PDA

View Full Version : Grass Fed Beef

Eli
09-29-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm not talking about the kind of grass TBI likes...this beef is delicious!!! At Whole Foods it's $16-29 a pound and not many options. Tonight, I'll have a steak from Sprouts. It's not much cheaper than WF, but if it's not as yummy I'll pay the extra charge at WF.

I found a farm here in San Diego that sells it but daym it's expensive, unless you buy in bulk. I ordered 3 steaks, albeit I did order some yummy cuts, it was over $80, not including shipping. The best option was 1/4 of a cow, 100 pounds for $1,000. That's super cheap, if they store it in a freezer for me. Last thing I want is a beef freezer next to my wine frig. Although, they seem to be just as delicious and expensive. ;)

Has anyone had it? Where do you get your beef?

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Sounds interesting. But I think I'd like to try it before I buy it :D

SBS933
09-29-2014, 08:06 AM
A friend at work eats Sprouts steak a lot, he swears the grass fed beef got rid of his digestive problems.

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Sounds interesting. But I think I'd like to try it before I buy it :D
I'm definitely trying it bf I buy 100 pounds. I'll get my 3 steaks second week of October. I can't wait.

A friend at work eats Sprouts steak a lot, he swears the grass fed beef got rid of his digestive problems.
I believe it. I feel much better and I cannot express just how delicious it is. I also started eating the chicken that's hormone free and that's yummy too. I found it very strange that the Breast was so juicy.

Consider Harris Ranch Beef,many shops carry their product.IN Out is Harris Ranch Beef.
www.harrisranchbeef.com
Thank you! I'll try them.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
09-29-2014, 09:55 AM
I have a bunch of relatives in Nebraska that farm and raise cattle. (My dads from there). We go back for deer season often and a couple times when we didn't get deer we'd pitch in and buy a side of beef. One of my cousins sets us up with one. I'm not sure if it's grass fed or what they call it but it's some special kind. It's always been some really good meat. Fills our freezer for a good year.

Eli
09-29-2014, 10:00 AM
I have a bunch of relatives in Nebraska that farm and raise cattle. (My dads from there). We go back for deer season often and a couple times when we didn't get deer we'd pitch in and buy a side of beef. One of my cousins sets us up with one. I'm not sure if it's grass fed or what they call it but it's some special kind. It's always been some really good meat. Fills our freezer for a good year.

I'm trying to get my sister to split the 100 pounds with me. I just don't have that much room in my freezer with all the vodka in there.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
09-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm trying to get my sister to split the 100 pounds with me. I just don't have that much room in my freezer with all the vodka in there.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Funny story. My first year I went back deer hunting with the family when I got there my cousins played it up that I may not get one. It's a bit of a competition in the family on who gets one, or the biggest etc. Well they kept giving me shit that I probably wouldn't have the nerve to pull the trigger on one. Well needless to say first morning out my dad shoots a really nice 8 pointer. Big deer too. He was walking around with his chest puffed out all proud of his nice trophy. So I go back out in the afternoon to my blind. Not seeing anything and the sun is going down. I'm just about ready to pack it up and I see this massive doe jump out into the field I'm sitting in. My license was an either or one (means I can shoot a male or female) so I raise my rifle cause I was thinking there's a lot of meat on that bitch. Lol. Well right before I pull the trigger out jump this huge buck. It was a little over 150 yards out but I could tell it was big. I slide my rifle over and bang!!! The things turns and takes off, jumps a fence, and heads down into a ravine. Well I thought I missed it so I pack up and start walking out of the field towards where they were. When I get there I see a huge puddle of blood. I started shaking. Followed the blood drop for a while and decided I was gonna need help. Go back to the farm house and get my cousin and my brother who had just come in. We go back out in the dark to look for it. After climbing down the ravine with flashlights my brother finds it. His first words were "did you shoot a cow?". It was big. Lol. Took 4 of us an hour to drag it about 50 yards up that hill. We barely could get it into the truck. When we got back to the house my dad was there waiting cause someone called him to let him know I got one. He had been at the bar celebrating his kill. Lol. Well when he saw it he gave me that "you punk kid" look. It dressed out at over 250lbs. That's big for a white tail. My brother ended up getting one the next day. Well on the way home we had to call my mom to go buy new freezers for everyone. My parents got a big standup freezer and sh bought 2 of these smaller ones. One for me and one for my brother. It topped them all off with all the deer meat.

