PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever wondered?

Eli
10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Why some jalapeños are spicy and some are not? I do??? What's the deal? Is there a secret? I'm so frustrated with my food being bland vs so spicy it feels like a check my mouth wrote that my ass can't cash.

Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mrs.K034
10-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Why some jalapeños are spicy and some are not? I do??? What's the deal? Is there a secret? I'm so frustrated with my food being bland vs so spicy it feels like a check my mouth wrote that my ass can't cash.

Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I always thought the seeds gave them their kick, so less seeds, less kick? Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-2
10-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Always wondered that too...fresh Jalapeno's vs pickled types, vs different pickled types where I see the most variance. IMO, there is no logical answer and if you are a foodie or cook, you know that's true. Sometimes Herdez Jalapeno's are totally flat, other times, watch out. Love the carrots too!

None of it matters though - these days I go straight to Sriracha, I think it's made with Thai chili's, which makes sense considering I can eat a ton of Kung Pao without the day fater issues. Mmmm, rooster sauce, makes anything taste like a spicy sushi roll!

Eli
10-19-2014, 05:35 PM
I always thought the seeds gave them their kick, so less seeds, less kick? Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always wondered that too...fresh Jalapeno's vs pickled types, vs different pickled types where I see the most variance. IMO, there is no logical answer and if you are a foodie or cook, you know that's true. Sometimes Herdez Jalapeno's are totally flat, other times, watch out. Love the carrots too!

None of it matters though - these days I go straight to Sriracha, I think it's made with Thai chili's, which makes sense considering I can eat a ton of Kung Pao without the day fater issues. Mmmm, rooster sauce, makes anything taste like a spicy sushi roll!

I'm convinced it's a jalapeño conspiracy. I made my typical fish taco sauce and it's like habanero peppers. Ugh! They're worse than women. I can't understand them!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm convinced it's a jalapeño conspiracy. I made my typical fish taco sauce and it's like habanero peppers. Ugh! They're worse than women. I can't understand them!

Sent from my Bat Cave

I consider myself a bit of an expert bc I eat a lot of chiles. However I have the same problem you guys state. I buy serranos to eat, they are all the same hot. Jalapeños are still the best base for salsa etc, but bc they are unpredictable we keep serranos or habaneros and add to mixture if it's not hot enough with jalapeños.

My guess is it's how and where they are grown, we're probably getting some from New York City. 😉

CH3NO2

Eli
10-19-2014, 06:04 PM
I consider myself a bit of an expert bc I eat a lot of chiles. However I have the same problem you guys state. I buy serranos to eat, they are all the same hot. Jalapeños are still the best base for salsa etc, but bc they are unpredictable we keep serranos or habaneros and add to mixture if it's not hot enough with jalapeños.

My guess is it's how and where they are grown, we're probably getting some from New York City. 😉

CH3NO2

Well what do you do when you used too many super hot jalapeños? Lol they're worse than a menopausal lady. Ugh!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Well what do you do when you used too many super hot jalapeños? Lol they're worse than a menopausal lady. Ugh!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Then I'm the only one that eats it, and that's fine by me. 😉

Seriously though, add another tomato or cilantro.

CH3NO2

Ziggy
10-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Peppers and Ziggy= no bueno. :D

Eli
10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Then I'm the only one that eats it, and that's fine by me. 😉

Seriously though, add another tomato or cilantro.

CH3NO2

My mouth is on fire...I just hope I'm not up all night bc I've gotta be up at 3:30 am 😏

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-19-2014, 06:20 PM
My mouth is on fire...I just hope I'm not up all night bc I've gotta be up at 3:30 am 😏

Sent from my Bat Cave

Send it over here. 😊

You can add the long green ones too if you don't want it to get to tomato'y. They are usually mild.

CH3NO2

Eli
10-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Send it over here. 😊

You can add the long green ones too if you don't want it to get to tomato'y. They are usually mild.

CH3NO2

I made my fish taco sauce. It's yummy, but has a kick and a punch. Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

C-2
10-19-2014, 06:50 PM
I made my fish taco sauce. It's yummy, but has a kick and a punch. Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

What do you put in it?

I usually just do a quick Mexican crème sauce, mayo/milk/lime juice and salt pepper.

Whacha got?

Eli
10-19-2014, 06:51 PM
What do you put in it?

