested in. No bacon, or Fireball threads.
Like Shooter said, he posted a thread about boat "gathering" on PB and got 48,000+ views and 340 posts. SS didn't make dime on the post, but I bet Billy, and Pirates Cove and event sponsors, and PB and its sponsors are ecstatic. I take it you are looking for something similar. Good luck!!! Just River Dave, I don't think you get it. Sorry, JMO.

I and many others appreciate your involvement with the SCSC races, and other events. But as it stands right now, come this Thanksgiving, I will be looking on PB for results and pics. Its just easier, faster, I can inter-act with people that know what the fuck they are looking and are truly interested.

On a sticky post you asked what people wanted see. 99% of it non sense. The few that aren't, did you implement the idea. How is that working out as far as posts and views? When was the last time somebody posted in your "new" marine engine forum? And when was the last time that person that made that post has posted since? When was the last time he even logged on? He just happens to be one of the smartest, talented people know.
Sorry Vic, but this just isn't the "boating" site you may think it is. Its just not "boater" user friendly and there is nobody to blame but the captain of the ship. YOU set the precedent here. YOU made it a FB site. What do you care if its about Fireball, recipes, whats blaring on somebody's radio, or the last pic they took with a phone. Its all traffic isn't it. So what if in time Teague, Status Marine, or Eliminator figure out that this isn't REALLY a boat site. Maybe they are just looking for traffic as well. Regardless if they are playing to shit load of people that don't even own a boat.

I ask myself, if I was going to spend boat related ad dollars, would spend them here? What do you think the answer is, and why?

I appreciate your feedback Bob, I really do. All I can do is try right? But I don't think I ever said I wanted this place to be exclusively a boat racing site. If PB is that site for you, then perfect. I'm happy you found a home.

But you are wrong as far as how many people on this site own boats. And not just race boats Bob. Boats they can take their friends and families out for a ride in. Boats they can go fishing or skiing in. Hell, boats they can cruise to the Florida Keys in. Sorry if that offends you, but there are other types of boats in the boating world.

Have a great day Bob. And thank you for chiming in. It really is appreciated :D

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 01:26 PM

I think you said thank you, not 100% sure about that, but you're welcome Bob. I'll still do the Regatta too. Some people are grateful, but can't please em all :D

rioracr
11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
look how long PB and RD have been around and when RD was starting up for awhile his traffic was like it is here if memory serves me right so hang in there you are pretty new and yes there are some pesky posters like Grads but when not screwing up bring boating or boating content to the site(just have to put a mod button next to their name)so just give it time and gn7 not all boaters are racer and some are just getting their feet wet so be kind and teach instead of push away..........:hmmm:

gn7
11-04-2014, 02:08 PM
But you are wrong as far as how many people on this site own boats. And not just race boats Bob. Boats they can take their friends and families out for a ride in. Boats they can go fishing or skiing in. Hell, boats they can cruise to the Florida Keys in. Sorry if that offends you, but there are other types of boats in the boating world.

Have a great day Bob. And thank you for chiming in. It really is appreciated :D

I'm not a myopic as you like to think Vic.
Not everything is a race boat, even if it faster than a Bayliner. Not even v drive only. Not all the engines are blown either. I'm more rounded than you might image Vic.

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm not a myopic as you like to think Vic.
Not everything is a race boat, even if it faster than a Bayliner. Not even v drive only. Not all the engines are blown either. I'm more rounded than you might image Vic.

Perfect Bob. I'm glad to hear it. I'm not well rounded. I'm not a racer. I enjoy the hell out of attending the races and love photographing them. I understand a little about race boats but by no means am I an expert. Never said I was.

gn7
11-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Perfect Bob. I'm glad to hear it. I'm not well rounded. I'm not a racer. I enjoy the hell out of attending the races and love photographing them. I understand a little about race boats but by no means am I an expert. Never said I was.
Never expected you to be. There is a lot more to boating than driving in circles or straight line as fast as you can.

That said, I would expect a site called "Hot Boat" to have a little hot boat content than this, races, events, sharing builds and resto's. You have to admit Vic, reading the "sandbox' forum where 99% of you traffic is, its hard to determine who does, and who doesn't even own a boat, or is even interested them aside from riding in somebody else's.

