PDA

View Full Version : Scanning old photos

314joey
10-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Terri found this old picture of me, it's the first picture she took of me after we met, yes, it's yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago of me (25+lbs lighter) a lot younger standing next to my new Z28 back in the late 80s, I'm styling ain't I. :action-smiley-035:

I women loved that car.

ChumpChange
10-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Please tell me you have a pony tail that we can't see......

28eliminator
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Speaking of scanning pics 😜, I got about 1000 old pics I need to scan. Any recommendations on a decent photo scanner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stainless
10-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Speaking of scanning pics 😜, I got about 1000 old pics I need to scan. Any recommendations on a decent photo scanner?

Subscribed, I do too.
I think the PIA is editing them. Might be money better spent paying a service to handle it.

CH3NO2

Eli
10-14-2014, 08:43 PM
You're so cute! How long have you and Terri been together? She looks younger than me.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Speaking of scanning pics , I got about 1000 old pics I need to scan. Any recommendations on a decent photo scanner?

Actually the scaner on an HP inkjet printer works pretty good....you just need to make sure you do them at the maximum resolution available 600 or 1200 DPI :thumb:

2manymustangs
10-15-2014, 05:40 AM
Actually the scaner on an HP inkjet printer works pretty good....you just need to make sure you do them at the maximum resolution available 600 or 1200 DPI :thumb:

Si senior ^^^ what he said, they aren't GREAT but the results are OK...

My son scans negatives on a super doooper flat bed scanner at his college and each scan takes over one hour on max resolution I believe he told me... The end results are better than any prints / jpegs that the typical low resolution digital cameras take...

I think you have to first decide how much time you have on your hands and do the math...

1000 prints x 5 minutes each = 83.333 hours :wink2:

I typically end up getting roped into doing a bunch of scans when we have weddings or funerals or parties for slide shows...

The up side is that I have great digital pics of my late brother and other family that are more precious than gold to me that my family and I can open and look at regularly...

Try your home flat bed set on the highest resolution first like Paul said and I think you will be pleased...

I would add to what Paul said, spend 60-100 bucks on a good western digital 1/2 TB passport external hard drive OR two and start making folders/directories for the pics. Name the directories so that you can quickly/easily find-update-amend-back up... ON second thought, get TWO 1/2 TB (or bigger) WD passport external HDs and mirror them manually... I keep three and my son has at least three of his own, mark / identify one as your master and start organizing your cell pics/prized digital family/friend JPEGs now before it is too late...

Handle the passport with care and keep it in the SHOCK proof case and it will last a long time. DON'T let it sit inside the protective case and run for hours because it can get hot...

Cool pic Joey, here is one of Linda and I around early 80's, typical high resolution scan from our HP scanner... :)

314joey
10-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Please tell me you have a pony tail that we can't see......

No ponytail, but I had curls, so it was the "party in the back and business in the front" haircut.

You're so cute! How long have you and Terri been together? She looks younger than me.

Sent from my Bat Cave

We met on July 19th 1989, it's been a while and she was a child when I met her, she's a few years younger than me, that's the way all second wives are.....................lmao.

Eli
10-15-2014, 06:14 AM
No ponytail, but I had curls, so it was the "party in the back and business in the front" haircut.

We met on July 19th 1989, it's been a while and she was a child when I met her, she's a few years younger than me, that's the way all second wives are.....................lmao.

So I'm either gonna have to be someone's first wife, or marry someone in their 50's?

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
10-15-2014, 06:16 AM

That's what we use too, it a combo unit, scans, faxes, prints, copies, HP has some cool unit on the market now.

Si senior

The up side is that I have great digital pics of my late brother and other family that are more precious than gold to me that my family and I can open and look at regularly...

I would add to what Paul said, spend 60-100 bucks on a good western digital 1/2 TB passport external hard drive OR two and start making folders/directories for the pics. Name the directories so that you can quickly/easily find-update-amend-back up... ON second thought, get TWO 1/2 TB (or bigger) WD passport external HDs and mirror them manually... I keep three and my son has at least three of his own, mark / identify one as your master and start organizing your cell pics/prized digital family/friend JPEGs now before it is too late...

Cool pic Joey, here is one of Linda and I around early 80's, typical high resolution scan from our HP scanner... :)
]

You guys are styling too.............don't you love to look back at old pics.

314joey
10-15-2014, 06:19 AM
So I'm either gonna have to be someone's first wife, or marry someone in their 50's?

Sent from my Bat Cave

I'm nine years older than her, normally older guys are more established, I was both, established and fun, she'll kill me for posting this, she just turned 50, I think she looks dahm good for 50.

