PDA

View Full Version : Ebola, can it or can't it?

2manymustangs
10-08-2014, 10:38 AM
What say ye? Pandemic or not?

What is to stop 20 or 30 infected people in western Africa from going into the West Bank, Gaza, Jerusalem and starting the beginning of the end??? Walking breathing time bombs...

The former variable, known as virulence, is high for Ebola. In general, WHO says, Ebola can have a 90 percent case fatality rate. The strain currently spreading through West Africa carries a 55 percent mortality rate, making it, on average, more deadly than the Bubonic Plague, Yellow Fever, SARS, or MERS—Middle East Respiratory Syndrome—which, since 2012, has infected at least 834 people and killed 288.

According to RMS, Ebola’s high virulence is mitigated by its low transmissibility. (As the researchers point out, virulence and transmission generally have an inverse relationship, as pathogens that readily kill their hosts have less time to spread). Ebola can only be transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids. As such, each person infected with Ebola transmits the disease to only about 1.5 people. By comparison, each smallpox case, which is often transmitted through airborne droplets of saliva, produces about five new infections. And each measles infection, which also spreads through airborne saliva, can produces more than 10 new cases.

The balance between Ebola’s virulence and transmissibility means that, according to RMS, under proper conditions, an outbreak is unlikely to become a global pandemic.

http://www.newsweek.com/study-suggests-ebola-unlikely-become-global-pandemic-266238

314joey
10-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Especially with the Southern border open the way it is like a swinging door, it would be easy for a "crazy" to purposely infect themselves and then cross the border and start coming in contact with the public, it would be almost impossible to find the person, don't kid yourself, it could happen.

Stainless
10-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Just read the man in Texas died.

CH3NO2

2manymustangs
10-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Especially with the Southern border open the way it is like a swinging door, it would be easy for a "crazy" to purposely infect themselves and then cross the border and start coming in contact with the public, it would be almost impossible to find the person, don't kid yourself, it could happen.

I dont see any way that the bad guys COULD be stopped... No matter if they take it to MX and up into the US or directly into NYC or if they take their time and go to Turkey then to Greece then to UK then to Canada then to ....................... OR to Indonesia then to Vietnam then to China then to.....................................??????????? ??

Just read the man in Texas died.

CH3NO2

yep, clearly there is NO CURE... and 55+% fatality rate...

riverrunner1984
10-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Def a ticking time bomb!!!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/?lead=frisco-patient-exhibiting-ebola-symptoms

314joey
10-08-2014, 01:05 PM
A second dude in Dallas, he came in contact with the guy who died today, what a friggin' mess.

2manymustangs
10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't know about youall but I have ZERO faith in the CDC or the red cross's ability to contain/control anythng like this...

Climbing down off of my soap box now...

314joey
10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't know about youall but I have ZERO faith in the CDC or the red cross's ability to contain/control anythng like this...

I'm with you Brother, like they would tell us if anything was wrong, yea, right.

2manymustangs
10-08-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm with you Brother, like they would tell us if anything was wrong, yea, right.

I know some high ups at the red cross and some of the stories make me shutter... :(

Slacker
10-08-2014, 05:11 PM
A second dude in Dallas, he came in contact with the guy who died today, what a friggin' mess.

Not good, I just talked to my wife who is visiting our son in Frisco, TX. The second guy lives down the street from my son.

riverrunner1984
10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Not good, I just talked to my wife who is visiting our son in Frisco, TX. The second guy lives down the street from my son.

Now that is scary hitting so close to home with a family member

Eli
10-08-2014, 07:34 PM
You don't even have symptoms for a few days while you're contagious.

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
You don't even have symptoms for a few days while you're contagious.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I haven't looked too much into Ebola but I thought you were only contagious while symptoms are present. I only know what I hear on the radio.

Eli
10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
I haven't looked too much into Ebola but I thought you were only contagious while symptoms are present. I only know what I hear on the radio.

That's just what I heard on the news, it's not necessarily reliable. They also said it only transfers through bodily fluids. Weird

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

That's just what I heard on the news, it's not necessarily reliable. They also said it only transfers through bodily fluids. Weird
Sent from my Bat Cave

Yes, only contagious while symptoms are present. Generally, there is a 14-21 day incubation period and then you just feel like you have the flu. It gets progressively worse from there....

Yes, only passed through bodily fluids, but that can be very common....Example, you shake someones hand and notice it was damp not thinking about it, you wipe your face....there is a chance you can get it. At the gym, how much sweat is around that place??? I think it can easily be transferred there....
Bottom line, it is a scary disease.....

One positive thing I heard on the radio is that it is highly unlikely to be a global pandemic because it takes too long to kill someone from the incubation period to the time of death. In addition, it is not airborne.

2manymustangs
10-16-2014, 12:51 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/nurse-contracted-ebola-called-cdc-flight-official/story?id=26232809

314joey
10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Stupid azz knew she had a fever and still got on that plane and she's a nurse and she knew she was around Duncan, what a clown, this is what scares me silly people not helping to control the problem, but make it worse, now she's possible infected someone else.

riverrunner1984
10-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Stupid azz knew she had a fever and still got on that plane and she's a nurse and she knew she was around Duncan, what a clown, this is what scares me silly people not helping to control the problem, but make it worse, now she's possible infected someone else.

I agree that she is a dumb ass for getting on the plane but how dumb is the CDC? She called them numerous times and told them she was around Duncan and she had a low grade fever of 99.5. Since it wasnt 100.4 the CDC told her it was safe to fly.
These are the people in charge of the outbreak and controlling it here....Seriously WTF is wrong with them?

HB Vic
10-16-2014, 02:06 PM
I agree that she is a dumb ass for getting on the plane but how dumb is the CDC? She called them numerous times and told them she was around Duncan and she had a low grade fever of 99.5. Since it wasnt 100.4 the CDC told her it was safe to fly.
These are the people in charge of the outbreak and controlling it here....Seriously WTF is wrong with them?

They don't want to create a panic situation. Because if people panic someone might get hurt. LOL

2manymustangs
10-16-2014, 02:36 PM

I would like to direct you back to post #7 of this thread... :grumble

314joey
10-16-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't want to get political here, but I have 0% faith in our gubment now, it's run by a bunch of career politicians who could really give a chit about the public other then our tax dollars.

Stainless
10-17-2014, 09:17 PM
After watching the news tonight I'm getting a flu shot ASAP.
Ebola and Flu have similar early symptoms, therefore flu can be mistaken for Ebola. That likely would cause EMS to treat you as an Ebola case. This could cause an unnecessary overload on EMS and hospitals during flu season.

CH3NO2

314joey
10-18-2014, 06:01 AM
Soon to be travel plans

riverrunner1984
10-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Lol!!!