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Never expected you to be. There is a lot more to boating than driving in circles or straight line as fast as you can.

That said, I would expect a site called "Hot Boat" to have a little hot boat content than this, races, events, sharing builds and resto's. You have to admit Vic, reading the "sandbox' forum where 99% of you traffic is, its hard to determine who does, and who doesn't even own a boat, or is even interested them aside from riding in somebody else's.

I've learned not to expect anything from anybody Bob. You'll always end up being disappointed :D

Milkmoney
11-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I like to post where when I go back in the thread and not see other post deleted ,
Why I am done posting here .... And other reasons.

Vic , I can say that I really did wish the best for you and your website. I don't wish bad things on people. Ok well most. Lol

Actually I even posted on rdp that I wish the best for you and your site. You will see me log in jus to be able to see most recent post , but will return to being a lurker :).

I am not a social media person other than rdp and Pinterest and another boat site , I am a dummy with a smart phone 👍

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I like to post where when I go back in the thread and not see other post deleted ,
Why I am done posting here .... And other reasons.

Vic , I can say that I really did wish the best for you and your website. I don't wish bad things on people. Ok well most. Lol

Actually I even posted on rdp that I wish the best for you and your site. You will see me log in jus to be able to see most recent post , but will return to being a lurker :).

I am not a social media person other than rdp and Pinterest and another boat site , I am a dummy with a smart phone 

Internet suicides make me sad. RIP Milky :D

Sharp shooter
11-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I think Bob is basically right. You go where the content is. This site is called Hot Boat, but to me it's a little soft in the Hot Boating dept. I think sponsoring events is a good idea and I would bet many people check in with this site after seeing the displays banners and moho vinyl only to find very little.

Just my 02

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I think Bob is basically right. You go where the content is. This site is called Hot Boat, but to me it's a little soft in the Hot Boating dept. I think sponsoring events is a good idea and I would bet many people check in with this site after seeing the displays banners and moho vinyl only to find very little.

Just my 02

Lol why not knock the Chevelle too Jerry.

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry you guys don't like it here. I sent a note to accounting to send you a refund.

Eli
11-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry you guys don't like it here. I sent a note to accounting to send you a refund.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Milkmoney
11-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Internet suicides make me sad. RIP Milky :D

Not suicide HB jus thought u might like to know. But not sure you do.

Also looking up makes me see more than what I need

Now there are a few guys on here that talk to at rdp that I would talk to here. :)

See no suicide 👍

JBS
11-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Tough crowd tonight Vic :)

If you ask a question you will get an answer. The answer may have nothing to do with the question.:hmmm:

Fuck if I know what I am getting at. Just have some fun. You owe it to yourself:partyguy:

Milkmoney
11-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Tough crowd tonight Vic :)

If you ask a question you will get an answer. The answer may have nothing to do with the question.:hmmm:

Fuck if I know what I am getting at. Just have some fun. You owe it to yourself:partyguy:

You know what your getting at , we have shared pm's like others also.

Sharp shooter
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Lol why not knock the Chevelle too Jerry.

Never! Your chevelle is bad ass! :thumbup:

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Never! Your chevelle is bad ass! :thumbup:

It's just everything else that's shit? Ok cool 👍

AZKC
11-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Listen to the Dr.

http://www.feistees.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/whtby.jpg

Baby steps..... Bob

Sharp shooter
11-04-2014, 08:35 PM
It's just everything else that's shit? Ok cool 👍

You drinking again Vic?

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 08:52 PM
You drinking again Vic?

No Jerry, did you start drinking again??

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Damn can't find the winky on tapatalk 😜

C-2
11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
You bastards don't shut up, I'mma start drinking and it's been 10 years! :P

I appreciate the forum you provide, with no expectations or demands. Thanks, Vic :)

HB Vic
11-04-2014, 10:12 PM
You bastards don't shut up, I'mma start drinking and it's been 10 years! :P

I appreciate the forum you provide, with no expectations or demands. Thanks, Vic :)

Lol I'm ready for some hot tea.