Just find a good man, time will tell if he's the real one, I wish the best for you.

Eli
10-15-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm nine years older than her, normally older guys are more established, I was both, established and fun, she'll kill me for posting this, she just turned 50, I think she looks dahm good for 50.

Just find a good man, time will tell if he's the real one, I wish the best for you.

Terri looks amazing! I thought she was in her mid-late 30's. I know happiness keeps you young.

Age is just a number. I'm rather patient in the "love" department, what's meant to be is meant to be, right?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Age is just a number. I'm rather patient in the "love" department, what's meant to be is meant to be, right?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Have you tried one of these? 😉

CH3NO2

314joey
10-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Terri looks amazing! I thought she was in her mid-late 30's. I know happiness keeps you young.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Don't settle, you'll find what you want......................thanks BTW.

Eli
10-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Don't settle, you'll find what you want......................thanks BTW.

I won't...I'd rather be happy and single vs married and miserable ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
10-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Sent from my Bat Cave

Agreed! Age is def just a number! Kim and I are a perfect example of that.

Sharp shooter
10-15-2014, 09:05 AM
I bought a Canoscan about 5 years ago. It scans prints, negatives or slides. I would guess I've put about 200,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's still working fine. It's way better than your typical $80 HP desk top scanner.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/scanners-copiers-fax/film-and-negative-scanners/canoscan-9000f-mark-ii-color-image-scanner

My wife is 14 years younger than me. This pic is a year before we got married in 2002.

314joey
10-15-2014, 10:24 AM
These younger women know us guys with experience are great catches.

Eli
10-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Have you tried one of these? 😉

CH3NO2

What is that?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
What is that?

Sent from my Bat Cave

It's a stud finder, not only finds them but measures composition and hardness too. 😃

CH3NO2

djunkie
10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
What is that?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stud finder. Lol

Eli
10-15-2014, 11:56 AM
It's a stud finder, not only finds them but measures composition and hardness too. 😃

CH3NO2

Stud finder. Lol

I need one of those...special with the composition and hardness measurements.

Is it me or did it just get very warm 😳☺️😊

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
10-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Sent from my Bat Cave

This model lets you know if there is electricity present too. You know, so you're not wasting time on low voltage. 😉

CH3NO2

Eli
10-15-2014, 01:28 PM
This model lets you know if there is electricity present too. You know, so you're not wasting time on low voltage. 😉

CH3NO2

No body wants to waste time on low voltage 😉

I'm gonna buy one on Amazon

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave
Do you recall the "what is too old" conversation?

Eli
10-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Do you recall the "what is too old" conversation?

No I thought men improve with age...like wine??

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave
You're using the stud finder the wrong way....the heat is generated later on with his tool, not your tool. ;):)

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
No I thought men improve with age...like wine??

Sent from my Bat Cave
Did I say something to make you think otherwise?

Eli
10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
You're using the stud finder the wrong way....the heat is generated later on with his tool, not your tool. ;):)

Is there a heat generation finder tool?? I need one of those too, I think.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Is there a heat generation finder tool?? I need one of those too, I think.

Sent from my Bat Cave
Seems you found that trigger already.
Us guys got it easy...our finder tool is called greenbacks, gauranteed to work...lol:D:cool:

Eli
10-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Us guys got it easy...our finder tool is called greenbacks, gauranteed to work...lol:D:cool:

Guaranteed...FML 😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Well I'm broke so count me out. Lol

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Well I'm broke so count me out. Lol
Ah, you flashed your greenbacks a while back already, you're set;):cool:

djunkie
10-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Ah, you flashed your greenbacks a while back already, you're set;):cool:

We're talking about money right? 😳☺️☺️

28eliminator
10-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Subscribed, I do too.
I think the PIA is editing them. Might be money better spent paying a service to handle it.

CH3NO2

I don't feel that rich 😕, sounds expensive. I don't mind taking the time to do it, a little here and there.. How bad could it be 😳

I have a ton of slides to do as well. I had a nice HP photo scanner I bought about 13 or 14 years ago, and it worked ok, but finally gave up.

I bought a Canoscan about 5 years ago. It scans prints, negatives or slides. I would guess I've put about 200,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's still working fine. It's way better than your typical $80 HP desk top scanner.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/scanners-copiers-fax/film-and-negative-scanners/canoscan-9000f-mark-ii-color-image-scanner

My wife is 14 years younger than me. This pic is a year before we got married in 2002.

This looks like a nice unit (the scanner😊). As long as it will do slides, as well as pictures, it would work. Thanks.

Sent from somewhere on the water