Eli
09-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Funny story. My first year I went back deer hunting with the family when I got there my cousins played it up that I may not get one. It's a bit of a competition in the family on who gets one, or the biggest etc. Well they kept giving me shit that I probably wouldn't have the nerve to pull the trigger on one. Well needless to say first morning out my dad shoots a really nice 8 pointer. Big deer too. He was walking around with his chest puffed out all proud of his nice trophy. So I go back out in the afternoon to my blind. Not seeing anything and the sun is going down. I'm just about ready to pack it up and I see this massive doe jump out into the field I'm sitting in. My license was an either or one (means I can shoot a male or female) so I raise my rifle cause I was thinking there's a lot of meat on that bitch. Lol. Well right before I pull the trigger out jump this huge buck. It was a little over 150 yards out but I could tell it was big. I slide my rifle over and bang!!! The things turns and takes off, jumps a fence, and heads down into a ravine. Well I thought I missed it so I pack up and start walking out of the field towards where they were. When I get there I see a huge puddle of blood. I started shaking. Followed the blood drop for a while and decided I was gonna need help. Go back to the farm house and get my cousin and my brother who had just come in. We go back out in the dark to look for it. After climbing down the ravine with flashlights my brother finds it. His first words were "did you shoot a cow?". It was big. Lol. Took 4 of us an hour to drag it about 50 yards up that hill. We barely could get it into the truck. When we got back to the house my dad was there waiting cause someone called him to let him know I got one. He had been at the bar celebrating his kill. Lol. Well when he saw me he gave me that "you punk kid" look. It dressed out at over 250lbs. That's big for a white tail. My brother ended up getting one the next day. Well on the way home we had to call my mom to go buy new freezers for everyone. My parents got a big standup freezer and sh bought 2 of these smaller ones. One for me and one for my brother. It topped them all off with all the deer meat.

That is a great story...Can I get in on that meat split lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
09-29-2014, 10:28 AM
That is a great story...Can I get in on that meat split lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

I haven't been back in a few years now. Seasons approaching fast so not sure if I'll make it back this year. I need to talk to my brother and dad about it. If they're gonna go I might just fly back there so I won't miss much work.

Eli
09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I haven't been back in a few years now. Seasons approaching fast so not sure if I'll make it back this year. I need to talk to my brother and dad about it. If they're gonna go I might just fly back there so I won't miss much work.

I think you should take advantage of the opportunity so I can get some yummy food. 😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

SnoC653
09-29-2014, 11:02 AM
I think you should take advantage of the opportunity so I can get some yummy food. 

Sent from my Bat Cave

Between the venison, beef, and mulberries you just need to move to Iowa.

Grass fed beef is just a new marketing ploy to raise beef prices. All beef used to be grass fed. They were range animals, which made the beef stringy. Corn fed beef replaced them because they could bring the feed to the steer so the beef was more tender ( less muscle since they didn't move around). Now with the organic push they are back to grass fed. They may only feed them hay, but its no better than feeding them organic corn without the steroids. The major difference is that grass usually ends up on the ground where the steer walks on it, deficates on it, urinates on it, and then eats it. Check out what really goes on in feed lots before you decide how healthy grass fed beef really is.

Eli
09-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Between the venison, beef, and mulberries you just need to move to Iowa.