You're welcome and thank you :D

C-2
11-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Hey - get a room!
Fresh off the Facebook press- Facebook "rooms"

http://www.inc.com/carrie-kerpen/three-reasons-to-pay-attention-to-facebook-rooms-.html

http://time.com/3534690/facebook-anonymous-app-rooms/

Sharp shooter
11-04-2014, 10:25 PM
No Jerry, did you start drinking again??

I never started...

gn7
11-05-2014, 08:26 AM

I had no idea where you were going with this thread, and then I thought I did. Now I am confused again by your "I don't really give a fuck" attitude.

I can't see how the site can be anything different if you don't give a fuck. What are YOU doing to make it different. If you're not looking for a change, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU START THIS THREAD? Again, I am confuse.

Eli sums it up best with her post. (#39), and I am quite certain its the feelings of few others. If that's the main crowd you're playing to, this place is stuck in a quagmire and it can never be any different

HB Vic
11-05-2014, 08:37 AM
I had no idea where you were going with this thread, and then I thought I did. Now I am confused again by your "I don't really give a fuck" attitude.

I can't see how the site can be anything different if you don't give a fuck. What are YOU doing to make it different. If you're not looking for a change, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU START THIS THREAD? Again, I am confuse.

Eli sums it up best with her post. (#39), and I am quite certain its the feelings of few others. If that's the main crowd you're playing to, this place is stuck in a quagmire and it can never be any different

It's obvious you're confused.

Have a great day Bob. Don't let it get to you. Life's too short to deal with the BS.

Ciao :D

HB Vic
11-05-2014, 09:05 AM
My last thought on your derail. Because what the two of you are posting now has absolutely nothing to do with my original post. But that's okay, I understand you needed to vent.

Of almost everyone on this site, the two of you, Bob and Jerry, probably have the most knowledge and content to post. And I know in the past you have posted a lot of good content, thank you for that. But your constant griping falls on deaf ears. You complained constantly about Grads. So I got rid of him. You complained about Fireball. No more Fireball posts. I got rid of a few other people as well. Apparently not good enough for you. But that's ok. I'll keep trying to please you. Maybe some day you'll be able to say "good job". Well....maybe not :D

gn7
11-05-2014, 09:42 AM
My last thought on your derail. Because what the two of you are posting now has absolutely nothing to do with my original post. But that's okay, I understand you needed to vent.

Of almost everyone on this site, the two of you, Bob and Jerry, probably have the most knowledge and content to post. And I know in the past you have posted a lot of good content, thank you for that. But your constant griping falls on deaf ears. You complained constantly about Grads. So I got rid of him. You complained about Fireball. No more Fireball posts. I got rid of a few other people as well. Apparently not good enough for you. But that's ok. I'll keep trying to please you. Maybe some day you'll be able to say "good job". Well....maybe not :D

Vic, YOU started this thread, you must of had a reason.
Who gives a fuck about Fireball threads. It was just a typical thread, no different than "your last phone Pic" or whats on your radio. Great side discussions, but they dominate the site.

Bottom line Vic, why did you start this thread, and what EXACTLY were you hoping to see posted here.

HB Vic
11-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Vic, YOU started this thread, you must of had a reason.
Who gives a fuck about Fireball threads. It was just a typical thread, no different than "your last phone Pic" or whats on your radio. Great side discussions, but they dominate the site.

Bottom line Vic, why did you start this thread, and what EXACTLY were you hoping to see posted here.

Bob wasn't hoping to see anything. You're a smart man Bob. I think I was pretty clear before the derail. I won't regurgitate it again.

You can have the last word Bob :D

C-2
11-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Back to the original topic - never underestimate the power of of social media, if targeted correctly.

Using mostly FB, we defeated the real estate developer.

Our budget was $20,000. He spent (at least, what is reported and not considering any back door deals) $1.75MM. And lost.

bb88
11-05-2014, 07:37 PM
For fucks sake go do a performance evaluation already.... :D

Sharp shooter
11-05-2014, 09:38 PM

:secret:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608012931022454848&pid=15.1&P=0

----------

HB Vic
11-05-2014, 10:14 PM
:secret:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608012931022454848&pid=15.1&P=0

----------

Ancient Chinese secret lol