I usually just do a quick Mexican crème sauce, mayo/milk/lime juice and salt pepper.

Whacha got?

Mayo, cilantro, jalapeño, lime, salt and pepper.

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
10-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Call me crazy but I like Sriracha on pizza! Lol

C-2
10-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Call me crazy but I like Sriracha on pizza! Lol

Love the stuff, I thought it was funny as hell when the Irwindale plant problems created a slight hysteria. I'll admit, I stocked up on it!

C-2
10-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Mayo, cilantro, jalapeño, lime, salt and pepper.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mmm, similar, thanks.

Eli
10-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Mmm, similar, thanks.

Very similar. 👍

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
10-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Love the stuff, I thought it was funny as hell when the Irwindale plant problems created a slight hysteria. I'll admit, I stocked up on it!

Yah that was a big debacle. I thought for sure they were going to pack up and move to Texas lol

mr.ewd
10-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Did anyone try google? lol

C-2
10-19-2014, 08:00 PM

LMGTFY or SIWOTI? :D :)

No Alton Brown scientific explanation needed, they are simply inconsistent and that's just the way it is.

Eli
10-19-2014, 08:01 PM

LMGTFY or SIWOTI? :D :)

No Alton Brown scientific explanation needed, they are simply inconsistent and that's just the way it is.

It's all over the place. No solid explanation.

Sent from my Bat Cave

C-2
10-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Yah that was a big debacle. I thought for sure they were going to pack up and move to Texas lol

I saw that story and called it for what it was...local city corruption at its finest. Only, they didn't count on the media attention, so it was a quick about-face before it drew the attention of the DOJ. Somebody hated their asses...but it wasn't the public :swear

314joey
10-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Who works harder;

the people at the DMV

or

the people at the Post Office.

SBS933
10-20-2014, 10:34 AM
My mouth is on fire...I just hope I'm not up all night bc I've gotta be up at 3:30 am ��

Sent from my Bat Cave Watch out for the exit wound :shock:

Stainless
10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
watch out for the exit wound :shock:

😝 👍

ch3no2

2manymustangs
10-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Who works harder;

the people at the DMV

or

the people at the Post Office.

yes...

jordy
10-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I've run through hundreds of pounds of jalapenos over the years for Taco and Tequila Tuesday and have run across the same issue. Typically when making pico I'm using 4-6 of them so law of averages takes over. An old wise messican once told me it had to do with how much water they received while growing the peppers. The less water, the hotter the pepper. Is it true? Hard to say. I typically make a regular batch of pico and then one with some habanero to wake it up a little bit.

If you want to get really gutsy (pun intended) add a ghost pepper to the mix. That will eat a hole in whatever you try and contain it in, including you. Crazy hot!

314joey
10-20-2014, 03:18 PM
I've run through hundreds of pounds of jalapenos over the years!

Explain "run through"

Eli
10-20-2014, 03:54 PM
I've run through hundreds of pounds of jalapenos over the years for Taco and Tequila Tuesday and have run across the same issue. Typically when making pico I'm using 4-6 of them so law of averages takes over. An old wise messican once told me it had to do with how much water they received while growing the peppers. The less water, the hotter the pepper. Is it true? Hard to say. I typically make a regular batch of pico and then one with some habanero to wake it up a little bit.

If you want to get really gutsy (pun intended) add a ghost pepper to the mix. That will eat a hole in whatever you try and contain it in, including you. Crazy hot!

It really is a guessing game. But, you'd think that after all these years I'd taste the pepper before putting it into the food.

Explain "run through"

Pun intended? Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

jordy
10-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Explain "run through"

Pun intended? Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Just seeing who's paying attention. :shhh:

Eli
10-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Super spicy and yummy

Sent from my Bat Cave

Bobbytheboozer
10-20-2014, 04:36 PM

Ohhh ghost pepper.... those things suck!

I had a friend get me with one of those. He mixed it up in a chocolate pudding snack pack and gave it to me on my birthday a few years ago. I spent the whole night in the bathroom

jordy
10-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Ohhh ghost pepper.... those things suck!