Grass fed beef is just a new marketing ploy to raise beef prices. All beef used to be grass fed. They were range animals, which made the beef stringy. Corn fed beef replaced them because they could bring the feed to the steer so the beef was more tender ( less muscle since they didn't move around). Now with the organic push they are back to grass fed. They may only feed them hay, but its no better than feeding them organic corn without the steroids. The major difference is that grass usually ends up on the ground where the steer walks on it, dedicated on it, urinates on it, and then eats it. Check out what really goes on in feed lots before you decide how healthy grass fed beef really is.

I know I really need to move.

I don't want to misrepresent my intentions...it's not for health reasons, it's Bc it is delicious! I'm lucky I live alone and don't have kids BC what I spend on groceries is unreal. I'm a total food lover. On the inside I'm a 400 pound chick. :( Fat Eli Rules! ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
09-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I know I really need to move.

I don't want to misrepresent my intentions...it's not for health reasons, it's Bc it is delicious! I'm lucky I live alone and don't have kids BC what I spend on groceries is unreal. I'm a total food lover. On the inside I'm a 400 pound chick. :( Fat Eli Rules! ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

If you're 400 pounds I must weigh about a ton. Lol

Eli
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM
If you're 400 pounds I must weigh about a ton. Lol

On the inside and it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
09-29-2014, 03:36 PM
What else does a cow normally eat other than grass:headscratch::headscratch:

Eli
09-29-2014, 03:37 PM
What else does a cow normally eat other than grass:headscratch::headscratch:

I think corn. I'm not 100% sure on the details all I know is the grass guys are the yummiest IMO. You've gotta try it at least once. I realize I sound like a dealer lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I think corn. I'm not 100% sure on the details all I know is the grass guys are the yummiest IMO. You've gotta try it at least once. I realize I sound like a dealer lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

C'mon now. I've never seen a cow wandering the fields chowin' down on a corn cob, they always bend over and eat grass. :)

Eli
09-29-2014, 03:43 PM
C'mon now. I've never seen a cow wandering the fields chowin' down on a corn cob, they always bend over and eat grass. :)

OMG Ziggy, that was hilarious!

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
09-29-2014, 03:46 PM
On the inside and it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

:eek: :eek:

HolyMoly
09-29-2014, 05:51 PM
All grass fed beef is fed corn/grains to fatten them up and make them tender. Cows raised on 100% grass are not tender. It is more of a marketing term, because corn feed beef is mostly fed grass.

Grass fed is supposed to be more environmentally friendly, but there is no real difference other than grass fed down plays the corn part of their diet, or ignores it all together.

Organic certified will make sure your beef was not fed gmo corn/grains. No such thing as gmo grass (not yet), but the grass can be certified organic.

Eli
09-29-2014, 05:55 PM
All grass fed beef is fed corn/grains to fatten them up and make them tender. Cows raised on 100% grass are not tender. It is more of a marketing term, because corn feed beef is mostly fed grass.

Grass fed is supposed to be more environmentally friendly, but there is no real difference other than grass fed down plays the corn part of their diet, or ignores it all together.

Organic certified will make sure your beef was not fed gmo corn/grains. No such thing as gmo grass (not yet), but the grass can be certified organic.

This is the stuff in eating. I know it was organic, the guy at whole foods explained that part to me. But, I guess I just assumed all grass is organic. There is no GMO stuff in the ones I'm referring to. Thanks HM!

Sent from my Bat Cave

HolyMoly
09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
This is the stuff in eating. I know it was organic, the guy at whole foods explained that part to me. But, I guess I just assumed all grass is organic. There is no GMO stuff in the ones I'm referring to. Thanks HM!

Sent from my Bat Cave
Not all grass is organic. The pasture needs to be free of pesticides and other chemicals not allowed by the standards, and not just that they don't use them, does any runoff that makes it to the pastures include those chemicals? A pasture down stream from other agriculture often can't be certified unless the upstream stuff is also certified.