I had a friend get me with one of those. He mixed it up in a chocolate pudding snack pack and gave it to me on my birthday a few years ago. I spent the whole night in the bathroom

Some friend... that is kind of funny though. There are some really funny videos of people who think they're tough and get mixed up with a ghost pepper... The fact that they're dried out typically seems to just add a time delay to the reaction and give people a false sense of confidence before they end up crying in the fetal position. Oh, and milk apparently doesn't help with the ghost pepper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZstObB4RVsQ

Eli
10-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm so glad I don't poop!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Bobbytheboozer
10-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Some friend... that is kind of funny though. There are some really funny videos of people who think they're tough and get mixed up with a ghost pepper... The fact that they're dried out typically seems to just add a time delay to the reaction and give people a false sense of confidence before they end up crying in the fetal position.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZstObB4RVsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Lol so true. The dried ghost pepper is no joke. You try not to cry, drop to the floor and cry a lot

jordy
10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
How about the Carolina Reaper? Over 2,000,000 Scovile. The typical habanero is around 100K, and the ghost pepper is in the 1,000,000 range. That's just crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvogCn7Or6o

djunkie
10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm so glad I don't poop!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Cough cough bullshit!!!! Cough cough. Lol

Eli
10-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Cough cough bullshit!!!! Cough cough. Lol

You have zero evidence to support your bullshit...bc I don't poop.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
10-20-2014, 05:15 PM
You have zero evidence to support your bullshit...bc I don't poop.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Well you do have a point I guess. Lol

RVRKID
10-21-2014, 11:17 AM
My sister and I were talking about that, we BBQ jalapeños with Feta on them and some are hot and some just have flavor.

rivergames
10-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Well you do have a point I guess. Lol

I just picture girls poop like a McDonalds soft serve ice cream machine. Either vanilla, Chocolate or a mix.

Except my first girlfriend when I was 15 and she accidently poops all over me and my walls when I was doing her in the pooper

riverrunner1984
10-21-2014, 12:19 PM
I just picture girls poop like a McDonalds soft serve ice cream machine. Either vanilla, Chocolate or a mix.

Except my first girlfriend when I was 15 and she accidently poops all over me and my walls when I was doing her in the pooper

Seriously LMFAO at my desk! :LMAOsmiley:

Bobbytheboozer
10-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Lmfao!!!!! Like a shotgun blast from the poop chute! Wahbaaaam!

Eli
10-21-2014, 04:50 PM

This is fitting in this thread. I've always wondered what happens in this situation.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
10-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Dude that is fucking disgusting. Lol

Eli
10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Lmfao!!!!! Like a shotgun blast from the poop chute! Wahbaaaam!

Does that make her a Hershey squirter?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Bobbytheboozer
10-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Does that make her a Hershey squirter?

Sent from my Bat Cave
I'd say yes. With that kind of chocolate doo doo butter, might as well call little miss mud butt

rivergames
10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
This is fitting in this thread. I've always wondered what happens in this situation.

Sent from my Bat Cave
Life is short so you gotta try new tricks. Just remember, Shit happens!

Eli
10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Life is short so you gotta try new tricks. Just remember, Shit happens!

Shit happened to get all over you lol 😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

rivergames
10-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Shit happened to get all over you lol ��

Sent from my Bat Cave
Hard to get scurred of anything after that wonderful experience

Eli
10-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Hard to get scurred of anything after that wonderful experience

I know right? After that it's like bring it on baby!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Bobbytheboozer
10-21-2014, 07:23 PM
And of course, all this talk about BM's and I get food poisoning...crap!

Eli
10-21-2014, 07:25 PM
And of course, all this talk about BM's and I get food poisoning...crap!

I'm sorry but I'm going to need you to tell me if under these circumstances was the pun intended, or not intended?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Bobbytheboozer
10-21-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry but I'm going to need you to tell me if under these circumstances was the pun intended, or not intended?

Sent from my Bat Cave
Lol intended

pvhca1
10-22-2014, 02:40 PM

The wise old Messsican was right. The seeds add some to the heat but nothing like the veins. Peppers are watered sparingly so that they retain the water in the veins. Experiment, take the seeds out and most peppers are still rather hot. When I grow mine I water them right when the leaves start wilting. Serrano's and Jauitos(sp)(yellow) are my favorite, Jalapeno's are so inconsistent.

ChumpChange
10-22-2014, 02:56 PM

One of the funniest things I've ever read was when you posted that story!

Bobbytheboozer
10-22-2014, 03:07 PM
One of the funniest things I've ever read was when you posted that story!
I was at a late lunch with a few friends and started laughing really loud. Everyone looked at me like I was going mad