HolyMoly
09-29-2014, 06:01 PM
But, just because something is not certified organic, doesn't mean out doesn't meet the requirements. One of the best deals I got was beef that got onto neighboring fields, that was not certified organic. But in reality, it was the same organic grass, but the fields were never certified...because certification is not cheap.

Eli
09-29-2014, 06:08 PM
But, just because something is not certified organic, doesn't mean out doesn't meet the requirements. One of the best deals I got was beef that got onto neighboring fields, that was not certified organic. But in reality, it was the same organic grass, but the fields were never certified...because certification is not cheap.

Please refer to post #13. I do appreciate all the info. I think the place I got the beef from is certified.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM

And now for the Sprouts taste test ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
If I would've had "grass fed organic beef" first from Sprouts, I would've saved myself a lot of money bc I would never eat this again. I'm kinda thankful I went to WF first.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
09-29-2014, 08:05 PM
If I would've had "grass fed organic beef" first from Sprouts, I would've saved myself a lot of money bc I would never eat this again. I'm kinda thankful I went to WF first.

Sent from my Bat Cave

What's the verdict? What's good or not worth the extra $$? I'm confused now.

CH3NO2

mjc
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Try the Bison steaks from Sprouts, they are great. That is the only steaks I eat any more.

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:13 PM
What's the verdict? What's good or not worth the extra $$? I'm confused now.

CH3NO2

It was awful. I'll never buy meat from there again. I'm going to stick with Whole Foods until my cow is fully grown and ready to be eaten ;)

I ordered beef from True Pasture Beef and I'm waiting for my delivery, won't be here until the second week of October. It's a local place so I guess I'm waiting for the cow to fully grow. It's like when you go to a restaurant and they take a long time to get your eggs and you say "what are they doing waiting for the chicken to lay an egg?" Well I guess that's me. But, in the interim I'll get my meat from Whole Foods.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Try the Bison steaks from Sprouts, they are great. That is the only steaks I eat any more.

I don't know anything about bison, I've only had the burgers. I'll try it, any recommendations for cuts?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
It was awful. I'll never buy meat from there again. I'm going to stick with Whole Foods until my cow is fully grown and ready to be eaten ;)

I ordered beef from True Pasture Beef and I'm waiting for my delivery, won't be here until the second week of October. It's a local place so I guess I'm waiting for the cow to fully grow. It's like when you go to a restaurant and they take a long time to get your eggs and you say "what are they doing waiting for the chicken to lay an egg?" Well I guess that's me. But, in the interim I'll get my meat from Whole Foods.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Gotcha, I haven't seen it around here for sale or I'm not paying attention.
Closest thing we have is Trader Joes and I don't know if they sell meat.

CH3NO2

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Gotcha, I haven't seen it around here for sale or I'm not paying attention.
Closest thing we have is Trader Joes and I don't know if they sell meat.

CH3NO2

They sell meat. I once bought organic chicken from there back in 2008, I won't buy meat there either. Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:21 PM
They sell meat. I once bought organic chicken from there back in 2008, I won't buy meat there either. Lol

The organic chicken, free range ones at Whole Foods is super yummy too! Oh dear I'm gonna need a second job to keep up with my food and wine habits.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
09-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave

'08 or the chicken musta been really bad for you to remember that. 😜

CH3NO2

Eli
09-29-2014, 08:33 PM
'08 or the chicken musta been really bad for you to remember that. 😜

CH3NO2

It was...it tasted so bitter and gross.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
09-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Go try the beef from Tip Top meats in Carlsbad, it's close by for you. Everything I have ever gotten there has been fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

rivergames
09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I really enjoy grass fed Tuna :fishing1:

Eli
09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

She was nice enough to drop off my meat 2 weeks early to my office, no delivery charge. Princess Eli is thrilled! I hope it's yummy.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
09-30-2014, 05:54 PM

She was nice enough to drop off my meat 2 weeks early to my office, no delivery charge. Princess Eli is thrilled! I hope it's yummy.

Sent from my Bat CaveI'm gonna sick PETA on you :D

Stainless
09-30-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm gonna sick PETA on you :D

People Eat Tasty Animals?

CH3NO2

Eli
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm gonna sick PETA on you :D

I don't eat carbs, but I'll take an occasional PITA ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
09-30-2014, 06:06 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave:yikes:

Paul65K
09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
People Eat Tasty Animals?

CH3NO2
Exactly :D

Eli
09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Exactly :D

Apparently the ones I just bought live better than most people. And who are we kidding, they wouldn't be alive but for the purpose of become my next meal 😱😱😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
09-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave
If I had a dirty mind I could read something else into this statement :rolleyes

ChumpChange
09-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Bravo!

Eli
09-30-2014, 07:00 PM

You do have a dirty mind...so do I and I can't figure out what was dirty about it...it's not like I said "burrito" 😁😳

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
09-30-2014, 09:22 PM
You do have a dirty mind...so do I and I can't figure out what was dirty about it...it's not like I said "burrito" 

Sent from my Bat Cave

Pain In The Ass. Different P. :D

Eli
09-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Pain In The Ass. Different P. :D

I don't eat carbs but I'll take the occasional pain in the ass...wait...I see where you're going with this. 😱

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't eat carbs but I'll take the occasional pain in the ass...wait...I see where you're going with this. 

Sent from my Bat CaveWe always knew you were smart.......just a little slow sometimes:wink2:

ChumpChange
10-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't eat carbs but I'll take the occasional penis in the ass...wait...I see where you're going with this. ��

Sent from my Bat Cave

Oh my!!!!

HolyMoly
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Oh my!!!!
I heard it was more than occasional. I read it on the interwebs, so it must be true.

riverrunner1984
10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
oh my!!!!

lmfao!!!

314joey
10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
I'll eat any beef, as long as it's a ribeye...........mooooooooo

Paul65K
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm with you Jim.....Ribeye or Prime Rib....all the same thing actually just the preparation is different :D

314joey
10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm with you Jim.....Ribeye or Prime Rib....all the same thing actually just the preparation is different :D

I can see we're going to get along great when we get out to hang out with you guys. :thumb:

riverrunner1984
10-01-2014, 05:01 PM

I rotisseried my first prime rib this past Easter. It was a 16.5 lb bone in and I must say, it was the best damn steak I have personally made. Mastros tops my list for best steaks!

Eli
10-01-2014, 05:18 PM

I'll eat any meat too...I just prefer the yummy stuff. I do like the cuts with bones in them.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
10-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Oh my!!!!

I heard it was more than occasional. I read it on the interwebs, so it must be true.

Really? You two are like Arnold and Danny in Twins.

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
10-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Bromance ?

HolyMoly
10-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Really? You two are like Hanz and Franz

Sent from my Bat Cave

http://youtu.be/S-GLO_PydqU

Eli
10-01-2014, 08:10 PM

This may be right up your alley.

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
10-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I'll eat any meat too...

Sent from my Bat Cave

Oh my!!!!

314joey
10-02-2014, 05:15 AM
I love sauteed shrooms, dahm, they're good with a nice medium rare ribeye.

2manymustangs
10-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I'll eat any meat too...I just prefer the yummy stuff. I do like the cuts with bones in them.

Sent from my Bat Cave

:idhitit:

I love sauteed shrooms, dahm, they're good with a nice medium rare ribeye.

x 314 must be a midwest thang... :eat:

Eli
10-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Dinner...let's hope it's worth the money.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

I'm so screwed...I need a second job bc this meat tastes delicious!

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
10-07-2014, 06:17 AM
No, you need me to help you eat all that beef.

Eli
10-07-2014, 06:25 AM
No, you need me to help you eat all that beef.

That's the 1/2 I grilled, there was plenty for 3 of us. I couldn't even finish what I grilled. It just melts in my mouth.

Sent from my Bat Cave